Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' (13556 Views)

FACT OF THE DAY (The Man That Moved a Mountain) / Man Who Spent 20-Years Living In A Mountain Cave (photos) / 50 Men and Women That Moved Nairaland: 2005-2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by molisk(f): 3:58pm On Jan 10, 2013

Almost five decade ago, a landless farmer Dashrath Manjhi from Gahlor Ghati, of Gaya (a district of Bihar) resolved to end the difficulties of his villagers by shouldering a near impossible task of slitting a 300-feet-high hill apart to create a one-km passage.
His village would nestle in the lap of rocky hills for which villagers would often face gigantic troubles for crossing small distance between Atri and Wazirganj, the outskirts of Gaya town. He started hammering the hill in early 1959 in the memory of his wife, who could not be taken to the nearest health care center on time for the immediate treatment as the nearest road that connected them to the city was 50km long.

He knew his voice will not create any reaction in the deaf ear of the government; therefore, Dashrath chose to accomplish this Herculean task alone. He sold his goats to purchase chisel, rope and a hammer. People would call him mad and eccentric spirited with no idea of his plans. Unfazed by his critics’ discouraging remarks, Dashrath hammered consistently for 22 long years to shorten the distance from 50km to 10km between Atri and Wazirganj. The day came when he stepped through a flat passage — about one-km long and 16-feet wide — to his dream, ‘the other side of the hill’.

Source: http://www.successstories.co.in/dashrath-manjhi-the-man-who-moved-a-mountain/

23 Likes

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 10, 2013
1st to comment
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jan 10, 2013
Wow,I pray God gives M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ that kind of Determination

1 Like

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Rafrik27: 9:16pm On Jan 10, 2013
[i][/i]
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Rafrik27: 9:17pm On Jan 10, 2013
if you have faith you can move mountain!
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by molisk(f): 9:57am On Jan 11, 2013
22 years..no help from anyone and the resolve to keep slitting the mountain apart...The man died about 6 years ago and the Indian government did not fulfill any promises. cry

1 Like

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by ejifranks(m): 2:03pm On Jan 11, 2013
When there is a will there will certainly be a way

1 Like

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by slimming: 2:06pm On Jan 11, 2013
wonderful
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by ositadima1(m): 2:07pm On Jan 11, 2013
Great man, luv is a strong emotion

1 Like

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Dygeasy(m): 2:08pm On Jan 11, 2013
Smh... Psycho!

Wah name do we call him now?

I'd call him a psycho.... I admire his determination buh he's still a silly old landless farmer!

He died for nothing... Well he moved a mountain, that'd be written in gold in their book of history righ? Okay

1 Like

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Sweetapple007(f): 2:09pm On Jan 11, 2013
This is truely remarkable!! Kudos to him
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by babseg(m): 2:09pm On Jan 11, 2013
DETERMINATION IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS IN LIFE

1 Like

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by tellwisdom: 2:10pm On Jan 11, 2013
Dashrath Manjhi from Gahlor Ghati, of Gaya, where in Nigeria is that?? angry angry..Sango ota??
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by ositadima1(m): 2:12pm On Jan 11, 2013
Dygeasy: Smh... Psycho!

I'd call him a psycho.... I admire his determination buh he's still a silly old landless farmer!

He died for nothing... Well he moved a mountain, that'd be written in gold in their book of history righ? Okay

You can't even read, besides he left a passageway behind, what will you be known for?

4 Likes

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Francuiz: 2:12pm On Jan 11, 2013
Inspiring
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 11, 2013
ejifranks: When there is a will there will certainly be a way

Exactly.

Very touching story. Talk about determination.
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by sylve11: 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2013
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
then you win."

I love stories like this, telling me I can achieve anything, only with prayers and hardwork. cool

8 Likes

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by mascot87(m): 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2013
Old news, but good one sha for people that are yet to see what determination can do.
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Denn(m): 2:19pm On Jan 11, 2013
tellwisdom: Dashrath Manjhi from Gahlor Ghati, of Gaya, where in Nigeria is that?? angry angry..Sango ota??

[size=13pt]silence sometimes is golden and covers many flaws. [/size]

5 Likes

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by gulfer: 2:20pm On Jan 11, 2013
Inspiring story!
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by philipstanley(m): 2:22pm On Jan 11, 2013
This is a man
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by XFive: 2:24pm On Jan 11, 2013

At least he will be remembered for something positive, what will you be remembered for?

1 Like

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2013
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:32pm On Jan 11, 2013
The man was deterMINED like Kanu Nwankwo. What a hard job!
koonbey: 1st to comment
Lá shíbí kí o kóshì dànù (comment & get lost).

2 Likes

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by freecocoa(f): 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2013
Wow!
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by tellwisdom: 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
Denn:

[size=13pt]silence sometimes is golden and covers many flaws. [/size]

Say wah?? angry
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Knight1(m): 3:00pm On Jan 11, 2013
molisk: 22 years..no help from anyone and the resolve to keep slitting the mountain apart...The man died about 6 years ago and the Indian government did not fulfill any promises. cry

He was given a state burial...at the least
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by hypenation: 3:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
Determination
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by amiskurie(m): 3:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
Where are the pictures?
The maharaj man didn't call me for partnership,I would luv to move mountains.ladies bum aint no mountains no more. cheesy
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by baby124: 3:15pm On Jan 11, 2013
Truly inspiring. The mind is a wonderful thing.
Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by molisk(f): 3:23pm On Jan 11, 2013
Does it make any difference if he was born in one of the most backward places in India?
All this man wanted was to end the ordeal of his fellow villagers and knew he'd walk across the hill one day.

tellwisdom: Dashrath Manjhi from Gahlor Ghati, of Gaya, where in Nigeria is that?? angry angry..Sango ota??

1 Like

Re: Dashrath Manjhi 'The Man Who Moved A Mountain' by Kslib(m): 4:08pm On Jan 11, 2013

You might think he died for nothing,but GOD will be very proud of him cos he is really a great man,a man of sacrifice,a man of determination,a very rare man...
Mr man,what do you know about life?? Do you think life is all about enjoyment,do you think everybody is as selfish as you.. Do you think everybody is afraid to die....
I wont even bother to explain the significance of this man to you,"cos you dont give what is holy to dogs".....
Next time when you look in the mirror "just remember that you can never ever be great like this man,never ever... He left his mark on earth,what have you left?? Nothing....

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Have You Ever Been Threatened Before? Share Your Experiences / "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa / 5 Ways To Achieve Instant Fame On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.