Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,269 members, 7,839,351 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? (3547 Views)

11 Harmful Lies Your Mind Loves To Tell You / Some "Lies" Our Parents Used To Tell Us / Confused Parents Paint Triplets’ Toenails To Tell Them Apart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 12, 2013
nwando:

I have decided that I will do it,what I am planning now is the least offensive way to accomplish that.
Tell them I must
My mind is made up on that

The least offensive way is...

Sis xxxx, you should consider using a deodorant and mouth freshener because you have this body and mouth odor that seems to keep everyone uncomfortable when you and your husband around.
Just don't want to sound offensive but you should work on that. thanks!

Voila, problem solved. We have lots of things to deal with, and telling one that their odor is offensive should be a very easy thing. .
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Rotmyt: 6:56pm On Jan 12, 2013
nwando:

I have decided that I will do it,what I am planning now is the least offensive way to accomplish that.
Tell them I must

Ok. Tell the wife that you've overheard certain comments about them and that you don't totally agree with the comment but you think, that her and her husband should see if they can put this to an end.
OR
Start up a conv and steer it towards people who sweat a lot and smell. Make yourself an example and innocently make your way to a store and smell "new" deodorants,while sampling her opinion, insist on buying d same one you pick for her.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
damiso: My own question is so people who smell dont know that they do? Its a difficult thing but its easier if they are younger and look up to you.My mum told 2 of her shop girls.And bought them deodorant.I guess cos she is older they knew it was more like an admonishment and so did not take it personal.

Obviously they don't know and someone needs to help them by telling them

[center][/center]
Vikin:

The least offensive way is...

Sis xxxx, you should consider using a deodorant and mouth freshener because you have this body and mouth odor that seems to keep everyone uncomfortable when you and your husband around.
Just don't want to sound offensive but you should work on that. thanks!

Voila, problem solved. We have lots of things to deal with, and telling one that their odor is offensive should be a very easy thing. .

You think it's that easy
You don do am before?
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Rotmyt: 6:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
nwando:

Tell them I must

Ok. Tell the wife that you've overheard certain comments about them and that you don't totally agree with the comment but you think, that her and her husband should see if they can put this to an end.
OR
Start up a conv and steer it towards people who sweat a lot and smell. Make yourself an example and innocently make your way to a store and smell "new" deodorants,while sampling her opinion, insist on buying d same one you pick for her.
OR
Bring up deodorant talk. Talk about brands. Ask her of hers, and introduce the topis of how ess it is to use deodorants!
OR
Buy her and her husband,a bath set complete with deodorants and all.
OR
Straight up talk. Tell her she smells.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by baby124: 7:01pm On Jan 12, 2013
This is a national problem and really should be on the front page. I remember entering a plane in Nigeria. Na wah! The place wasn't fresh at all. Also ladies and gents, it also helps to trim or shave those parts that tend to be bushy. It allows air flow much better, and reduces smell. Try to use deodorant every 6-8hrs if you sweat a lot. My little contribution ni o.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 12, 2013
nwando:

[center][/center]

You think it's that easy
You don do am before?

I have don'e it oh, 2 times in university, and once at my place of work. My place of work was even a married man, they seemed offended at first but after, it got to them that it's for the better.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 12, 2013
Rotmyt:

OR
OR
Bring up deodorant talk. Talk about brands. Ask her of hers, and introduce the topis of how ess it is to use deodorants!
OR
Buy her and her husband,a bath set complete with deodorants and all.
OR
Straight up talk. Tell her she smells.

No way on your first point
I am too mature a person to start off with a gossipy line like that

I think I will follow baby 123's suggestion
Cut to the chase and zero in on the main point by using the line of " your deodorant may not be very effective,try this one"
I liked that line
I am not then accusing her of not using any at all but just suggesting she tries something else

I can even add that it took me several trials to find out one that works for me wink wink wink
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by pak: 7:09pm On Jan 12, 2013
Are ther people without body odour ?

Reason why I am asking is cos I hardly use deodorants - mine (deodorants) last for months sometimes.

And nobody (I mean nobody) as ever complained about my oduor and I have been in places and groups where people were advising others about their odour but never me.

You guys are scaring me, are you saying everybody who doesn't use a deodorant smells ?
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
pak: Are ther people without body odour ?

Reason why I am asking is cos I hardly use deodorants - mine (deodorants) last for months sometimes.

And nobody (I mean nobody) as ever complained about my oduor and I have been in places and groups where people were advising others about their odour but never me.

You guys are scaring me, are you saying everybody who doesn't use a deodorant smells ?

My dear, it's 65% chance that you smell....even if you live in the coldest region of the world....get a deodorant and use it.

Maybe 35% you don't smell, but are you willing to take that chance. People may not tell you because they don't want to offend you.

But,....
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jan 12, 2013

Please use the deodorant I beg of you
Every body from adolescence has a body odor,some are just worse than others
You may not smell it but people around you can
It is not a matter of hygiene
You can shower 3 times a day and still have an odor
And cologne is not enough
Especially in a hot region like Nigeria,it is a must

The odor that hits you as soon as you arrive Murtala Mohammed airport is unbelievable
I have had guests in my home from Nigeria ,mainly acquaintances and struggled but didn't have the courage to tell them to use a deodorant.
I will definitely have no qualms saying that to my family member if they are from my side of the family
Nigerians are very guilty of this .
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Rotmyt: 7:15pm On Jan 12, 2013
nwando:

No way on your first point
I am too mature a person to start off with a gossipy line like that

I think I will follow baby 123's suggestion
Cut to the chase and zero in on the main point by using the line of " your deodorant may not be very effective,try this one"
I liked that line
I am not then accusing her of not using any at all but just suggesting she tries something else

I can even add that it took me several trials to find out one that works for me wink wink wink

Smart.straight up but not rude
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by baby124: 7:19pm On Jan 12, 2013

You probably smell like MAD! I hardly sweat and I know body odour will come if I don't use a deodorant. Except I stay in bed all day under the AC. As long as you are older than 13, then you have a body odour. They were probably trying to hint you, but you refused to take a hint.loool. cool. I would be so self concious all day without a deodorant. If someone complains about a smell, that will be the end of me that day. Cause I don't like perfumes too much.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by baby124: 7:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
nwando:

The odor that hits you as soon as you arrive Murtala Mohammed airport is unbelievable
I have had guests in my home from Nigeria ,manly acquaintances and struggled but didn't have the courage to tell them to use a deodorant.
I will definitely have no qualms saying that to my family member if they are from my side of the family

MMIA and any enclosed spaces like planes and banks are a death trap for anyone with sensitive noses in Nigeria. It is staggering and like a punch in the belly.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by pak: 7:53pm On Jan 12, 2013
Vikin:

My dear, it's 65% chance that you smell....even if you live in the coldest region of the world....get a deodorant and use it.

Maybe 35% you don't smell, but are you willing to take that chance. People may not tell you because they don't want to offend you.

But,....

I hate to deceive myself but I might be one of the 35%.
Because of my peculiar habit, I actually carry a deodorant in my glove compartment all the time but I just use it sparingly.
Have not used it today and am still in the office !!!!!

And as I said earlier, I once had a roomie who had a strong odour way back in school. Many of our pals complained about him openly but none ever mentioned any to me. Maybe I just don't have a strong odour !

nwando:

I have had guests in my home from Nigeria ,manly acquaintances and struggled but didn't have the courage to tell them to use a deodorant.

You are right about that. and that's why I made the earlier post in the first place. Even if you have an odour, you probably won't know it (apart from observing the smell of your used clothing items).
And besides am mostly in parts of the country with low humidity. The last time I was in Lagos, I had my bath like 4/5 times a day.
Anyway, I'll just try to pay more attention to it. Thanks

baby_123:

You probably smell like MAD! I hardly sweat and I know body odour will come if I don't use a deodorant. Except I stay in bed all day under the AC. As long as you are older than 13, then you have a body odour. They were probably trying to hint you, but you refused to take a hint.loool. cool. I would be so self concious all day without a deodorant. If someone complains about a smell, that will be the end of me that day. Cause I don't like perfumes too much.

Na you go smell like mad grin Didn't you see my niece (Nwando is the name of my only niece) telling me I'm one of the blessed 35% and am just 12 plus.
Anyway truth is I have a Mum and sisters with particularly strong sense of smell and I've seen them complain severely and severally about ppl's body odour, infact one of my sisters won't even come near you if you have an odour ! but never have they once complained to me.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by monkeyleg: 9:00pm On Jan 12, 2013
I am not quite sure why the poster wants the lady to shave her pits, its not yours. Best option to give it as a gift
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by ATMC(f): 9:38pm On Jan 12, 2013
Its ok...
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
One thing I can't stand is body odour. I remember back in uni, there was a female lecturer who absolutely REEKED. You could tell when she was in a room. I remember once I was in the lab, doing research. She came in (I couldn't see her, she was on the other side of a partitioned section) But I smelt her, and knew she was there.

Other students (and lecturers) sniggered behind her back, but no one dared tell her. She was an African lady, but not from Nigeria, can't remember where she was from though. She was a robust woman, and probably quite prone to perspiring heavily. The thing is, she had a very sweet, friendly disposition, and I really hated the taunts. I ended up telling her one afternoon in the canteen. I was upfront, without being derogatory. And of course she was embarrassed, I just hugged her, and told her everything would be okay, it was nothing to do with her personal hygiene, she was just a heavy perspirer, and a good anti-perspirant deodorant would do the trick.

And it worked. I remember we joked about it later, and she wasn't upset. Others noticed she no longer smelt bad, and were curious about the change. But I never mentioned the chat we'd had, as far as I was concerned, it was no one else's business.

I don't sweat heavily, but I use an anti-perspirant deodorant daily, in real hot weather, up to three times a day, even after showering at night. I keep one in my car's glove compartment at all times, and don't spare it. I would really hate to offend others with body odour that can be prevented.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by damiso(f): 1:39am On Jan 13, 2013
nwando:

[center][/center]

You think it's that easy
You don do am before?

The reason i asked is cos believe i know when i think my smell is not right.Maybe cos my nose or rather sense of smell is hypersensitive
Hubby is always joking that am always saying 'can you smell something funny'.I dont think since i hit puberty and mum bought my first persiprant i have ever gone out without using one and i mean it.Its as natural as brushing my teeth or taking a shower.When its that time of the month my nose is pickin smells that hubby keeps saying is non existent.Its that bad that i smell other people when its that time.So cos am paranoid that i can smell it on others meand they do can smell it on me so i am OTT.shower every min.change down there every 1 to 2hrs(am old school dont use tampons never gotten the hang of it) use feminax spray like its going out of fashion and i keep sniffing.Its almost like an obsession cos BO is one of my pet peeves.

Maybe thats why i find it difficult to believe that people dont know they have body odour.I guess maybe they are used to it.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by baby124: 3:25am On Jan 13, 2013
pak:

I hate to deceive myself but I might be one of the 35%.
Because of my peculiar habit, I actually carry a deodorant in my glove compartment all the time but I just use it sparingly.
Have not used it today and am still in the office !!!!!

And as I said earlier, I once had a roomie who had a strong odour way back in school. Many of our pals complained about him openly but none ever mentioned any to me. Maybe I just don't have a strong odour !

You are right about that. and that's why I made the earlier post in the first place. Even if you have an odour, you probably won't know it (apart from observing the smell of your used clothing items).
And besides am mostly in parts of the country with low humidity. The last time I was in Lagos, I had my bath like 4/5 times a day.
Anyway, I'll just try to pay more attention to it. Thanks

Na you go smell like mad grin Didn't you see my niece (Nwando is the name of my only niece) telling me I'm one of the blessed 35% and am just 12 plus.
Anyway truth is I have a Mum and sisters with particularly strong sense of smell and I've seen them complain severely and severally about ppl's body odour, infact one of my sisters won't even come near you if you have an odour ! but never have they once complained to me.
grin grin cheesy
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 5:23am On Jan 13, 2013
Siena: One thing I can't stand is body odour. I remember back in uni, there was a female lecturer who absolutely REEKED. You could tell when she was in a room. I remember once I was in the lab, doing research. She came in (I couldn't see her, she was on the other side of a partitioned section) But I smelt her, and knew she was there.

Other students (and lecturers) sniggered behind her back, but no one dared tell her. She was an African lady, but not from Nigeria, can't remember where she was from though. She was a robust woman, and probably quite prone to perspiring heavily. The thing is, she had a very sweet, friendly disposition, and I really hated the taunts. I ended up telling her one afternoon in the canteen. I was upfront, without being derogatory. And of course she was embarrassed, I just hugged her, and told her everything would be okay, it was nothing to do with her personal hygiene, she was just a heavy perspirer, and a good anti-perspirant deodorant would do the trick.

And it worked. I remember we joked about it later, and she wasn't upset. Others noticed she no longer smelt bad, and were curious about the change. But I never mentioned the chat we'd had, as far as I was concerned, it was no one else's business.

I don't sweat heavily, but I use an anti-perspirant deodorant daily, in real hot weather, up to three times a day, even after showering at night. I keep one in my car's glove compartment at all times, and don't spare it. I would really hate to offend others with body odour that can be prevented.

@Nwando, please do it Siena's way if you haven't already. When you tell her, make her know you care and like Siena did, try to think of suggestions on why this may be caused e.g perspiring a lot or not using deodorants or something. You could say this:
"Hey...., there's something I've been meaning to tell you but have hesitated for a while because I didn't want to upset/embarrass you. I however value our friendship/consider you as a good friend and feel that if no one can tell you this, I at least should be able to tell you no matter the outcome. I have this deodorant I would like to suggest you use. I'm not sure if you use one already or not but there's an unpleasant scent.....bla bla bla."
Truth is, no matter what, she will be embarrassed but she will thank you later cool cool
Ok I don try. Hope this helps wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 6:29am On Jan 13, 2013
baby_123: This is a national problem and really should be on the front page. I remember entering a plane in Nigeria. Na wah! The place wasn't fresh at all. Also ladies and gents, it also helps to trim or shave those parts that tend to be bushy. It allows air flow much better, and reduces smell. Try to use deodorant every 6-8hrs if you sweat a lot. My little contribution ni o.

Don't mind them jare... kon ma ton lantern ( means deceive themselves cheesy )....One big mouth hot tamale Mexican called a guy/guy a 'smelly Nigerian' in UK transit train ( obviously she couldn't take it any more) .... come see all hell broke loose.... Talk bout touching a nerve!

it's all over YouTube and NL front page ( almost 20pages of poor me race cards)..... Fake fake people... Mtcheww !

Their braids reeks! And weaves Eik! Slaps their heads like crazy It's disgusting!

I saw Tonto Dike picture wearing a shirt with disgusting map of sweat ! Ewww talk bout celebrity, shior.... Dove is less than $10 buck and last for a least 2 months .... she'd rather buy range rover instead.

Rubbish & nonsense !

http://www.chickadvisor.com/item/dove-clinical-protection-anti-perspirant/
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 9:10am On Jan 13, 2013
tpia@:
* see stalking and monitoring*

Some people must work for boko haram.
which kind life u dey live? Evry thread u must talk/say rubbish, is it a must to comment?

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by EfemenaXY: 9:14pm On Jan 13, 2013
damiso:

The reason i asked is cos believe i know when i think my smell is not right.Maybe cos my nose or rather sense of smell is hypersensitive
Hubby is always joking that am always saying 'can you smell something funny'.I dont think since i hit puberty and mum bought my first persiprant i have ever gone out without using one and i mean it.Its as natural as brushing my teeth or taking a shower.When its that time of the month my nose is pickin smells that hubby keeps saying is non existent.Its that bad that i smell other people when its that time.So cos am paranoid that i can smell it on others meand they do can smell it on me so i am OTT.shower every min.change down there every 1 to 2hrs(am old school dont use tampons never gotten the hang of it) use feminax spray like its going out of fashion and i keep sniffing.Its almost like an obsession cos BO is one of my pet peeves.

Maybe thats why i find it difficult to believe that people dont know they have body odour.I guess maybe they are used to it.

Spot on!

A lady after my own heart cheesy
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
[size=18pt]Mission accomplished![/size]

I was at an event last night with the couple
On my way I had stopped over at a CVS pharmacy and purchased a pack of "Secret" deodorant for $ 5.99 only. grin
As soon as I walked in,my little sis was seated towards the entrance and we waved at each other.
At some point during the event we exchanged pleasantries and hugged .

During the item 7 aka eating time,I saw her at a corner table alone attending to some stuff,I quickly seized the opportunity and went and sat beside her.

I said hello my dear,please I wanted to ask you and don't be offended ,what type of deodorant do you use?
She said "different types"
I responded,"there is one I will like you to try",I whipped it out of my purse discreetly, I told her I perspire a lot too sometimes and it took me different types to figure out one that worked well for me.
She took it and said thank you Sister Ify and I smiled and said no problems ,we hugged again and I swung my hips back to my seat. grin

Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by baby124: 8:59pm On Jan 14, 2013
nwando: [size=18pt]Mission accomplished![/size]

I was at an event last night with the couple
On my way I had stopped over at a CVS pharmacy and purchased a pack of "Secret" deodorant for $ 5.99 only. grin
As soon as I walked in,my little sis was seated towards the entrance and we waved at each other.
At some point during the event we exchanged pleasantries and hugged .

During the item 7 aka eating time,I saw her at a corner table alone attending to some stuff,I quickly seized the opportunity and went and sat beside her.

I said hello my dear,please I wanted to ask you and don't be offended ,what type of deodorant do you use?
She said "different types"
I responded,"there is one I will like you to try",I whipped it out of my purse discreetly, I told her I perspire a lot too sometimes and it took me different types to figure out one that worked well for me.
She took it and said thank you Sister Ify and I smiled and said no problems ,we hugged again and I swung my hips back to my seat. grin

wink wink wink grin

Sister Ify saves the day and a family from future embarrassment. Secret is the best though. You wouldnt be smelling anything again. Now she would be able to smell hubby and force Secret down his throat. grin grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 14, 2013
She will just dump the deodorant in her unused items after a week, thinking her odour is not too bad! grin

These people have a way to keep forgetting about using deodorant, I tell you!

The best stil remains to tell her that she has a body odour instead of all this hugs et al you are doing.

Mark my words, a month from now, she and hubby will go back to their usual smell cheesy.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 14, 2013
Siena: One thing I can't stand is body odour. I remember back in uni, there was a female lecturer who absolutely REEKED. You could tell when she was in a room. I remember once I was in the lab, doing research. She came in (I couldn't see her, she was on the other side of a partitioned section) But I smelt her, and knew she was there.

Nice post
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jan 14, 2013
@Vikin; I was gonna say the same thing cheesy ..... Siena already said it..... Until you call it as it is, she won't realize your message. Bye bye $5.99 cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by baby124: 12:08am On Jan 15, 2013
I dont think she didnt get the message. I think she got it perfectly, and was most likely appreciative that you told her discreetly. I think it is plenty and enough. Dont bother revisiting the issue
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 12:10am On Jan 15, 2013
baby_123: I dont think she didnt get the message. I think she got it perfectly, and was most likely appreciative that you told her discreetly. I think it is plenty and enough. Dont bother revisiting the issue

I believe I passed my message across ,most importantly I did it without making her feel embarrassed which was my ultimate aim
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 8:14am On Jan 15, 2013
They are adults . . . I'm sure they alreadu know about deodorants and it advantages, they just don't want to use it.

You have two options here . .

1. Come out open and tell them they have BO.
2. Mind your own business . .
Re: What Is The Best Way To Tell them about deodorants? by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 16, 2013
@OSISI

I agree. It's not just amongst we Nigerians, it's across the whole world but I will narrow mine down to Africans. There is this Zimbabwean Nurse whose husband is a Doctor we are close to. She is the kind of person that you can smell from afar without even seeing her. She visited me one day and I took her to my spare room where I keep all my stuff. She was shocked to see that I use Roll-on deodorant and spray deodorant plus perfume on top of the whole thing. I asked her if she uses deodorant and she said no. She said she rarely wears perfume cos her perfume could go for the whole year i.e she buys perfume once a year. I was like " You have got to be kidding me".... My husband and I do not joke with perfumes/deodorants, infact I showed her what my husband uses and it was so obvious that day that her husband was as guilty as she was.

It's a disgrace. I bought her a perfume and deodorant christmas 2011 and I am telling you that the she hasn't used one quarter of either them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Error On PHCN Meter / Is It Appropriate To Integrate Sexual Educ Into Informal Education For Children? / Looking For A Kids Bicycle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.