Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,818 members, 7,831,663 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Reincarnation In Yorubaland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Reincarnation In Yorubaland (2482 Views)

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale / 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reincarnation In Yorubaland by ektbear: 9:35pm On Jan 12, 2013
How exactly does it work? I have heard bits and pieces from my parents about how their folks used to believe that person X was some other person born again, things like that.

Can anyone share their own knowledge of it, or books describing what our ancestors believed regarding it?
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:24pm On Jan 12, 2013
religious section. .
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by amiskurie(m): 11:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
I read a book about 10yrs ago called "the reincarnation of peter proud",nt african though bt very interesting.
A friend of my eldest brother reincarnated and he even died twice.he was very secretive,he never let his new found frnds visit his is hometown bt only gave them address.
Eventually when he got killed by a truck and his friends conveyed his copse to(ijebu-igbo) the address he gave b4 then,truly he had families cos they saw his mum,dad,wife,daughter and his grave.his family said he is the same person they buried that they can't have two graves of a man in one compound,they rejected the body for the frnds to deal with.
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by ektbear: 1:06am On Jan 13, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
religious section. .

To my knowledge, it isn't a religious thing. They believed (or we believed, I should say) that people get reincarnated.
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:52am On Jan 13, 2013
ekt_bear:

To my knowledge, it isn't a religious thing. They believed (or we believe d, I should say) that people get reincarnated.

it is not a cultural issue either. creationism and reincarnation are usually discussed in the Religious Section.
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by ektbear: 6:15am On Jan 13, 2013
I disagree.

Let us leave it at that
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by odumchi: 7:50pm On Jan 13, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

it is not a cultural issue either. creationism and reincarnation are usually discussed in the Religious Section.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss reincarnation in the Yoruba cultural context. You can't separate African culture from religion, therefore it firmly belongs in the culture section.
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:02pm On Jan 13, 2013
odumchi:

The purpose of this thread is to discuss reincarnation in the Yoruba cultural context. You can't separate African culture from religion, therefore it firmly belongs in the culture section.

if you cant separate culture from religion, then why does it have to "firmly" belong in the CUltural Section. It can "firmly" belong in the Religious Section as well.

The Reason why i said it belongs in the religious secton is because it is a belief. it is not a cultural thing like music/dance/clothes,etc. .

It has to do with reincarnation of spirits/souls and with spirituality which is religion.

just admit it that you guyz are too cowardly to consider anything indigenous as religion, just like all the rest.
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by odumchi: 8:16pm On Jan 13, 2013
A people's culture consists of their cuisine, their language, their religious beliefs, their attire, and their history.

I don't think the location of this thread requires brain-bashing argument.
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:53pm On Jan 13, 2013
odumchi: A people's culture consists of their cuisine, their language, their religious beliefs, their attire, and their history.

I don't think the location of this thread requires brain-bashing argument.

so then why do we need a religious section
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

if you cant separate culture from religion, then why does it have to "firmly" belong in the CUltural Section. It can "firmly" belong in the Religious Section as well.

The Reason why i said it belongs in the religious secton is because it is a belief. it is not a cultural thing like music/dance/clothes,etc. .

It has to do with reincarnation of spirits/souls and with spirituality which is religion.

just admit it that you guyz are too cowardly to consider anything indigenous as religion, just like all the rest.
i disagree our cultures are not only abou clothes ,foods,dance,music .
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:00pm On Jan 13, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: i disagree our cultures are not only abou clothes ,foods,dance,music .

I know tribal Culture and religion is inseparable. IT IS FACT.

but then how will anyone take our Religions seriously if it is always branded as culture and our spirit dances are branded as masquerades. pray tell me?
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by ifyalways(f): 10:55pm On Jan 13, 2013
Lolz

Pagan is really serious with this ish. Recommending our ATR related topics are treated as a "religious" topic.

Someone has to do it.
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by ifyalways(f): 11:01pm On Jan 13, 2013
@topic, I can only comment on the "Abiku" mythology.

Science provided an explanation ; sickle cell anaemia.

The idea that a certain child can die and keep re-coming back to life is just what it is :bedtime fable.
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by birdman(m): 3:11am On Jan 14, 2013
ifyalways: @topic, I can only comment on the "Abiku" mythology.

Science provided an explanation ; sickle cell anaemia.

The idea that a certain child can die and keep re-coming back to life is just what it is :bedtime fable.

You are suggesting that every child that has been labeled abiku had sickle cell? I doubt this. Also, they usually get reborn into the same family and die over and over again. Could there be some genetic explanation? Maybe, but given how little we know of the afterlife, except that one probably exists, I dont think we can chuck this up to sickle cell.

I personally dont believe it either, but I dont have enough evidence so give a definitive yes or no.

Btw pagan_nja abeg stop derailing the thread. Push your agenda on your own thread.
Re: Reincarnation In Yorubaland by Nobody: 3:15am On Jan 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I know tribal Culture and religion is inseparable. IT IS FACT.

but then how will anyone take our Religions seriously if it is always branded as culture and our spirit dances are branded as masquerades. pray tell me?

I got u

(1) (Reply)

How To Make A Blue Braided Seed Bead Necklace / Rebuttal- Why Are Igbos Trying So Hard To Claim Delta Igbos Are Igbos. / Yoruba Land Is Landlocked Fact And Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.