Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,991 members, 7,810,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

Help With Spouse Visa Requirements - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help With Spouse Visa Requirements (3865 Views)

Uk Citizen With Spouse Going To Ireland / UK Spouse Visa/Appeal Process-part2 / Visa Requirements For Dubai? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jan 15, 2013
Please nairalanders I need your advice on getting a spouse visa.
I would start off by saying I recently just got married to a British expat that lives and works here in Lagos but travels during the holidays back home to the uk. Before we got married we decided that Nigeria would be our home but we'll always travel during the holidays back to the uk. Based on this decision, his last trip this December he sold his house since there's no one there. Now we plan on vacationing this summer for about a month but I'm confused. I do not intend to live in the uk atleast not for another 4 years, do I still apply for a spouse visa even though i plan to stay a month. We also decided to rent an apartment while we are there. My strong tie to Nigeria is my 5 years old son from a previous relationship and my business also my husbands contract isn't due till 2016. I have also read that he needs to earn 18k and above annually to meet d financial requirement, right now he''s paid 5kpounds monthly that's 60k a year. How long does the spouse visa take? Do I have to do a change of name on my passport cos I recently renewed it and it doesn't expire till 2017. Do I fill the application in my name as it is on my passport or in his? Please I need you advice on how to get this right, thank you.
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Vicjustice: 7:08pm On Jan 15, 2013
Proudlygemini: Please nairalanders I need your advice on getting a spouse visa.
I would start off by saying I recently just got married to a British expat that lives and works here in Lagos but travels during the holidays back home to the uk. Before we got married we decided that Nigeria would be our home but we'll always travel during the holidays back to the uk. Based on this decision, his last trip this December he sold his house since there's no one there. Now we plan on vacationing this summer for about a month but I'm confused. I do not intend to live in the uk atleast not for another 4 years, do I still apply for a spouse visa even though i plan to stay a month. We also decided to rent an apartment while we are there. My strong tie to Nigeria is my 5 years old son from a previous relationship and my business also my husbands contract isn't due till 2016. I have also read that he needs to earn 18k and above annually to meet d financial requirement, right now he''s paid 5kpounds monthly that's 60k a year. How long does the spouse visa take? Do I have to do a change of name on my passport cos I recently renewed it and it doesn't expire till 2017. Do I fill the application in my name as it is on my passport or in his? Please I need you advice on how to get this right, thank you.
If you're to select the category that best applies to you, you would have to choose Spouse/Family-member of an EU/EEA/Swits citizen: so, by default, you will be applying for spouse visa.
I know your concerns, but understand that Spouse visa does not represent a Leave To Remain, you are a spouse and therefore, you should apply for your visa as one: remember that you'd have priority and you're not charged a visa fee.
You are,eligible to either apply for a settlement visa or for a tourist visa under Spouse category
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by justwise(m): 7:19pm On Jan 15, 2013
Proudlygemini: Please nairalanders I need your advice on getting a spouse visa.

Post it here https://www.nairaland.com/520290/spouse-visa-indefinate-leave-remain
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 15, 2013
Vicjustice:
If you're to select the category that best applies to you, you would have to choose Spouse/Family-member of an EU/EEA/Swits citizen: so, by default, you will be applying for spouse visa.
I know your concerns, but understand that Spouse visa does not represent a Leave To Remain, you are a spouse and therefore, you should apply for your visa as one: remember that you'd have priority and you're not charged a visa fee.
You are,eligible to either apply for a settlement visa or for a tourist visa under Spouse category
@vicjustice thanks so much for the break down. Which would you think is best choice for me, I know someday I'd like to settle in the uk but for now visit are fine. But wouldn't d fact that my hubby doesn't own a home in the uk be a prob? Pls can you also help me with links for the spouse tourist visa and settlement visa, thank you sir.
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Vicjustice: 8:48pm On Jan 15, 2013
Proudlygemini: @vicjustice thanks so much for the break down. Which would you think is best choice for me, I know someday I'd like to settle in the uk but for now visit are fine. But wouldn't d fact that my hubby doesn't own a home in the uk be a prob? Pls can you also help me with links for the spouse tourist visa and settlement visa, thank you sir.
Owning a personal house is not a requirement for a UK visa, what is required is to have accommodation available for you.
There is no special link for your visa category, all you have to do is to select your category from the general link... Click here:
http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 21, 2013
Mr vicjustice thanks for the reply and the visa link. I have done some research and realize that if I apply for a spouse visa it means I should be ready to live in the uk for 2years and would be allowed 90days to travel out of the uk each year. Would it be better i apply as a family visitor instead? Pls what documents are required for that? This thing is beginning to give me serious headache lol, thanks for your help sir
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Nobody: 11:42am On Jan 22, 2013
Pls kindly help mr vicjustice
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Vicjustice: 11:59am On Jan 22, 2013
Proudlygemini: Mr vicjustice thanks for the reply and the visa link. I have done some research and realize that if I apply for a spouse visa it means I should be ready to live in the uk for 2years and would be allowed 90days to travel out of the uk each year. Would it be better i apply as a family visitor instead? Pls what documents are required for that? This thing is beginning to give me serious headache lol, thanks for your help sir
Family Visitors are people who are visiting their family members in the UK... Like I explained before, you can apply as a spouse/family member of a UK/EU citizen even if you're only visiting. It's free of charge
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jan 23, 2013
If your spouse does not live in the UK at present, then your best bet is to apply for a tourist visa.
Whenever you guys are ready to move back to the UK, then you can apply for a spousal visa.
A spousal visa is issued if the sponsor is currently residing in the UK or is planning to move back to the UK.

For your tourist visa, your hubby needs to state he is a UK citizen and taking you to the UK on a visit.
Let him write a letter and submit a copy of his british passport.
Submit proof of accomodation (hotel booking is enough)
Proof of being able to afford the trip.
Work details in Nigeria: Contract, payslip etc.
Marriage Certificate - Please supply enough info to show its not a scam. Pictures, certificates, if you have visited other countries together, you can supply info.

P.S This is easy as long as he can afford it.
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2013
@ Vic Justice,

Spousal visa (UK) is not free of charge.

At at 2009, it was about N155,000

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/fees/
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jan 23, 2013
aysometin: If your spouse does not live in the UK at present, then your best bet is to apply for a tourist visa.
Whenever you guys are ready to move back to the UK, then you can apply for a spousal visa.
A spousal visa is issued if the sponsor is currently residing in the UK or is planning to move back to the UK.

For your tourist visa, your hubby needs to state he is a UK citizen and taking you to the UK on a visit.
Marriage Certificate - Please supply enough info to show its not a scam. Pictures, certificates, if you have visited other countries together, you can supply info.

thanks you sooooooo much.
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by scottishlass: 4:23pm On Jan 23, 2013
aysometin: If your spouse does not live in the UK at present, then your best bet is to apply for a tourist visa.

Just confirming the above post, you will have to apply for a tourist visa for now since you are only going for a short holiday. You can apply for a spouse visa in the future if you and your hubby decide to relocate and settle in the UK. Your hubby needs to write a very good supporting letter for your tourist visa application and the onus is on you to prove that your relationship is genuine. Goodluck!
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 23, 2013
scottishlass:

Just confirming the above post, you will have to apply for a tourist visa for now since you are only going for a short holiday. You can apply for a spouse visa in the future if you and your hubby decide to relocate and settle in the UK. Your hubby needs to write a very good supporting letter for your tourist visa application and the onus is on you to prove that your relationship is genuine. Goodluck!
. Thanks for your help, really grateful.
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 08, 2013
Hello guys, i'm finally applying for my tourist visa next week but i still have somethings i want to verify with the experts. i have followed the advise given that i should apply for a tourist visa instead of a spouse visa since i would be away for 2weeks. Still note that my hubby is a british citizen i plan on adding the following documents to my application:
1.Husband's passport bio page
2. Marriage certificate
3. Divorce decree and rights to marriage
4. affidavit of spinsterhood nd rights to marry
5. husband's contract and payslip for 6months
6. Husbands leave letter from company
7. Hotel booking
8. Our Joint account statement of over 2m
9. My personal Tax receipt
10. My son's birth certificate
11.Travel Itinerary
12. Lots of pictures before and after marriage
13. wedding album
14. Invitation letter from my husband
15. Travel Insurance
16. Travel history of trip taken together
17. Flight reservation (already booked by husbands company)
18. Husband's Resident permit
19. Western union transfers from hubby to me
20. Birthday, valentine, christmas cards.
21. My change of name documents(newspaper publication, sworn affidavit)

Pls i would like to know if these documents are sufficient to apply for my tourist visa, i have applied twice in the past before i got married and was denied due to insufficient funds,would my previous applications be refered to even though i'm married now? (note: never used false documents) Also i plan on getting a statement of account as soon as my husband is paid, would that count has money lodgement?

Thanks so much for ur time and help.
Re: Help With Spouse Visa Requirements by justwise(m): 2:05pm On Jul 08, 2013

(1)

See What Happens To Some Nigerians Who Try To Cross To Europe Via Sahara Desert / Virgin Passport ,asked To Disvirgin It,pls.advise / Hotels In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.