Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria (15502 Views)

IGP Arase, Obi, Ahmed, Others May Be Sacked- Daily Trust / Buhari Dissolves AMCON, Appoints Ahmed Lawan Kuru as MD / Gunmen Assassinate Traditional Ruler In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by beylinko(m): 9:04pm On Jan 12, 2013
Are u sure about her being the only female traditional ruler in northern nigeria? I heard abt a town being rule by a woman in Niger state. I can't remember the name of d town but its in Sarki power LGA Of d state. D story of her ruling is similar to urs,d throne ws cursed which resulted in d death of male rulers.

1 Like

Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by AuwalMKargo(m): 9:29pm On Jan 12, 2013
Interesting fact, let the women rule, it is still alright.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by PopeUDENSI: 9:35pm On Jan 12, 2013
greenoak: Wow am second to comment can't believe it !!! Anyways what a man can do a woman can do it even BETTER
second to comment kwah!....ikwikwi!!!
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Naijacitizen(m): 9:36pm On Jan 12, 2013
greenoak: Wow am second to comment can't believe it !!! Anyways what a man can do a woman can do it even BETTER
but they are a piece of furniture at home.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Naijacitizen(m): 9:38pm On Jan 12, 2013
sholay2011:

Yeah. That's very true. A good example is embezzlment of public funds.
Iwela Okonjo saint na
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Aizebioje(m): 9:39pm On Jan 12, 2013

Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Naijacitizen(m): 9:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
U09ce: Where is Kumbwada in Kano state?Which LGA? Dont know why so many pple r against the north.Any thing abt the north is being criticized without any proof to back it.How can the north nd south co-exist peacefully this way?
you won't even know because you almost stayed at home.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
nice one
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Naijacitizen(m): 9:54pm On Jan 12, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Saarkin Aljannu bless her. cool
kafiriiii!

1 Like

Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by tfk08: 10:06pm On Jan 12, 2013
[quote author=abdulkayus By d way, do we hav female traditional ruler in d south, west or east? Pls, if there is, let us knw.[/quote]
Am just about to ask the same question
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:13pm On Jan 12, 2013
Naijacitizen:
kafiriiii!

shege

1 Like

Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by nagoma(m): 10:14pm On Jan 12, 2013
valicious1: 8th wonder of the world. But howcome nobody has ever heard of her or is she being subdued by some men.
OP pls enlighten me more on the difference between her office & that of queen amina of zaria.

Queen Amina reigned in the 13 th century , that's over 400 years ago and her kingdom extended from kano to southern end of present day kogi state as well as parts of today's Taraba state. Queen amina was a warrior , somewhat like Joan of Ark.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by nagoma(m): 10:16pm On Jan 12, 2013
beylinko: Are u sure about her being the only female traditional ruler in northern nigeria? I heard abt a town being rule by a woman in Niger state. I can't remember the name of d town but its in Sarki power LGA Of d state. D story of her ruling is similar to urs,d throne ws cursed which resulted in d death of male rulers.

Yes there is another one in Adamawa State.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by valicious1(m): 10:54pm On Jan 12, 2013
nagoma:

Queen Amina reigned in the 13 th century , that's over 400 years ago and her kingdom extended from kano to southern end of present day kogi state as well as parts of today's Taraba state. Queen amina was a warrior , somewhat like Joan of Ark.
Thanks alot.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by nenergy(m): 11:31pm On Jan 12, 2013
Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Iyaniwura123: 11:55pm On Jan 12, 2013
We are working on that and you will surely know if we come across any. Thanks for your time.
abdulkayus: Wooooow, nice one. I hav been in Kano for over 20 years and havent heard abt her or even d place. By d way, do we hav female traditional ruler in d south, west or east? Pls, if there is, let us knw.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 13, 2013
Whats so special about female rulers, are they better than the men?
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Nobody: 2:57am On Jan 13, 2013
Rubbish
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Nobody: 5:40am On Jan 13, 2013
Hmmmmm interesting!
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by DuduNegro: 6:18am On Jan 13, 2013
Aizebioje: ...

shyyt, this women cartoon is funny! grin cheesy
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Pato30(m): 6:25am On Jan 13, 2013
Nothing wrong with a woman ruling over her subjects including men if she is capable. We are all human.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by vedaxcool(m): 7:31am On Jan 13, 2013
The curse should be placed in Aso Rock/govt. Houses asap, that instantly kills any corrupticians residing there!
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Nnamdini(m): 8:32am On Jan 13, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I wonder why the north is yet to produce a female governor then if they can have a female traditional ruler.
its true the south produced a female governor(dame etiabba) but it wasnt thru election but thru some magomago impeachment of obi which led an opem void in the government.anyway,there are female legislators from the north in abuja
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by Vincent41(m): 8:46am On Jan 13, 2013
j.pilata:

Predominantly Muslim, Northern Nigeria is made up of 19 states, and as at 2012, 12 of these states have instituted the Sharia Law. Thus, this is the last place one will expect a female monarch ruling over thousands of subjects. Well, that is precisely the case of Her Royal Highness, Queen Hajiya Hadizatu Ahmed, the Magajiya & Paramount Ruler of Kumbwada in Kano State. Thanks to a curse placed about 200 years ago, this is one place where a man can never sit on the throne and rule. Those that attempted it were said to have paid dearly and did not spend more than seven days as ruler as they were said to have all died mysteriously. Interesting. But the story is just starting.

For more than six generations now, Kumbwada has been ruled by a female. Queen Hadizatu Ahmed has an unquestionable authority over her people, who number over 33,000 as at 2007. O boy, that’s something! Listen to her:

“My father (Prince Amadu Kumbwada) decided to see if he could break the spell but he failed. In his first week on the throne he became so sick that he had to abdicate and was rushed out of the village. He died three weeks later.”

Now in her early 60s and having been on throne for more than 12 years, Queen Ahmed is still ruling in a society that is mainly male-dominated and intensely paternalistic. According to her, the curse was placed about two centuries ago by another legendary woman, the warrior princess Magajiya Maimuna (Magajiya is a title of honour for women in this part of Nigeria). She led her cavalry and troops from Zaria and then conquered the queendom. After the conquest, Magajiya Maimuna decided to install her brother as the ruler but he became ill and died in under a week. She replaced him with her second brother and he met the same fate. After the loss of her two brothers, she took the bull of Kumbwada by the horns and made herself the Queen. She ruled for 83 years, says Queen Ahmed, as she adjusted her white veil. Her own grandmother ruled for 73 years until she died at 113. I am trusting their records o!

She says: “I don’t face any resistance from my subjects, they obey my commands as they obey their God because I’m a fair ruler who ensures justice in my kingdom. It’s a women’s affair. Women are the rulers and they rule as effectively as men, sometimes even better than men.”

From time to time, her male subjects led by their chief imam (religious leader) visit her in the palace to pay homage and listen to all she has to say while nodding in submission. That reminds Iyaniwura of the other northern monarchs like the Sultan of Sokoto, Emir of Zazzau and the Shehu of Borno who receive endless praises (rankayadede thins) from their subjects. But she is not as wealthy as her male counterparts. She has a simple blue silk-embroidered chair as her throne (don’t compare that with the gold-gilded throne of Dr. Ado Bayero, the Emir of Kano). The chief imam supports her and despite the criticism from other clerics, he says:

“We can’t live without a leader, and the fact that any male rulers that ascend the throne die quickly and mysteriously while female rulers reign for many years makes our case a peculiar one,” Muhammad says. “This is an exceptional situation none of us can change.”

http://iyaniwura.com/queen-hadizatu-ahmed-the-only-female-ruler-in-islamic-northern-nigeria/

Bleep and to hell with All Muslim
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by kheart(m): 8:49am On Jan 13, 2013
Why all d fuss abt a female ruler in d north? Do we ve female rulers in d east or south west?
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by kheart(m): 8:52am On Jan 13, 2013
Vincent 4:

u qoute d whole thread to type dis sh/i/t? Weldone clap for ursef.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by thaoriginator: 9:43am On Jan 13, 2013
SAINT DADA: have u received any bank alert 4 been second to comment?...ode!
how can he receive a bank alert when he has no bank account shocked
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by thaoriginator: 9:48am On Jan 13, 2013
Aizebioje: ...
lol
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by thaoriginator: 9:49am On Jan 13, 2013
Vincent 4:

are you ok!? Someone should attend to this psycho!
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by HawtMummie(f): 11:19am On Jan 13, 2013
There's the Regent of ikogosi, in Ondo state. A young woman. Ikogosi is famed as the tourist site cold and hot water meet underneath a rock or somewhat. Why the mud house for maigajiya? Can't the local govt thru the office of Chieftaincy matters get her a befitting palace? Is it because she's a woman The president of Argentina, Gemany, Liberia even one of the Korean countries are women. They have enviable resumes too. Women should be encouraged to lead. We have so much to give.
Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by zibe(m): 12:29pm On Jan 13, 2013
We need to encourage history studies in the country. This is interesting

1 Like

Re: Hadizatu Ahmed, Female Ruler In Northern Nigeria by dakronik(m): 12:57pm On Jan 13, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I wonder why the north is yet to produce a female governor then if they can have a female traditional ruler.
when has the south produced a female governor

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Leaders Pressure Justice Idris To Free Kalu In N7.65bn Fraud - Sahara Report / Fresh Crisis Rocks Correctional Services / 2023: Don’t Vote Sleeping President, NNPP Tells Electorate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.