Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,215 members, 7,953,800 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:49 AM

Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta (20108 Views)

From Being A Corper To An Employers Trainer, The Jigawa Story. / Letter Of Request For Youth Corper To Serve In Organization / Fake Corper To Serve In Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by jpilata(m): 11:54am On Jan 11, 2013
Woman Crushes Corps Member To Death, Claims He Was Busy Pinging On The Road

The police in Ogun State on Thursday arraigned a 52-year-old woman, Kehinde Olubanke, before an Abeokuta Magistrate's Court for allegedly crushing a 28-year-old youth corps member, Egbe Ogbu, with her car.

The Prosecutor, Inspector Anabel Emmanuel, told the court that the accused committed the alleged offence on January 8 while driving along the Ogun Secretariat Complex Road, Oke-Mosan in Abeokuta.

The prosecutor said the accused, who was driving in a Nissan Almera car, sped dangerously and caused the death of the youth corps member serving in the state.

The prosecutor added that though the accused drove the car as a "learner" with a permit, she failed to do so in company with a licensed driver beside her as stipulated by the law.

The prosecutor therefore opposed the accused person's application for bail, arguing that she should rather be charged for murder because the alleged offence was contrary to and punishable under sections 325 and 18 Vol 4 and 19 (12) (iii) Road Traffic Regulations Vol 4 of the Criminal Code Laws of Ogun, 2006.

But the accused, Olubanke, who was not represented by a counsel pleaded not guilty to the charge of manslaughter preferred against her.

She said the incident occurred because the late corps member who was so engrossed in the usage of his BlackBerry phone while crossing the road forgot himself completely and suddenly strayed in front of her moving car.

"Ogbu was busy pinging on the road; I did not know when he got in front of my car. I have been driving for over eight months now and I have been very careful," she said.

The Magistrate, Matins Akinyemi, in his ruling said though the case was pathetic, it would still be treated as manslaughter and not murder because there was no motive behind the offence.

"It is a very sad thing, particularly for the family of the boy who would cease being a corps member in a couple of months," the magistrate said.

The court therefore granted bail to the accused in the sum of N 200,000 with two sureties in like sum and adjourned further hearing till March 7.

Source http://www..com/talk/topic,140648.0.html
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by geeez: 12:31pm On Jan 11, 2013
The following types of pedestrians never cease to amaze me:

1. Those who ping while walking and are oblivious of everything around them
2. Those who wear earphones are headsets while walking
3. Those who just dash on the road without looking

However, I believe the woman should have been more careful and being a learner should have a licensed driver beside her

4 Likes

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by Olaolufred(m): 1:00pm On Jan 11, 2013
What she claimedc of the corper is possible.
She may be so close while He took the decision of crossing the road.
He might truly have forgotten to watch for other road users.
However, the woman is guilty of the law.
Learner tag without any guide is against the law.
If she would be dealt with, It will be for breaking the law.
As for the corper, manslaughter(accidental killing) is not a deliberate act.
But We have to be careful with the way we abuse these latest technologies.
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by Bolt2011(m): 1:56pm On Jan 11, 2013
She's in deep-shit. She has killed a 'sacred cow'. She must face the wrath of the law #back in the days when corpers were seen and treated as government 'children'#
SMH for Naija
God comfort Ogbu's family and grant them the fortitude to bear the loss

DON'T PING ON THE ROAD!!!!!
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by alyarmouk(m): 1:56pm On Jan 11, 2013
oboi, what is wrong is wrong. a corper is dead... but was he actually pingn n crossing d road? if so, he shld be held accountable 4 suicide.
two freshly employed graduates were recently fired from my place of work because of constantly pinging to the detriment of their jobs. whats even the ish with bb sef?
try the new motorola droid razr m and u'll flush ur bb off in a loo

1 Like

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by ejifranks(m): 1:56pm On Jan 11, 2013
who is to be blamed and she doesnt even have a counsel to defend her case.... embarassed embarassed
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by Dygeasy(m): 1:57pm On Jan 11, 2013
Crushed? Like seriously? Does that mean she had a crush on him?

After reading the post, I was like wtf? Engrossed in his blackberry phone? Was she driving on a fast lane? RIP to the guy tho... Be lenient with the woman too... Sorry and confusing case.

Woman hits a corper with her car would have been a more appropriate title IMHO

2 Likes

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 11, 2013
All I read is court adjourning cases, do they actually sentence people at all in this country, do the judiciary know their jobs?

1 Like

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by anitank(f): 1:58pm On Jan 11, 2013
How do we know he was actually pinging while CROSSING A MAJOR ROAD? Who does that?

Well he's dead anyway and can't speak for himself

RIP

2 Likes

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by Dygeasy(m): 1:59pm On Jan 11, 2013
Billyonaire: All I read is court adjourning cases, do they actually sentence people at all in this country, do the judiciary know their jobs?
you know seriously that beats me... I wonder how many of the prison inmates we have are awaiting judgement...smh
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by Dygeasy(m): 2:01pm On Jan 11, 2013
anitank: How do we know he was actually pinging while CROSSING THE ROAD? Who does that?

a lot of people my dear! They press their phones while walking/crossing busy roads.. Its crazy!
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by tellwisdom: 2:03pm On Jan 11, 2013
All these foolish women who think driving is as easy as hell, keep causing problem for their husbands.....Imagine her killing a future jobless corper?? angry angry

1 Like

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by tellwisdom: 2:05pm On Jan 11, 2013
anitank: How do we know he was actually pinging while CROSSING A MAJOR ROAD? Who does that?

RIP

You sound like who pings with curve 2 on the road angry...Sha becareful sad sad
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by NoContract(m): 2:06pm On Jan 11, 2013
[size=18pt]Sorry case.

Madam, serve me cold kunu + palm oyel![/size]
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by slimyem: 2:07pm On Jan 11, 2013
anitank: How do we know he was actually pinging while CROSSING A MAJOR ROAD? Who does that?

RIP
That probably something that can't be proven..and its her only defence line.
She's in deep shyt!

1 Like

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by Ayodhejjy(m): 2:08pm On Jan 11, 2013
Dis world sha.
May His soul rest in peace.
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by Shalome(m): 2:08pm On Jan 11, 2013
No wonder he just stopped chatting all of a sudden...
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by anitank(f): 2:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
tellwisdom:

You sound like who pings with curve 2 on the road angry...Sha becareful sad sad
I am always careful....thanks
And No, I don't use curve 2 tongue
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by dridowu: 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2013
RIP Corper,
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by dilbert100: 2:17pm On Jan 11, 2013
rip undecided
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by tellwisdom: 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
anitank:
I am always careful....thanks
And No, I don't use curve 2 tongue

Give me your pin angry...I want to ping u
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by OILOFGLADNESS: 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
for this woman to have categorically state that the gut was pinging it means she has observed him.
so she could have be defensive and stop , the warn the guy.
i believe that one can be pinging and be walking along the road (pedestrian walk way) but very hard to believe that a 28yrs old corp memeber can be pinging and be CROSSING THE ROAD. ALL THE SAME EVEN IF IT SO, THE WOMAN WASNT DEFENSIVE AT ALL
AS A LADY I KNOW I DONT DRIVE VERY WELL SO I DONT GO MORE THAN 50KM/HR SO THAT I CAN EASILY RELEASE MY LEG FRON ACCELERATOR AND APPLY MY BRAKE.

2 Likes

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by dridowu: 2:19pm On Jan 11, 2013
geeez: The following types of pedestrians never cease to amaze me:

1. Those who ping while walking and are oblivious of everything around them
2. Those who wear earphones are headsets while walking
3. Those who just dash on the road without looking

However, I believe the woman should have been more careful and being a learner should have a licensed driver beside her
So Sad, dat ur no 2 is 4 me, i have to b kareful now
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by Sweetapple007(f): 2:19pm On Jan 11, 2013
That woman shld be imprisone,i dont know why nigerian women re heartless ad careless driver,the re so selfish they can never wait for people to cross the road.
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by anitank(f): 2:21pm On Jan 11, 2013
OILOFGLADNESS: for this woman to have categorically state that the gut was pinging it means she has observed him.
so she could have be defensive and stop , the warn the guy.
i believe that one can be pinging and be walking along the road (pedestrian walk way) but very hard to believe that a 28yrs old corp memeber can be pinging and be CROSSING THE ROAD. ALL THE SAME EVEN IF IT SO, THE WOMAN WASNT DEFENSIVE AT ALL
AS A LADY I KNOW I DONT DRIVE VERY WELL SO I DONT GO MORE THAN 50KM/HR SO THAT I CAN EASILY RELEASE MY LEG FRON ACCELERATOR AND APPLY MY BRAKE.
Thank you!!
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by manny4life(m): 2:24pm On Jan 11, 2013
Personally, I do think she should be held for murder - This is negligence. Operating a machinery without license is just uncalled for
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by pingo(m): 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2013
She should SERVE!!!!!!!
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by GentleNaaz(m): 2:28pm On Jan 11, 2013
Now d corper is dead n no one cud speak hs mind. How do u tink a corper wl b pingn on a bussy road. Its gud 2 b a leavn lizard dan 2 b a dead lion. Atleast u wl b heard

1 Like

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by GentleNaaz(m): 2:29pm On Jan 11, 2013
Now d corper is dead n no one cud speak hs mind. How do u tink a corper wl b pingn on a bussy road. Its gud 2 b a leavn lizard dan 2 b a dead lion. Atleast u wl b heard. Corper, may ur soul R I P
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by free2ryhme: 2:30pm On Jan 11, 2013
all of una wey dey ping for road like say them swear for una .. una don see am ok ooo
Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by question(m): 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2013
I once encountered a situation when 3 school children where waiting to cross the road at the middle of a dualized road. As I was passing them, the next thing I heard was gboa!! on my side mirror (driver's side).
I a bid to cross (thinking the road was all clear), one of the kids ran into my moving car.
If the boy ran out 1 or 2 seconds earlier, my car would have killed him.

I stopped and check on him. he was dazed but ok.
I thank God it was not worse than that.

The lesson I learnt that day was never to speed on the densely-populated or high human-traffic areas.

3 Likes

Re: Woman Crushes Corper To Death In Abeokuta by manny4life(m): 2:40pm On Jan 11, 2013
^^^

That is why school zones, pedestrian lanes, work and residential areas etc have <15mph + STOP signs. A lot of drivers need to learn defensive driving, because most are offensive leading to the death of pedestrians. I once listened on the radio - DC DOT stated in their campaign that driving at very slow speed saves life. They said, if you're traveling at 25mph or less and you hit someone, that person has a 85% chance of living, and most likely with injuries, but if you hit someone while traveling at 45mph or more, that person has a 20% chance of living with possible scenario - DEATH.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nasarawa Corpers Allawee: Corpers Accuse Education Ministry/NYSC Of Embezzlement / Relocating To Abuja For My Nysc / Gunmen Kidnap NYSC Members In Rivers, 5 Escape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.