Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? (10034 Views)

The Unspoken Truth: Why Women Hate Each Other So Damn Much / The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. / Why Do Women Generally Want More Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by mushona(f): 7:23pm On Jan 18, 2013
Im married to a Nigerian who in the begining of the relationship assumed I would subscribe to his stupid sexist tendencies!!! but I soon fixed that. BUT as I read through Nairaland and interact with my male in- laws and other Nigerian men at church I begin to realise that that primitive attitude seems to be the norm for Nigerians. Really in this day and age women should not be viewed as possessions or mules. I was very pissed when one of my husbands uncles had a go at me for asking my mother in law to help me find a maid claiming it is my duty to do all the house work. Ive done all my own housework thus far but now wit a new baby due any minute, a child in school a business that I run (which contributes a large chunk to our lifestyle)I dont see why I shouldnt get help. I cant exactly just let my business die so i can sit at home with the baby. please dont answer me wit crap about washing machines, hoovers etc coz i have all that but a washing machine does not load itself and I cant leave the baby with a washing machine.

Anyway back to the point. I really want to understand why men think they are entitled to speak and behave to women as they please?

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jan 18, 2013
no, you are wrong, men are supposed to speak to ladies with a good amount of respect, but softer nd warmer than d way they speak to their fellow men. afterall they are our fellow humans aren't they ?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jan 18, 2013
Not all Nigerian men are inconsiderate sexists smiley
There are good ones. It's just unfortunate that majority of the men you have met are those men that think wife is another word for slave.
Talk to ya hubby and try to let him understand what you need from him.
Anyway the answer to the question in your last paragraph is that religions place men above women (although it doesn't teach them to be inconsiderate arseholes)and that is why a lot of men treat women as inferior beings.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2013
but if am permitted to ask u a question. how abt, are men entitled to speak and behave to women as to please them ?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 18, 2013
maxwello.yg:
no, you are wrong, men are supposed to speak to ladies with a good amount of respect, but softer nd warmer than d way they speak to their fellow men. afterall they are our fellow humans aren't they ?

So this is the reason some men sound so patronising when they talk to women.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by mushona(f): 8:46pm On Jan 18, 2013
fellis: Not all Nigerian men are inconsiderate sexists smiley
There are good ones. It's just unfortunate that majority of the men you have met are those men that think wife is another word for slave.
Talk to ya hubby and try to let him understand what you need from him.
Anyway the answer to the question in your last paragraph is that religions place men above women (although it doesn't teach them to be inconsiderate arseholes)and that is why a lot of men treat women as inferior beings.

I have been able to get my own man to change on this point but his relatives can really annoy me at times. the way some of them expect me to act like a possession grates on my nerves.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 18, 2013
^If you are not constantly in contact with them then you should try to tolerate them to avoid causing any bad blood or trouble.
As long as you and your spouse are happy then no wahala smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 18, 2013
Its d society that indulges their excesses and it starts from the home when the brother adresses or talks to his sister anyhow without d parents cautioning him,it starts from when the girl is made to be washing plates while the brother is sleeping,watching tv or has gone to play football instead of assisting the sister.all this are foundational issues and so many men grow up with this sexist inclination,however i thank God my mom did not allow such nonesense when we were younger

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Gambrosia: 10:17pm On Jan 18, 2013
BECAUSE DENSE NIGERIAN MOTHERS AND WOMEN IN GENERAL ACCORD THEM SUCH PRIMITIVE 'CULTURAL PRIVILEGES'! kiss

Upon all. . . no thank you o!
The more you 'submit'. . . the more you are seen as a fool!
No wonder women age in marriages. . .enough to look OLDER than their husbands or husbands' mothers! grin

What can I say. . . take a monkey ourra the bush. . . THE BUSH will always remain in the monkey.

What do we have left? BUSH MONKEYS! kiss

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by greatgod2012(f): 11:15pm On Jan 18, 2013
Not all of them are sexist,abeg, for example, my hubby never raised his voice up at me, he never order me around, if he wants me to do something, he first ask of my opinion on d matter, infact, im always grateful to God for his type of person.
Also, two of my brothers are not like that, i can swear that their wives too will be thanking God for their type of persons.
However, i think it boils down on d training given by d parents, when parents start to favour male kids more than d female kids, then d parent is building sexists and lazy authoritarians. Its now left to us parents to properly train our kids, regardless of their gender, so as not to become what we ourselves will not like about them when they become adult.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Genius100: 2:21am On Jan 19, 2013
mushona: Im married to a Nigerian who in the begining of the relationship assumed I would subscribe to his stupid sexist tendencies!!! but I soon fixed that. BUT as I read through Nairaland and interact with my male in- laws and other Nigerian men at church I begin to realise that that primitive attitude seems to be the norm for Nigerians. Really in this day and age women should not be viewed as possessions or mules. I was very pissed when one of my husbands uncles had a go at me for asking my mother in law to help me find a maid claiming it is my duty to do all the house work. Ive done all my own housework thus far but now wit a new baby due any minute, a child in school a business that I run (which contributes a large chunk to our lifestyle)I dont see why I shouldnt get help. I cant exactly just let my business die so i can sit at home with the baby. please dont answer me wit crap about washing machines, hoovers etc coz i have all that but a washing machine does not load itself and I cant leave the baby with a washing machine.

Anyway back to the point. I really want to understand why men think they are entitled to speak and behave to women as they please?

If you no like am, go marry woman..

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by KateSpade(f): 3:17am On Jan 19, 2013
depends on the man. Ive dated guys from different cultures and a lot of them have this superiority complex. I believe its because nobody or not enough people have "checked" them. Got to start when they are young.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 3:31am On Jan 19, 2013
KateSpade: depends on the man. Ive dated guys from different cultures and a lot of them have this superiority complex. I believe its because nobody or not enough people have "checked" them. Got to start when they are young.

Self confident eh? You kinda need to instil that into kids .... sorry to disappoint you but 'checking' them will not change anything but make you angry more ..... if you can't deal waka pass.... they will find their type with same values. Superiority complex all the way cool

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 4:56am On Jan 19, 2013
Genius100: If you no like am, go marry woman..

Your response to a very rampant issue speaks volumes. What you're saying in effect is, that is how men are meant to behave, and women must either accept it without question, or not get married to Nigerian men.

Smh.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Metalgoong(m): 6:27am On Jan 19, 2013
jidegirl12:

Self confident eh? You kinda need to instil that into kids .... sorry to disappoint you but 'checking' them will not change anything but make you angry more ..... if you can't deal waka pass.... they will find their type with same values. Superiority complex all the way cool

Gbam!!

@OP

Despite all your ranting,I'm sure some of your friends are asking you to hook them up with Nigerian men!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Metalgoong(m): 6:33am On Jan 19, 2013
Genius100:

Brother tell them ooo . . Any woman, whether Nigerian or non Nigerian, who doesn't like sexist Nigerian men should quietly look the other way. Simple!

Unfortunately for the OP, this sexist Nigerian men are highly in demand;at least, in the area where I live. The OP even married one! grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 8:36am On Jan 19, 2013
Siena:

Your response to a very rampant issue speaks volumes. What you're saying in effect is, that is how men are meant to behave, and women must either accept it without question, or not get married to Nigerian men.

Smh.

The thing tire me no be small. This shockingly cavalier attitude that many men have towards sexism against women. I wonder how they would feel if they are the victims of racism from white people. Sexism is just like racism because with sexism, no gender is more superior or inferior than the other but yet derogatory behavior and words are constantly directed to one sëx for no reason other than their gender.

The worst part is that some women maybe because they are damaged psychologically or because they have no self esteem, encourage sexism in men towards women. These types of women would raise sons that would treat women like dirt and raise daughters that would believe that they are not as good as men simply because they don't have a pënis.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 19, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by lovelydoll: 4:22pm On Jun 03, 2013
chaircover: Why?

Because many women let them full stop!

because some of us do actually behave like possessions! Because some of us dont bring anything to the table! Because some of us are more concerned about trivial things than the important ones! Because some of us have low self esteem! Because some of us trade our respect for horse hair and blackberrys! Because some of us want to sport a ring on that finger by any means and so we choose anything wearing trousers even though he clearly has Mr Wrong boldly written across his forehead!

Yes there will be the ones who haven't been brought up well by their parents, but if women refuse to go out with them and marry them, then they will have no choice but to change their ways.

Yet when a women makes the decisions to not get married in Nigeria. she is label as a demon lesbian,and is pressured by all.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 03, 2013
Genius100:

shey eleyi gbadun sha :/

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jun 03, 2013
Siena:

Smh.
you dey mind am
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 03, 2013

because some of us do actually behave like possessions! Because some of us dont bring anything to the table! Because some of us are more concerned about trivial things than the important ones! Because some of us have low self esteem! Because some of us trade our respect for horse hair and blackberrys! Because some of us want to sport a ring on that finger by any means and so we choose anything wearing trousers even though he clearly has Mr Wrong boldly written across his forehead!

Yes there will be the ones who haven't been brought up well by their parents, but if women refuse to go out with them and marry them, then they will have no choice but to change their ways.
you've said it all.infact,thats all
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Daresh(f): 11:04pm On Jun 03, 2013
My sister, hmmm, Nigerian men ehn! I just shake my head. My case is similar to yours, I have managed to drum out the sexism to an extent from my husband cos b4 we married he used to say and think the dumbest things. However his relatives? I shake my head. The day his uncle told me, pregnant women shd not wear trousers! Or "don't cross your legs in front of your husbands ppl! I just ignore him. When I told my husband, he was mad. See these ppl are so damn backward, just ignore them. I ALWAYS said my daughter will never marry a Nigerian man. I said it even b4 I had a daughter. I can't deal with their wahala for the poor girl. My husband has bn asking what is wrong with Nigerian men, I refer him to his relatives.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 12:13am On Jun 04, 2013
Not all Nigerians are, like a poster said. This is sometimes partly due to influences the environment, peers and the rest had on him. No matter what I still stand against it and believe that my 2buff aint a sexist!! cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by blaise26abj(m): 11:52am On Jun 04, 2013
Daresh: My sister, hmmm, Nigerian men ehn! I just shake my head. My case is similar to yours, I have managed to drum out the sexism to an extent from my husband cos b4 we married he used to say and think the dumbest things. However his relatives? I shake my head. The day his uncle told me, pregnant women shd not wear trousers! Or "don't cross your legs in front of your husbands ppl! I just ignore him. When I told my husband, he was mad. See these ppl are so damn backward, just ignore them. I ALWAYS said my daughter will never marry a Nigerian man. I said it even b4 I had a daughter. I can't deal with their wahala for the poor girl. My husband has bn asking what is wrong with Nigerian men, I refer him to his relatives.

Ain't the bolded Racism? And you are complaining about Sexism.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 04, 2013
fellis:

So this is the reason some men sound so patronising when they talk to women.

patronising? Are you all objects? As in, market wares?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 04, 2013

men can marry anytime they want so you refusing can't taky anything away from them, keep refusing, by the time you clock 40 years old without getting married, you would start begging men to marry you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 04, 2013
Girls if you don't like the sexism of a thing, i advice you sort the issue out with your husband, if he changes- to your own good. Plus raise your children the way they won't turn into sexists afterall. Just know that some ladies out there like male sexists.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by tsmith(f): 2:01pm On Jun 04, 2013
maxwello.yg:

men can marry anytime they want so you refusing can't taky anything away from them, keep refusing, by the time you clock 40 years old without getting married, you would start begging men to marry you.

Another sexist! and there are many more like him on nairaland, that I laugh so much at people's thinking.

@ op -

1.) Because the society dictates it, so the men are sexist, and the women too allow it.
2.) Because many live by hearsay and not 'what works'. Many are afraid to challenge myths and find it easier to comply rather than finding the right balance of what works best with Now (current climate, environment and one's partner).
3.) Because religion is archaic and needs to be brought into the 21st century. Many of the sexist views and notions are religious based, so perpetuators live by these doctrines.

A long time ago, I used to think sexism is as a result of lack on education, but I have long realized that even some educated ones still demonstrate these views. Neither is it a result of where you live. Because many abroad go to work and engage with fellow women as pars, but come home to be demiGods. Though education and location could play a part in eventually changing people's mindsets, but only those that are rationale.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 2:00am On Jun 05, 2013
maxwello.yg:

patronising? Are you all objects? As in, market wares?
You seriously don't know what 'patronizing' means? Wow......my god....

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by Nobody: 4:45am On Jun 05, 2013
mushona: please dont answer me wit crap about washing machines, hoovers etc coz i have all that but a washing machine does not load itself and I cant leave the baby with a washing machine.
u are definitely from the southern part of Africa grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? by usermane(m): 6:33am On Jun 05, 2013
The truth is, you ladies have to work hard too. Be a woman of morals,decency and independence. Show it that you are confident, intelligent and can stand on your own even without a man. If u keep depending and waiting for a man to do everything for u, then u suffer the consequences.
It is no secret, some men are sexist, men who believe a wife is a servant, not a partner. Men who believe Women were created to serve men. First, we can say their mummies never bothered teaching them how to relate with women properly. Secondly, religious/tribal rulings some how place men above women, hence the sexists believe they are doing the right thing. When some men say they want a respectful wife, they mean a wife who would put her want away instantly just to satisfy him at anytime.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Decribe A Perfect Life / Beware Of SLIM LITE COFFEE Lose Kilos Lekki Lagos Nigeria / Help! I Slept With My Brother''s Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.