Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,853 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? (17690 Views)

Irregular/ceased Menstruation: How To Get Your Menses Back / Irregular/ceased Menstruation: How To Get Your Menses Back / No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by ashaby(f): 5:10am On Feb 29, 2008
Fellow nairalanders, pls i really need ur help. Is it possible for a woman to have her menstrual cycle without pains? I have been having pains during my period for as long as i can remember and it is now getting unbearable. Please advise me on what to do if it is actually possible to secure a solution to this problem.

Will be waiting!!!
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by Desaoye(f): 4:08pm On Feb 29, 2008
ashaby, sorry for the menstrual pain, firstly what i think can cause this pain is too much sugar taking and possibly you have pile. I can only recommend maybe you use a menstrual pain relieve tablet (like Painkil) take Menstrogen tablet; it reduces menstrual pain and also avoid too much sugary food.
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by ashaby(f): 12:07pm On Mar 01, 2008
thanks a lot Desa. I think ive been guilty of taking too much sugar in d past. But dats been a long tym, in fact i dont take it anymore. i wonder y d pain is still so much. Anyway i appreciate ur advise!!
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by NaJaHaJe(f): 1:12pm On Mar 01, 2008
I was prescribed MEFANAMIC ACID at the hospital. This was when i passed out from the pain.

It works like a charm grin It reduced the pain to a dull thud. For my other friend , after she took them she said she felt no pain whatsoeva. So it works differently for diferent people. It is really strong tho.

You can only get it on prescription.

Exercises and Hot water bottle helps a lot too.
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by almondjoy(f): 9:07am On Mar 02, 2008
It will get better with time.  Birth control pills helped me a lot.  Depending on what is causing your pain ( physical/emotional/stress or physiological).  Might want to go and get a thorough gyn exam to make sure you are not "sprouting" adhesions.

There a lot of medication that can help relieve the symptoms. Check with your doctor to see which is best for you.
Goodluck!
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by Vicjustice: 1:33am On Apr 25, 2008
It's not a rare thing that some women experience dysmenorrhea (pain or discomfort during menstruations). But yet, most women experience normal bearable menstruation.
   However, if your period is so unbearably painful then, it could be a sign of an actual disease and therefore means you ought to see a Gynaecologist.
   Painful menstruation is usually caused by contractions which occur in the musculature of the uterus. These contractions take place when the body releases some potent hormone-like substance prostaglandins produced by the lining of the womb.
   My suggestion is: you really have to make a conforming manner of living a healthy physical lifestyle; ie be active with exercise, be having a enough sleep, love to drink enough water daily, minimise your stress: and if you feel the need, you may take pain killers. But if symptom persist, see a Doc at once: because, it's not normail in any sense for you to have such unbearable pain during menstruation period. So, a Doc should be able to help and carry out a pelvic examination to proact or react against any case that might cause this condition known as dysmenorrhea
   Laparoscopy or Ultrasound scan can help in detecting the cause and medicines which can minimise the production of prostaglandins and pain can be prescribed.
   Note: Your pain could as well be caused by some certain conditions like the disease that inflame the pelvic, or the presence of endometrium elsewhere than in the lining of the uterus.
   Oh, yawn, yawn, yawnnnnnnhhhhh!!!!!  So boring to be here, i prefere the TRAVEL section cool
   Please, see a live Doctor, he'd be able to explain better.  Cheers! smiley
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by Antidote1(f): 3:03am On Apr 25, 2008
@Poster,
gosh and I always thought I had it the worse. Thank God for birth control pills, Nothing else worked. I had a laporascopy done some years aback and nothing was found, but the pain was unbearable, so my GYN placed me on those pills. Finally I can be human during those 3 days every month, Amen,
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by laceybric(f): 10:27pm On Apr 29, 2008
Ibuprofen also helps.Brustan N is a good brand. But beware, some drugs have ibuprofen mixed with caffeine. I dont advise taking that except u want 2 stay awake and alert. I usually take ibuprofen(400mg) cos my pain is unbearable and weakens me badly,sometimes i puke. 1 tab every six to eight hours. Why take birth control pills, i have heard previously that women who take birth control pills cconsistently for a long time, find it difficult to get pregnant when they want to. I dont know how true this is but be careful
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by Cadet(f): 4:07am On Apr 30, 2008
Motrin, that's all you need. works fast and it does not make you drowsy grin
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by uchetobi(f): 4:18pm On May 06, 2008
Sugar has absolutely nothing to do with it, I stayed of sugar and off carbs for a month…had my worse period that month….see a gynecologist, I saw one…he recommended feldene not felvene o!, and cataflam and they went a long way to help…, then pray also….with time it begins to ease actually. These days I hardly use drugs
Some 2 years back…mine was really bad, I use to stool and throw up at d same time, rol on the floor, the whole house, whole hostel used to know when I was on, I used to take Intra venous injections….but thank God now it has eased up….at least its more bearable…
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by k4own(m): 4:40pm On May 06, 2008
hi am male but i have sisters ,the only thing i recommend which works for them is bitter kola.take it a day before your period and also during the flow.IF it works for u let me know. :[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by bollingjoe(m): 7:37am On May 15, 2008
Ashaby why not try feldene make sure u begintakin it 2 or 3 days b4 ur period begins
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by bollingjoe(m): 7:38am On May 15, 2008
Ashaby why not try feldene make sure u begintakin it 2 or 3 days b4 ur period begins
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by reindeer: 10:09pm On May 31, 2008
On an interesting note, all you have to do is to get pregnant and start having kids!
Usually dysmennorhea stops right after then, in the meantime see your GYN, grin
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by amberella: 10:15pm On May 31, 2008
You can talk to your doctor about the birth control pill and even try some different kinds until you find one that makes the pain subside.

Another option is the Mirena IUD.  It's about $300 US but it lasts for 5 years and you don't get your period. It also doesn't have the other side effects of the pill (mood swings, weight gain, etc.)
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by spicy007(f): 6:22pm On Jun 04, 2008
amber_ella:

You can talk to your doctor about the birth control pill and even try some different kinds until you find one that makes the pain subside.

Another option is the Mirena IUD. It's about $300 US but it lasts for 5 years and you don't get your period. It also doesn't have the other side effects of the pill (mood swings, weight gain, etc.)

hey, pls could u shed a lil more light on that, wot exactly do u mean one wouldnt see her period for 5 years?
i have dysmenorrhea also and bliv me , the first 5 hours isnt always funny. everyone around me always knows when it starts and its become an embarrassment.
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by Nobody: 5:00am On Jun 05, 2008
Motrin, that's all you need. works fast and it does not make you drowsy

How effective is it?
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by ikamefa(f): 9:03pm On Jun 10, 2008
amber_ella:

Another option is the Mirena IUD. It's a[b]bout $300 US but it lasts for 5 years and you don't get your period. [/b] It also doesn't have the other side effects of the pill (mood swings, weight gain, etc.)

huh? no period for 5 years? shocked nahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by amberella: 9:06pm On Jun 10, 2008
http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/centres/sex/birthcontrol/mirena.html

"In studies of Mirena, women's periods were reduced by 85 percent after three months and 97 percent after a year. Although bleeding is much lighter, some women who use Mirena have difficulty predicting when their period will occur. "
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by ikamefa(f): 9:10pm On Jun 10, 2008
amber_ella:

"In studies of Mirena, women's periods were reduced by 85 percent after three months and 97 percent after a year. Although bleeding is much lighter, some women who use Mirena have difficulty predicting when their period will occur. "

not disputing your source and the info itself!

my take is women were naturally supposed to bleed at a certain time of the month , why mess with that natural balance of things? is it pain? am sure a change in diet and some other remedies can help!.
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by amberella: 9:18pm On Jun 10, 2008
The reason I have it is that it is the most effective form of birth control on the market right now, and it has fewer side effects than the pill and others.

It doesn't mess with your hormones, it doesn't cause cancer, It's actually very safe.
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by pia: 7:32pm On Feb 20, 2009
Talk to your family dr and ask for a referal to see a gynocologist. I had severe cramps, much like most of you have described, and I suffered for years up until the age of 32. Many people told me they would go away with time, but they never went away. Drs kept perscribing pills, one even told me it was just in my head. After an ultrasound and laproscopic surgery (a very minor, non-invasive procedure) it was discovered I had endometriosis, see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometriosis. Once it was removed, low and behold, the nasty cramps were gone! I experienced very minor premenstral symptoms after the surgery . . . in walk in the park compared to what I endured before. After 5 years my cramps are slowly getting worse again, as endometriosis grows back, and I'll have to have the surgery once again.

Endometrisis is more common in women than most people think and it is treatable. Insist to your Dr you want to stop with the drugs and have proper tests done. Believe it or not, mother nature never intended for you live with this aweful pain. Best of luck to you smiley
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by TOLABABE1(f): 1:19pm On Feb 27, 2009
I feel for those who experience menstrual pain, some of us fortunately avn't experience it before, my case for instance is no pain, heavy flow for 2days and it last for 5-6day, but a cousin of mine do complain of such and eversince she started using YOYO BITTERS she has stop having the pain, @poster u may give it a tryer and that doesn't stop u from seeking medical attention ooooooh.
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by Bicci: 1:43pm On Feb 28, 2009
What you eat matters a lot
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by AllWoman: 1:58am On Dec 27, 2014
ashaby:
Fellow nairalanders, pls i really need ur help. Is it possible for a woman to have her menstrual cycle without pains? I have been having pains during my period for as long as i can remember and it is now getting unbearable. Please advise me on what to do if it is actually possible to secure a solution to this problem.

Will be waiting!!!

This is an old post. But I would suggest you switch from pads & tampons to Luv Ur Body Menstrual Cups. They are available in Nigeria now on JUMIA.COM & KONGA.COM. Menstrual Cups are known to reduce menstrual cramps in some women. Hope that helps smiley
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by AllWoman: 2:12am On Dec 27, 2014
amberella:

I would strongly recommend you stay away from Mirena IUD if I were you. My personal experience with this IUD was horrible. I can tell you it messed up my life BIG TIME. it's also messed up the lives of millions of women globally, that's why online there are petitions by women trying to gather enough signatures globally to convince the FDA to take it off the market in the USA. Mirena IUD gave me a terrible case of cystic acne which has taken me 5 yrs to even get control of. My face was SPOTLESS untill that thing was put in my VAJ!! Within 4months, my whole face was covered with cystic acne, oozing pus and big & extremely painful. I grew hair on my inner thighs & experienced increased facial hair which in the past 5yrs I've spent almost N2million on laser hair treatment to get rid of all this hair on my body & face. Every month I spend N40,000 of full face laser hair removal because of this Mirena. The hair growth was so bad I thought I had polycystic ovaries. Then there was the SWEAT! OMG! The horrible sweating from Mirena, and the sweat smells so bad to the point I cannot use ordinary Sure or Dove deodorants anymore. I can only use PURE ALUM that I buy in the USA & a combination of CLINICAL STRENGTH ANTI-PERSPIRENTS.

MIRENA ruined my life.

MIRENA DID NOT REDUCE MY MENSTRUAL FLOW, I BLEED LIKE A GOAT THEY'd just slit its throat. My periods became excessively HEAVY. I WAS ALSO HAVING constant spotting all month long. I would bleed on days that I wasn't on my period, I was miserable. I can't imagine what AI would have done if I didn't have my Luv Ur Body Menstrual Cup & had to wear a pad every day of the month. cry d

I suggest you try normal copper IUD's if you must use this form of contraception.

This is my own personal experience with Mirena, other women may not have had such an awful experience. Its best to google for Mirena reviews online before trying it. Some women use it and it's the best thing for the. Since sliced bread! It was a terrible life changing thing for me.
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by Vanije: 8:36am On Sep 16, 2015
Vicjustice:
   It's not a rare thing that some women experience dysmenorrhea (pain or discomfort during menstruations). But yet, most women experience normal bearable menstruation.
   However, if your period is so unbearably painful then, it could be a sign of an actual disease and therefore means you ought to see a Gynaecologist.
   Painful menstruation is usually caused by contractions which occur in the musculature of the uterus. These contractions take place when the body releases some potent hormone-like substance prostaglandins produced by the lining of the womb.
   My suggestion is: you really have to make a conforming manner of living a healthy physical lifestyle; ie be active with exercise, be having a enough sleep, love to drink enough water daily, minimise your stress: and if you feel the need, you may take pain killers. But if symptom persist, see a Doc at once: because, it's not normail in any sense for you to have such unbearable pain during menstruation period. So, a Doc should be able to help and carry out a pelvic examination to proact or react against any case that might cause this condition known as dysmenorrhea
   Laparoscopy or Ultrasound scan can help in detecting the cause and medicines which can minimise the production of prostaglandins and pain can be prescribed.
   Note: Your pain could as well be caused by some certain conditions like the disease that inflame the pelvic, or the presence of endometrium elsewhere than in the lining of the uterus.
   Oh, yawn, yawn, yawnnnnnnhhhhh!!!!!  So boring to be here, i prefere the TRAVEL section cool
   Please, see a live Doctor, he'd be able to explain better.  Cheers! smiley

It could also be a sign of menorrhagia. Menorrhagia is a very common problem that affects most women, some know while others are ignorant. Learn about it @ www.trendyhealthworld.com/menorrhagia/
Re: Pain-free Menstruation: How Achievable? by Jennefy: 6:28pm On Oct 28, 2019
@ uchetobi ,I concur with you,I was in that same menstrual pain situation , everybody knew when I'm on my menses ,pls I will like to know how you treated yours.thanks
uchetobi:
Sugar has absolutely nothing to do with it, I stayed of sugar and off carbs for a month…had my worse period that month….see a gynecologist, I saw one…he recommended feldene not felvene o!, and cataflam and they went a long way to help…, then pray also….with time it begins to ease actually. These days I hardly use drugs
Some 2 years back…mine was really bad, I use to stool and throw up at d same time, rol on the floor, the whole house, whole hostel used to know when I was on, I used to take Intra venous injections….but thank God now it has eased up….at least its more bearable…

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Woman Gives Birth To Five Babies At Luth / Does 'Burantashi' (aphrodisiac ) have A Side Effect? / What Do You Do When You're Depressed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.