Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,833 members, 7,862,739 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:35 AM

NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... - Education (896) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... (1152617 Views)

Obafemi Awolowo University,ile-ife Cut-off Marks For 2013/2014 Session / Futa Admission For 2013/2014 Session / Obafemi Awolowo University (oau), 2013/2014 Session (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (893) (894) (895) (896) (897) (898) (899) ... (1885) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Didi5(m): 11:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hello Fairfax
Doc_Miss how are you doing?
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 12:02am On Sep 18, 2013
Didi 5: Hello Fairfax
Doc_Miss how are you doing?
I'm Great .
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Holyrule(m): 12:09am On Sep 18, 2013
nepa no wan bring lyt make i watch ma HANNIBAL jor angry
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mexyz(m): 12:14am On Sep 18, 2013
@metaphycist, i gat ur point bro,same wit odizeey's. Jst dat its so annoyn d way fellow Nigerians acts as kill joy to those of us clamouring 4 change.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mexyz(m): 12:18am On Sep 18, 2013
The clearance officer dat cleared me during d online clearance was a typical example of a corrupt man. Ds man remuvd my WAEC CARD pinnd to ma docmnts nd threw it insyd his bag.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mexyz(m): 12:24am On Sep 18, 2013
Afta abt 10mins of gistn wit his colleague,he askd me of d card nd i tld him he has takn it. He shoutd at me nd askd me to go nd get a new card,at d same tym he tld me dat he has sme cards wit him 4 sale if i knw i cnt go to d maingate to get d card.

1 Like

Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mickey7(m): 12:30am On Sep 18, 2013
Mexyz: Afta abt 10mins of gistn wit his colleague,he askd me of d card nd i tld him he has takn it. He shoutd at me nd askd me to go nd get a new card,at d same tym he tld me dat he has sme cards wit him 4 sale if i knw i cnt go to d maingate to get d card.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mexyz(m): 12:40am On Sep 18, 2013
I had no option dan 2 pay anoda #500 to him 2 gt my own card. Arguing wit him wud v bn a disaster cos i knew wat was at stake (MY ELIGIBILITY FORM) So metaphycist, u c where me n odizeey re cumn 4rm? Anyway God hlp us to do d little we can. Morning house.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Adex097: 4:09am On Sep 18, 2013
Good morning
Mexyz: The clearance officer dat cleared me during d online clearance was a typical example of a corrupt man. Ds man remuvd my WAEC CARD pinnd to ma docmnts nd threw it insyd his bag.
Lol....another experience.
NOTED grin.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Adex097: 4:18am On Sep 18, 2013
Good morning House!!!!
. cool
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by odizeey(m): 7:08am On Sep 18, 2013
Mexyz: @metaphycist, i gat ur point bro,same wit odizeey's. Jst dat its so annoyn d way fellow Nigerians acts as kill joy to those of us clamouring 4 change.
baba thanks for balancing d equation,bt no mata hw hard we try ppl will always want to pull us down,cos its wat is written,ppl shall b lovers of evil,and haters of good
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by odizeey(m): 7:15am On Sep 18, 2013
Good morning all,todays sctipture is taking from philipian 3;14- i press towards the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 18, 2013
Is err1 Ƞω tayad Öѵ d thread or wah?
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by odizeey(m): 7:38am On Sep 18, 2013
Monsieursuave: Is err1 Ƞω tayad Öѵ d thread or wah?
baba i dnt knw o,i just weak
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Metaphycist(m): 7:52am On Sep 18, 2013
MrRomantic1: Meta,r u tru wid ya writeup
Nt yet jare....stil loading cuz of d poor weather condition in d thread.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nuel01(m): 8:00am On Sep 18, 2013
Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Prof Dibu Ojerinde, spoke to AYOYINKA OLAGOKE in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state last week on this year’s admission exercise and other issues. Excerpts:

WHY did JAMB give October 31 as deadline for admissions to universities?

We are giving October 31 as deadline for all admissions to Universities, because we just have to pick a schedule and do our work. By that time (Oct 31), students would have known where they stand. The session has started. Even if they (universities) are not going to resume, they must admit the candidates and let them know that they have been admitted.

But what about the on-going Academic Staff Union of Universities’ strike?

The ASUU strike will soon be over. The strike should not affect admissions this session. Almost all the universities came for this first technical committee meeting on the 2013/2014 admission exercise. About 118 institutions out of 122 came, with four Colleges of Education that are degree-awarding institutions, affiliated to some universities.

Almost all the universities concluded their admission exercises in the technical meeting. The universities that are not present at the meeting, would come to Abuja to do theirs and we will entertain them. It is a maximum of two months. There will be no other admission after that.

What’s the first technical committee meeting about?

We want to see if we can cover the admission of universities. We are going to admit about 370,000 candidates to various universities and some to other degree awarding institutions. We have called these institutions, we have given them the results of the candidates and we want to see who they want to admit.

The new session is coming. This is August, students are supposed to resume in September. It’s even late. We have done the admission exercise this week. Next week, before August 29 (today), it will be on the Internet. Each individual will know where he or she has been admitted. They can print their letters of admission and go to their institutions in September.

What’s the deadline for admission to Polytechnics, Monotechnics, Colleges of Education and Innovative Enterprise institutions?

Around November 20 and they must also be ready. We are going to do the admission exercise of Polytechnics and Colleges of Education from September, 23 and we are finishing on September, 27. Between September 27 and the middle of November, everybody should finish with admission for this session.

What was the conclusion of this first technical meeting?

The conclusion is that everybody will stick to their schedules and all the candidates who have been given admission; their names will be on Internet this week, before Thursday, August 29 (today). They (candidates) can check whether they have been admitted. By that date, admitted candidates for degree awarding institution should print their letters of admission on the Internet. Sixty-six degree awarding institutions have processed their admission at the meeting. wink
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nuel01(m): 8:02am On Sep 18, 2013
What’s your view on the increased failure rate in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)?

There is nothing like failure. No fail or pass dichotomy in JAMB. The point is that, it depends on available spaces. This year, we have 704,000 places for candidates in tertiary institutions, as against 520, 000 available last year. The number of candidates writing the UTME may increase; the number of available spaces is also increasing. The access to education is increasing very well and I know that it’s not still sufficient because in the final analysis, we have about 950,000 who will not be able to go.

On complaints by students that JAMB has jammed them

They (candidates) will say JAMB has jammed them when they fail; and they have jammed JAMB when they pass. They don’t believe they can fail. When candidates sit for an examination and fail, they will say JAMB has failed them. But when they pass, they will say they passed.

Some individuals see tertiary institutions as a place of pleasure. Parents are even abandoning their responsibilities. Parents should monitor and encourage their children in tertiary institutions. They should supply their children’s needs for them to face their studies.

Nowadays, a lot of immature candidates go into Nigerian Universities. Our parents want their children to be in the university at the age of 16 years, the question is what follows? They may be matured academically, but socially, they are not matured. We should not be rushing the children. I wish we could bring back the HSC (Higher School Certificate) principle. After secondary school, the first two years, you do ‘A levels’ before you go into universities. You will have been matured and you’ll know how to read and study for yourself.

Believe me, HSC is a very good stop point, such that candidates will be matured before they find themselves in the universities. That is what most universities are doing now; they have pre-degree programmes. After pre-degree, they go into degree programmes and such candidates perform better invariably because they are already matured and they know how to manage themselves in university. Students should sit down and study.

Academic excellence is not a function of brain alone. You should be able to manage your environment, time and materials. You should be able to control yourself.

On missing and cancellation of UTME results

The problem of missing results is in the paper/pencil (format). When you give students instructions, they cannot follow them. If you say, shade Biology, they shade Biology two times; that means you will get results in Biology two times. When we say shade Biology, Chemistry, Physics, some candidates will shade only Biology. That means, there will be no result in Chemistry and Physics.

On June 10, I invited as many people who complained to JAMB. I told them: ‘give me N100, 000 and I will bring out your answer sheets. If JAMB is wrong, I will return your N100, 000, correct it (JAMB’s mistake) and give you another N100, 000. Sixty-three of them came, nobody won. At the end of it, I said, ‘I don’t need your money,’ and I gave them back their money. Nobody won!

Some people maintained that they wanted to see their papers because they have only two results instead of four. I told them pay me N10, 000. They paid, then, I brought out their papers and showed them. After that, they kept begging me. I told them they cannot beg me to correct their mistakes after the examination. I told them that (following instructions) was part of the examination. If you cannot be taught proper things from where you are coming, we teach you the right things in JAMB.

Candidates are to blame for missing results. Cancellation of results is due to one form of malpractices or the other. When you go to a centre and see students scrambling, passing papers to one another, sending messages to one another in the examination hall, we cancel your result. But the question is, why are they struggling to pass? It is because the access is very narrow. It’s becoming the survival of the fittest. The competition is getting stiffer and as it gets stiffer, students begin to look for shortcuts, instead of facing their studies. You can’t get a shortcut to success that way.

What’s your stand on post UTME screening?

Nigerian students should stop the post UTME screening on their own by not cheating. It’s because they are cheating, that’s why post UTME has been established. When people say it’s because JAMB is not doing well, that is why we have the post UTME, what is the business of JAMB with parents who are tailoring their children to go and cheat? What’s the business of JAMB with the schools that refused to teach the children the syllabus? What’s the business of JAMB with the proprietors who are promoting examination malpractice? Are we in charge of that?

We organise examinations, when they don’t pass, that’s the end. As I said earlier, there’s no fail/pass dichotomy in JAMB, but if you cheat to win, you cannot cheat all the time. That’s why some of them are failing in the universities.

1 Like

Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nuel01(m): 8:04am On Sep 18, 2013

What’s the solution to examination malpractice?

That’s why we are introducing the Computer Based Testing (CBT). Electronic testing is a system where an individual is faced with a computer and questions are coming out for you to answer and move on. In fact, if you sit with 10 people by your right and left, they are not going to help you. I’m praying for a time when I will tell candidates to bring their textbooks to the examination hall and look for the answers. Unless you know the details of the textbook, you will still fail.

That’s what we call open book. If I asked you a question on mathematics and I say bring your textbook on mathematics, open the book and answer the question, if you have not studied the textbook in and out, you will still fail woefully.

The essence of an examination is not to determine the rate of failure, but how much you know. And before you can know, you must have studied that book. I give you a question and you don’t know where the answer is, you’ll waste your time. Before you know it, time is gone.

We have started E-testing already. This year, 100,000 candidates did it and they passed better than those who did paper/pencil test. We are going to fully launch in E-testing for everybody by 2015.

Benefits of E-testing

If you do your examination today and finished by 10.00am, before 12.00pm the same day, you will get your result on your handset. We won’t need to carry papers from one point to another again in trucks. This year, I used 98 pickups to distribute question papers all over the country. Perhaps, we can send the questions from our office to the centers in three minutes, using VSAT. The candidates will do the examination, immediately they finish, answers are sent back to our office and from there we mark automatically and within two hours you get your result. Once your responses come to the center, they are matched with the correct ones and your result is out immediately.

What about the issue of corruption in JAMB?

There is no corruption in JAMB. If you know one (corrupt) person, I will like to know the person. There may be some one form of misbehaviour or the other, anybody caught in that aspect will be shown the way out. The bad ones within the last seven years have gone. If I get anyone today, the person is going away tomorrow.

On decadence in the education sector

Is there any sector in this country where we don’t have decadence? The fact is that several things are happening. Talking about decadence in universities, I know that the available space is so tiny. The same space we used for 3,000 candidates about 15 years ago, we are still using it for about 6,000 candidates. We cannot get the same result.

Whatever you give is what you are going to reap. If a space meant for 3,000 candidates is being used for 6, 000 candidates, there is no way there can be a better result. Learning is a matter of interaction between the students and the facilitators.

In those days, they used to organize tutorials for students. Do they have tutorials anymore? Tutorial is meant to be a class for 20 candidates, interacting with the lecturers, which make studies clearer to the candidates. Decadence is everywhere in the society. Examination malpractice is everywhere. Talking of examination malpractice in UTME, WASSCE (organized by WAEC) or the SSCE (organized by NECO), who are the perpetrators? The people teaching these candidates in the various institutions are the perpetrators. They are the people who have learnt the act of examination malpractice, and they bring it into secondary schools. Like teachers, like pupils.

What’s the solution?

The solution is for us to increase the quality of education in terms of input and in terms of preparing teachers. Who wants to be a teacher now? Nobody! Because they know that teachers are not well paid. ASUU is on strike for the past two months now. We need to face the reality that we are taking education as a part time business. It’s a full time thing.

Teacher education is rubbish. How are we training our teachers to become teachers? We are having monkey teachers now producing monkey children in the primary and secondary schools. What do you expect in the undergraduate system? If our teacher education is good, which I know we can have, educational decadence will be a thing of past.

In those days, they used to give all the teachers scholarships. Come to JAMB now, there are two programmes that are least subscribed to: Agriculture is the worst. Nobody wants to study it, yet, everybody wants to eat. Nobody wants to study Education, yet, everybody wants to be taught. Let’s see how we can prepare good teachers. If they know that by the time they finish, they will be good materials or when they get into institutions of training, they will receive good training, possibly, we are going to have good materials.

Advice to the Federal Government

The Federal Government should continue to help JAMB. We are calling on individuals who have the ability, to go and establish Computer Based Testing centers. E-testing is the one that is free of exam malpractice. You cannot impersonate. You cannot giraffe or bring in prepared answers. When it is Computer Based Test, if the candidates like, let them bring in their telephones and textbooks. They can’t know the questions that will come for them. Even I cannot know, because we have 15 million questions in each subject. You must be a genius. This year, 100, 000 did Computer Based Testing and all of them got their results. No result was cancelled, no impersonation, no missing results. I’m not saying all of them scored 200 and above, but about 80 percent of them scored did.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nuel01(m): 8:05am On Sep 18, 2013

Advice to students

They cannot cheat to be winners. Students should not cheat. Be prepared. Don’t go late to examination hall. Don’t go into bad companies. Students should make use of the best their parents have given to them, instead of looking for shortcuts. It’s a pity to say that Nigeria is not the only country in this type of system. I just came back from Tanzania, woes upon woes. It’s everywhere because the competition is stiffer.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by odizeey(m): 8:07am On Sep 18, 2013
Nuel baba thnks for d info
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Metaphycist(m): 8:10am On Sep 18, 2013
Mexyz: @metaphycist, i gat ur point bro,same wit odizeey's. Jst dat its so annoyn d way fellow Nigerians acts as kill joy to those of us clamouring 4 change.
I am nt blind 2 these facts. Bro,der z an advert I used 2 watch n towards d end,it says "an HIV free generation is possible,it begins wit u"
Ponder on it.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 8:23am On Sep 18, 2013
Two bottles Of maltina this morning...wetin sef...I wan kill myself...anyway...una Good Morning 0...
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by odizeey(m): 8:29am On Sep 18, 2013
Metaphycist: I am nt blind 2 these facts. Bro,der z an advert I used 2 watch n towards d end,it says "an HIV free generation is possible,it begins wit u"
Ponder on it.
guy all dose hiv free na story,do u think that hiv is ordinary,no think am o,na devil work. My question now is wat hv u done
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by odizeey(m): 8:30am On Sep 18, 2013
exPLIcit7: Two bottles Of maltina this morning...wetin sef...I wan kill myself...anyway...una Good Morning 0...
gu morning man
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by MrRomantic1(m): 8:38am On Sep 18, 2013
@nuel,dts d bitter truth o
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 18, 2013
odizeey: baba i dnt knw o,i just weak

₪ǻ waaa
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 8:44am On Sep 18, 2013
Dibu is a baa-stard. #dahzall
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by MrRomantic1(m): 8:45am On Sep 18, 2013
exPLIcit7: Two bottles Of maltina this morning...wetin sef...I wan kill myself...anyway...una Good Morning 0...

long-thr. . .lipsrsealed
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by odizeey(m): 8:45am On Sep 18, 2013
Monsieursuave:

₪ǻ waaa
yaba tech thread con dey gt levels pass we thread
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by odizeey(m): 8:47am On Sep 18, 2013
Monsieursuave: Dibu is a baa-stard. #dahzall
y u talk so
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by MrRomantic1(m): 8:47am On Sep 18, 2013
odizeey: yaba tech thread con dey gt levels pass we thread

Go nd join dem nau!
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 18, 2013
MrRomantic1:

long-thr. . .lipsrsealed
That one na small 0ne...I Neva even start...more z coming

(1) (2) (3) ... (893) (894) (895) (896) (897) (898) (899) ... (1885) (Reply)

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE / The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.