Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,558 members, 7,865,318 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 03:39 PM

Issues With My Car starter - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Issues With My Car starter (1086 Views)

How To Know Bad Car Starter / Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 / My Car, Your Ride and Our Dream Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Issues With My Car starter by emergency2: 11:12pm On Jan 10, 2013
i am using a mazda 626 1998 model, about a month ago, i noticed that occasionally the kick fails( the entire light including the bactery light will be switched on when i kick it,but the car will not start, everything will just be silent as if i have not started the car at all) those periods, the car will start at the 2nd or 3rd attempts, however, one day i tried more than 5 times before it eventually started.
i have been to the rewire shop who initially said one brush in the kick was faulty and i got it changed, yet the problem persisted, i took it there and he said it is the automatic. i got the automatic changed also yet with no changes.
the car start normally sometimes, but fail some other times
pls what is the problem
Re: Issues With My Car starter by Ikenna351(m): 7:58pm On Jan 15, 2013
If your car starter solenoid fails, you will get this symptom your car is having. If any of the 2 starter brushes fails, you will experience the same issue.

But one important thing auto technicians tend to overlook is the starter relay or how many volts the solenoid receives from ignition switch via relay. If the solenoid receives less than 12v, the starter wont crank the engine. It will only click.

If i were you, i would test the wire from starter relay to the starter solenoid, with digital multimeter, to know how volts the solenoids receives from the key switch when the switch is turned to crank the engine. If its not upto 12v, make sure the wire that feeds the starter relay constant 12v from battery is in tack, i.e, it reads 12v. Make sure that the wire from relay to the solenoid is not broken or partially damaged.

If i were you, i would crank the engine direct from the battery positive terminal head. If the engine cranks when you do this, then the issue is not with the starter, but with relay, connection or ignition switch.

Ikenna.

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Mazda Gear Expert In Lagos / Toyota Sienna 2005 Transmission (13 Pin) / I Want To Buy A Car!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.