Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,924 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Adamawa Gov Sacked ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adamawa Gov Sacked ! (1737 Views)

Boko Haram Kill Ex-Adamawa Gov Haruna’s Relative, Destroy Houses / Adamawa Gov Race: Ribadu, Marwa, Gundiri Suffer Setback / Adamawa Gov Denies Campaign Venues To Candidate Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by Jairzinho(m): 4:32pm On Feb 26, 2008
Gov Murtala Nyako of Adamawa sacked.

The appeal court sitting in Jos, has upheld the judgment of election tribunal, on the election petition brought against Nyako by the AC. the Speaker has been odered to take over pending elections within 90 days,  Grounds that the AC was unlawfully excluded, Justice Isa Ayo Salami delivered the ruling .

Please add your voice to the online poll requesting Maurice Iwu be arrested immediately :
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=108214.msg1902178#msg1902178
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by Jairzinho(m): 4:36pm On Feb 26, 2008
This is the clumsy governor with 4 wives. embarassed embarassed

Gov Nyako & his 4 wives

Are we to laugh or cry at stories like this?

IN the hurly-burly of Nigerian politics with its unending drama, another scandal has erupted in the form of four querulous wives determined to participate fully in the high stake game of governance. It all happened in Adamawa State where the Governor, Murtala Nyako (a retired Navy Vice-Admiral) , whose electoral victory is still being challenged at the tribunal, is facing yet another battle in what can literally be described as his kitchen cabinet of four ambitious wives. Governor Nyako, a fine officer from his days in the Navy, is married to four women - Hajia Zainab Nyako, Dr. Halima Nyako, Justice Binta Nyako and Hajia Asmau Nana Nyako. Each of his four wives wants to be the first lady of Adamawa State.

According to reports, Governor Nyako initially decided that the First Lady should be Hajia Zainab who is said to have accompanied him during his political campaigns and who is noted for her grassroots closeness to the ordinary women of Adamawa State. He instructed that a special First Lady letter headed paper should be printed for Zainab's office. But during the celebrations marking the governor's first 100 days in office, Zainab was said to have unilaterally invited about 20 media managers to the event. This brazen display of one-upmanship was said to have annoyed Governor Nyako.

But the governor should have seen his conjugal problems coming. When Hajia Turai Yar'Adua, Nigeria's First Lady, invited other governors' wives to a meeting in Aso Villa, Justice Binta, another Nyako wife, showed up at the door beating Hajia Zainab to it. A furious Zainab was politely but firmly sent away on the ground that there was no room for two Nyako wives at the Villa.

Governor Nyako, disturbed by these developments, decided on what he thought was an ingenuous solution to the problem of the four wives. He was going to share out responsibilities on the basis of four zones. He determined as follows: Justice Binta Nyako would be first lady in charge of Abuja Affairs, Dr. Halima Nyako would be first lady in charge of Health, and Hajia Zainab Nyako would be in charge of Political Affairs and Mobilisation, whilst Hajia Asmau Nana Nyako would be first lady in charge of the Home Front.

He then ordered that first lady letter headed papers should be printed for all four and, leaving nothing to disturb his delicately balanced solution, he directed that each wife's official car is to have a common number plate, ADGMH 1.

The political repercussions of Governor Nyako's novel solution have pitched him against warring women groups supporting this or that wife in their fight for supremacy. It is unlikely that the governor will know any peace whilst matters stand like this. But it is the people of Adamawa who suffer from these unfortunate distractions. Adamawa State, already a hotbed of partisan politics during the Obasanjo/Atiku regime can ill-afford another bout of rascality. Governor Nyako's primitive solution has quadrupled the illegal expenditure on the office of First Lady.

For instance, Adamawa State indigenes now need four cars, four offices with their retinue of staff, four new foundations, four of everything to maintain Nyako's four wives. For a group unknown to the constitution, this proliferation of invented duties merely adds salt to the wound. The bastardisation of the office of the First Lady is immoral and indefensible. We must call on Governor Nyako to put his house in order and save the people of Adamawa and Nigeria from ridicule. If he cannot manage four women, how then does he intend to manage an entire state?

We also call on Nyako's wives to be reasonable knowing that an escalation of their rivalry could only be detrimental to their husband's performance. They could, by their behaviour, sabotage the governance process in Adamawa State. They must know that Nigerians consider the office they so desperately covet as superfluous and an unnecessary waste of resources by persons who spend public money without accounting to the public.

Come to think of it, of Nyako's women, one is a doctor, the other a Justice, the other two are also said to be educated. Are these achievements not honourable enough or do they not have enough on their plate to fill their day? There are also security implications when four power-hungry women are clustered at the seat of power, plotting and planning. In an attempt to undo each other, they might in fact undo their husband. Nyako should call his wives to order.

Whilst not attempting to impose a solution on Governor Nyako, may we remind him that he is not the only polygamist among serving governors. May we also remind him that General Murtala Muhammed, Alhaji Shehu Shagari and General Muhammadu Buhari, to name a few, ruled this country without bothering us with their wives. Murtala Nyako's four wives should find something else to engage their attention and stop disturbing the Nigerian public with their indecorous conduct.

Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by Encomium(m): 7:28pm On Feb 26, 2008
The shameless retired Naval officer with 4 wives acting at the same time as first ladies has been sent packing. He wanted to reap where he did not sow. The good and lovely people of Adamawa State has been freed. Kudos to our judiciary.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by ndelta1(m): 8:20pm On Feb 26, 2008
All these nulification shows the BABOONATE NATURE of Obasanjo, poor beneficiary
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by saddik(m): 11:29pm On Feb 26, 2008
I can not read these thread without putting in some truth and reality in it.

I believe non of u all are from Adamawa state let alone know the true state of affairs in that state.

I am a true indigene of Adamawa state and also a close fiend to the Nyako family, but i may remind you that that will not affect my judgement and sentimental feelings for the Admiral, who since his childhood days till 2mrw is a no nonsense officer, straight forward and hard working.

Who remembesr the good old 8 wasted years that ATIKU/BONI HARUNA Milked our poor state, i bet u didnt know the worst road in Nigeria is the Gombe - Yola road, this was also confirmed when the Minister of Works though it couldnt be worst than her night mare when she embarked on the supposed to be 2hrs jorney that miraculously turned 5 hrs. I bet u she must have changed all the convoy of cars she had due to damaged shock absorbers and cracked glasses let alone the engine seats if u know what i mean.Do u know that it has been over 15 - 20 years that water even dripped out of taps in the capital of Yola? Till Nyako came on seat.

Did u know that he did not even move to the Govt. House? He still stayed in his own private house, He had only 4 cars to his convoy while ridding in his personal Range Rover.

Nyako has or should i say had started new projects in the state, including serious road development, Free health care in the rural areas, development and expansion of skools etc.

I really wish he wins if he decides to run again, I believe he will bring Adamawa state out of the darkness that Atiku and his fellow AC candidates plunged Adamawa State into.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by Encomium(m): 1:59am On Feb 27, 2008
Saddik, you are a syncophant, a chalatant and a political inconsequencial person. You are not saying the truth and I wonder whether you are looking for political appointment from the ex-governor, Nyako. He is gone and will never return as governor in Adamawa. QED
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by saddik(m): 8:04am On Feb 27, 2008
Encomium,

I wonder what u own objectives are?

At least i have said my own piece and the TRUTH. And i think i know whats best for my state than u do.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by doyin13(m): 8:47am On Feb 27, 2008
saddik:

Encomium,

I wonder what u own objectives are?

At least i have said my own piece and the TRUTH. And i think i know whats best for my state than u do.

wrong. . . .look around the world.

it is not a fundamental truth that people knw what is good for them even to the point of their own personal circumstances
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by tosinadeda: 10:17am On Feb 27, 2008
Saddik so y was his election nullified?
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by saddik(m): 11:38am On Feb 27, 2008
It was too obvious that OBJ wanted PDP to win just like any other state, not to mention the Atiku/OBJ fued and it happened to be that Nyako was the candidate, everyone knows the election was rigged. grin

But at the same time he was performing great. cool

All we want is someone who keeps his promise before he gets the power.

I bet u he will come back as the governor in the next 90 days, he has alot of support.

Cheers.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by tosinadeda: 12:41pm On Feb 27, 2008
So he also rigged right? So y cry blue murder?
By d way u listed d good things he did leaving out the bad ones
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by zillaxy: 1:42pm On Feb 28, 2008
hello everyone.

i just need to say that all you people abusing nyako NEED to SHUT THE Bleep UP!!!  thats right, you heard me.

i am a indegine of adamawa state, infact i know and have grown up with Atiku's childred. i happen to go back twice a year so i know how that state is.
no right thinking person who has EVER set foot there would say Nyako was a bad governor. i will even go so far as to say He is the best we have had since i was born.

in less than a year we have running water, many schools have been renovated, state roads are being reconstructed, there is now free healthcare for every pregnant woman and ALL children under the age of six, he has negotiated a deal with the camerounian government so that the dam that flows into nigeria from cameroun can be used to generate electricitry for the citizen of adamawa. he has negotiated with banks so that all citizen of the state can have easier access to loans. he even started a benefits system so that the unemployed in the state can atleast have money in their pockets each month. and of course spoke to the the federal government about THAT road that siddiqi mention. that road did infact damage the shock absorbers in our car and yes my head felt like it would explode becoz of how many times it hit the ceiling. don't forget how the flood incident was handled also. shift response that ensured the people had shelter and food almost immediately. my grandma even cried!

as for the so called bad things, the wife incident was WAYYYY overblown. i was there when the talk started and as a woman from a polygamous family myself, i know what kind of trouble it can be. the women are educated and all wanted to be on top. i don't agree with the way it played out but having said that i do not see the wives going out in convoys or buying new cars and all the other ridiculous scenes painted by the media. also there was the so called God punish the journalists nonsense. any person with even the most basic hausa skills knows that 'allah ya issa mini' means God is my witness/ God will stand for me.

so before any of you igbo people who live in america and have only probably smelt nigeria once, jump in here and say MY state should go back to the days when a bunch of greedy people CONTROLLED our lives in that state u need to get your facts right. and by control i pack a lot of meaning. Atiku that man,  God is our witness. when i have the time i'll list all his sins THAT i know of.

we are more than happy to hear critisism from you about the people's governor. if he does something wrong then say it. but do not DARE come in here and launch personal attacks on this man.

and to the person who asked why the election was annulled, it was Not for rigging. it was because OBJ and INEC in their desperation to make sure there is NO chance at all for AC to win, decided to disqualify AC's candidate a day before the elections. it turned out to be unneccessary because the man only won 4 LGAs in the end angry. i think the judgement is however a welcome one because first, this should set a precident that no stupid disqualifications should ever happen again but most of all it should put all the doubters in the know that no matter how many times elctions are held, the people of adamawa state will vote for progress a million times over corruption and self enrichment.

god bless us all.

MURTALA NYAKO SAI KA YI!!!!
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by zillaxy: 1:46pm On Feb 28, 2008
* SWIFT NOT SHIFT.

and yes just wanted to know how many of you here have actually been to adamawa?
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by zillaxy: 1:53pm On Feb 28, 2008
and please can someone tell us about the bad things? coz i really haven't seen or read about it.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by Jairzinho(m): 2:12pm On Feb 28, 2008
zillaxy:

hello everyone.

i just need to say that all you people abusing nyako NEED to SHUT THE Bleep UP!!!  thats right, you heard me.

i am a indegine of adamawa state, infact i know and have grown up with Atiku's childred. i happen to go back twice a year so i know how that state is.
no right thinking person who has EVER set foot there would say Nyako was a bad governor. i will even go so far as to say He is the best we have had since i was born.

[s]in less than a year we have running water, many schools have been renovated, state roads are being reconstructed, there is now free healthcare for every pregnant woman and ALL children under the age of six, he has negotiated a deal with the camerounian government so that the dam that flows into nigeria from cameroun can be used to generate electricitry for the citizen of adamawa. he has negotiated with banks so that all citizen of the state can have easier access to loans. he even started a benefits system so that the unemployed in the state can atleast have money in their pockets each month. and of course spoke to the the federal government about THAT road that siddiqi mention. that road did infact damage the shock absorbers in our car and yes my head felt like it would explode becoz of how many times it hit the ceiling. don't forget how the flood incident was handled also. shift response that ensured the people had shelter and food almost immediately. my grandma even cried![/s]

so before any of you igbo people who live in america and have only probably smelt nigeria once, jump in here and say MY state should go back to the days when a bunch of greedy people CONTROLLED our lives in that state u need to get your facts right. and by control i pack a lot of meaning. Atiku that man,  God is our witness. when i have the time i'll list all his sins THAT i know of.

we are more than happy to hear critisism from you about the people's governor. if he does something wrong then say it. but do not DARE come in here and launch personal attacks on this man.

god bless us all.

MURTALA NYAKO SAI KA YI!!!!

You spoilt all your good intentions with the insults.

Adamawa women don't decend to such levels. unless they're the Gov's mistress embarassed

Pls let us know what Atiku has done wrong.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by zillaxy: 5:11pm On Feb 28, 2008
nyako's mistress lol. no i'm not.

sorry i got a bit passionate about the whole thing. i have been reading so much 'emeka from america' nonsense that i had to reply at least one.
obviously the little letter g in God was a mistake. but u knew that already didn't u?

anyway, atiku's wrongs? where do i start?

first of all, Adamawa did not see any kind of development or even maintanace of schools or any other places of education in the state. the hospital was an absolute mess even, worse than it was before they started, because they did nothing at all to improve or even keep it the way it was. prices for treatment and drugs all went up making it very difficult for the people who need it to have access to healthcare. because of this almost all the doctors and nurses moved away from the hostipal most,  going over to the federal hostipal while others started their own practices.

our roads, God our roads. in 1999 the roads where passable and quite smooth. i always go to my village from Yola (our state catipal). in 2006 when i went back (to the village) ,  there were no roads. people had to drive in the grass beside the roads because there were soo many potholes. before that it had been bad (obviously detoriorated over the years) but God THAT was BAD. the number of fatalities had gone up so much. i doubt there are many who haven't lost someone they know to the roads. i include myself here.
the only time roads were repaired was when Atiku's daughter was getting married. all the roads leading to the govt house and airport had very quick 'pash pash' done to them. it was ridiculous.

atiku's boy boni, introduced what is known as the 'hot line' of electricity supply. so while most areas of the state were cut off others enjoyed almost constant electricity. generally the houses close to the government house and those in the old GRA. later on even this stopped as the electricity was channelled to Atiku's university. they had 24hr supply while the rest of adamawa was in darkness.

moving to his university, i think its a good thing for our state. BUT all the people who lived in the area were forcefully removed and the land was repossessed just so he could build the uni. no alternative land was even offered to them.

water supply had always been a problem. the govt never did ANYTHING to address this.
housing contracts were awarded and money was paid out but NOTHING was built. where did the money go?
the market in jimeta was closed becoz atiku bought the land and kicked all the traders out!!!
during times of floods the residents were totally ignored and left to fend by themselves even though they had nothing.
the govt in the last few months of its administration embezzled anything it could lay its hands on. from fertilizer money to money for pilgrimage. you name it they took it.

the govt 'privatised' the state owned hotel (yola international). i'll tell you what i saw the last time i walked past it. nothing! even the window frames had been stripped. govt officials, i was told by our gateman (or security guard for you yanks), had gone and taken everything in the hotel. from fridges to beds to curtains to carpets. everything. the ordinary people who had dared go there had been mercilessly beaten by the police. the hotel now lies in ruins.

to be honest i'm actually trying to think of a single good thing of that administration. well they completed the building of the state secretariat. it was almost completed by the naval guy, (kalu something) before he left in 1999. but anyway they completed and commissioned it. that was the only thing that administration did.

the problem with critisizig their regime is that there is nothing much that they actually did to start off with. the governor was always abroad, our infrastructure was let to rot, our schools where totally ignored and adamawa won the CBN crown of the most under-developed state in nigeria. we also finished at the top (number 3) of the 'highest level of poverty' list.

while there were a lot of land grabs and other things done to the detriment of we the indegines, it was the inactions that hurt the most. the fact that the govt watched everything get bad but never did anything. the fact that almost all the former govt officials bought houses abroad. the fact that our money was never used on us but instead went to anyone who was an atiku croonie. the only time we saw our money was when atiku decided to be 'generous'. long queues would form outside his back gate so he could hand out N150 to the people standing there. why do we mock our people so much?

anyway i'm at uni and have to go for a lecture.

in the meantime i beg anyone to come in here and write about atiku's achievements in Adamawa. PLEASE.
we nigerians have to remember, developments isn't a favour to us. ITS OUR RIGHT.

PS. i know a lot of you (almost all really) do not know a thing about how the previous administration was run so i'll tell you why we, the adamawa indegines blame atiku. he won our state in 1999 but passed it sown to Boni Haruna because he was called on to be the VP. boni did nothing without consulting atiku and was his boy/ stooge in every sense of the word. atiku was in charge boni was the poppet. he (Boni) has admitted this many times himself. he proudly proclaims that atiku is his godfather.

later.

BABA MAI MANGORO SAI KA YI!!!
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by Jairzinho(m): 7:01pm On Feb 29, 2008
zillaxy:

nyako's mistress lol. no i'm not.

Really? You can be my own mistress sha, as long as you're not fair in complexion& u have long hair  kiss
(lets hope my other mistresses on nairaland don't get to read this), but who cares,if Gov Nyako can arrange 4 wives for himself why not me hahaha grin

Anyway, I kind of agree Atiku may be 2 much of a settlement guy to make real progress,but u need to bow to the guy's political clout.

I say AC wins the election re-run,Adamawa people's life gets slightly worse & Admiral Nyako gets a 5th wife by Quarter 4 2008  wink
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by SkyBlue1: 7:43pm On Feb 29, 2008
@ zillaxy, good to here that Adamawa is improving and if all those points you put down as achievements are true then it is impressive governance indeed and all in 9 months? Still though, i think it is important that if there was serious electoral malpractice then the tribunal did the right thing. We really need to discourage this culture of electoral malpractrice before it become a norm. When elections come again, if you still want him to be the leader then go and vote for him, simple as that, that is the beauty of democracy.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by zillaxy: 1:20am On Mar 01, 2008
@ zillaxy, good to here that Adamawa is improving and if all those points you put down as achievements are true then it is impressive governance indeed and all in 9 months? Still though, i think it is important that if there was serious electoral malpractice then the tribunal did the right thing. We really need to discourage this culture of electoral malpractrice before it become a norm. When elections come again, if you still want him to be the leader then go and vote for him, simple as that, that is the beauty of democracy.
~sky blue

i agree. like i said i think the rulling was a good and sound one. i think it'll be good for nyako as well because now he can carry on the good work without question of his legitimacy. its almost certain he'll be back and we'll be ready to support him. (it's a shame i can't vote though, i'm not in yola at the mo)

i support objective critisism, so i was here to say it is in the best interest of all nigerians to do so, all the people in this site included. don't bash what u don't know becoz he is a good man. adamawa would be wise to vote for him.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by zillaxy: 1:43am On Mar 01, 2008
Really? You can be my own mistress sha, as long as you're not fair in complexion& u have long hair
(lets hope my other mistresses on nairaland don't get to read this), but who cares,if Gov Nyako can arrange 4 wives for himself why not me hahaha

Anyway, I kind of agree Atiku may be 2 much of a settlement guy to make real progress,but u need to bow to the guy's political clout.

I say AC wins the election re-run,Adamawa people's life gets slightly worse & Admiral Nyako gets a 5th wife by Quarter 4 2008
~jairzinho

discrimination against lightskin people? thats a first from a nigerian man.

sorry i'm a muslim myself so i don't appreciate the jokes about the wives and mistresses. sad

i do respect atiku for his clout, i'v been told its the definition of a true nigerian politician. however, thats wat i like about our man Nyako, skips the crap and goes straight to the task. we really don't need things to be worse. where are u? we can post him there.

i say u say wrong. and there i was thinkin u were concerned about justice and progress . SMH.

after i get through all the applications for the available wife/mistress position i've received, i'll get back at you with the verdict. but i tell u, its not lookin too good. jokes about lack of development, atiku support and worst of all, lack of a willingness to seriously commit angry amma have to beat yo ass and ur mistresses too, homeboy (head moving quickly from side to side, ghetto accent on point).
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by zillaxy: 1:46am On Mar 01, 2008
i don't know y stating my religion is a problem in my post. it keeps comin up with that 'a great one' nonsense.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by Jairzinho(m): 12:51pm On Mar 03, 2008
We had issues with Is,lam and death threats to the Nairaland moderator, to stay alive the man had to do some adjustments.

Do wear a hijab?
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by zillaxy: 6:13pm On Mar 03, 2008
death threats?? what

no i don't wear a hijab unless i'm in naij. not that big a deal in my family.

this is the first i've heard of a cyber hit! lol. u guys can be so over the top sometimes.
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by Jairzinho(m): 6:20pm On Mar 03, 2008
its a looooong story,so where in naija are u & are u on yahoo instant messager?
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by zillaxy: 6:56pm On Mar 03, 2008
no i'm not in naij. i could give u my hotmail instead.

where are u?
Re: Adamawa Gov Sacked ! by Jairzinho(m): 7:27pm On Mar 03, 2008
NAIJA wink

(1) (Reply)

D Outcome Of Wed 17th March, Fec Meeting! / Scorecard For Education In Lagos ( A Must Read ) / Exposing The Myth That Africa Is Backward Solely Because Of Black People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.