Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,231 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth (71070 Views)

One Year After Birth, No Menstruation, please help / 10 Months After Giving Birth, She Has Not Seen Her Menses, Pls Advise / After 2years Of Delivering No Menstruation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by pajimoh(m): 9:52pm On Jun 07, 2006
Is it normal not to see your period after giving birth, 6 months now?
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by hotangel2(f): 10:40pm On Jun 07, 2006
Not really. i dont think it's normal. Maybe she's pregnant again. See a doctor!
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by ikamefa(f): 10:47pm On Jun 07, 2006
it depends on your hormone level after giving birth, also depends on if u breastfeed your baby it also varies from women to women from 3- 6 months in any case she should go see a doctor
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by vickybabe(f): 10:52pm On Jun 07, 2006
i think it is normal as long as

you are breast feeeding

you wont see your period

the hormones that is how they work
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by BigShishi(m): 10:58pm On Jun 07, 2006
it's quite normal if u ask me!
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by eveseh(f): 1:31am On Jun 08, 2006
Big Shishi:

it's quite normal if u ask me!

yea it is
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by T2(m): 5:52pm On Jun 08, 2006
very normal, can even go as 12 months, specialy if breasfeeding, its said to be one of the many "advantages" of breast feeding
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by chad(m): 6:40pm On Jun 08, 2006
it's perfectly normal if u were breastfeeding. it's called 'lactational amenorrhoea'. it's considered as a method of birth control by some tho very unreliable. u see breastfeeding ur baby releases an hormone which inhibits d hormones dat would restore ur menstrual cycle. dat's y it's recommended by d W.H.O 2 breastfeed 4 at least 4 to 6 months b/4 introducing complementary feed cos it sort of protects against another pregnancy so soon.
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by pajimoh(m): 11:07pm On Jun 08, 2006
Thanks to all of you that responded to my question. God bless you all.

2 Likes

Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by vickybabe(f): 11:07pm On Jun 08, 2006
no problemo
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by Badman888(m): 11:09pm On Jun 08, 2006
ee don bizzle be that shocked, i dont think she pregnant again 6 mths u suppose to know by then, check by using google or sumnin like that.
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by princeonx: 11:10pm On Jun 08, 2006
Your mind don come down so Pajimoh? no worry she no drop and pick immediately! but go see Doctor anyhow!
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by Jetty(f): 11:30am On Jun 09, 2006
It is very normal, Women undergo series of changes in there body system before and after child birth. Some never see their menstration until they stop giving birth.The only difficulty she will have is that she wouldn't know how to calculate herself rather indulge in family planning.
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by brushparke(m): 1:55pm On Jun 09, 2006
One of the known benefits of the baby friendly initiative is prolonged Post-partum amenorrhea. If you are practising exclusive breastfeeding, post-partum amenorrhea lasting for 6 months is nothing to worry about.As a matter of fact it is meant to prevent another pregnancy so soon.
But if you are still worried, no harm in checking it out with a Doctor.
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by Ndipe(m): 11:01pm On Feb 20, 2007
Normal, if you are breastfeeding your child. I read it might take upto six months before your period arrives. On the other hand, if you were not breastfeeding, your period can appear as early as 3-4 weeks. Still, check on your gynaecologist for more information.
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by mekoyo(m): 2:24pm On Oct 05, 2007
See a Doctor plsssssss
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by finemocha(f): 7:33pm On Oct 18, 2007
yes its normal, to not see ur menstratuation after birth. after birth u secret this hormone prolactin which produces milk, so prolactin inhibits GnRh which would normally activate secretion of LH, and FSH, now surge of LH responsible for ovulation. no LH no ovulation. its God's on way of birth control
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by tswanson: 4:47pm On Mar 29, 2008
I am not sure how to work this site. I have a question I was hoping someone could help with.

About one month after having my baby I had an IUD put in. I did not start my period yet when they put it in. The preg. test showed neg. I went back a few times complaining of pain on my left lower abd, abnormal spotting and it hurt when I had sex. The doctor kept saying it wasn't the IUD (without checking) that it could be cyst and it will dissolve itself. Finally the third time I went in I say a new Doctor. He did an US and found the IUD was not where it should be. It poked through to the abdominal wall which was scratching me causing pain and the spotting. They took it out the next day. I am due to go back in in about a week to have new one put in. I still have not started a period since I had my baby six months ago. Took blood test it was neg. I only breast fed for a couple weeks (too painful) so what could be causing me not to have a normal period. Normally I would be thrilled but figured I should have started one by now. The spotting I was having lasted for about 4 months which is how long it took a doctor to take it out. Any suggestions The doctors I see now a days just seem to want to get you in and out.
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by Dreloaded(f): 4:53pm On Mar 29, 2008
stick with the new doctor that actaully checked your IUD. The other one did a dangerous thing by dismissing you

IUDs are very effective but personally the thought scares me. Hopefully they do the new one well and make sure you ceck up on it frequently

as for not seeing a period or what not

I suggest seeing a FEMALE GYNO that will take your concerns seriously and talk to her about it. could have been he problem wih the first IUD
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by almondjoy(f): 10:33pm On Mar 29, 2008
@topic
Are you nursing? That is your problem right there even if you are a guy! The trick is that. . . ,you she can still get pregnant too!

Please you guys should head to the nearest family planning clinic before you get the shock of your lives! cheesy
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by ifyalways(f): 7:23pm On Mar 30, 2008
almondjoy:

Please you guys should head to the nearest family planning clinic before you get the shock of your lives! cheesy
speaking from experience cheesy tongue
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by bracken: 9:14pm On May 27, 2009
I have just seen this debate and understand the concerns. I too have had a baby. He is now 9 months old. I stopped breastfeeding in December and have only had one period since (in April). I'm not convinced this is normal. I am not pregnant again though as I did a test. I saw the doctor who wasn't too worried. I am though - at the thought of not being to have another child.

I would agree that it is worth seeing a doctir even after 6 months - there's no harm in getting things checked out. Good luck x
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by glotes(f): 1:37am On May 28, 2009
It is normal, and i have seen cases of 15 months after child birth.
It has a lot to do with breastfeeding and hormones, so do not despair, but you need to
be cautious so as not to be pregnant again soon, as it is not 100% percent prevention .
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by bracken: 9:50am On May 28, 2009
Thanks for that - its reassuring!
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by ibile(m): 11:02am On May 28, 2009
wonderful responses you 've got from fellow nairalanders. So, after test if you 've not taken in and expecting another baby, then relax and take good care of your precious baby. As a matter of fact you can go ahead and enjoy your sex life with you dear husband, as you are not ovulating and so no fear of pregnancy! As for tswanson who is having pains and different discomforts during sex and dificulty breastfeeding, you need to check a good gynaecologist for a proper comprehensive test. from every indication something is wrong. However, do not panick, trust in the Almighty God and you wiil not be disappointed.
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by vjeanne: 9:03am On Apr 17, 2010
hi! i gave birth to my daughter 9 months ago july,2009, and i got my 1st period 2 moths and half after giving birth last october 2009 and i also got period on november but on december i miss my period and at january i got my period but at the last of the months and its end 3rd day of feb. after that i dint got my period i only got spotting. starting on month of febuary until now months of april

i'am breastfeeding my daughter,

i was worried because i might pregnant again I'm not yet ready to get pregnant t again,

hopefully someone can help me, cry
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by x3kayla: 8:40pm On Nov 21, 2010
I had my daughter 4 months ago and i bleed after she was born for like a month and havent gotten it again since then i do not breast feed and i have not had sex since before she was born

could something be wrong?
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by mimi4real(f): 10:01am On Dec 01, 2010
I think is normal, after I gave birth to my baby, I didnt see my period until about seven months and I was not pregranat.

Meanwhile she should try and see the doctor.
Re: No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth by Dblank(f): 12:01pm On Jul 22, 2011
For exclusively breastfeeding moms,it takes approximately 10wks to 25wks before yr periods becomes normal.But sometimes it solely depends on yr hormones,best thingis to see a DOC.Good luck

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boys & Girls Caught Taking meth In South-East (Video) / Benefits Of Early Morning Sex By UNILORIN Professor, Musa Yakubu / Make Healthy Sperm, Naturally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.