Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,028 members, 7,956,809 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:39 PM

Send 3 Sms As 1 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Send 3 Sms As 1 (2048 Views)

I Need Original Samsung S4 Battery Who As 1 For Sale / Sms As Low As 0.85kobo / Send Sms As Cheap As #2 ( Two Naira) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Send 3 Sms As 1 by diehard(m): 10:32am On Feb 28, 2008
All, i've a software that allows u to send sms of up to 450 xters instead of the 150/160 xters allowed by most phones and u can also send sms with an expiry date after which it'll delete itself from the phone u send it to. and u can also hide ur number while sending the sms.

the file size is 315kb, so i don't know how to post it for sharing, and it's for only symbian phones.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by symbian03(m): 10:51am On Feb 28, 2008
Just post D Link.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by diehard(m): 11:06am On Feb 28, 2008
i have the file on my computer and the max file that can be attached is 200kb
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by naijafan(m): 2:03pm On Feb 28, 2008
yea, i wouldnt mind checking out the application at all. wouldnt the recipient need the application installed as well? upload it to some share site. . .

my friends and i worked on somethn like that back in schl. the application we had in mind was supposed to be installed on both the sender and recipient's phone. the hard part was in figuring out the compression algorithm. we had a max limit of 360 characters to be achieved using bit-elimination as the SMS character set is much smaller than the full ascii character set. we later found out that SMS characters are made up of 7-bit each as opposed to the 8 we had in mind (dont knw why we even had 8 in mind in the first place ), max limit was brought down to about 270 characters, this was taken up to about 312 by eliminating characters that are barely used while sending SMSs but still part of the SMS character set.

the project kept taking time and was finally dropped as interest waned sad, but man. . . i'll really still want to see an application like that in action. . and if possible, be involved in future developments.

But come to think of it, all that stress for SMS, when we've got MMS. grin No be by that one sha. . the algorithm can always be applied to other things wink
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by jerky1805: 2:04pm On Feb 28, 2008
MY EMAIL IS JERKY1805@YAHOO.CO.UK
CAN U SEND IT TO MY EMAIL BOX?
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by diehard(m): 2:50pm On Feb 28, 2008
I don't mind sending it to the moderator, if he had a share folder/site where poeple can view & download it. but i want to avoid the option of e-mailing it to everybody that asked for it.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by naijafan(m): 3:06pm On Feb 28, 2008
dude, upload it to a filesharing site.

rapidshare.com
yousendit.com

etc.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by naijafan(m): 3:11pm On Feb 28, 2008
hey, i hope its not one funny application like that which uses GPRS that u're talking about. . . i've forgotten the name. But it sucks. I really hope yours uses the SMS feature of the network.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by diehard(m): 4:03pm On Feb 28, 2008
@naijafan
i finally was able to load it into rapidshare. hola me if it works on your phone.

It uses the sms facility of your network and not GPRS

http://rapidshare.com/files/95634649/SMSzipper.zip.html

If anybody have a problem with the file, just post on forum
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by DualCore1: 4:44pm On Feb 28, 2008
naijafan:

we had a max limit of 360 characters to be achieved using bit-elimination as the SMS character set is much smaller than the full ascii character set. we later found out that SMS characters are made up of 7-bit each as opposed to the 8 we had in mind (don't knw why we even had 8 in mind in the first place ), max limit was brought down to about 270 characters, this was taken up to about 312 by eliminating characters that are barely used while sending SMSs but still part of the SMS character set.

ENGLISH PLEASE
angry

thank God sey i study software engineering
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by DualCore1: 4:48pm On Feb 28, 2008
Simply put the english version is that, they could not do it, cUz they ran into one too many bugs and their Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) was crap. wink

***runs into hiding, naijafan could get violent at times, especially when it comes to programming.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by naijafan(m): 5:16pm On Feb 28, 2008
LOL @ Dual Core

what do you mean by bugs? hitches you mean grin

ok ok. assuming the following table (8bit assumption)
a = 0000 0001
b = 0000 0002
c = 0000 0003
etc.

single bit elimination on a message containing the word 'cab' would result in the following:

cab (8bit) 00000003 00000001 00000002
cab (elimination) 000000300000010000002 - by removing the first '0' in each byte
conversion back to 8bit results in: 00000030 00000100 00002

the third segment has incomplete bits. it can be padded at this stage to create a true character. decompression is simply a reverse of this steps.
this way, for every 7 characters, an extra character is gained. Thus, this can extend SMS from 160 to 182 characters.

This is just an analogy anyways. . . an analysis of the actual character set allows elimination of up to 2 bits and some other series of manipulations. Compression ratio is increased accordingly.

Hey, did i just post that demo? Sh!t, patented sturvs grin. . . nothing dey happen jare. Knowledge is free wink
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by naijafan(m): 5:25pm On Feb 28, 2008
@diehard

i'm checking it out right away
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by naijafan(m): 5:49pm On Feb 28, 2008
@diehard

just as i guessed, it requires your recipient to have the message as well. can you drop your number so we could test the features? its cool tho.

It has this codebook feature which you have to set to wat language your message is written in to improve the compression ratio. THis means they have some sort of list of common words that can be used which have been mapped to certain short characters. That's a nice addition. anyways. . .
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by jahnnelly(m): 8:00pm On Feb 28, 2008
Naijafan. U really amaze n thril me. Wow! When i read your reply i was truely impressed. I love people who actually know what they are talking about. Please my name is Emmanuel. My e-mail address is jahnnelly@yahoo.com. Please tell me more about all this n yourself. Thanks
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by Nobody: 8:52pm On Feb 28, 2008
Curriculum Vitae tongue
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by DualCore1: 9:04pm On Feb 28, 2008
NaijaFan, ya CV plz. . . hehehe

ahem, back to tht snippet, i no talk sey the analogy dey wrong. u no get me point. i said d fact tht una been no fit come up with the app fit mean sey una SDLC waz lipsrsealed. but then again, na classwork, so no priority tied to it, if na biz u'll have fixed it.

and why on earth do u have to question me calling it a bug, abi no be bug. a hitch is a bug.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by naijafan(m): 9:32pm On Feb 28, 2008
@dual core
it wasnt a class project. . . my friends and i just felt like doing somethn. . . but it took longer than anticipated. . . so interest wanned. If it was a class project, it would have had to be submitted - think! tongue

interest wanning is a hitch. not a bug wink

@jahnnelly
thanks for the compliments smiley
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 28, 2008
naijafan:

@dual core
- think!
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by lynxnoon(m): 10:46pm On Feb 28, 2008
@ poster et al
wel som phones wont need this app; som symbian fones on series 60 3rd platform eg my phone npkia 6120
thankx anyway i think my nokia 3230 needs it oh wink wink

@info
which ones na? hw u dey?
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by Nobody: 11:04pm On Feb 28, 2008
@ lynxnoon

i just finish battle with ubuntu (live user mode) 
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by lynxnoon(m): 7:34am On Feb 29, 2008
@info
UBUNTU hmmmm men na cool OS but not user friendly stopped using it for awhile now because it keeps reject most programs i try to install (amarok kips hanging wen i try to play songs wit it); well maybe afta i finish downloading ultimate ver. (bin on it for abt som weeks now, ofcourse trust NEPA to always F***k up)
But enuf respect to Ubuntu (i use Feisty fawn) wink wink
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by DualCore1: 8:26am On Feb 29, 2008
info:

@ lynxnoon

i just finish battle with ubuntu (live user mode)
hahahahahahhahahaaaa

ubuntu is tight and cool. just stuck on windows cUz i got so much .EXEs and .MSIs and i dont fancy using Wine for linux.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by naijafan(m): 9:26am On Feb 29, 2008
lynxnoon:

@ poster et al
wel som phones wont need this app; som symbian fones on series 60 3rd platform eg my phone npkia 6120
thankx anyway i think my nokia 3230 needs it oh wink wink

there is no phone that sends messages beyond 160 characters as 1.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by lynxnoon(m): 8:10am On Mar 01, 2008
naijafan:

there is no phone that sends messages beyond 160 characters as 1.
wel wat i mean is ur txt goes as a single message and not broken into 2 or 3 tho the operator may bill 4 more dan 1 txt message
Besides i have received very long txt message frm even lesser phone models dan mine and i know Sony erricsson S600i does d same tin
She u dey use N85? wel am surprised its not woking on urs
Cheers
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by DualCore1: 8:25am On Mar 01, 2008
best way to send the longest text message ever is to sent it through MMS grin
type your bulky love letter in notepad, save and transfer to phone. open file on phone, do a copy-paste thingy, send as mms and voila. but ofcourse the reciever must have an mms enabled fone. [s](if the chic no get high tech phone for mms and gprs, wetin i dey do with am? angry )[/s]
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by lynxnoon(m): 8:33am On Mar 01, 2008
hey DC
my guy hw u dey?
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by DualCore1: 8:53am On Mar 01, 2008
bros i dey oh. nothing much sha, just studies smiley
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by topeteadr(m): 10:39am On Mar 01, 2008
Lol . . . Awesome, but I don't hv a symbian
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by naijafan(m): 11:31pm On Mar 01, 2008
lynxnoon:

wel what i mean is your txt goes as a single message and not broken into 2 or 3 tho the operator may bill 4 more dan 1 txt message
Besides i have received very long txt message frm even lesser phone models dan mine and i know Sony erricsson S600i does d same tin
She u dey use N85? wel am surprised its not woking on urs
Cheers

1. There's nothing like N85
2. The problem being solved is not trying to send multipart messages. It is trying to extend the basic SMS 160 character limit to accomodate much more. Thus, the network charges you for 1 message cos you're simply sending 160 characters or less accross the network, even if the actual message is about 250 characters or more.

I guess you now understand. cool
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by ajayi1(m): 5:25am On Mar 02, 2008
it's same thing. a page is 160 character.
Re: Send 3 Sms As 1 by dragnet: 5:48am On Mar 02, 2008
ajayi1, its trying to compress two pages or more into one page

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i And Htc Desire For Sale / Tecno M3 Vs Tecno D5: Which Is Better? / Blackberry First Foxconn Partnership Phone Will Be 3G BB10 Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.