Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,473 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces (9035 Views)

Terrorist Attack In Paris Leaves 40 Dead And 100 Hostages / Algerian Airline Carrying 110 Passengers "Missing" / Video Of French Air Strike In Mali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by IleIfe2(m): 7:14am On Jan 18, 2013
(Reuters) - Thirty-four hostages and 15 of their al Qaeda-linked kidnappers were killed on Thursday in an air strike by the Algerian armed forces, Mauritania's ANI news agency reported, citing one of the kidnappers holding captives at a desert gas field.

The news agency, which has close contact with the group which has claimed responsibility for the mass kidnapping, said the army's attack came as kidnappers were trying to move their hostages in vehicles to a new location.

A local resident confirmed to Reuters that many people were killed after the Algerian military opened fire on the hostage takers' vehicles.

The gunmen, who seized dozens of foreigners and scores of Algerians at the In Amenas gas plant deep in the Sahara desert, have demanded an end to a French military operation against al Qaeda-linked Islamist rebels in neighboring Mali.

ANI said that the spokesman for the kidnappers, speaking by telephone from inside the facility, said their leader Abu al Baraa had been killed in the attack.

The hostage-taker warned that they would kill the rest of their captives if the Algerian army approached, ANI reported.

(Reporting By Laurent Prieur in Nouakchott and John Irish in Paris; Writing by Daniel Flynn; Editing by Jon Boyle

Source
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Aringarosa(m): 7:40am On Jan 18, 2013
This is sad outcome, but the message sent was great, NO DEALS, with terrorist, the quicker they understand there's more rational and diplomatic ways to solutions, the better off the world would be.

1 Like

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Horlawoomey(m): 9:09am On Jan 18, 2013
Air strike is not the best form of operation when engaging terrorist because they always have hostages with them. That is a bad operation from the Algerian forces. . . RIP to the dead. . . . . . MEANWHILE 2ND TO COMMENT AS USUAL.

1 Like

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 18, 2013
I guess collateral damage isn't that 'collateral' anymore. undecided
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Ozonna(m): 9:13am On Jan 18, 2013
Algeria get mind oh. I thought there were Foreign nationals there?

1 Like

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Dee60: 9:15am On Jan 18, 2013
The Algerian Army possibly did not have what it takes to handle such. You always need to identify criminals before shooting. In this case they shot the criminals along with the victims. Poor job!

2 Likes

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by fittty(m): 9:17am On Jan 18, 2013
Dang!

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Demdem(m): 9:18am On Jan 18, 2013
Ozonna: Algeria get mind oh. I thought there were Foreign nationals there?

My thinking also. Its unfortunate those hostages died however i do not forsee any such incidence from foreigners in that country in the nearest future since its now understood that Algeria will simply wipe all of them off be it hostages or hostage takers.
Indeed they dont negotiate with terrorists.

1 Like

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by leslieu63(m): 9:18am On Jan 18, 2013
wow cul
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by dom(m): 9:22am On Jan 18, 2013
the algerians lack the expertise to engage the terrorists. Should have waited for the british who were already making plans to intervene given the fact that many of the hostages were britons. The british prime minister wasn't even informed before the harebrained attempt to rescue.
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Demdem(m): 9:26am On Jan 18, 2013
dom: the algerians lack the expertise to engage the terrorists. Should have waited for the british who were already making plans to intervene given the fact that many of the hostages were britons. The british prime minister wasn't even informed before the harebrained attempt to rescue.

waiting for any of the world powers isnt an assurance that there wont be any causality. Just of recent France failed in a secret mission to rescue one of her officials i think in somalia or so. casualities could have been reduced no doubt but waiting also has its own disadvantage. The more they wait, the more boldened those criminals become and they might even relocate them beyond Algerian borders. its 50-50.

2 Likes

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by anelka101(m): 9:27am On Jan 18, 2013
imagine,oga o..................
Algeria is like south africa where the white that colonize them still stays with them,french ppl colonize algeria and that is why u will see many white there, the muslims there hates the white, there is nothing like going to church on sunday,friday is the general day for worship,muslims goes to mosque and xtian goes to church on fridays.
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 18, 2013
I love this approach. Shoot the f*uck out of them, collateral damage is acceptable.

1 Like

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Saksreal(f): 9:36am On Jan 18, 2013
gboss4sure: I love this approach. Shoot the Bleep out of them, collateral damage is acceptable.
Of course.

Its still acceptable if you or any member of your family is a Victim.

Re.tardeen

1 Like

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by achi4u(m): 9:37am On Jan 18, 2013
OMG! the damage is too much.

RIP all.
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by ofiladee(m): 9:42am On Jan 18, 2013
That's like all the hostages. They should have another alternative, if they said no negiotation. Airstrike... These guys rude sha. RIP
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by thaoriginator: 9:45am On Jan 18, 2013
Kai na which ahuwa dem be sef! Semi-trained I guessed. Abi didn't they knw about dem hostages inna the bus. Dem a bombaclaat soldiers dem a fi shooting sporadically like dem a juvenile inna the job. Badman place! angry

4 Likes

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by thaoriginator: 9:46am On Jan 18, 2013
Kai na which kain ahuwa dem be sef! Semi-trained I guessed. Abi didn't they about dem hostages inna the bus. Dem a bombaclaat soldiers dem a fi shooting sporadically like dem a juvenile inna the job. Badman place! angry

1 Like

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by pappilo(m): 9:50am On Jan 18, 2013
gboss4sure: I love this approach. Shoot the f*uck out of them, collateral damage is acceptable.

Thats where you are wrong. Do you think these kidnappers had any plans to come out alive? They are happy to die! It is even better for them when they take along with them a whole lot of so called 'infidels' who are afraid to die.

Any normal human being would run away from big fights but these guys love it. Why else would rebels in Mali with old Kalashnikovs face the might of the mighty French army? The US has been in Afghanistan since 2011 and they havent succeeded in killing every Taliban. You would expect normal people to run away when it gets too hot but these mofos stay and fight! The French tried to rescue one of their secret agents being held captive in Somalia by Al shabab about 10 days ago. They came with 5 helicpters and enough firpower to level the military cantoment in Ikeja yet these mofo stayed and fight with thir kalshnikovs and killed 2 French commandos and executed the hostage as well.

This cycle of violence/war will continue and I see no end to it until the philosophy which holds one race superior to another is permanently discredited and abandoned. Until the west stop meddling in the affairs of other countries and stops turning brothers on brothers. Until the United Nations scraps the veto power. Until.......

10 Likes

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by pastie(m): 9:51am On Jan 18, 2013
Abu al Baraa had been killed in the attack.

Hmmm.. Nigerian version of Abu Quaqa shockedshockedshockedshocked
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Bambela(m): 9:51am On Jan 18, 2013
Islam is a curse on any land it found itself.

5 Likes

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Wendyslim(f): 9:53am On Jan 18, 2013
Hmmmmmmm na Wah. Rip to all the dead ones
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Wendyslim(f): 9:54am On Jan 18, 2013
Bambela: Islam is a curse on any land it found itself.
. Hope u are not insane? Fooooooool

2 Likes

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:55am On Jan 18, 2013
What a pity. The hostages were nothing but collateral damage in d eyes of the military. I guess Algeria has made it clear that dealing with Terrorists is out of the question in future. Come to think of it, that's d stand of USA too.

1 Like

Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by koolet: 10:05am On Jan 18, 2013
If it was Nigeria they wuld hav compensiated them nd no one wuld hav died..
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by thaoriginator: 10:07am On Jan 18, 2013
Bambela: Islam is a curse on any land it found itself.
goat. Mehhhhhhh!!!cheesy
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by koolet: 10:07am On Jan 18, 2013
Now Wetin cum concern me! last year while 9ja was facing its own tragedy who we see,
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Nacl: 10:09am On Jan 18, 2013
THE CURSE OF ISLAM!
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by stewie(m): 10:18am On Jan 18, 2013
pappilo:

Thats where you are wrong. Do you think these kidnappers had any plans to come out alive? They are happy to die! It is even better for them when they take along with them a whole lot of so called 'infidels' who are afraid to die.

Any normal human being would run away from big fights but these guys love it. Why else would rebels in Mali with old Kalashnikovs face the might of the mighty French army? The US has been in Afghanistan since 2011 and they havent succeeded in killing every Taliban. You would expect normal people to run away when it gets too hot but these mofos stay and fight! The French tried to rescue one of their secret agents being held captive in Somalia by Al shabab about 10 days ago. They came with 5 helicpters and enough firpower to level the military cantoment in Ikeja yet these mofo stayed and fight with thir kalshnikovs and killed 2 French commandos and executed the hostage as well.

This cycle of violence/war will continue and I see no end to it until the philosophy which holds one race superior to another is permanently discredited and abandoned. Until the west stop meddling in the affairs of other countries and stops turning brothers on brothers. Until the United Nations scraps the veto power. Until.......

On point and devoid of nonsense. Well said
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 18, 2013
Demdem:

My thinking also. Its unfortunate those hostages died however i do not forsee any such incidence from foreigners in that country in the nearest future since its now understood that Algeria will simply wipe all of them off be it hostages or hostage takers.
Indeed they dont negotiate with terrorists.

Like Mr. President...
Re: 34 Hostages Killed In Air Strike By Algerian Forces by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 18, 2013
gboss4sure: I love this approach. Shoot the f*uck out of them, collateral damage is acceptable.

Allahu akbar !!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can A Police Officer In Uniform Arrest Another Armed Police Officer In Uniform? / "Chinese Have No Souls" -- The Experience Of A Ghana Man In China / BOMBSHELL! Email Shows Joe Biden Met With Ukrainian Businessman While He Was VP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.