Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,129 members, 7,825,536 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

"If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa (13566 Views)

Nigerian Man Honored In USA For Saving Kids' Lives / Is It A Crime To Post Adverts On Nairaland? {lets Talk} / It's Not A Crime To Be Ugly And We Ugly Girls Need Some Love! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Seun(m): 11:09am On May 09, 2013
Seun Osewa, the owner of Nigeria’s biggest online community Nairaland, has explained to HumanIPO the reason administrators of the forum are censoring comments and banning members who make inappropriate posts.

In an exclusive interview Osewa said such actions are required to prevent continual derailment of threads by those asking irrelevant questions and he believes the censorship can save lives.

“Do you honestly believe we should not have taken any action against the so-called "garri activists", who were derailing every thread by asking irrelevant questions about garri?” he said.

Osewa also justified the forum’s instruction warning members against posting comments that are derogatory to Islam.

When asked why the notice is not placed on the threads of other religions, he said the administrators took the decision to prevent the repetition of past religious violence sparked by anti-Islam posts in print and online media.

“Two hundred innocent people died in November 2002 because a journalist made a comment about the Miss World contest. 16 innocent people died February 2006 because a newspaper in Denmark published an inappropriate cartoon.

“If it is a crime to try to discourage people from posting comments that could lead to lost lives, then we are certainly guilty,” Osewa said.

On how he got the idea to create the forum, he said it stemmed from his previous recognition of the value of online discussion forums.

He said: “I used to be active on various discussion forums online, so I recognised their value. But the Nigerian forums available at the time were dominated by Nigerians abroad.

“They focused on topics like US politics and inter-racial relations. In 2005, after a mobile phone forum I created, because GSM phones were trendy at the time, started taking off, I noticed that the discussions were dominated by Nigerians at home. And it was wonderful.”

Osewa said “off-topic” sections which focused on topics such as romance and politics were particularly popular which led him to believe a “general-purpose” forum focusing on Nigerian life would work.

“So I built Nairaland and closed the mobile phone forum. As expected, Nairaland's local focus appealed to Nigerians at home, including many who didn't know anything about forums.

“But it also appealed to many Nigerians abroad because it made them feel as if they were back in Nigeria. So we got to eat our cake and have it too. We were very fortunate.”

On the forum’s success story, he said it is as a result of the forum’s loyal and passionate members.

“I feel so blessed to be in charge of the Nairaland Forum. I feel extremely fortunate. I don't think Nairaland has any secrets.

“Nairaland is what it is today because Nairaland members have chosen to stick with us for the past eight years.

“We have loyal and passionate members of all ages who continually enrich each others' lives by sharing information freely on our platform,” Osewa told HumanIPO.

http://www.humanipo.com/news/5669/If-it-is-a-crime-to-save-lives-then-we-are-guilty-Nairaland-founder

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by RiKKies001: 11:12am On May 09, 2013
Hmmmm.
Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Nobody: 11:12am On May 09, 2013
okay

this write up is boring

27 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by SincereBigot: 11:13am On May 09, 2013
ok.. we want no.17 back

5 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by nep2ra(m): 11:14am On May 09, 2013
oh boy. undecided

1 Like

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by freecocoa(f): 11:14am On May 09, 2013
Omg Seun, seems like its your day of creating threads.

How much you wan make today alone? grin

O boy take it easy, wetin dey worry you sef? You think we don't know what you are doing? Nna lekwa this guy oh.angry

5 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Nuzo1(m): 11:14am On May 09, 2013
I guess you are still trying to explain Rule 17. Well, its becoming a bit clearer with every new topic on the issue.

Btw, I still feel you were threatened by some fundamentalists..otherwise, you would have made it neautral.

5 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Caracta(f): 11:15am On May 09, 2013
Ehn...ehn...interesting!

I understand better now. Na wa o. You mean people can start killing each other over Nairaland comments.

*shudders*
Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Daewoods(m): 11:15am On May 09, 2013
Hmmm, Okay, Boring. . oh boy
Where is the close account button angry angry

7 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by aflag: 11:15am On May 09, 2013
oya clap for ur self!

3 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by faporori24: 11:18am On May 09, 2013
Oluwaseun Osewa i wont come back to nairaland again with you and your tintincular admin.
Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by sauceEEP(m): 11:19am On May 09, 2013
seun e don do nah!!! This write up is boring,go keep yourself busy with your babe MUKINA( i hope she's a female)

1 Like

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by dridowu: 11:19am On May 09, 2013
Baba God when will i be the 1st to Komet , God i need your super power to achieve 1st to komet.

1 Like

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by souleymon(m): 11:19am On May 09, 2013
freecocoa: Omg Seun, seems like its your day of creating threads.

How much you wan make today alone? grin

O boy take it easy, wetin dey worry you sef? You think we don't know what you are doing?[b] Nna lekwa [/b]this guy oh.angry

Whats the Meaning?

1 Like

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by gyrion(m): 11:20am On May 09, 2013
4 all those of u who don't think b4 commentin on a post,u've seen d implications....osewa u're on point jorrh..

2 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Scarpon(m): 11:20am On May 09, 2013
seun when will you start acting like an adult?

4 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by vizboy(m): 11:22am On May 09, 2013
Please note . What ever u say here can be used against u in the court of Law and order
Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by TeeSeven(m): 11:22am On May 09, 2013
So, Seun, what efforts have you made in educating the bigots that are ready to start killing and destroying b'cos of Nairaland comments?

3 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Nobody: 11:24am On May 09, 2013

23 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Nobody: 11:27am On May 09, 2013
Nwoke m' provide deactivation button abeg.
Na by force?

2 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by YuzedoII: 11:27am On May 09, 2013
SEUN, I MADE A (NICE AND NON-CRAZY) COMMENT BUT YOUR ANTI-SPAM BOT BANNED ME! BRO, I AM SORRY, PLEASE BE NICE AND RELEASE ME, I'M A GOOD BOY, ALLAH! wink I WAS JUST TESTING YOU, PLISSSSSSSSSgrin

P.S. bro, sorry, it's me, Yuzedo. I'm using my twin bro's account to post this. His name is YuzedoII, cos i never flout any of Nairaland rules, i swearigad. I don't have multiple ID to switch to when they ban me, this is my twin bro's account, i swear bro, be nice.

14 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by dare2think: 11:28am On May 09, 2013
Seun: Osewa also justified the forum’s instruction warning members against posting comments that are derogatory to Islam.

When asked why the notice is not placed on the threads of other religions, he said the administrators took the decision to prevent the repetition of past religious violence sparked by anti-Islam posts in print and online media.

“Two hundred innocent people died in November 2002 because a journalist made a comment about the Miss World contest. 16 innocent people died February 2006 because a newspaper in Denmark published an inappropriate cartoon.

“If it is a crime to try to discourage people from posting comments that could lead to lost lives, then we are certainly guilty,” Osewa said.

We cannot bow to fear. It is irresponsible to stop a particular way of life because some set of people finds it offensive.

Since the cartoons, has the bombings stopped?. Has the violence stopped?

When Jonathan stopped the National celebrations due to threats, did that stopp anything?

Instead, it gave them ligitimacy and control which a strong leader should never lose.

Fear is want they want, and if you give that to them, they will have total control.

15 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Walexz02(m): 11:28am On May 09, 2013
Uhmn
Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by SamConquer(m): 11:28am On May 09, 2013
INTERESTING But Not IMPRESSIVE!!!.
Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by doyinmolah: 11:28am On May 09, 2013
vizboy: Please note . What ever u say here can be used against u in the court of Law and order
Gbam!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by YuzedoII: 11:29am On May 09, 2013
SEUN, RELEASE ME MY TWIN BRO "YUZEDO" NOW BEFORE I BAN YOUR WEBSITE FROM CYBER-SPACE!!! DON'T MAKE ME DO IT BRO, I WE LEAVE IN BANANA ISLAND! angry angry angry

7 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Rastamann: 11:29am On May 09, 2013
Good but what then happens to our freedom of speech and freedom of expression clause that is embeded in the Nigerian constitution?

Inasmuch as you guys want to moderate and control we the contributors, you guys should also stop putting irrelevant and rubbish posts on the front page. Probably you need to redefine the main focus of Nairaland and what is expected to be posted on the blog.
Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Nobody: 11:32am On May 09, 2013
@ Seun no amount of interview and breifs will justify the callous way your 21 commandment was splashed on our faces. Happy a thing you recognize that the success of nairaland lies with its members! Whatever happens to leaveraging on the good will you enjoy from members and guest in this forum to honor them in return with a more friendly rules that will not be offensive their sensibility!
Again, come up with better excuse for spiking other users faith with your particular but neuceasating RULE NO. 17.

On a second thougth, try and create a deactivation button like someone mentioned yerstday to save you the hassles of banning. Cant sleep with my two eyes closed knowing that my ID is banned probably indefinitely with my personal information tocked away in someones forum. Its abuse of ones right and you can be sued for psychological vilification[b][/b]

2 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by Nobody: 11:34am On May 09, 2013
YuzedoII: WE LEAVE IN BANANA ISLAND! angry angry angry
Hmm "leave" or "live"

3 Likes

Re: "If It Is A Crime To Save Lives, Then We Are Guilty!" - Seun Osewa by RedLight1: 11:34am On May 09, 2013
no matter what ... Muslims will always kill christians or non believer over trivial things ... it's their doctrine ... but if u take people's ability to express their views on that matter ...u will boycott somethings .... some of these extremists also learn from people's views on their religion ... many Muslims have become xtian or atheist today because some people cant shut up and kept talking about the blood thirsty religion ....

creating no go area for christians, pagan etc .. will not stop muslims from killing christians or non believers .. it will only demonize this site.

you cant save people's life... you are not clark kent
... just enjoy yourself and ur work ..

peace

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Download All These Hot And Powerful Tools For Almost Free Now. / Have You Ever Been Threatened Before? Share Your Experiences / 5 Ways To Achieve Instant Fame On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.