Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup (13672 Views)

Photos Of World Leaders Watching The World Cup / Live Updates 9 Jan: Winners At The 2013 Glo CAF Awards!!! / Nigeria Cannot Win The 2013 Nations Cup - Waidi Akanni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by semid4lyfe(m): 4:37pm On Jan 09, 2013
Hmmm, better go subscribe for DSTV if you want to watch this Nations cup cos it ain't sure our Local stations will broadcast it. . . . .

Even if the matches will be our local stations, it'd most likely be the opening match, Nigeria's matches and the final match only undecided

Got this from Channels TV Sports Anchor & Presenter twitter page. See the pics of Toyin Ibitoye's tweets below

https://twitter.com/ToyinIbitoye

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by semid4lyfe(m): 4:40pm On Jan 09, 2013
His tweets seem to be corroborated by this news report:

http://allsports.com.ng/2013/01/07/nigerians-set-to-miss-out-on-watching-the-2013-nations-cup/

Owing by the way Confederation of African Football(CAF) sold its TV rights,Nigerians might not be able to watch the 2013 African Nations Cup on terrestrial TV(local stations).

It is understood that the rights owners, Sportfive, are asking for astronomical figures,before local channels can beam live the competition,in the Nigerian terrain.

SportsFive are insisting on €6M fee,for Nigeria alone,which is a high figure for Nigerian TV stations to part with.

If the Broadcasting Association of Nigeria(BON) does not meet the financial demands,required for the acquisition of the rights,then Nigerians would resort to satellite decoders,if they wish to view the tournament.

Since CAF sold its TV rights to the current holders,Sportfive,Africans have been having difficulties watching their national teams.

For instance,virtually all the away matches of the Super Eagles of Nigeria,during the 2013 Nations Cup and 2014 World Cup qualifiers last year,were not shown on TV,here in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by Deivid10(m): 4:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
Won't b surprise... To me they ve even done their worse already. Don't 4 get am d 1st to comment *dancing Milando* ... N for fast browsing pls use Airtel wen u re in 9ja

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by stacomaster(m): 4:43pm On Jan 09, 2013
Wtf.. Hw much is dstv? cry
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by Edithamazoya(m): 4:44pm On Jan 09, 2013
They should go and die. Who cares?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by Ejovwoke(m): 4:44pm On Jan 09, 2013
Who still dey watch local station?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by debosky(m): 4:44pm On Jan 09, 2013
For instance,virtually all the away matches of the Super Eagles of Nigeria,during the 2013 Nations Cup and 2014 World Cup qualifiers last year,were not shown on TV,here in Nigeria.

That is a disgrace - for goodness sake watching Super Eagles football is one of the few things the ordinary Nigerian has as a means of escaping the harsh realities of everyday life. Even if it costs 6m, BON should pay it for Nigerians and the government should foot the bill. Isn't this same government spending far more money on ridiculous things that don't benefit the ordinary Nigerian?

If I were the advertisers, I would avoid any sponsorship of the Eagles till the games are freely available on terrestrial tv, if not I'd be wasting my advertising resources reaching only a very limited market with DSTV.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by stacomaster(m): 4:46pm On Jan 09, 2013
Ejovwoke: Who still dey watch local station?
ah de watch o.. Hw much is Dstv?
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by TableLeg(m): 4:46pm On Jan 09, 2013
Not interested anyway ... So dont care!
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by JUO(m): 4:46pm On Jan 09, 2013
make them leave am for them
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by IYANGBALI: 4:47pm On Jan 09, 2013
What is dstv?na food?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by olapluto(m): 4:47pm On Jan 09, 2013
Hayatou selling our rights to his son. Very corrupt CAF. In this situation, I support BON. You do not have to pay so much when you dont make as much.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jan 09, 2013
DSTV is acting smart, monopolizing the market and NCC abi NBC or na NNPC is silly collecting bribe. God dey (na poor man prayer sha); hopefully T. B. Joshua's prophesies of sickness will catch up with those guys sealing their mouths coz they're filled with bribe(s).

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by semid4lyfe(m): 4:50pm On Jan 09, 2013
Ejovwoke: Who still dey watch local station?

Seriously, I wanted to tear into you but I'll refrain cos I'm a mod.

So I'll just ask you a question. . .how many Nigerians have DSTV?
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by omenziate(m): 4:52pm On Jan 09, 2013
Wetin concern me with African Nations cup? Mtschew, champions league on my mind jare.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by YuzedoII: 4:52pm On Jan 09, 2013
Fair enough... Who get time to watch Cape Verde kwanu? Like, people dey wey wan watch ALL the AFCON matches?? Hian! As long as i watch all the Super Eagles matches, issokay... After all, na like three group games and one quarter-final match Super Eagles go play before dem comot the tourney.. grin
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by stacomaster(m): 4:52pm On Jan 09, 2013
iv4fb: DSTV is acting smart, monopolizing the market and NCC abi NBC or na NNPC is silly collecting bribe. God dey (na poor man prayer sha); hopefully T. B. Joshua's prophesies of sickness will catch up with those guys sealing their mouths coz they're filled with bribe(s).
dstv na how much abeq
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by OmolodMilkman93(m): 4:53pm On Jan 09, 2013
Eh?
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by hyelhira: 4:54pm On Jan 09, 2013
IYA NGBALI: What is dstv?na food?

No, na drug (aspirin) grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by profola2be(m): 4:54pm On Jan 09, 2013
semid4lyfe: Hmmm, better go subscribe for DSTV if you want to watch this Nations cup cos e no sure sey our Local stations go show am. . . . .

Even if the matches will be our local stations, it'd most likely be the opening match, Nigerian matches and the final match only undecided

Got this from Channels TV Sports Anchor & Presenter twitter page. See the pics of Toyin Ibitoye's tweets below

https://twitter.com/ToyinIbitoye
As if watching the matches will bring succour or reduce the price of food stuffs in Bodija market.
The ones we've been watching all these while besides TUNISIA 94 and ATLANTA'96,what joy have we derive from watching Nigeria matches?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by etalker: 4:55pm On Jan 09, 2013
Na by force? After I pay those boiz will still give one a heart attack consequently of dia poor performance.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by dabrake(m): 4:55pm On Jan 09, 2013
Who still dey watch nations cup. My mind is on arsenal winning a trophy this season and not watch classic chickens play.
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by 3kay945(m): 4:56pm On Jan 09, 2013
I hope it not true. what are the poor really enjoying from this country? undecided
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by Okijajuju1(m): 4:57pm On Jan 09, 2013

8 Million Euros to broadcast this tournament live to all Nigerians is too much abi?!

But if that money were for a special committees estacode to travel to the Nations Cup, it would be approved... Arrant nonsense... angry

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by Maxymilliano(m): 4:58pm On Jan 09, 2013
debosky:
[b] Even if it costs 6m[\b], BON should pay it for Nigerians and the government should foot the bill.

We're talking of £6m (pounds) here, that's a hell of money to pay for broadcasting right for a tournament that is less than 30 days...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by AVWENAGHA: 4:59pm On Jan 09, 2013
Mod abeg nor ban dat craxy guy wen toke said whose da washings loc staions
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by faporori24: 5:01pm On Jan 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

I dey always like you cartoon things here
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by An0nimus: 5:03pm On Jan 09, 2013
And I was hoping to watch all the games this once cry
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by stacomaster(m): 5:04pm On Jan 09, 2013
AVWENAGHA: Mod abeg nor ban dat craxy guy wen toke said whose da washings loc staions
Nice Gbaguanz mayne.. cool
Re: Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup by audacious: 5:17pm On Jan 09, 2013
I totally agree with BON on this one. Let's face it, the African Nations Cup isn't all that entertaining so why make the cost for broadcasting rights ridiculously high? For me, the package BON is contemplating makes sense. The Opening match, Super Eagles and Final matches are enough (under the circumstances). Besides, how many Nigerians will watch Niger vs DR Congo?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osimhen Wins Serie A Player Of The Month Award For February / 4 Reasons Why Renewing Coach Keshi's Contract Is The Right Step / South Africa Vs Senegal : AFCON 2015 (1 - 1) On 23rd January 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.