Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,322 members, 7,819,102 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments (16980 Views)

It Is PDP Loyalists That Are Complaining Of Hardship Not Nigerians - Ngige / PDP Loyalists Burn Their Old Clothes As They Defect To APC In Rivers State. PICS / Former President Olusegun Obasanjo Cautions APC About Muslim-muslim Ticket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by fkaz(m): 8:38am On Jan 19, 2013
FORMER President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday in Abeokuta ,cautioned the literary icon, Prof. Chinua Achebe and the loyalists of late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo against uncomplimentary comments over the 3 -year old civil war in the country.

Obasanjo reacted in Abeokuta during the grand civic reception organised by the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) in the South West to formerly welcome him home after his resignation as the Chairman, Board of Trustee, BoT, of the party.

A former Biafran warlord, Ben Gbulie who thanked Obasanjo for converting the outright dismissal of some soldiers in the Nigerian Army who participated in the Biafran war to retirement, stating that, Obasanjo, as a war leader at that time won all the battles.

Former BoT Chairman of PDP, Obasanjo
It would also be recalled that, Achebe and Awolowo’s loyalists recently traded words over the roles of the latter and the eventual criticism by Achebe in his recent book.

Reacting to the controversies generated over the issue, Obasanjo urged both sides to sheathe their sword and let sleeping dogs lie.

Obasanjo disclosed that he deliberately invited the former Biafran warlord to share his experience about the civil war,saying, “because you are one of the participants in the first coup, and as you rightly said, you are also on the other side fighting for what you believed in, to save the Igbo from extermination.

“ Like I always said, that whole episode is unnecessary but we should also remember one thing, action and reaction in physics, they say, equal and opposite , but, in human interaction, no.

Reactions are always greater than action and you know that and I know that. But I believe the time has come when all of us in this country should put the civil war behind us.

“ Whether you called it Biafra, whether you called yourselves rebels or we called you rebels at the time, you called us vandals or we called ourselves whatever, I believe enough is enough on the Nigerian civil war.

I am happy that you came because I want people on the other side to know it was unnecessary. Since January 1970,after 43 years, if we are still mourning and groaning, I wonder.

The second world war ended 1945 and the combatants were the best of friends less than 10 years after. I just believe that we should put that behind us.”

Earlier in his lecture “Obasanjo in the Eye of History,” delivered by former President of Ghana, John Kuffor, he relived how Obasanjo used $40million to stabilize his country (Ghana) when he released the fund to the West African neighbour to pay its equity fund in the West African pipeline fund.

Kuffor said he was particularly bonded with Obasanjo, whom he fondly referred to as “my friend and brother,” stating that the consultation and approval to part-finance the project for Ghana, was taken in
Washington DC.

“Myself and Obasanjo were Presidents during the same time. When I became President of Ghana, between 2001 and 2009, Obasanjo was President in Nigeria between 1999 and 2007, the economy of my country was flat on its belly. At that time, Obasanjo approved that Nigeria should give us fuel on favourable terms aftermath of my meeting him in Abuja.”

At the civic reception graced by the political class, captains of industry, members of the diplomatic corps, the royalty, where the Olubara of Ibara, Oba Jacob Omolade obliged the gathering that
“poverty bond him together with Obasanjo in their Secondary School days at Baptist Boys High School in Oke-Egunya, Abeokuta, Kuffo recalled how the Owu-born General secured debts cancellation for
Nigeria and got its external reserves to hit $53bn.

He recalled how Obasanjo “bullied” Guinea Bissau soldiers when the duo visited as President of Africa Union and ECOWAS respectively by saying to them on a peace mission: “you guys should go back to the Barracks, how many of you are in this country that you have more Generals than Nigeria,” at the reception put together by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chaired by former Head of State, Ernest Shonekan and graced by Bola Ajibola, a former Judge at the World Court in the Hague.

Others who graced the ocassion included Senate President David Mark, Adamawa governor, Murtala Nyaku, PDP national vice chairman South West, Engineer Segun Oni, Former Governor of Ondo state, Segun Agagu, Osile of Oke Ona Egba, Oba Adedapo Tejuosho, former Agricuture Minister, Alhaji Adamu Bello, former education Minister, Dr Oby Ekwesili, Olubara of Ibara, Oba Jacob Omolade, Osimawe of Ondo, Iyalode Alaba Lawson, Deji of Akure, Oba Adebiyi Adesida, Former Speaker of Ogun state, Titi Oseni, Olu of Ilaro, Oba Kehinde Olugbenle, Former Presidential adviser of Legislative matters, Florence Ita-Giwa, former Military administrator of Western Nigeria, Vice Admiral Akin Aduwo, former Ogun PDP governorship candidat, Adetunji Olurin and the representatives of the governors of Kaduna, Niger, Plateau and Jigawa

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/obasanjo-cautions-achebe-awolowos-loyalists-against-civil-war-comments/

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Ngwakwe: 9:43am On Jan 19, 2013
Obasanjo, I bu Ofeke.

Ncheghari na Aririo na-eweta Ngbaghara nmehie (njoo)

10 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 9:47am On Jan 19, 2013
I like the 'bully' part. Obasanjo na king of military mafia in West Africa.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 19, 2013
They also called us - ragtag army of rebels. Hissing...i wish we can rebel intellectually with those nigerian army today. I for fight! Where is my intellectual cap sef make i wear am now as NL'ders go ready to bombard me for this forum?
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 9:53am On Jan 19, 2013
Who is Ben Gbulie? Who made him a biafra warlord? What are his credentials to have spoken on our behalf? What rank did he have in the Biafra army? Where was he when Asaba and Benin fell?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 9:54am On Jan 19, 2013
Pls take this thread to the front page MOD.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by chosen04(f): 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2013
We should forget about niGERia jets bombing civilians in the markets, hospitals, schools etc and just move and pretend that it never happened because the sad event happened some 43 years ago?........TRULY, I CAN NOW UNDERSTAND WHY JESUS WEPT.

10 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 19, 2013
Words of wisdom from an experience man in all aspects of life.

Action and reaction are equal and opposite in physics but never in human interactions

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:12pm On Jan 19, 2013
chosen04: We should forget about niGERia jets bombing civilians in the markets, hospitals, schools etc and just move and pretend that it never happened because the sad event happened some 43 years ago?........TRULY, I CAN NOW UNDERSTAND WHY JESUS WEPT.

^^^Thankyou my sister. It's that admonition to 'FORGET' that irks; nobody (from all sides) should be told to forget, b'cos if we do and issues are left unresolved, then we are just postponing the evil day.....and the underlying simmering resentment would mean we can NEVER be a united country.

8 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 19, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Thankyou my sister. It's that admonition to 'FORGET' that irks; nobody (from all sides) should be told to forget, b'cos if we do and issues are left unresolved, then we are just postponing the evil day.....and the underlying simmering resentment would mean we can NEVER be a united country.

Pls suggest way forward and how do we Nigerians resolved and do a restitution to Ibos?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by fkaz(m): 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2013
Keneking: They also called us - ragtag army of rebels. Hissing...i wish we can rebel intellectually with those nigerian army today. I for fight! Where is my intellectual cap sef make i wear am now as NL'ders go ready to bombard me for this forum?
grin grin grin grin grin grin
He be like say you ready for tribal war
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by cfours: 6:21am On Jan 20, 2013
ilugunboy:

Pls suggest way forward and how do we Nigerians resolved and do a restitution to Ibos?

by installing an Igbo man as governor of lagos, abuja and president of Nigeria.
by allocating 70% of federal revenues to SE
by creating a welfare state program for igbos
by exterminating all abokis by any means necessary
by cutting off the hands and feet of every "oily Yoruba" in all corners of earth.
by forming biafra (so that igbos will preside over nigeria and biafra at the same time)

this will be the ultimate dream.

remember, igbos are jewish geniuses stuck among backwards black people in africa. wink
if not for the civil war, biafra will look like sweden or USA by now.

20 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by advocate666: 10:52am On Jan 27, 2013
c.fours:

by cutting off the hands and feet of every "oily Yoruba" in all corners of earth.
by forming biafra (so that igbos will preside over nigeria and biafra at the same time)

remember, igbos are jewish geniuses stuck among backwards black people in africa. wink

Gbam! Gbam!
From your mouth to the ears of Satan. Amen.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 11:16am On Jan 27, 2013
chosen04: We should forget about niGERia jets bombing civilians in the markets, hospitals, schools etc and just move and pretend that it never happened because the sad event happened some 43 years ago?........TRULY, I CAN NOW UNDERSTAND WHY JESUS WEPT.
odi egwu o! 43 years is just like yesterday in the eyes of those biafrans who witnessed the war.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Techwriter: 1:14pm On Jan 27, 2013
Let's bury the hatchet! OBJ is a father to listen to

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Tolexander: 1:15pm On Jan 27, 2013
only God knows which is older between this news and Methuselah on nigerian vanguard!
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by igosee: 1:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
my step mother lost seven of her children in the civil war and died without a child and you want me to forget the history, think about

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 27, 2013

Why you come fat like 5*times Obasanjo?...
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by IleIfe2(m): 1:34pm On Jan 27, 2013
Oya Igbo line up, each family take #50 Million for fighting and losing against your enemy during the Nigerian civil war. grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jan 27, 2013
May the souls of the innocent who died in the civil war rest in perfect peace. Amen.

Let's move forward. Signed. Magnate...
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
Ile-Ife:
Oya Igbo line up, each family take #50 Million for fighting and losing against your enemy during the Nigerian civil war. grin grin

Close your oily teeth...

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by 80million1: 1:38pm On Jan 27, 2013
*speechless*

i just got back from Church,thank u Jesus.
I look forward to a blessed week!
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by IleIfe2(m): 1:38pm On Jan 27, 2013
c.fours:

10 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by VirginFinder: 1:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
I'm coming
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by IleIfe2(m): 1:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
okpara ugo:

Close your oily teeth...

You dey vex? go jam head for wall Elewedu!

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by BetaThings: 1:53pm On Jan 27, 2013
Ile-Ife:

This is not funny! Let us respect the feelings of others

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by democrazyslogan: 1:53pm On Jan 27, 2013
Ehe *clears throat* about the $40 million usd, na from obj pocket or na govt borrow or dash, has ghana. Paid back or they r paying back or thanking Naija by frustrating nigerian business men in ghana. Father christmas is not from North pole but Owo kingdom.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Kslib(m): 1:55pm On Jan 27, 2013
c.fours:

Just look at how to put the word backward blacks as if igbos aint black.. This inferiority complex of a thing is one major problem many black people have.. Always trying to claim something rather than trying to something so that others will claim them.. Ok,lets assume your jewish claim is true,
what has it changed?? Nothing!!!
Did it make your life better?? No!!!
Does it stop the whiteman from calling you a black monkey?? No!!!
Is there a jew inscription on your fore-head?? No!!!
Can you tell the difference btw an igbo man and a calabar/delta/edo/kogi man just by their structure of facial structure?? No!!
You said the igbos are stuck with backward black africans shey.. Pls go check the number of crimes committed in this country(minus the north).look east,west and south and tell me the tribe that tops the list hands down without arguement...
Go check the international crimes committed by Nigerians all over the world and tell me the tribe that tops that same list hands down...
LASTLY,WHAT MAKES YOU THINK BIAFRA WOULD BE ANY BETTER IF NIGERIA EVENTUALLY DIVIDES.. SO OTHERS WILL BE FOOLING THEMSELVES AND SLEEPING WHILE BIAFRA KEEPS DEVELOPING ABI?? PLS WAKE-UP!!
I HATE ANYTHING THAT USES TRIBE TO DISUNITE OR MAKE ANY TRIBE FEEL THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE OTHER.. I HATE TRIBAL WAR AND THE WORLD WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER PLACE WITHOUT TRIBE,RACE AND COLOUR,BUT I GUESS ITS TOO LATE..
LET ME END BY SAYING THIS "THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL,I MEAN NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT IGBO PEOPLE".. There are like any other Nigerian out there,the difference is that they have been brain washed to beleive they are better than any Nigerian who aint igbo...
I dont belong to any of the three main languages,but i beleive if Nigeria divides,the south-west would be better than biafra by far.. Just look around and see the conditions/enviroments and visions for the future both have,and you will know what i'm talking about... You dont just have to keep shouting and shouting just show us your present foundation and let us decide how strong the building will be...
IF YOU WANT TO SHOOT,SHOOT DONT TALK..

22 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by IleIfe2(m): 1:58pm On Jan 27, 2013
BetaThings:

This is not funny! Let us respect the feelings of others

Ok, sorry. (giggling)

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 27, 2013
c.fours:

grin grin
I had to comment cos this post really cracked me up! Like seriously?

On the civil war, both sides will always have bitter stories to tell. The wisest thing to do is just forgive one another & move on.

All that said, all these nigerians not united bs are just political propaganda....and only exists on this site. The average nigerians are not tribalistic!
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by CyberG: 1:59pm On Jan 27, 2013
fkaz:
“ Like I always said, that whole episode is unnecessary but we should also remember one thing, action and reaction in physics, they say, equal and opposite , but, in human interaction, no.

Reactions are always greater than action and you know that and I know that. But I believe the time has come when all of us in this country should put the civil war behind us.[b]

“ Whether you called it Biafra, whether you called yourselves rebels or we called you rebels at the time, you called us vandals or we called ourselves whatever, I believe enough is enough on the Nigerian civil war.

The second world war ended 1945 and the combatants were the best of friends less than 10 years after. I just believe that we should put that behind us.”

He recalled how Obasanjo “bullied” Guinea Bissau soldiers when the duo visited as President of Africa Union and ECOWAS respectively by saying to them on a peace mission: “you guys should go back to the Barracks, how many of you are in this country that you have more Generals than Nigeria,” at the reception put together by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chaired by former Head of State, Ernest Shonekan and graced by Bola Ajibola, a former Judge at the World Court in the Hague.

I am not a fan of OBJ as I think he could have done better on a LOT of things BUT I give it to HIM now on a lot of issues, seeing that even none of his successors have come even remotely close to him in achievement or stature while having much more resources at their disposal. That said, his brilliant take on few issues and some of his sayings will go down as quotes in the future, maybe!

iboes and other parts of Nigeria fought and lost/won a war, it is MORE than time to move on, as he correctly pointed out. Talking about war / fighting / break-up frightens no one in Nigeria as usually the farsighted and deeply-thoughtful people of Nigeria know that in a war situation, if it were to repeat itself, it might lead to complete annihilation (erasure) of the ibos just like WW 2 corrected the mistake of the allies who were the victors in WW 1. Let everyone understand, like OBJ pointed out, if a people killed a few leaders from other tribes, goes about dancing on their graves and saying derisive things to those people, when the reaction comes; it will not be an equal number of the original offenders that will be made to pay. Reactions while opposite will never be equal in human interaction. (More details on this later)

OBJ will go down as one of the finest leaders Nigeria has ever had in its history!

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by CyberG: 2:00pm On Jan 27, 2013
More details...

This was the same reason why ibos still cry about the incident in Asaba where 700 ibos were killed in one swoop. This sounds terrible until people learn that this event was a reaction to what biafran soldiers did to the local population of Asaba when they captured the city and were later made to flee when they heard that the Nigerian army was bearing down for the city to re-take it. The dispossessed the population of their food and vehicles (lorries) and fled in them of course tyrannizing them. When the Nigerian army captured the city, the local population was happy and went on a revenge spree on the ibos among them because the soldiers even did not help to evacuate their fellow iboz. On an occassion, an ibo man not realizing it a really stupi.d move, attacked and wounded the leader of the Nigerian battalion who had just taken the city. Well, again, actions and reactions were not equal but surely opposite: they gathered all the ibos they could find, perhaps more male, and retaliated! This is the big lesson and hope we can all learn from it like OBJ rightly pointed out. (READ MORE DETAILS of this incident in The Brothers War by John de St. Jorre)

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Jonathan Govt. Paid Companies Linked To Okupe To Hack ‘unfriendly’ Websites / Sowore Campaign Page And Popularity Are Growing Really Fast / ISWAP Bans Movement Of Farm Produce With Trucks In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.