Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) (1440 Views)

In Few Years To Come, Indian Will Start Purchasing Software From Nigeria / Running Software From A Server To A Local Pc / What Is Needed To Develop A Software From Scratch To The User Using Stage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) by expertfingers(m): 1:04pm On Jan 12, 2013

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has warned users to disable or uninstall Java software on their computers, amid continuing fears and an escalation in warnings from security experts that hundreds of millions of business and consumer users are vulnerable to a serious flaw.

Hackers have discovered a weakness in Java 7 security that could allow the installation of malicious software and malware on machines that could increase the chance of identity theft, or the unauthorized participation in a botnet that could bring down networks or be used to carry out denial-of-service attacks against Web sites.

"We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem," said the DHS' Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) in a post on its Web site on Thursday evening. "This vulnerability is being attacked in the wild, and is reported to be incorporated into exploit kits. Exploit code for this vulnerability is also publicly available."

Java users should disable or uninstall Java immediately to mitigate any damage.

The latest flaw, as earlier reported by ZDNet, is currently being exploited in the wild, security experts have warned. Alienvault Labs have reproduced and verified claims that the new zero-day that exploits a vulnerability in Java 7, according to security expert Brian Krebs.

As you can see below we tricked the malicious Java applet to execute the calc.exe in our lab.

Source : ZDNet
Re: Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
Security concerns will always surface every now and then since java applet can access local files
Re: Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) by Javanian: 2:05pm On Jan 12, 2013

#Yaaawwnsss
Re: Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) by PrinceNN(m): 2:41pm On Jan 12, 2013
The best way to secure your computer is to turn it off......
And give it to me ...as valentine gift...this january....
grin
Re: Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) by expertfingers(m): 6:28pm On Jan 12, 2013
webdezzi: Security concerns will always surface every now and then since java applet can access local files

Java Applet was not supposed to access local files, was it?
Re: Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 12, 2013
java can ask the user for an elevated privilege, in most cases, the application could terminate or not deliver if the privilege is not given.
take sites like keepvid.com for instance.
the applet from that site retrieve links from the youtube api and for that to happen, you will need to tell java that you trust keepvid.com
if that happens, then keepvid could access your desktop files if they wanted to.
Re: Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) by ciphoenix: 10:25pm On Jan 12, 2013
hmmm,
Re: Security Alert: Disable Or Uninstall Java Software From Your Computer(s) by Nobody: 11:40am On Jan 20, 2013
@op for me, i uninstalled java 7 and installed java 6 v35 and refused to update it. Well before you decide to uninstall, how many softwares on your system needs java? I use eclipse which depends on java so i cant remove it altogether. Heard java 6v36 is stable.

(1) (Reply)

Hw Can Make Cash When People Chat , Upload Pictures Etc On My Social Network / Nigerian Tech Industry Becoming Messy !!! / Do You Have An Online Shop For Sale Or Can You Develop One?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.