Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,562 members, 7,770,461 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:54 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1801964 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (902) (Reply) (Go Down)

The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:45pm On Sep 15, 2012
HI.

I am a final year med student of UNILORIN. I opened this thread cos I noticed there isn't any that is specially for medical students, and I believe this is an opportunity for all docs in the making to meet, chat, share experiences, ask questions, and even make new friends!

Jambitos who wish to study medicine are also welcome...

So, let the clerking and presentation begin!!!!

First off,

Materials For Medical Students, culled from http://www.eduregard.com.ng

[PDF]Textbook Of Medical Biochemistry By Vasudervan Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdftextbook-medical-biochemistry-vasudervan/

[PDF]Illustrated Biochemistry By H.A Harper’s Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdfillustrated-biochemistry-h-harpers-free-download/

[PDF]Essential Physiology By Sembulingam >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdfessential-physiology-sembulingam/

[PDF]Textbook Of Medical Physiology By Gyton And Hall Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdftextbook-medical-physiology-gyton-hall-free-download/

[PDF]Review Of Medical Physiology By William F. Ganong Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdfreview-medical-physiology-william-f-ganong-free-download/

[PDF]Developing Human By Keith Moore Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdfdeveloping-human-keith-moore-free-download/

[PDF]Langman Medical Embryology By T.W. Sadler Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdflangman-medical-embryology-t-w-sadler-free-download/

[PDF]Textbook Of Human Histology By Inderbir Singh Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdftextbook-human-histology-inderbir-singh-free-download/

[PDF]Basic Histology – Text & Atlas By Luiz Junquiera Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/basic-histology-text-atlas-luiz-junquiera/

[PDF]Functional Histology By B. Young & J.W. Heaters Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/functional-histology-b-young-j-w/

[PDF] Atlas Of Human Anatomy By Frank Netter Free Download – 5th & 6th Edition >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdf-atlas-human-anatomy-frank-netter-free-download/

[PDF]Last Of Human Anatomy – Chummy Sinnatamby Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdflast-human-anatomy-chummy-sinnatamby-free-download/

[PDF] Cunninghams Dissection Manual >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdf-cunninghams-dissection-manual/

[PDF]Clinical Anatomy – Richard S. Snell Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdfclinically-anatomy-richard-s-snell-free-download/

[PDF]Clinically Oriented Anatomy – Keith Moore Free Download >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/pdfclinically-oriented-anatomy-keith-moore-free-download/

Oxford Medical Dictionary - Android Application >>> http://eduregard.com.ng/library/oxford-medical-dictionary-android-application/

89 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by wazzidon: 7:34am On Sep 16, 2012
Hi, am a 3rd year Medical student of UNN.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 8:26am On Sep 16, 2012
I ave bin luking 4 ward to diz thread.By d grace of God,when unilag resumes by november 2012,i wil be resuming wit dem as a medical student(fresher).IS MBBS 6 yrs or 7 yrs.afta diz yrs wats d nxt step 2 take coz i want 2 go 2 d surgeon part

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by goodman3(m): 11:08am On Sep 16, 2012
R

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:10am On Sep 16, 2012
aliandro: I ave bin luking 4 ward to diz thread.By d grace of God,when unilag resumes by november 2012,i wil be resuming wit dem as a medical student(fresher).IS MBBS 6 yrs or 7 yrs.afta diz yrs wats d nxt step 2 take coz i want 2 go 2 d surgeon part

WELCOME TO DA CLUB!!!!! I promise u will hav an unforgettable experience as u start ur journey....

Since u r a fresher, u will resume 100L studying the basic sciences I.e physics, chemistry and biology, maybe maths (we don't do maths in unilorin). Then u spend the next two years (the preclinical years) studying the basic medical sciences I.e anatomy, physiology and biochenistry. In unilorin, we also do a bit of behavioural sciences, microbiology, epidemiology and a WHO program called COBES.

Now, when u get to 400L, you will do harder basic sciences: pathology and pharmacology, but u will also be introduced to the clinical sciences: medicine surgery, paediatrics and obstetrics and gynaecology. Finally in your last two years, yow will deal with only clinical sciences, including the surgical specialties, community health and psychiatry. Making a total of 6yrs.

After graduation, u will be pre-registered into the MDCN (medical and dental council of nigeria) and start your housemanship for one full year (don't worry, u will be paid salary), then you will go for service, but be preparing to write your primaries exam, in order for u to specialize in your place of interest I.e surgery, am I correct

Well, that's that for now...

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:12am On Sep 16, 2012
Jeffbaba: Hi am a medical student in ESUT....i'll resume with them in november! I'm looking foward to the experience. @op pls hint us on what to expect as medical students. @wazzidon what are the challenges ure facing as a medical student?

Refer to my post above, thanx!

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:12am On Sep 16, 2012
wazzidon: Hi, am a 3rd year Medical student of UNN.

Welcome, what's the experience like??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 6:08pm On Sep 16, 2012
Hi....by Jehovah's undeserved kindness i will be a 300L EBSU medical student cos am about writing my last exam in 200L

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 9:43pm On Sep 16, 2012
Sir,wat do u mean by primaries.can u pls list sum of d txt buks u usd 4rm leve 1 to 6.is c.g.p.a or percentage usd in grading mbbs students.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by obuksjr(m): 9:59pm On Sep 16, 2012
wazzidon: Hi, am a 3rd year Medical student of UNN.
Pls,I was just admitted into UNN Medical college via DE,I want u to recommend the text u guys are using in Anatomy,Physiology and Biochemistry, so that I can get them over here before comming down. Pls send me your number because I want to make some enquiries from you,thanks.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:21pm On Sep 16, 2012
ebsuguy: Hi....by Jehovah's undeserved kindness i will be a 300L EBSU medical student cos am about writing my last exam in 200L

Congrats bro, how was it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:38pm On Sep 16, 2012
aliandro: Sir,wat do u mean by primaries.can u pls list sum of d txt buks u usd 4rm leve 1 to 6.is c.g.p.a or percentage usd in grading mbbs students.

Primaries mean the exam u take that leads to the specialty of ur choice. It is usually written after housejob or service, and depends on the specialty of interest...

CGPA is NOT used in medical school, we use progressive assessment (PA) which is like a percentage, in unilorin, u must make PA of 50% in all subjects before u can be promoted.

Textbooks are numerous, however, these are the few I can give u..

200L and 300L: anatomy
Clinically oriented anatomy by keith moore
Embryology by TM sadler
Basic histology (can't remember the author's name)

Physiology
Review of medical physiology by WF gannong
OR
Physiology by guyton and hull

Biochemistry
Harper's illustrated biochemistry

400L
Pathology
Robbins pathologic basis of disease
(U can also buy textbooks in haematology, microbiology and chemical pathology)

Pharmacology
Lippincott's pharmacology
OR
Katzung's pharmacology

500 and 600L
Paediatrics
Nelson's textbook of paediatrics
OR
Paediatrics by azubike (nigerian author)

Obstetrics and gynaecology
The ten teachers O & G
OR
Textbook of O & G by agoola (nigerian author)

Medicine
Medicine by kumar and clark
Hutchinson's clinical methods (for clerking patients)

Surgery
Bailey and love short practice of surgery
Churchill's pocket textbook of surgery (for exam stuff)
Norman browse surgical methods (for clerking patients)

NB: these books are TERRIBLY expensive, so when u get them, guard them with ur life!!!!!

CHEERS!!

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by obuksjr(m): 2:13am On Sep 17, 2012
@Lagusta,Distinction is on my mind,any tip from you on Physio,Anat & Bch?.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jayone15(m): 3:42am On Sep 17, 2012

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 7:20am On Sep 17, 2012
@lagusta...u knw how it is....about writing my second progressive assessment for 2nd MBBS....God help me.....is not easy o...battling with charausia,keith moore.jaypee,sadler,indierberhsen and guyton/ezeilo

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Danyl(m): 7:44am On Sep 17, 2012
great docs in the house, am already a graduate in botany but am willing to go back to school for Medicine, and i will like to study at OAU or Uni Ibadan, pls can someone tell me which one is the cheapest among the two in terms of the school tuition fee and when their direct entry form normally come out cos am highly interested in getting back to it thank you.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:03am On Sep 17, 2012
obuksjr: @Lagusta,Distinction is on my mind,any tip from you on Physio,Anat & Bch?.

Hmmm, distinction abi?? Well, God help u shaa...

Just read well, attend practicals and read some more, then let God guide u thru the way....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:08am On Sep 17, 2012
jayone15: Gr8 docs in d house,i greet u.I'm a boy wu has aspired/worked towards being a doc in my life,dis is my 1st tym of writn jamb & ryt now evryfin has gone down d drain,i chose oau dental surgery,i didn't meet d cutoff,ryt now i've been given anatomy in anoda skul.buh because of d passion of being a dr in me,i decided not 2 accept d offer buh my counsellor said i should accept it & prepare 4 jamb nxt yr since he knows my academic ability,buh dis tym 2 read lyk a mad dog,i am just a boy of 14,pls i need ur advice!

Guy, you want to reject that offer on a platter of gold, given the 9ja situation of things....

Well, I don't blame u, u r still a kid. But, at 14 u enta 4 anatomy, u graduate at 17, u serve @ 18, then u go for direct entry into medicine at 19, dosent that make sense to u

I strongly advice u go for the anatomy, no need to write jamb again, read well, make first class or 2.1, then enta med thru DE. Shikena

TAKIA!!!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:09am On Sep 17, 2012
ebsuguy: @lagusta...u knw how it is....about writing my second progressive assessment for 2nd MBBS....God help me.....is not easy o...battling with charausia,keith moore.jaypee,sadler,indierberhsen and guyton/ezeilo

LOL, I kno it isn't easy, God will see u thru.... But who is ezeilo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:12am On Sep 17, 2012
Danyl: great docs in the house, am already a graduate in botany but am willing to go back to school for Medicine, and i will like to study at OAU or Uni Ibadan, pls can someone tell me which one is the cheapest among the two in terms of the school tuition fee and when their direct entry form normally come out cos am highly interested in getting back to it thank you.

Hmmm, don't kno about that, but here in ilorin, freshers pay about 33000 or so, stalites pay about 23000. So, make a rough estimate out of that...

Any medic from these schls are in a better position to answer your question, thanx.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 9:00am On Sep 17, 2012
@lagusta....late.prof ezeilo...the former hod of physiology in my school is an author of 'textbook of physiology'....the book is sold by oxford so is well known

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kadata(m): 2:31pm On Sep 17, 2012
*peeps inside*

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 3:02pm On Sep 17, 2012
ebsuguy: @lagusta....late.prof ezeilo...the former hod of physiology in my school is an author of 'textbook of physiology'....the book is sold by oxford so is well known

Hmmm, now that's something...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 3:02pm On Sep 17, 2012
Kadata: *peeps inside*

Got anything to say?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by obuksjr(m): 3:36pm On Sep 17, 2012
Danyl: great docs in the house, am already a graduate in botany but am willing to go back to school for Medicine, and i will like to study at OAU or Uni Ibadan, pls can someone tell me which one is the cheapest among the two in terms of the school tuition fee and when their direct entry form normally come out cos am highly interested in getting back to it thank you.
You should be prepared to purchase JAMB DE form sometime May/June 2013,then you will now follow up with school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by obuksjr(m): 3:37pm On Sep 17, 2012
You should be prepared to purchase JAMB DE form sometime May/June 2013,then you will now follow up with the school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kadata(m): 8:33pm On Sep 17, 2012
Lagusta:

Got anything to say?

*smiles*

A medic will always have something to say - if not to ask. I like the idea behind creating a thread like this for medical students across Nigeria to share ideas, experiences, secrets and thoughts about the future. Medical schooling in Nigeria is quite challenging - from the entry to the "remaining" to the graduating sef - all na fight. Let's hope the thread doesn't follow the pathway of its predecessors by being lost among the admission jumble around this section.
Btw - I'm Ema. University Of Uyo (400L)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:39pm On Sep 17, 2012
Kadata:

*smiles*

A medic will always have something to say - if not to ask. I like the idea behind creating a thread like this for medical students across Nigeria to share ideas, experiences, secrets and thoughts about the future. Medical schooling in Nigeria is quite challenging - from the entry to the "remaining" to the graduating sef - all na fight. Let's hope the thread doesn't follow the pathway of its predecessors by being lost among the admission jumble around this section.
Btw - I'm Ema. University Of Uyo (400L)

Welcome, but wait, are u trying to say that a thread has been created before for medical students, I couldn't find any..... And if there was, mods would've closed this thread.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by goodman3(m): 10:04pm On Sep 17, 2012
Chai!!! To get into medical school is not easy oo! Its sooo difficult. Infact we are so so lucky. I thank god i have gotten in at last sha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:13pm On Sep 17, 2012
Jeffbaba: Chai!!! To get into medical school is not easy oo! Its sooo difficult. Infact we are so so lucky. I thank god i have gotten in at last sha

Congrats boss, just be diligent, read well and pray... #shikena #lobatan #gbam

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 10:28pm On Sep 17, 2012
pls if u will be in 300 next academic session...pls indicate lets share ideas and see the differences and similarities between our schools,lecturers etc

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 2:36pm On Sep 18, 2012
ebsuguy: pls if u will be in 300 next academic session...pls indicate lets share ideas and see the differences and similarities between our schools,lecturers etc

Ok

5 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (902) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.