Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,218 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Italy's Would-be Leader Warns Cameron - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Italy's Would-be Leader Warns Cameron (435 Views)

Deadly Militants Will Emerge To Replace Tompolo – Youth Leader Warns Buhari / MASSOB Leader Warns Igbo Resident In North To Return Home / PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY: APC Leader Warns Delegates Against Monetisation Of Votes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Italy's Would-be Leader Warns Cameron by imeller: 6:50pm On Jan 14, 2013
The front runner in the race to be Italy's next leader says Britain must not "paralyse" the EU if it seeks to repatriate powers from Brussels.

In his first British TV interview, Pier Luigi Bersani, who heads the left-wing Democratic Party, says no one should try to hold the eurozone to ransom as it attempts further political and fiscal integration to save the Euro.

The British Government has indicated that it may veto attempts to alter EU treaties, unless it can claw back jurisdiction in certain areas, which could be put to British voters in a referendum.

David Cameron is expected to outline his thoughts in a speech to be delivered in The Hague on January 22.

Mr Bersani told Sky News: "The British must choose their path and I hope that their choice is pro-Europe.

"But regardless of that, the eurozone must act responsibly as they have a common currency, so will have to further integrate their policies.

"This is the fundamental dynamic before Britain when it comes to making a decision.

"The future might allow European relationships at multiple speeds and multiple tiers. As the eurozone cannot keep pulling the handbrake, this is inevitable. I hope that solutions can be found to keep Britain as close as possible to the eurozone.

"I believe Europe should have an open and constructive mindset toward Britain's needs, but not to the point of paralysing it, because that would be a damaging for everyone."

The Democratic Party (PD) led by the 61-year-old cigar-smoking former communist is promising to maintain the fiscal discipline of the Monti administration, while pursuing a pro-growth agenda.
Silvio Berlusconi reacting during a press conference following an economic agreement for small and medium companies. Silvio Berlusconi is fighting a series of allegations

The PD heads an alliance of left-leaning parties which is is currently polling at 39% ahead of the elections that will be held on the February 24 and 25.

Current Prime Minister Mario Monti leads a centre coalition with 15% support, while a union of Silvio Berlusconi's People of Freedom group and the Northern League, garners over 25%.

It is likely Mr Bersani will win a majority in the lower house but may be forced to establish a grand coalition with Mr Monti in the senate.

He told Sky News: "Even with a clear majority in both houses we would be open to talking or working together with those who are pro-Europe moderates like Monti.

"I don't think it's hard to find a middle ground. After all, we just had a year in which we worked in a grand coalition with Berlusconi, yet we managed to save Italy from the precipice.

"I believe these are not real problems, our issues are about the real economy, not political alliances."

As for the colourful Mr Berlusconi, who is fighting fraud and allegations he consorted with an underage prostitute, Mr Bersani refused to make any direct criticism.

"My party will likely be the only one without my name in the logo on the ballot," he said.

"I have been at odds for years with the way Italian politics has been personalised. The Democratic Party wants to be an antidote to this disease; we are the only collective political force which has a shelf-life that goes beyond the leader."

Source: http://news.sky.com/story/1037834/italys-would-be-leader-bersani-warns-cameron

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think This Is Political Impossibilities? / Unidentified 'dead' Body Found Near Abuja Police Station / AMAC 2013: ACN CPC Test Run Merger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.