Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,947 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors (11341 Views)

Pictures Of Arrested Bokoharam Leaders As Posted By Nation News Papper / Photos Of Arrested Boko Haram + Weapons Recovered By The Nigerian Troops / Picture Of Arrested Isis Leader On Way To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by gboyetade: 1:39pm On Jan 10, 2013
Nigerian authorities intercepted a ship and arrested its Russian crew on October 23 after they found several guns and around 8,500 rounds of ammunition aboard.

"On Monday, we handed over the crew to the police as we have completed preliminary investigations," Lieutenant Commander Jerry Omodara, spokesman for the Western Naval Command, said by telephone. "The ship and the weapons are still in our custody."

The Russian Foreign Ministry said the sailors were facing a court case initiated "under false pretexts" and that Nigeria broke a promise given to Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov that the men would return to Russia before the New Year.

"We expect that this time around the Nigerian partners will stick to their word and release the Russian sailors in the nearest time without additional conditions and further delays," the ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.

Arms smuggling to and through Nigeria is rife. Demand for weapons is great because of an Islamist rebellion in the north, armed robbery and kidnapping by gangs in the south and oil theft and piracy in the southeast.

The country is also sometimes used as a conduit for shipping arms to other conflict-ridden parts of West Africa.

The Moran Security Group, the Russian company that owns the confiscated vessel, called the accusations "groundless" and urged Nigeria to release the sailors.

"Over nearly three months, no charges were presented. This means the Nigerian side has no strong evidence... A week after the detention they would have been transferred to police arrest and then to court," Moran spokesman Alexei Maximov said.

"This case ... is the worst possible scenario that is threatening bilateral ties between Russia and Nigeria," he said.

Omodara said the boat was stopped initially because it was in Nigerian waters without permission.

In 2010, a consignment of rocket launchers, grenades and other explosives from Iran was seized in Lagos, causing a diplomatic row between Nigeria and Iran. It also strained ties between Iran and Senegal, which accused Iranian security forces of trying to supply weapons to its Casamance rebels.

(Reporting by Isaac Abrak; Additional reporting by Gabriela Baczynska in Moscow; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Tom Pfeiffer)

http://allafrica.com/stories/201301100285.html
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Okijajuju1(m): 3:47pm On Jan 10, 2013
I said it...... And thats how the matter was ressolved...

Power pass Power... 3rd world nation vs. G-8 member nation.. HOW!!!

OYA NA!!! RUSSIA said unto Nigeria:: Let my people go now, or..... grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by rozayx5(m): 3:49pm On Jan 10, 2013
2nd grin

now the so called super powers are trying to influence our country, first it was RUSAL now its illegal sailors angry

1 Like

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by SEEMESEEMEO(m): 3:52pm On Jan 10, 2013
Okija_juju: I said it...... And thats how the matter was ressolved...
What did u say?

OYA NA!!! Lets go......................
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by dulphines: 3:53pm On Jan 10, 2013

Russia: Release them or...
Nigeria: or what
Russia: We will er-razze Nigeria from planet Earth.
Nigeria: Person no dey joke with una again? grin grin

60 Likes

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Omen100(m): 3:54pm On Jan 10, 2013
wonderful shocked shocked shocked, space taken, brb.

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 10, 2013
A weak and poorly governed nation like Nigeria must comply to the Russian threat.
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Psylas(m): 4:00pm On Jan 10, 2013

OYA NA!!! RUSSIA said unto Nigeria:: Let my people go now, or..... grin grin grin
am a witness
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by mcdanieldrumz: 4:00pm On Jan 10, 2013
dulphines:

1 Like

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 10, 2013
Dis is d problem with nigeria......charge dis people to court or release dem unconditionally. If d die here na anada wahala be dat o.

4 Likes

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by executinal(m): 4:02pm On Jan 10, 2013
Nigeria clueless govt vs Russian world power grin grin

1 Like

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by mcdanieldrumz: 4:03pm On Jan 10, 2013
U̶̲̥̅̊ should really do comedy U̶̲̥̅̊ knw! cheesy
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Okijajuju1(m): 4:05pm On Jan 10, 2013
Honeyhill: Dis is d problem with nigeria......charge dis people to court or release dem unconditionally. If d die here na anada wahala be dat o.

Charge them to court for what?!

Their only offense was entering our territorial waters illegally... The fact that they had arms onboard is not grounds to charge them with dealing in black market arms.. Maybe illegal possesion of a fire arm, max..

Anyways, Uncle Russia has called for their sons... Puppy NIGERIA must OBEY!! #Levels

3 Likes

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by cold(m): 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2013
This case is as good as closed. No need muscle flexing on this one
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by eminemkayc: 4:12pm On Jan 10, 2013
Abeg make naija nor fucck up oo before we start seeign drones all over our skies
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by baby124: 4:12pm On Jan 10, 2013
dulphines:
jerseyboy: A weak and poorly governed nation like Nigeria must comply to the Russian threat.
cold: This case is as good as closed. No need muscle flexing on this one

ROTFLMAO! Wow, Nigeria and Nigerians have truly suffered. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy. Collectively, the country needs to just change. this is embarrassing. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by xynerise: 4:16pm On Jan 10, 2013
Are they trying to intimidate us? angry
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by brownlord: 4:17pm On Jan 10, 2013
How many times this tin go make frong page! I read am here yesterday

@the topic, if it where to be Nigerians arrested in russia, malaysia or even ghana, weather guilty or not, they will be jailed or killed witout our clueless govt. Doin anytn abt it, we tink we are the most corrupt and as such when ever the news abt abt nigeria indisporal come on, even we are quick to sentence our fellow nigerians witout even knowin if they really guilty or not, here is a country that value their citizen, they don't want to know if they guilty or not, all they want is they shld be returned back, if na my darlinwho cares, afterall we dey by ourself kill each other for our own country self, I remember the saying in my dialet which says " if who get cloth say the cloth noget use, who no get am go help use am park dirty" I pitty this country

1 Like

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 10, 2013
Are Russians mad . . .who do they thinking they are joking with? Almighty Nigeria, the most populated black and the most corrupt nation in the world.

1 Like

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Venus1: 4:18pm On Jan 10, 2013
Speechless
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by brownlord: 4:19pm On Jan 10, 2013
xynerise: Are they trying to intimidate us? angry

No sir, they know we are not serious, so anyo come do anythin and get away with it, they even surprise that our naval men even arrested them, wondering why they refuse to accept the bribe given to them as usual, erlse this won't hv bn in the media
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by dickhardener: 4:22pm On Jan 10, 2013
Nigeria una no dey fear face. Me don talk my own finish o.
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Symphony007: 4:22pm On Jan 10, 2013
This should be sorted out immediately to avoid any diplomatic row..i'm a little disappionted that jonathan completely abandoned the foreign policy of late pres. Yar adua by departing from countries like russia, china, and the other brics and rather facing the west whuch have nothing to offer us.

1 Like

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 10, 2013
Maybe this is the time Biafra use their good old friend Russian to secede, I tell you they know where to bomb.... grin grin grin
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by GARRIx7(m): 4:24pm On Jan 10, 2013
Space reserved while I try to get a parking space for my executive keke Napep.
I'll be back
cool cool

Meanwhile still on 24th. Baba God na him do am!!!
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 10, 2013
We won't release them. Let them do their worst!
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:26pm On Jan 10, 2013
[size=16pt]DONT RELEASE THEM! THEY CANT BULLY US![/size] angry angry angry angry
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by novakid(m): 4:27pm On Jan 10, 2013
See as Russia dey ride 52 years old nation... cry cry
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by dickhardener: 4:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
J12: We won't release them. Let them do their worst!

Russia (lion)- gbrrrrooaaooooo
Nigeria (kitten)- meoow

1 Like

Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Jerros213(m): 4:30pm On Jan 10, 2013

I CANT BUT AGREE WITH YOU,"CONDUCTOR" SEXKILLZ IS AN AMAZING PIECE OF BISON DUNG! I HAVE HAD TO KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO HIM SEVERALLY
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by free2ryhme: 4:32pm On Jan 10, 2013
let us not make too much noise abt all this .. Nigeria will release dis soldiers
Re: Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors by Drdaps(m): 4:35pm On Jan 10, 2013
POOR NIGERIA
Our people are suffering in those foreign countries without any offence and our government can't interfere.Now Russians are demanding for the release of their terrorist.
JUST IMAGINE!!! What an awkward request
TO HELL WITH RUSSIANS AND THEIR FORCES.WE ARE AFRICA THE USER OF BLACK MAGIC.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hill top and Street View Of Abakaliki / Kogi workers groan over non-payment of salaries / Aerial View Of Oshogbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.