Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election (6748 Views)

Tribunal Upholds Ikpeazu's Election As Abia Governor / Tribunal Upholds Ajimobi’s Election As Oyo Governor / Tribunal Upholds Lam-Adesina And Olugbemi’s Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by jibitoye(m): 2:08pm On Feb 26, 2008
Idupaul, so you think our problems can be sorted in an atmosphere of injustice? You think if you are okay, then everyone else is okay? You need a rethink here,
I am sorry, Yaradua does not owe you anything, (OBJ did not either which is why we are here now). You had no hand in him getting there.In fact, you can not hold him accountable if he fails to solve some of our problems, He does not have your mandate to do that and neither do you have any hope in hell or paradise to question him on that. The entrenched system has made sure of that. That is the question here and if you fail to realise that it is a shame.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by mygee33(m): 2:09pm On Feb 26, 2008
UP UP YARADUA,,,,

DOWN DOWN ,

I KNOW WE WILL DEFINITELY HAVE BETTERS DAYS WITH HIM AS THE C- IN - C. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT MAYBE YOU LL WAIT FOR ANOTHER 4 YE-- 8 YEARS!
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by SkyBlue1: 2:11pm On Feb 26, 2008
ojimbo IV:

we should all understand that the tribunal looked at the evidence tendered before it and made a decision. if there was reason to annul the elections trust me jega and ogebe wouldn't have held back and that is what justice is all about.

lol, ojimbo, you just made my day with your last comment. Lack of evidence? Insult upon injury. Do you know why the court set this day for a verdict and not even two months further? They stopped taking evidence and listening to witnesses that Buhari provided. They came to that decision, in order to speed up the hearing because the evidence and witnesses were just too much. Everyday, a lot more witnesses and more evidence, and they are now saying something they actually stopped taking was in short supply? LOL, God please have mercy on us. It would have been less insulting if they said the ruling went the way it did because someone messed in court and they wanted to just get out of there fast
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Nobody: 2:13pm On Feb 26, 2008
I'm with Yar'Adua all da way!!!!! cool
Screw Buhari, Atiku and da whole disgruntled crew. angry
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by idupaul: 2:23pm On Feb 26, 2008
@jibitoye
I am sorry, Yaradua does not owe you anything, (OBJ did not either which is why we are here now). You had no hand in him getting there.In fact, you can not hold him accountable if he fails to solve some of our problems,

your wrong, Any body that takes up the mantle to become The president /head of state or whatever of this nation owes all Nigerians a lot meaning he will take decision to better the collective lot of us all, it doesn't matter if he got there by Vote, rifles or even a god damn rocket, the fact he elected to sit there he has automatically made himself answerable to the people, See am past looking for a messiah to turn the country around , i just need the nearest devil to fix the light and other infrastructure.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by desgiezd(m): 2:24pm On Feb 26, 2008
What a nation! So the tribunal is now telling us that all election observers (both local & foreign) are wrong. They are telling us that Professor Iwu[b]ruwuru[/b] is right to have ascribed 80% mark to himself and INEC. They are telling us that all the things Yar Adua himself has said about coming to power through a flawed election is wrong.

All future election riggers have just been given a blank cheque for election rigging. Afterall, its been said that subsequent elections in Nigeria have been getting worse! With this kind of verdict, what will stop the OBJs, the Adedibus, the Maurice Iwu[b]ruwurus[/b] of this world to stop rigging elections! What a nation! A nation that thrives on deceit! Just as one is about doffing his hat for the judiciary. This is too shameful!
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by ojimboIV: 2:28pm On Feb 26, 2008
Sky Blue:

lol, ojimbo, you just made my day with your last comment. Lack of evidence? Insult upon injury. Do you know why the court set this day for a verdict and not even two months further? They stopped taking evidence and listening to witnesses that Buhari provided. They came to that decision, in order to speed up the hearing because the evidence and witnesses were just too much. Everyday, a lot more witnesses and more evidence, and they are now saying something they actually stopped taking was in short supply? LOL, God please have mercy on us. It would have been less insulting if they said the ruling went the way it did because someone messed in court and they wanted to just get out of there fast

perhaps someone saved the day by farting, good gracious that must have been a smelly one.

you'll agree with me that the tribunal had got to stick to a defined timeline, because dilly-dallying or otherwise will just amount to unseriousness. buhari and atiku had enough time to put their cases together. if they approached it haphazardly, who's to blame?
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by deor03(m): 2:29pm On Feb 26, 2008
Sky Blue:

People keep using Kenya as an example, why is there violence in Kenya? Is it not because of a perceived injustice? It is only in Nigeria that reasoning will be upside down. This has nothing to do with putting someone else in Power and this is so much bigger then Yaradua, they couldn't just have asked for a re-run? When i hear the word democracy tagged to Nigeria i can't help but laugh.

But for real though, I seriously do think that since the majority seem to be so willing to settle with this, we should just stop deceiving ourselves and move to stop holding elections in Nigeria. Why do we spend billions and waste time on elections if there is no point? The assembly should seriously consider this, it would save us money in the long run. OBJ or IBB or Adedibu can just select our next leader in 4 years time instead of putting Nigerians through the farce and insult called Nigerian (magic) elections.

Just remeber what happened between BUSH and Al gore, 8 years ago. There is something called National interest. No doubt i welcome this judgement, it is something  i have  always wished for because i know the  next election will be better
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by jibitoye(m): 2:31pm On Feb 26, 2008
Idupaul wrote: "your wrong, Any body that takes up the mantle to become The president /head of state or whatever of this nation owes all Nigerians a lot meaning he will take decision to better the collective lot of us all, it doesn't matter if he got there by Vote, rifles or even a god damn rocket, the fact he elected to sit there he has automatically made himself answerable to the people, See am past looking for a messiah to turn the country around , i just need the nearest devil to fix the light and other infrastructure"

I can't believe this, There goes the hope of a nation, If we all will think like this, one wonders what will be left, as a nation, We might as well all go to bed and forget joining the rest of civilisation.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Fostercat(m): 2:33pm On Feb 26, 2008
thank God oooooooooooo.My brother na yar adua ADC, I guess u know what dat means to me grin cheesy
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by SkyBlue1: 2:39pm On Feb 26, 2008
LOL, i don't even know why i am laughing when my hope for the nation is dimming. @ dear03 I waited to hear that phrase all day and i was not disappointed. NATIONAL INTEREST? How do you know the elections will be better next time? please enlighten me? I am not trying to be annoying, i just need that response, do you know something we don't? I am tired of stating the obvious over and over again, but OBJs last election that brought him into power was rigged, election was upheld again by the tribunal, 4 years later, the worst elections in Nigerian history, tribunal has basically said, no it wasn't the worst and we were all dreaming, and now you say you think it would be better next time? @ ojimbo, there was no dilly dallying about presenting the witnesses and evidence, unless you were in the court and you can tell us otherwise. So why are they now saying it was an evidence issue? I really just don't know what to say. How many times must something in Nigeria occur before we begin to see a trend? This "National interest" spin and even the more popular one "For peace" are slogans politicians and leaders have used to justify everything bad they have done for the past how many decades. And yet we are still e go bettering *sigh*
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by osat02: 2:42pm On Feb 26, 2008
the court has spoken, let the litigants test the soundness of the judgement on appeal. the judgement only confirms the axiom that the law is in the tradition of the court
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by BlackMamba(m): 2:45pm On Feb 26, 2008
We are already taking small forward steps in the unfamiliar terrain of democracy and rule of law. All the annulments so far by the Judiciary would never have happened in the Nigeria we've gotten used to. We might want to try Yaradua in moving things in the right direction. Obviously the process that brought him in is flawed, but the whole country and most of its people are flawed in terms of democratic principles. Having another election is not an overnight cure. Hopefully the little sign so far by Yaradua upholding the rule of law is the key to making baby steps towards a stable progressive country.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by idupaul: 2:46pm On Feb 26, 2008
How do you know the elections will be better next time?

Right now i dont even care whether election ever hold again or not, If they like they should import a new prez when the time comes or do whatever, I only want to hear the county's problems were eventually fixed.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by debosky(m): 2:48pm On Feb 26, 2008
I don't know by what measures you came to the conclusion about the 'worst elections'

If the case was taken to court and argued out, and the law still permits the results to stand, that is something I would prefer to rely on than your own perception of things.

What makes you think that a re-run of the election would simply sort things out? Going by your reasoning that 'it would be worse the next time' what stops it being worse at the re-run you are clamouring for?

This is not a matter of 'national interest' to me - the judges as far as I've heard have not given that as the basis for their judgments. If by their reading of the law the elections were flawed but still had sufficient validity to stand, then that is a decision I am going to abide by.

The tribunal has not said anyone was dreaming, many governorship elections have been nullified, many house of reps/senatorial elections have been nullified - at a rate unseen before in the history of Nigerian politics. Taking all that into cognisance, does it instantaneously mean that the election should be cancelled? Even if there were more irregularities in this election than the other ones, does it still stand as a credible victory in the eyes of the law?

That is the crucial question here. You might perceive things differently, but that will not change the facts on the ground.

Elections will be re-run in a number of states shortly, let us see if that will be the magical solution you are hoping for, as if the same old riggers are not still alive and kicking.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by obstead200(m): 2:51pm On Feb 26, 2008
As far as I am concerned, I am happy with the jugdement of the tribunal. Atiku and buhari are all very big rogues. at least yar' adua is a lesser rogue. we can manage him.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by AKO1(m): 2:55pm On Feb 26, 2008
Posted by: debosky

I don't know by what measures you came to the conclusion about the 'worst elections'

If the case was taken to court and argued out, and the law still permits the results to stand, that is something I would prefer to rely on than your own perception of things.

What makes you think that a re-run of the election would simply sort things out? Going by your reasoning that 'it would be worse the next time' what stops it being worse at the re-run you are clamouring for?

This is not a matter of 'national interest' to me - the judges as far as I've heard have not given that as the basis for their judgments. If by their reading of the law the elections were flawed but still had sufficient validity to stand, then that is a decision I am going to abide by.

The tribunal has not said anyone was dreaming, many governorship elections have been nullified, many house of reps/senatorial elections have been nullified - at a rate unseen before in the history of Nigerian politics. Taking all that into cognisance, does it instantaneously mean that the election should be cancelled? Even if there were more irregularities in this election than the other ones, does it still stand as a credible victory in the eyes of the law?

That is the crucial question here. You might perceive things differently, but that will not change the facts on the ground.

Elections will be re-run in a number of states shortly, let us see if that will be the magical solution you are hoping for, as if the same old riggers are not still alive and kicking.

Well said, very consoling indeed, very very consoling,
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by flyKUDE(m): 3:05pm On Feb 26, 2008
Men drove past the venue today, lots of policemen/civil defense ppl there, if the election were upturned, yawa for dey oh!!!, thank God all went well.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Mariory(m): 3:08pm On Feb 26, 2008
debosky:

Well said. I had always said the irregularities reported in specific parts of the country were not enough to overturn the majority Yaradua won. The majority was just too large.
Even Atiku and Buhari didn't go to the courts to say they won the majority. They just wanted new elections.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Novice1(m): 3:10pm On Feb 26, 2008
We may as well include election rigging in our constitution.
that way they will save us the pains of tribunals and appeal courts.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by sara2007: 3:13pm On Feb 26, 2008
me, I am very happy with the ruling.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Reptyle(m): 3:15pm On Feb 26, 2008
Sad day for Nigeria indeed!! For me, its not about the personalities involved. I am not a fan of any of the three politicians involved. However, we all know what we saw during the elections and I strongly believe that this judgement is an aberration and a collective slap on the faces of all Nigerians. Neways, nuff said, at least yar'adua aka baba go slow can pick up speed in developing and implementing more policies. For instance, the power sector needs urgent intervention.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by BigB11(m): 3:16pm On Feb 26, 2008
If the election is inaccurate, technically by law it suppose to be annulled and done over.
Even Yar'Adua admitted to the irregularities.

I'm not sure if it's OK to continue to annul the election of these governors and see absolutely nothing wrong with the presidential election. It doesn't make any sense; they are all guilty of the same crime!

But I will talk the verdict, Yar'Adua is an excellent human being and he's totally determined to change things in Nigeria for better.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by almondjoy(f): 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2008
I am so glad about this.  Let us work with what we have right now.  Making too many changes will further distabilize the whole country especially at the federal level.

Irrespective of how Yaradua got to be the president of Nigeria, all we can do as Nigerians is to rally around him and give him all the support he needs.  We have another chance to get things right in say 2011.  

The primary focus of ALL Nigerians is to get things to move from point A to B and establish policies in place that would make progress possible.    We can only do this by supporting people in place right now.  Anything contrary to that would set Nigeria some 40 years back.  When are we ever going to learn to work together for the benefit of all?

Only God knows!
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by knotty(m): 3:20pm On Feb 26, 2008
the truth is the man y`adua won the election. if he didn`t, who else did?
atiku? or buhari?
nah.
i am yet to hear any one of them said they won the election. all i hear them say is they want a scientific election made in EINSTEIN laboratory.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by idupaul: 3:23pm On Feb 26, 2008
We have another chance to get things right in say 2011.

The only thing we need to get right is fixing this nation.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by chidichris(m): 3:27pm On Feb 26, 2008
3rd term was upheld in the tribunal.
all the same, i am asking that the court restore all those that came into power in the same manner and via the same selection.
this is extention of obj's administration and we can see selected justice on display.
why will the courts send the govs packing while the president remains-selective justice of our honourable judiciary.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by seunspice(m): 3:30pm On Feb 26, 2008
were we expecting anything other than that? when PDP loudmouths had already started shouting Yar Adua's victory of today since last month.
I knew it would be thee case though, i am yet to come across anyone who voted for Atku or Buhari during the elections. i did not vote, but i think he had the largest votes in lagos and environs.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by ourdele: 3:31pm On Feb 26, 2008
But come 2 think of it, National interest or Peace, if the Tribunal has annulled the Election, Who then becomes the President, David Mark? Mr Speaker (39yrs) or chief judge (master minder in recent corruption in Nigeria Judiciary)

Or

Another Shonekan grin grin

Think about it, lipsrsealed

Also, you reading this post now, did u vote? cool cool
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by almondjoy(f): 3:32pm On Feb 26, 2008
idupaul:

The only thing we need to get right is fixing this nation.

How? By plotting civilian style coups using the jaundiced judiciary in Nigeria?  We might as well continue till the 3rd Millenium then and see if we do not go back to prehistoric years.  We are never going to get anything done that way.  We need to build on what we have---I think we have enough checks and balances to make it work.  If only our hearts are in the right places most of the time.

The reason I say it is a hopeless situation in Nigeria.  We like to destroy existing ideas in place no matter how imperfect, without making room for any kind of improvement.  Talk about taking 2 steps forward and 100 steps backwards.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by Elgaxton(m): 3:38pm On Feb 26, 2008
Hi all,

Let's assume that Y'aradua lost in this matter.

Please tell me who you think can take his place without the normal Naija

groove/stealing ati bebe lo.

Make una tell me o.
Re: Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election by BigB11(m): 3:39pm On Feb 26, 2008
Nigeria is indirectly controlled by less than 20 people; if you can purely understand this fact, things will be a lot clearer to all.
That is the way it is; even United States went through their own election issues (Mr.Bush and Florida) and nothing came out of the disagreement at the end of the day, It takes a lot to remove a president that has the backing of the big fish.

Don't waste your time; it is what it is!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Andy Uba Wins Anambra Senatorial Rerun Election / Sign Petition To Invite GEJ To Hardtalk / Oyo Is Difficult To Govern – Ajimobi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.