Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,486 members, 7,812,507 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

How Does Mirror Affect Infants - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Does Mirror Affect Infants (27759 Views)

**odd Question** How Does Your Language Handle Logical Statements?(repost) / How Does This "Money Charm" Work? / What's The Implication Of Looking At Yourself In The Mirror On Your Wedding Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Akuviv: 7:42pm On Jan 17, 2013
dick hardener: what are these supposed rays emitting from the mirror called?

LIGHT RAYS
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Igwe9(m): 8:14pm On Jan 17, 2013
There's tendency of the baby being possessed by the evil spirit, I know it sounds superstitious but prevention they say is better than cure if you asked me, and all these originated from the villages were the aforementioned is rampant.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by henryadex(m): 8:31pm On Jan 17, 2013
Ahmedie25: There is rays radiating from the surface of mirror, that may be dangerous to child's brain
This may eventually lead to damaged sight in the future knowing fully well that they are still underdeveloped
same reason why you don't stand babies on their legs at infancy to prevent a crooked formation
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Bambela(m): 8:40pm On Jan 17, 2013
Well' I was told that it delays the springing out of the infants teeth. Though without evidence.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by simpleseyi: 9:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
ifyalways: I know of adults that wouldn't look at the mirror or reflection once its 6pm cheesy
Each man to his convictions and self inflicted bondage tongue

@topic, I've once asked my MIL this question and her reply was both funny and quite sensible. She said its not ok cos it would give the baby the impression that s/he is the only person in the world,encourage narcissism.

Maybe this is what made Jonathan and Patience suffer from narcissim and megalomania. They both want to own the world including owning you and I or what do we call a president that uses billions of naira to eat, maybe na human being he dey eat and also a first lady / permanent secretary in Bayelsa but lives in Abuja and Germany.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by sydny1: 9:18pm On Jan 17, 2013
I have no idea about this thats why not give any kind of suggestion.

Flight Simulator Sydney

Sydney Flight Simulator
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Jobig(m): 9:21pm On Jan 17, 2013
It makes them terrify,seeing them self cos of their level of understanding.it can also cause confusion cos fear of them self depending.

1 Like

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by seechris(m): 9:32pm On Jan 17, 2013
Urmmm. It might confuse the child I guess, until the child reaches the level of comprehension that it's an individual separate from its mother, best keep the mirrors away.

1 Like

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Oahray: 9:37pm On Jan 17, 2013
henryadex:
This may eventually lead to damaged sight in the future knowing fully well that they are still underdeveloped
same reason why you don't stand babies on their legs at infancy to prevent a crooked formation
lol. Zero knowledge of optics. In a conventional plane mirror, luminous intensity for both incident and reflected ray is approximately the same. It only undergoes lateral inversion.

So rays from plane mirrors ARE NOT brighter than or different from what our eyes see for real.

That said, even at birth, babies are more intelligent than animals. Unlike a bird which would fight with its own reflection on the same window every time, a baby can learn to recognise the image in the mirror as him/herself pretty much the same way they learn to answer their names or communicate in a language.

Its funny how people try to give superstitions a scientific look.

1 Like

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Tobilols(f): 9:46pm On Jan 17, 2013
Just can't stop laughing at all the funny comments. So something happens to identical twins wen they look at themselves?
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Virick(m): 10:20pm On Jan 17, 2013
kristikat: they should not know themselves,
until the time is right........
babies are usually ADULT SPIRITS coming from heaven to live here,
and experience this reality,
if they see themselves too soon,
they may fail in accomplishing what it is they came to do here,
since they must first come here on a clean slate,
or think this life is the only life there is to live,
knowledge of them coming from some place else,
may totally confuse them,
and maybe make them forget why they came here...
since they come here with a specific mission erasing all other memories,
only with the purpose in mind.....

Very interesting view point. Very original. Thank you.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Sweetlemon(f): 10:23pm On Jan 17, 2013
ITbomb: I got this back then.
When a baby sees the reflection, he/she is instantly attracted to it but sees it as a different person. From that moment the baby will be looking for that 'friend' that he/she saw and may sometimes cry unnecessarily when he need he/she want to see the 'friend' again.
Whereas the mother would not understand why the baby is crying.
#YOUAREFREETOQUOTEME

This is the most logical explanation so far. Na real wa for Aficans o! We are so backward! Kai!
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by oomen(m): 11:29pm On Jan 17, 2013
A baby might be initiated into the marine cult by looking or constantly looking into mirrors.Marine cult agents are associated with mirrors and are known for using mirrors in their operations.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Abbey2sam(m): 11:47pm On Jan 17, 2013
kristikat: they should not know themselves,
until the time is right........
babies are usually ADULT SPIRITS coming from heaven to live here,
and experience this reality,
if they see themselves too soon,
they may fail in accomplishing what it is they came to do here,
since they must first come here on a clean slate,
or think this life is the only life there is to live,
knowledge of them coming from some place else,
may totally confuse them,
and maybe make them forget why they came here...
since they come here with a specific mission erasing all other memories,
only with the purpose in mind.....

I'm sorry but you are not making any sense..............
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by WhyAWhy(m): 12:18am On Jan 18, 2013
reading most comments here... chei NIGERIA still has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGGGG way to go shocked
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by FutureDon(m): 4:10am On Jan 18, 2013
Haha hilarious comments cheesy.

@OP I'm sure it's one of those superstitious beliefs. Oyinbo dey take dem do research sef. For instance, the 'mirror test for self-awareness/consciousness'
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Nomso007(m): 5:03am On Jan 18, 2013
igbsam: Me, I no know oooooooooo!

Then don't post!
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by thomwell: 6:17am On Jan 18, 2013
Anybody standing in front of a mirror is expected to endure some level of reflection from the mirror which is usually irritating depending on the angle of reflection. This reflection can also be dangerous if you are backing a very sharp/bright light source, hence may affect the eyes. This isn't good for babies cos it can affect any of their infant organs (as certain organs may not b able to tolerate it) and can create wrong impression on their mind through their mind eyes. Observe that a baby in front of a mirror with such sharp/bright light reflection tends to react and sometime may hibernate temporarily before regaining consciousness if quickly withdrawn from such mirror, if not such reflection can affect the baby via the brain if prolonged. ...

Hope this helps our curiosity.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by mortee: 8:41am On Jan 18, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Superstition.

And so is every other reason given here, except if scientifically or medically proven. Leave kristikat alone, abeg!
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by specialguest(f): 10:32am On Jan 18, 2013
ITbomb: I got this back then.
When a baby sees the reflection, he/she is instantly attracted to it but sees it as a different person. From that moment the baby will be looking for that 'friend' that he/she saw and may sometimes cry unnecessarily when he need he/she want to see the 'friend' again.
Whereas the mother would not understand why the baby is crying.
#YOUAREFREETOQUOTEME

Sounds logical.... I'll just stick to this explanation for future reference...
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Oby2013: 8:25pm On Jan 18, 2013
Ask the woman to lecture you on- babies and their shadows.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by achi4u(m): 2:20pm On Jan 19, 2013
I don't think mirror can curse infant any damm thing either in brain or elswhere.though i've been hearing somthing related to that but all
NA WASH!grin
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by linjok(f): 2:55pm On Jan 21, 2013
(The mirror game)...i always play the mirror game with my little baby.....i make her look at herself...and she will start laughing......some of those comment are not meant for these present generation.we should not believe what we are not sure about.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 25, 2014
scientifically, mirrors have absolutely no effect on infants. in fact, they can't recognise themselves in the mirror simply because they haven't developed self consciousness. i.e, they don't know anything about their existence. on toddlers however . . . . . . . it is equivalent to a toy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Dangote And Paddy Adenuga Meet In Lagos / Ooni Of Ife Shuts Palace Over Coronavirus, Suspends Traditional Activities / Oluwo Akanbi: Leave Me To God, Stop Judging Me On Social Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.