Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,598 members, 7,820,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates (17624 Views)

BREAKING: Corpers Are To Report To Their LG For Headcount Nationwide / NYSC Director General Threatens To Shut Down Kwara State Orientation Camp / NYSC To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by AK481(m): 10:27am On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva: What do they mean by deficient graduates? Is it only those that cannot speak good english
No,an engineering student who cannot teach futhermaths,physics or pure maths to ss1,ss2,or ss3 is also deficient,even if he/she speaks and write like the queen.

Above all,every graduate should be able to speak fair english even if u read yoruba or maths.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by kongalomo(m): 10:33am On Jan 19, 2013
Ikwere fist son: wat of ibadan poly ogun state uni nd poly kwara state uni nd poly,zamfara poly,yobe poly,gombe state uni,imsu,akwa ibom state poly,etc
Ikwere! You are a daft man , so stupid. Why u go mention ma school (kwara st univ) . A university that is even yet to produce graduates.......... E tall for your body and FYI self pass mark at Kwara state Univ is at 45marks i.e no Grade E. Plus all lectureres that works here have a minimum of 2.1 smiley

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by ronnyfam(f): 10:34am On Jan 19, 2013
That is the reason why most organisations do an aptitute test before they employ,I see them a lot in the banking industry,when you see a customers walk into your banking hall and they can't write a simple letter on their request,its been a long time that I know their is a problem in this country,we see it all around us,from the top to the bottom,see our so call senators and Governors.
I had a friend from the north that lives in spain and his people called him to come and join politics ,I asked him what qualification he had,his response was you this we are like you westerner that have all the certificates before getting to the top,he told me they are here to rule,imagine. Shame
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by maybel(m): 10:37am On Jan 19, 2013
mdsocks: Eksu should top the list i guess. After producing graduates who couldn't fit into common primary schools but a bakery, a bakery my God.
Where did u school or are u schooling? I Know u're not informed but let me tell u that some of those schools u think are d best like UI,OAU,ABU,MAULAG etc produce some of these graduates u talk about. I served in Imo state and I still remember a lady who finished 4rm OAU once asked me to help her write a letter to our principal. I tried to describe how she could that but she insisted i write it for her. I also met a lady in my master class who finished frm d same OAU and to me, she didnt deserve d grade she graduated with. If u want to name universities may be u should start from d university i've just mentioned but u wud be wrong if u do that 'cos it still remains one of the best schools in Nigeria. U people dont want to believe dat the problem we're facing in dis sector is a general one. It is time u believed this.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by fittty(m): 10:38am On Jan 19, 2013
pro01:

What is your point? In Nigeria, the official language is English, which means that EVERY graduate - regardless of how "productive" he or she purports to be - is expected to be fluent in the language. Is that not why English is a COMPULSORY subject for ALL courses in tertiary institutions?

Having gone through primary, secondary, and tertiary education, what excuse does one have not to be fluent in the language in which he or she acquired all their education? This also applies to the Chinese people you alluded to. They don't need to speak English to be productive because they are did not learn their productivity in English. It's as simple as that.

How do I ascertain your "productivity" when you cannot even communicate effectively in YOUR own language? Yes, English is our language, NOT a "foreign tongue". I'm sure no one in Nigeria receives formal education in their native language.

If you're a "productive" engineer, how did you read and assimilate the engineering textbooks (written in English) in school? How did you pass your exams? How do you study manuals?

Let's stop making excuses for dullards abeg!

#GBAM...... God bless you!..... End of discussion
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by babsdeen(m): 10:38am On Jan 19, 2013
I believe this problem has a lot to do with our encouragement of CORRUPTION(nigeria's watchword).Rather than address this issue in infant but we display nonchallant attitudes towards it. Lecturers make students pay inorder to get good grades without stress. Male lecturers enjoy sexual pleasure with female students inorder to score straight A in their courses.It is said that few of the so-called "strict" institutions withdraw students that fail to attain d cut-off G.P(1.5) after their first year examination result,but,some of the affected students still manage to cross.HOW DID THEY DO IT? LONG LEG RUNS IS THE ANSWER.So why blame the helped after they floped at d big stage,have you forgotten their HELPERS?
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by iwanchop(m): 10:39am On Jan 19, 2013
fittty: Poly graduates take note! angry

Can you confidently come out to say you are better than all the graduates produced by polytechnic s?If your answer is "no" then u deserve an award as d biggest mu.mu in the world

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Richy4(m): 10:40am On Jan 19, 2013
pDude: ESUT GRADUATES TAKE NOTE grin
I am proud to be a part of that great college bro. That prestigious institution made me part of what I am today. U just have to understand that in every institution, there are slow learners.not only in ESUT

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by webcalculator(m): 10:44am On Jan 19, 2013
Most people from pidgin english states (edo, delta, etc) find it difficult differentiating good english from pidgin english though i know a vast majority that can speak well.
To me, the problem we are having now emanates from secondary schools. it is in secondary school that one is taught how to make simple sentences. You don't learn sentence construction in university, your mind only builds on what you learnt in secondary school.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by iwanchop(m): 10:47am On Jan 19, 2013
The DG only talked about "bad" graduates...he should please talk about the substandard kits given to corp members year in year out or is that the problem of schools too?

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by fittty(m): 10:48am On Jan 19, 2013
iwanchop:

Can you confidently come out to say you are better than all the graduates produced by polytechnic s?If your answer is "no" then u deserve an award as d biggest mu.mu in the world

F*ck off. You obviously are a
polytechnic graduate. Its a consensus that 80% - 90% of polytechnic graduates barely speak fluent english or even write well... I've walked into countless number of polytechnic campuses and all they do speak to themselves is their local dialect plus Bad English. You all are the type that grew up in the ghetto and attended poor public primary and secondary schools.
#WORD

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by jmoore(m): 10:50am On Jan 19, 2013
the so called "deficient graduates" were called up by NYSC to serve.....
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by mascot87(m): 10:57am On Jan 19, 2013
J12: Supported! Only graduates from the TOP TEN universities should be deployed to schools
I think top ten is too small but the top 20 Universities. No university has its best in all aspects but u will find out that some universities for example are good in medicine, another in engineering,another in accountancy,another in pharmacy etc. The best brains should be selected by the NYSC body to teach students both in the primary & secondary schools and this can be done by collaborating with the universities on getting lists of intelligent & well to do academically graduates from each department. Transparency should be the order of the day in such selection and not based on sentiment. We can still get it right I believe
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by alnetizen: 10:57am On Jan 19, 2013
pro01:

What is your point? In Nigeria, the official language is English, which means that EVERY graduate - regardless of how "productive" he or she purports to be - is expected to be fluent in the language. Is that not why English is a COMPULSORY subject for ALL courses in tertiary institutions?

Having gone through primary, secondary, and tertiary education, what excuse does one have not to be fluent in the language in which he or she acquired all their education? This also applies to the Chinese people you alluded to. They don't need to speak English to be productive because they are did not learn their productivity in English. It's as simple as that.

How do I ascertain your "productivity" when you cannot even communicate effectively in YOUR own language? Yes, English is our language, NOT a "foreign tongue". I'm sure no one in Nigeria receives formal education in their native language.

If you're a "productive" engineer, how did you read and assimilate the engineering textbooks (written in English) in school? How did you pass your exams? How do you study manuals?

Let's stop making excuses for dullards abeg!

Excellent! Excellent!! Excellent!!!

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by daylae(m): 10:59am On Jan 19, 2013
High time!!! The scheme should also be an avenue where graduates can be fairly tested before going into the real labour market. . . And should any serving corper be found wanting,it is better to inquire from the person's alma mater and make neccessary investigations and sanctions;for this will deter the teeming undeserving 'graduates' from constituting nuisance to themselves,and just proliferating the already challenging labour market.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 19, 2013
CrazyMan:
So how the hell were they able to graduate in the first place?

Who wrote their projects for them?

Who supervised them?

What language did they use when they defended it?

If a graduate of a higher institution cannot communicate in English, then I feel that institution shouldn't be allowed to exist.

I mean how would you graduate a stark illiterate who would go out and make a mockery of your institution...it makes no sense.

The NYSC boss should report those school...
. U don't understand, most of them read local languages in school. U can wear traditional attire to defend project and also present semin.so use of yoruba, igbo, and hausa to defend project is not out of place. All join o
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by hrhobi1(m): 11:03am On Jan 19, 2013
I don't think this issue has anything to do with our universities, We should check our Primary and secondary school system. You don't learn English in the University .

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Gistben: 11:04am On Jan 19, 2013
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no comment yet.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by CrazyMan(m): 11:05am On Jan 19, 2013
chiover: . U don't understand, most of them read local languages in school. U can wear traditinal attire to defernd project and also present semin.so use of yoruba, igbo, and hausa to defend project is not out of place. All join o
Lmao grin
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by lekkie073(m): 11:10am On Jan 19, 2013
list of schools with high graduate-deficients:
lasu
laspotech
oou(osu)
esut
imt
ibadanpoly
as well as all state polytechnics in the north with the exception of kadpoly and ramatpoly

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by wazobiaforu(m): 11:15am On Jan 19, 2013
often times,the problem is from the Nysc office with the way they send corpers to schools without gettin valuable information from the schools...u can imagine a situation whereby a graduate of masscomm is sent to a school where they only need a physics teacher,d school will hav to reject such a corper and on the issue of spoken english,the fault isn't from the higher institution the student graduated from but from the foundational schools and personal upbring bt dat doesnt determine intelligence....there was a distinction student in my class back then whose english wasnt very gud but he was very brilliant
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 19, 2013
Where did u school or are u schooling? I Know u're not informed but let me tell u that some of those schools u think are d best like UI,OAU,ABU,MAULAG etc produce some of these graduates u talk about. I served in Imo state and I still remember a lady who finished 4rm OAU once asked me to help her write a letter to our principal.[/b] I tried to describe how she could that but she insisted i write it for her. I also met a lady in my master class who finished frm d same OAU and to me, she didnt deserve d grade she graduated with. If u want to name universities may be u should start from d university i've just mentioned but u wud be wrong if u do that 'cos it still remains one of the best schools in Nigeria. U people dont want to believe dat the problem we're facing in dis sector is a general one. It is time u believed this.[/quote]

Mr Oga,Can u pls keep this trash to your self!
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by iwanchop(m): 11:17am On Jan 19, 2013
fittty:

F*ck off. You obviously are a
polytechnic graduate. Its a consensus that 80% - 90% of polytechnic graduates barely speak fluent english or even write well... I've walked into countless number of polytechnic campuses and all they do speak to themselves is their local dialect. (Bad English). You all are the type that grew up in the ghetto and attended poor public primary and secondary schools.
#WORD

I"m a proud graduate of a polytechnic and not long ago finished my B.Eng.I attended both and I can confidently say there re good,fair and poor students in both polytechnic and university.
It is very wrong for u to generalise,that u finished frm a university does not make u better than an average poly graduate.
Don't pretend u didn't c my question,answer it.

5 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 19, 2013
webcalculator:

where i'm serving, the principal is from one of the TOP TEN but he cannot speak without you noticing grammatical errors; his memoranda are never devoid of grammatical blunder.

Which University did he graduate from?
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by fittty(m): 11:23am On Jan 19, 2013
iwanchop:

I"m a proud graduate of a polytechnic and not long ago finished my B.Eng.I attended both and I can confidently say there good,fair and poor students in both polytechnic and university.
It is very wrong for u to generalise,that u finished frm a university does not make u better than a poly graduate.
Don't pretend u didn't c my question,answer it.

Hey Mr. I don't need to argue further. And that's why there's a big difference btw Diploma(HND) graduates and BSC graduates
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by dcitizen1: 11:23am On Jan 19, 2013
The decline in the standard of education was caused by obafemi awolowo after the civil. Bf the civil war, recruitment into the civil was largely based on merit. Nnamdi azikiwe travelled to all countries of the world to shop and select compete hands to run all nigerian ministries and parastatal. The level of productivity and performance were high both in the civil and military sector. But during and after, the civil war, things fell apart and mediocrity replaced meritocricy. free and poor quality education, mass promotion of students to higher levels and diploma in universities were introduced in the western region and most intending candidates were admitted into tertiary institution on awaiting and incomplete result in the western region to produce a high octane number of quack graduates dat would run the ministries. As a result, poor and incompetent graduates by hook or crook were manufactured to run the
ministries and fill the vacuum created by the eastern pple who were far more competent and ingenious and believe strongly in merit and most of the half-baked graduates that are direct beneficiary of the indigenisation policy orchestrated by awolowo ruined the companies acquired becos of sheer management ineptitude and poor policy articulation. The idea of oluwole certificate and creation of half-baked graduate spread from the western region to the north and the east region becos the north and the east decided to measure up too in the game of mediocricy. So, am not surprised if nigerian graduates cannot speak english language fluently, becos of mediocrity mentality of the past and quota system syndrome, the failure of the primary and tertiary education and emphasis on paper qualification. We are on a narrow part to destruction if this ugly trend of mediocrity continue. There is a limit to which an individual or nation flies in the face of providence without destroying himself
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by EmmyDe25(m): 11:27am On Jan 19, 2013
simpleseyi:

Patience Jonathan has a degree from Uniport, her grammar is worse than that of my 3 year old niece.
LWKM... U just gave me tommy ache.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 19, 2013
iwanchop:

What yardstick are u going to use to rate those universities?And who told u graduates who r not from ur so called top 10 ranking are all dullards
?Na wa for ur thinking

I think the NUC has a ranking of the best universities in the country. Only graduates with a 2.2 + from these schools should be allowed to teach in federal schools.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nysc Batchc'14 Anambra Lets Meet Here / Nysc Anthem :download And Lyrics / Top 10 Best States For NYSC In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.