Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,263 members, 7,811,734 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo (803 Views)

Anti-graft War: Buhari Ready To Step On Toes – Presidency / I Will Step On Toes For Abians Good- Ikpeazu / Diezani Confesses: I Stepped On Big Toes, But I Never Commited Any Crime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo by Maxymilliano(m): 8:04am On Jan 19, 2013
The former Nigerian President was celebrated in Abeokuta.

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Friday declared that any leader not ready to step on toes does is not worth being the leader of any nation, as such will have nothing to offer.

Mr. Obasanjo stated this in Abeokuta, the OgunState Capital, at the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) organised programme to celebrate him as a national statesman, held at the Cinema Hall of the popular Presidential Library Complex.

The former president emphasised that anybody who is not courageous should not venture into accepting a leadership position, stressing that the quality of good leader is ability to act appropriately.

‘If you don’t have courage on what to do as a leader, don’t accept leadership role. If you can’t defend your action, don’t accept leadership roles. It is either you are a leader or not. If you are afraid to do what to be done, don’t accept to be a leader,” Mr. Obasanjo emphasized.

He added further that for any nation to move forward, leaders must be ready to step on toes stressing that a qualitative leader must be able to defend his/ her actions.

“You can’t be a leader and you say you don’t want to step on toes,” he said.

The former President also spoke on the civil war, calling on all Nigerians to put the war behind them in other to move the country forward. He explained that it is a wound that should not be nursed again.

“Time has come in Nigeria to put civil war behind us. Whether you call it Biafran war or otherwise, I believe enough is enough on the Nigeria civil war,” the retired General and civil was leader said.

“If I have opportunity to remove my trouser, I will show you where shrapnel in my body. It is very close…”the retired army general told the gathering.

Notable dignitaries at the colourful ceremony include former Ghanaian President, John Kuffour; former Interim Head of State, Ernest Shonekan; Senate President, David Mark; and Ogun State Deputy Governor, Segun Adesegun.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/115921-you-cant-be-good-leader-if-you-cant-step-on-toes-obasanjo.html

Re: You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo by Burger01(m): 8:10am On Jan 19, 2013
Yeah...baba did step on some rotten toes and that's the reason he is so disliked by enemies of Nigeria... Baba Iyabo, no shaking sir...you dey kampe...

1 Like

Re: You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo by omiobo: 8:14am On Jan 19, 2013
......then,that speaks well of Fashola
Re: You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo by Maxymilliano(m): 8:29am On Jan 19, 2013
Baba can be funny sometimes, was it not his toes GEJ stepped on that is causing unending frictions and near-polarization of PDP?
Re: You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:39am On Jan 19, 2013
Yes,leadership is ability to carry majority of the people,at the expense of the few,and not the other way round.

I hope baba isn't referring to GEJ style of leadership,where selected few are favour at the expense of the populist..
Re: You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo by kufre2010: 10:23am On Jan 19, 2013
Yea, baba is correct. To achiev set out goals leaders wil step on toes but must b within the limit provided by law.
Re: You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo by Ikengawo: 11:09am On Jan 19, 2013
I believe he's speaking of GEJ indirectly and his cowardly way of leadership. Any sign of opposition causes GEJ to back down and he's to cowardly and dependent to fight things that require bravery like corruption and mismanagement. I tire for the guy. I don't like Obasanjo but his good traits are severely missing in GEJ.

Historically, i believe nigeria needs GEJ though, because OBJ created an imperial/dictatorial presidency and this is why Nigeria can't function and practice true federalism. GEJ's weak and confused rendition of this has made the office of the presidency less powerful and now the ministers, national assembly, senate and most importantly states are stepping up and doing their role more than under OBJ. The absence of leadership at the top has help Nigeria's institutions professionalize and find strength my accident of GEJ. Sanusi speaks on GEJ in ways Soludo couldn't speak on OBJ for example.

GEJ's confusions has also helped opposition parties grow, and PDP weaken, which is key to making sure our democracy works. In the long term, GEJ might accidentally be one of our best presidents because of his confusion lol.
Re: You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 19, 2013
speaking about toes, he really dealt with Atiku. Up till now atiku still can't stand straight. BABA you too much joor.
Re: You Can't Be A Good Leader If You Can’t Step On Toes- Obasanjo by redsun(m): 12:29pm On Jan 19, 2013
Shame on you bas-tards that post the opinions of this treacherous chimp that deserves to rot in jail on this forum.It is quite glaring you are all consciously and unconsciously the enemies of rational nigerians.

Unconsciously because you are inherently too f-oolish to differentiate between right and wrong.And consciously because you are inherently and genetically encoded to tow the line of evil and to see backwardness as progress.

(1) (Reply)

Rehabilitation And Expansion Of Sam Mbakwe International Airport Owerri / "Governor Suntai Can Neither Talk Nor See" – Umar, Taraba Acting Governor / Breaking News: Jonathan Removes Fugitive Pension Boss, Maina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.