Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,473 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Carpool In Lagos - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Carpool In Lagos (2916 Views)

Going Green, Would You Carpool? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Carpool In Lagos by CNN80: 12:09pm On Jan 16, 2013
I'm looking for someone based in Festac who is interested in carpooling with me. You need to be working in or around Victoria Island. I leave the house at about 5:30 am and leave the office between 5 and 6 pm.
I'm just looking for ways to reduce the stress of driving and also the cost of fuel.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by CNN80: 11:51am On Jan 22, 2013
Bump
Re: Carpool In Lagos by coogar: 1:15am On Jan 23, 2013
CNN80: I'm looking for someone based in Festac who is interested in carpooling with me. You need to be working in or around Victoria Island. I leave the house at about 5:30 am and leave the office between 5 and 6 pm.
I'm just looking for ways to reduce the stress of driving and also the cost of fuel.

can carpooling work in nigeria with the general disgusting attitude of most drivers? let me ask you this question - if your passenger sleeps all through the return trip till he gets home - would you feel offended?
Re: Carpool In Lagos by CNN80: 11:28am On Jan 23, 2013
If im like sef, make im enter coma grin. He just needs to be awake when it is his turn to drive. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Carpool In Lagos by Gambrosia: 1:19pm On Jan 23, 2013
What a life.
I can't imagine doing such 5 days a week! What time will you get home then?
OP pele o! kiss
Re: Carpool In Lagos by coogar: 4:02pm On Jan 23, 2013
CNN80: If im like sef, make im enter coma grin. He just needs to be awake when it is his turn to drive. cheesy

and what if he/she does not know how to drive?
Re: Carpool In Lagos by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 23, 2013
coogar:

and what if he/she does not know how to drive?
Won't the aim be defeated if the person can't drive or doesn't own a car?
Stop asking stup1d questions! tongue
Re: Carpool In Lagos by coogar: 4:19pm On Jan 23, 2013
Ujujoan:
Won't the aim be defeated if the person can't drive or doesn't own a car?
Stop asking stup1d questions! tongue

you don't even know the meaning of carpooling.....it's not because of fatigue. buying fuel, maintaining the car and toll plazas are also included. i have never even heard of the fatigue excuse before cos it's lame. the driver and the passenger all get the fatigue in lagos. so my dear, you are the only silly person on this thread. never mind though, i am sure by the time we get to page 2, someone else would beat your record.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by SisiKill1: 4:26pm On Jan 23, 2013
If it takes 4hrs to drive to work and 4hrs to get back (exaggerating of course)

Won't it be easier...less tiring if two people (4hrs each) did the driving than one person driving the entire 8hrs?

Re: Gas - If A drives her car this week and B drives hers next week. . .won't it also save gas and decrease the wear and tear on the cars?
Re: Carpool In Lagos by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jan 23, 2013
coogar:

you don't even know the meaning of carpooling.....it's not because of fatigue. buying fuel, maintaining the car and toll plazas are also included. i have never even heard of the fatigue excuse before cos it's lame. the driver and the passenger all get the fatigue in lagos. so my dear, you are the only silly person on this thread. never mind though, i am sure by the time we get to page 2, someone else would beat your record.

Your f00lishness amazes me!
Didn't the OP mention reducing the cost of fuel
So carpooling doesn't also save a car from wear and tear
If he uses his car one week and the other guy uses his the next, isn't that an added advantage
You be real ode!
Re: Carpool In Lagos by SisiKill1: 4:30pm On Jan 23, 2013
From Wikipedia
Carpooling (also known as car-sharing, ride-sharing, lift-sharing and covoiturage), is the sharing of car journeys so that more than one person travels in a car.

By having more people using one vehicle, carpooling reduces each person's travel costs such as fuel costs, tolls, and the stress of driving.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 23, 2013
Sisi_Kill: If it takes 4hrs to drive to work and 4hrs to get back (exaggerating of course)

Won't it be easier...less tiring if two people (4hrs each) did the driving than one person driving the entire 8hrs?

Re: Gas - If A drives her car this week and B drives hers next week. . .won't it also save gas and decrease the wear and tear on the cars?

Please help me explain it to that reaaaaly slooooooooow coogar!
Re: Carpool In Lagos by SisiKill1: 4:32pm On Jan 23, 2013
[b]Carpooling Benefits

The benefits of carpooling are many, but some that are most often reported include:

Savings — in some cases dramatic — on commute costs

Less wear and tear on your vehicle

Less stressful commute/less driving

Reducing traffic congestion and fuel consumption
[/b]
Helping to keep the air clean

Unexpected benefits like making new friends and keeping more consistent work hours
Re: Carpool In Lagos by coogar: 4:33pm On Jan 23, 2013
Sisi_Kill: If it takes 4hrs to drive to work and 4hrs to get back (exaggerating of course)

it won't be less tiring as long as the A and B are in the car.
why are people acting like they don't know the stress of driving in lagos? whether i drive or not, i feel wasted in those lagos traffic. the stress levels are the same. sometimes, the passengers even get more wasted than the driver.

Sisi_Kill: [b]Carpooling Benefits

The benefits of carpooling are many, but some that are most often reported include:

Savings — in some cases dramatic — on commute costs

Less wear and tear on your vehicle

Less stressful commute/less driving

Reducing traffic congestion and fuel consumption

Helping to keep the air clean

Unexpected benefits like making new friends and keeping more consistent work hours

in other words, people who don't have cars or people who don't drive do not carpool? seriously?

Ujujoan:
Please help me explain it to that reaaaaly slooooooooow coogar!

hehehehehe - i trust you to hide behind your power-mike but she's not making any sense. carpooling has less to do with fatigue. it's the cost of maintaining the car that is the most important feature.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 23, 2013
coogar:

why are people acting like they don't know the stress of driving in lagos? whether i drive or not, i feel wasted in those lagos traffic. the stress levels are the same. sometimes, the passengers even get more wasted than the driver.
and your point . . . . undecided
Re: Carpool In Lagos by SisiKill1: 4:36pm On Jan 23, 2013
coogar:

So the person sitting in the passengers seat, filing their nails or reading the latest John Grisham thriller goes through the same stress as the person doing all the pressing on the breaks, shifting the gears, doing the turning and steering of the wheels and the glancing back and forth, left and right, being alert at all times?

I see.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 23, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

So the person sitting in the passengers seat, filing their nails or reading the latest John Grisham thriller goes through the same stress as the person doing all the pressing on the breaks, shifting the gears, doing the turning and steering of the wheels and the glancing back and forth, left and right, being alert at all times?

I see.
LMAO grin grin grin
Re: Carpool In Lagos by coogar: 4:38pm On Jan 23, 2013
Ujujoan:
and your point . . . . undecided

my point is - staying in a car for long hours is the reason people are tired, nothing to do with who actually drives.
whether you drive or not, provided you are in the car - your fatigue levels would heighten. this is common sense and a bit of biology. you have shown you have none of these.

Sisi_Kill:

I see.

very well!
in a long ride, she's the one having nothing to do, she's the one bored, she's going to get tired even more than the dude who has something to do.
stand for 3 hrs without doing anything and let another person stand using his computer or tablet. let us know who would get tired first.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 23, 2013
coogar:

my point is - staying in a car for long hours is the reason people are tired, nothing to do with who actually drives.
whether you drive or not, provided you are in the car - your fatigue levels would heighten. this is common sense and a bit of biology. you have shown you have none of these.

And you have shown the 'great sense' you have by insinuation a driver and a passenger are going through the SAME stress level . . . shocked shocked
Can the 'heightened' stress level of the passenger be compared to the actual riled-up-by-driving-through-the-crazy-Lagos-traffic stress level of the actual driver
Honestly, I never knew they still come this slow! undecided
Re: Carpool In Lagos by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 23, 2013
coogar:

very well!
in a long ride, she's the one having nothing to do, she's the one bored, she's going to get tired even more than the dude who has something to do.
stand for 3 hrs without doing anything and let another person stand using his computer or tablet. let us know who would get tired first.

He's not 'using a computer' . . . he controlling the steering through a packed traffic, holding breaks, changing gears and sweating in the heat through it all (assuming there's no AC).
My 10 month old understands that! undecided
Re: Carpool In Lagos by coogar: 4:47pm On Jan 23, 2013
Ujujoan:

And you have shown the 'great sense' you have by insinuation a driver and a passenger are going through the SAME stress level . . . shocked shocked
Can the 'heightened' stress level of the passenger be compared to the actual riled-up-by-driving-through-the-crazy-Lagos-traffic stress level of the actual driver
Honestly, I never knew they still come this slow! undecided

it's the same, you bellend!
the primary reason people carpool is because of the cost of maintenance - not cos of fatigue. which yeye fatigue? why do plane passengers get wasted after a long flight? na una pilot the plane or what the heck are you guys on about?

Ujujoan:
He's not 'using a computer' . . . he controlling the steering through a packed traffic, holding breaks, changing gears and sweating in the heat through it all (assuming there's no AC).
My 10 month old understands that! undecided

not everyone drives am oil-tanker to work, madam ujujoan!
all he requires is mental alertness. he's not doing anything over physical. the steering is powered. the gear stays automatic.
sweating in the heat applies to every passenger in the car as well. you are not making any sense abeg.

Are carpoolers supposed to take turns driving?

They can, but it’s not a requirement. In fact, a carpool may include people who will not drive at all. In these cases the “riders” should plan to pay the driver an agreed-upon amount to help out with driving costs. (See below for tips on determining a fair cost for non-drivers.)
If a carpool does switch drivers, this can be done on a daily basis, a weekly basis or longer, depending on the carpoolers’ preferences. This may change over time as new people join the carpool.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by SisiKill1: 5:13pm On Jan 23, 2013
I'm not sure I understand what the debate is about anymore.

OP finds driving to the Island from Festac everyday very stressful, she is looking for someone(s) who makes the same trip to relieve the stress, share the cost and reduce the wear & tear on her car.

The REDUCE THE STRESS OF DRIVING automatically say non-drivers need not apply. If she wanted a companion in the car while she does all the driving, I bet there are talking dolls she can buy.

'Sides, I don't think the requirements for carpooling are set in stone, the brains behind the idea understand people are different with different needs and stress threshold. . .so while the I do all the driving and you sit there doing nothing but sharing my stress through osmosis route might work for some, it doesn't necessarily mean it will work for all.

1 Like

Re: Carpool In Lagos by coogar: 5:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
Sisi_Kill: I'm not sure I understand what the debate is about anymore.

OP finds driving to the Island from Festac everyday very stressful, she is looking for someone(s) who makes the same trip to relieve the stress, share the cost and reduce the wear & tear on her car.

The REDUCE THE STRESS OF DRIVING automatically say non-drivers need not apply. If she wanted a companion in the car while she does all the driving, I bet there are talking dolls she can buy.

'Sides, I don't think the requirements for carpooling are set in stone, the brains behind the idea understand people are different with different needs and stress threshold. . .so while the I do all the driving and you sit there doing nothing but sharing my stress through osmosis route might work for some, it doesn't necessarily mean it will work for all.

and i am saying the reduction of stress is a moot point provided both of them are in the car. the primary motivation is the cost of fuel and the other maintenance of the car. who does not get tired in the car after a long ride? both the driver and his passengers all get spent. i dunno about others - but whether i drive or i don't drive, the fatigue level is the same for me. being held down in one position(sitting) for long hours would heighten fatigue for anyone.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by dayokanu(m): 5:38pm On Jan 23, 2013
Jesusu Christ of Mbaise.

Why dont you 3 just get a room and do whatever you need to do.

OP. Are you sure you want to risk it? Must the person have a car or can they be driving yours everyday?

@sisikill typical hours spent in traffic in Nigeria from Festac to VI can be from 5-8hrs

Wake up by 5am get to work by 7:30 8am thats 3hours.

If you leave VI by 6 you cant reach FESTAC till 10 and If on Redeemed camp days it can be like 11pm or 12 midnight

Lagos traffic is demonic
Re: Carpool In Lagos by SisiKill1: 5:40pm On Jan 23, 2013
coogar:

and i am saying the reduction of stress is a moot point provided both of them are in the car. the primary motivation is the cost of fuel and the other maintenance of the car. who does not get tired in the car after a long ride? both the driver and his passengers all get spent. i dunno about others - but whether i drive or i don't drive, the fatigue level is the same for me. being held down in one position(sitting) for long hours would heighten fatigue for anyone.

Thank you for that.

Case Closed!!
Re: Carpool In Lagos by SisiKill1: 5:46pm On Jan 23, 2013
dayokanu: Jesusu Christ of Mbaise.

Why dont you 3 just get a room and do whatever you need to do.

Oh! You proposing a mene. . .mono...mini....errr. . .a thr33some?

Hubba hubba!! Oh la! la! It is soo up. . .I mean on!!

OP. Are you sure you want to risk it? Must the person have a car or can they be driving yours everyday?

@sisikill typical hours spent in traffic in Nigeria from Festac to VI can be from 5-8hrs

Wake up by 5am get to work by 7:30 8am thats 3hours.

If you leave VI by 6 you cant reach FESTAC till 10 and If on Redeemed camp days it can be like 11pm or 12 midnight

Lagos traffic is demonic

And having someone else help with the driving won't reduce the stress?!!
Re: Carpool In Lagos by dayokanu(m): 5:49pm On Jan 23, 2013
Sisi_Kill: And having someone else help with the driving won't reduce the stress?!!

It would definitely help especially if its a guy and a single lady.

All those traffic time can be spent in a hotel for short time between 6-8pm when the traffic would have eased and you can drive home easily
Re: Carpool In Lagos by coogar: 6:11pm On Jan 23, 2013
Sisi_Kill:
And having someone else help with the driving won't reduce the stress?!!

sisi, those hours are too long to make any significant difference. the op would sleep, wake up and they would still be stuck in traffic! some people abandon their cars, hop on okada and tell their driver to meet them at home.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by CNN80: 11:42pm On Jan 23, 2013
Haba, see long argument over simple request. And this is the first time I'm hearing that being a passenger is a tiring as being a driver. You learn something new everyday.
As for the requirements, I need someone who can drive and has his own car (with A/C). I want my poor car to rest.

By the way, as long as I leave the house before 6 am ( 5:30 to 5:45), it usually takes less than an hour to get to work. Coming back is the problem as that can take as much as 2 hours.
Re: Carpool In Lagos by Nobody: 2:05am On Jan 24, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy Tell dem threèsome OP ... ha ha!

Ye shall find what you seek cheesy
Re: Carpool In Lagos by dammydee01: 6:22pm On Sep 02, 2015
We recently launched a platform for carpooling/ridesharing across the country. Do check it out- gomyway.com
Re: Carpool In Lagos by ugreat(m): 2:17pm On Jan 08, 2021
dammydee01:
We recently launched a platform for carpooling/ridesharing across the country. Do check it out- gomyway.com

Still working?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Were Should She Dry Her Pants / Should I Prove It To Her / Only A Mother Could Indeed Tolerate These

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.