Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

Any Poultry Farmer In The House? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Any Poultry Farmer In The House? (2320 Views)

See The Animal This Farmer Caught (pic) / Poultry Farmer In Abuja / Abuja Poultry Farmer: Learning On The Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by darren20(m): 6:36pm On Feb 26, 2008
Hi All,
I intend to make an investment into poultry farming in Nigeria,and I need some advice from individuals that are already in the business,my initial investment is into poultry and afterward poultry feeds.I need to know the cost of setting this up and all other things that are involved.
Thanks.
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by kenflipper(m): 9:21pm On Feb 27, 2008
Hi Darren,

Call 08087422887 if you reside in lagos my bro has a fish pound and pro-experience and will be willing to assist for a small fee. Only if you reside in lagos cos' i aint sure he will be willing to do the service out lagos due to travel risk and cost.
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by phatgirl(f): 11:02am On Feb 28, 2008
My dear kindly get in touch with an agric consultant named xela agricultural company on this no 08079226990.
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by ogb5(m): 10:40pm On Feb 28, 2008
I will advice you to keep off poultry. The Hatcheries in Nigeria are something else. Too much diseases. Go into fish farming for a start.

Anyway if you insist on going into poultry, I can rent your my structure in Warri. It can take 2000 birds in dip litter. But don't say you were not warned.
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by eniyan(m): 9:41am On Feb 29, 2008
@ogb5

Have you been in the poultry business before but stopped due to many diseases coming from the hatcheries in Nigeria? Please I will like to know. If you were in the business before, please I'd like to know the reason why you stopped. If you are still running the business, please tell me the good aspects of the business and also the challenges you have encountered. I'd like to see your reply. Just curious to find out.
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by ogb5(m): 8:13pm On Mar 01, 2008
I have been in poultry business previously. It can be nice if all goes well and you are lucky. But I will never advice anyone to go into small scale poultry farming. Why?

There are several factors that make for success i poultry, notable among them is disease prevention and control.
to do that you need disease data, vaccination data e.t.c from the Hatchery. you will not get that in Nigeria, even the data they give cannot be relied on. so you will be running on luck or hope. well you can say you will do all the vaccinations yourself, but note that there are some that needs to be done on day one at the hatchery. how do you do that.

You have more return on Investment if you keep layers, but the risks are higher. if you keep broilers, you get less profit. but you can dispose them off quickly, and if they are infected, you have less time to bury dieing birds also.

If you are starting big time, then you can afford to get the best vet doctors around, you will also be able to pay for information on the status of each hatchery before buying from them, you will be able to buy feed in bulk and get good discounts, but on small scale, you are at every ones mercy. and remember fake vaccines, expired vaccines, you want to make money or solve problems?

Hatcheries get infected periodically all over the world, the difference is that in Niger, they will not destroy infected birds,
They will pass the risk to you. They will even swear by god that the birds were not infected before leaving their hatchery.

For a start, i will advice you to go into fishery, compared to poultry, it is safer, less risk of diseases and also importantly less work.

Whenever you can lose 80% of you investment without worry, then go into poultry.
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by ogb5(m): 8:19pm On Mar 01, 2008
Also feed manufacture is ok. Poultry feed or floating fish feed.
Always think of being on top of the chain (its less crowded at the top) there is more room for profit.

being at the bottom of the chain, at the mercy of everyone is not fun. I would rather buy eggs from poultry farmers and sell than run a poultry.
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by eniyan(m): 10:26pm On Mar 01, 2008
Thanks a million for this information. I don't know how to reward you grin

The main issue I am concerned about is fake/expired vaccines. There should be a governmental organisation that monitors the vaccines given to birds or sold to poultry farmers. Probably this should be the job of NAFDAC.

I will perform some research into fish farming and see how feasible this is.
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by gbegbs: 6:32pm On Sep 03, 2008
wao ogb5 what a lesson u gave out there . bravo bravo. u ar someone dat i see had been burnt and dont want others get burnt. u ar a great nigerian . i like dat . "try to be at d top of the chain it is less crowded "amazn. well am interested in d farm business myself. i actually will like to do it on a large scale. both plant and animal. but i intend to start with poultry first. i have 3 acres of land dat i wanted to use as i plan on starting the business. and probably expand if it all work well. will like to get more info from u because it is always d best to learn from people ahead so u dont make their mistake. thanks for all d info . one thing before i go. what are d things u can do in this farming business to be in the top chain? thanks for all ur elp and ideas to come . tck wink
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by EmmaAjayi(m): 2:00pm On Sep 09, 2008
As a starter and for experimentation, how much can one start a small scale fishery? I want to have a good focus to know the exact projection.
Thanks
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by biolinkus: 1:10pm On Sep 12, 2008
Can someone pls advice me on this. What is the best forum for advertising a new product such as fish feed? Tv, radio, newspapers advert or what?
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by kokorunna(m): 5:57pm On Sep 19, 2008
We are in the catfish farming business in Lagos and it depends on what you want to know.

Drop me an email if you need any help kokorunna@yahoo.com

www.moneysaversforum.com
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by ultrazone(m): 12:42am On Jul 23, 2014
If you need to empower yourself in fish and poultry farming free, I suggest you take a look at my signature.
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by knowledge4(m): 11:43pm On Aug 31, 2014
darren20: Hi All,
I intend to make an investment into poultry farming in Nigeria,and I need some advice from individuals that are already in the business,my initial investment is into poultry and afterward poultry feeds.I need to know the cost of setting this up and all other things that are involved.
Thanks.

visit signature below for details
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by knowledge4(m): 4:41pm On Oct 13, 2014
A bank known as the Bank of Agriculture,owned by the Federal Government of Nigeria is giving out loans to genuine farmers who can prove their genuineness.The F.G.N has provisioned N200 Billion as loans to farmers and the steps to access the loan are straight forward if you are a genuine person with genuine intentions.If you are an unemployed Nigerian graduate looking for paid employment,pay attention to this post and take a step of faith to key into it.

The steps to obtain the loan are as follows:
1) Locate the office of the Bank of Agriculture that covers the area or local government area where your farm is situated and open an account with the bank with a minimum deposit of N3000.00

2) For the ‘Know Your Customer’ (KYC) requirements, you must present your NEPA Bill which confirms your place of residence + any of the approved means of identification such as International Passport, Drivers License, National Identity Card or Voters Registration Card.

3) Other requirements are:
Complete and signed account form
Complete and signed mandate card
Present 4 passport photographs of yourself

4) You must run and operate the account for at least 3 -6months before applying for the loan. Do not think that you can just open the account, abandon it and show up after 6 months for the loan. The loan is not the usual national cake and the bank, newly repositioned, is not fooled. If you play that old game, the bank will doubt your integrity and commitment to repay the loan if granted and that means you may not get it.

Running and operating the loan means that you make it an active account. This means making sure that you save money and withdraw from the account on a regular basis. The bank wants to see that there are transactions going on in the account. Therefore, you should make regular deposits and withdrawals on the account during the 6 month period to create an active relationship that makes the bank have confidence in you.

5) You must have an existing farm, at a fixed location and the farm must have its record of operations and activities on a daily basis neatly kept. The era of armchair farmers/political farmers/farms of no fixed address/classroom farmers are over. The bank will visit your farm for inspection when you apply for the loan.

6) The bank will check what you have on ground; see how far you have gone; what the loan is required for, and ensure that the loan is appropriate for what it is required. The bank wants to know whether you have an adequate knowledge of your area of farming business. You must be able to demonstrate the practical hands-on experience in your area of farming. The bank wants to know whether you have a project you are working on and the fund requirements. And within a month of the inspection, the loan will be approved if the bank is satisfied.

You can obtain a loan of N250,000.00 from the Bank of Agriculture without any collateral.With this amount,you can set up a small backyard chicken business that will pay more than the elusive salary job you are seeking. Some graduates earn N15,000.00 monthly in the name of earning a salary.What a pity!I will show you how to go about setting up a small chicken business with as low as N100,000.00.Check 1st signature below
Re: Any Poultry Farmer In The House? by okitejoseph: 10:44am On Dec 01, 2020
You can start your own poultry farming business with the right plan and feasibility study, all you need is to get a business plan to that effect..

(1) (Reply)

The Dynamics Of Cocoa Export Business In Nigeria / Shea Butter,pkn And Ginger Available In Large Quantity / Noiler Chicks And Poultry Waste Avaialable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.