Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) (10771 Views)

More Pics 4rm Fire Outbreak At Samsung Office As Fire Fighters Strugle 2 Stop It / Epic Response Of A Girl When PDP Said Yesterday Was Day 62 Of Fuel Scarcity(pic / Pipeline Explosion At Ogolonto, Ikorodu(fire Fighters Needed Asap) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by rodeo0070(m): 11:54am On Jan 20, 2013
I'm happy for the prompt action taken by the Firefighters. However, the govt. Should do more about the response to emergency situations either man-made accidents or natural disasters.
Once again, 3 GBOSAS!!! to the Firemen...
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by manny4life(m): 12:27pm On Jan 20, 2013
I remember the Dana accident like it was yesterday, a lot of folks on here said why didn't the fire team respond, so many questions were asked. Now that fire team has arrived, story has changed to why don't they have a unique number. My people, let us learn to appreciate the littlest (abeg forgive my bombasticulous enigrish), no matter how irrelevant it may sound (to some). It's true that the U.S. may have a better system than ours, but it will give the firemen great joy for rescuing folks from that fire. The enthusiasm they have will gear them up to do better jobs next time.

There's a saying "better late than never". Though their fire trucks looks awful but calling a spade a spade, they have tried. If only they have responded like this in the Dana accident, casualties wouldn't have been heavy. However, like they say, great learning comes from experience. While they have lots of work ahead like improving their time response, erecting fire hydrants connected to direct water supply, educating the people on what numbers to calls in case of fire and rescue emergencies, I mean the list is endless, let us not STOP short of giving them credit.

I've always respected firemen and police officers - people who put themselves in the line of risk. In all my gibberish, I SAY A BIG THANK YOU TO THEM, keep the gr8 work coming. Though lots of work is needed but more grease to your elbows.

2 Likes

Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by AAC: 12:41pm On Jan 20, 2013
hollandis: i hate it whem people give kudos to govt officials for doing their job
Exactly wat I was thinking. We need institutions & govt officials functioning like they shld be.
Just d other day, I looked out of my balcony & I saw some kids playing in d woods. Moments later, I saw fire burning. I was gna watch d fire 2 see if it'll get outta control. But while I was stl watching, d fire service arrived & put it out. All this happened within a short period of time.
It got me thinkin u knw. If it were in Nig. wld d fire service respond promptly to bush fire.

I think we shld move away 4rm d era where we clap 4 d govt when dy build boreholes. Some things are naturally d ryts of d citizens & dt is y they'r thr 2 work 4 d citizens.
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by AAC: 12:44pm On Jan 20, 2013
Lagusta:

Abeg stop this immature and fake familiarity joor, if you are an american nko Is your blood made of gold or your §hít smells like cologne

And FYI, we hard-core nigerians ALSO have our own emergency dispatch number, and its 767...

I think d dude needs d address to "yankeeland". He shldnt be on Nairaland.
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by majekleo(m): 12:46pm On Jan 20, 2013
I once called this fire service no last year for a fire emergency at zone 3 and their response was fantastic, they got there in less than seven minutes, you could save it as it could be of help to anyone in Abuja some day. 096711371 .

1 Like

Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by pheemmii(m): 2:09pm On Jan 20, 2013
Dat is US... I don't know abt Abuja but I bilif there shld be sumtin lik dat. In Lagos, d emergency response number is 767 or 112.
Blyss: Humm, so Nigeria doesn't have a national emergency response number, like 911 here in the US? All you have to do here is dial 911 and an emergency dispatcher will answer the phone, you tell her your emergency issue, give her your location or general location and they'll dispatch the appropriate emergency services in your area to your location to help you.
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by Symphony007: 2:37pm On Jan 20, 2013
When will sprinklers be a requirement in every nigeria building?
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by Ninilowo(m): 2:46pm On Jan 20, 2013
Cool Kizzy:

thanks we know already. . . Oh and thanks for letting us knw u are in the US.

No min am as if evrything is Ok there too.
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by naptu2: 2:48pm On Jan 20, 2013
Symphony007: When will sprinklers be a requirement in every nigeria building?

Sprinklers + fire hydrants.

(We also need snorkels in some states).
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by Ninilowo(m): 2:49pm On Jan 20, 2013
naptu2:

We had 199 when Nitel was functional (1960s, 70s, 80s & early 90s). Since Nitel's demise we have different emergency numbers for different states/networks. It's 767 for Lagos State.
...and 419 for NL "e-fire service" grin
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by maron22: 2:55pm On Jan 20, 2013
shocked grin nigeria need to get d emergency no men.
Here in uk we have our own so let
them try get it men
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by sobastical: 3:00pm On Jan 20, 2013
meenagiggs: Me no see no fire.

U for go add PGS join make d house for burn well... Smh!

1 Like

Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by sobastical: 3:03pm On Jan 20, 2013
maron22: shocked grin nigeria need to get d emergency no men.
Here in uk we have our own so let
them try get it men

Bros abeg, shey we fit borrow am?? cheesy
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by OmoTier1(m): 4:52pm On Jan 20, 2013
Blyss: Humm, so Nigeria doesn't have a national emergency response number, like 911 here in the US? All you have to do here is dial 911 and an emergency dispatcher will answer the phone, you tell her your emergency issue, give her your location or general location and they'll dispatch the appropriate emergency services in your area to your location to help you.
Nigeria has a national emergency number, the question is, if someone at the other end picks it up, do they know what to do
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by Blyss: 5:25pm On Jan 20, 2013
For those of you who've responded civil to my good natured question, I thank you for your response. I'm only here as a guest in your lovely forum to learn something new about your wonderful, great nation. smiley

1 Like

Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by Godogwu: 7:38pm On Jan 20, 2013
Symphony007: When will sprinklers be a requirement in every nigeria building?

In which part of the world is sprinklers a requirement? PLEASE sit down \______
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by Godogwu: 7:40pm On Jan 20, 2013

I can't with some of you..... I just can't ... Sigh
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by obi2012: 11:51pm On Jan 20, 2013
I am impressed.. Naija keep up the good work
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by crackhouse(m): 12:45am On Jan 21, 2013
it's only in Abuja they will take their work serious because that's where the mighty resides. i am not surprise at all. this one na pure "eye service".
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by londoner: 6:43am On Jan 21, 2013
This is a good development. We may need improvement yes......but even the serivices in the US or UK started somewhere and grew to what they are today.

Nigeria shall do the same.
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by naptu2: 7:06am On Jan 21, 2013
In the old Nitel system, 199 puts you in touch with the Nitel operator who can connect you to the police control room, the fire service, etc. It was toll free.

When Nitel collapsed, each network created its own emergency number (some even entered into agreements with health care providers so that the providers will respond to emergency calls). The system did not always work. Not all the numbers were toll free.

The Lagos State government set up the 767 and 112 emergency number system. A call to any of those numbers will connect you to the Lagos State Emergency Command and Control Centre. The centre is directly in touch with LASAMBUS (ambulance), Rapid Response Squad (RRS/police), Lagos State Fire and Safety Service and Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA). It is also from this centre that the CCTV cameras are monitored. The system works and is toll free.

However, I'd still advocate that we go back to the old (Nitel) system of having a single national three digit emergency number. Someone from Minna, who is a first time visitor to Lagos, might not know the 767 number and knowledge of the number might be crucial, especially when decisions need to be taken in a split second.

1 Like

Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by naptu2: 7:22am On Jan 21, 2013
This next article reminds me of when I was a kid. I regularly called the "special numbers" (speaking clock, ring back, etc. We even used the ring back number to play an April fools joke on my aunt), but the one number I always wanted to call, but never had the courage to dial, was 199.

When I was in nursery school my parents taught me to call 199 if there was an emergency. However, they also taught me that if I called 199 when there's no emergency, the police would come and arrest me.

I hope pyguru doesn't ban me when I post the article.
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by naptu2: 7:39am On Jan 21, 2013
[size=14pt]Lagos State : Fashola hands over security command and control centre[/size]

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Tuesday handed over the Lagos Security Command and Control Centre at Alausa, stating that the Command Centre has brought about the collation of useful data that has been of tremendous benefit to the State’s developmental programmes.

The State Governor who spoke at the Alausa location of the Command Centre added that it has enabled a breakdown of the data collected into the number of cases per month by local government and by type of emergency.

“Cases are categorised by medical emergencies, motor accidents, burglaries, traffic robberies, car thefts, vehicle fire outbreaks, building fire outbreaks, civil disturbances, collapsed buildings, abandoned cars, suspicious activity and kidnaps/missing persons.

This data is compiled on a monthly basis and provides the opportunity to study trends and deploy emergency services to the areas where they are needed most”.

“No human endeavour will thrive where there is insecurity. The growth of the Lagos economy, and increasing investment attraction have been driven significantly by the maintenance of law and order and very high level of security, which gives assurance that Lagos is a secure place to live in and do business”, the Governor stated.

He informed that calls to the toll free numbers of 767 and 112 have steadily increased from 417,000 calls in 2008 to approximately 32,000,000 calls recorded at the end of 2011, adding that over the same period, just over 62,000 incidents that were actual emergencies were escalated to the various Lagos State emergency support agencies.

He stated that the bulk of over 31 million calls were unnecessary or test calls that did not require any action from emergency services, adding, “In a population of over 18 million people, 62,000 emergencies may seem a good index; but we must do more through agencies like the Safety Commission, to reduce the number of emergencies”

Governor Fashola stated that In October 2011, out of 2,776,036 calls, 683,802 were fake emergency calls with the remainder being largely requests for services such as leaking pipes, potholes etc which should have been directed to the relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies rather than to emergency services, adding that by November the number of fake calls had increased to 1,131,545 out of a total of 4,228,995 calls and keeps growing.

He said whilst the call centre operators are doing their best to answer as many calls as possible, the fact is that in a State that is home to 18 million people, it is practically impossible to attend to all emergency calls with the added burden of fake ones. “The implication is that help may be slow in coming to someone who genuinely needs it; perhaps even ourselves”.

“As awareness has grown, plans have also been finalised to increase the call centre operator capacity to 100 operators per shift to cope with increased demand. This will of course provide the much needed gainful employment that our unemployed youths so desperately desire”, Governor Fashola said.

He also acknowledged the cooperation of the GSM operators – Airtel, Glo Mobile and MTN who have provided the platform by which citizens are able to dial the Command Centre free of charge and also thanked MTN for its contribution of N150 million towards the construction of this state-of-the-art facility.

While appealing for restraint and a sense of good citizenship, the Governor also advised that all calls are recorded, and that in time government may decide to enforce the law against fake callers as a deterrent.

“Parents are particularly enjoined to educate their children, as young people constitute the highest number of offenders in this regard. We should all remember that emergencies are no respecter of persons.  For many years, we had longed for a facility such as this. A simple 3-digit number that we could call in times of emergency. Your Government has provided it and it is maintained with your taxes. It is a life-saving device and not a toy”, the Governor said.

Governor Fashola said the introduction of toll free 3-digit number in Nigeria is yet another example of how the government has refused to remain static and continues to explore and exploit Information Technology driven solutions to enhance its services to the citizenry.

Governor Fashola explained that one of the problems the administration noticed when it inaugurated the emergency 3-digit, 767 & 112 numbers was that the security, ambulances, fire service and other first responders encountered difficulties in locating points of distress because there were no street signs and this led to the embarking on the street signage programme to be followed by house numbering.

“We have since installed 23,000 (Twenty Three Thousand) signs in 54 Local Governments and the final phase to install another 23,000 (Twenty Three Thousand) signs in 3 Local Governments (Alimosho, Epe and Ibeju-Lekki) has been approved by the State Executive Council.  Simultaneously, approval has also been given for the numbering of each house in Lagos State to assist with identification”.

He reiterated that street signage are not just identity tags but are part of the security infrastructure and often make the difference between whether a life is lost or saved while urging everyone to co-operate with the enumerators and also to protect the street signs and house numbers from damage.

The Governor also cautioned all those who name streets after themselves without formal application and approval to desist because It is an infraction of the laws and a challenge to the efforts to maintain law and order, warning that Government would respond to the challenge very vigorously by bringing such persons to justice.

Governor Fashola recalled that when he first took office as the Governor in May 2007, he was aware then as he is now, that one of the primary responsibilities as a government is to ensure the safety and security of lives and property and to fight crime and renewed this commitment on the 29thof May 2011 when he was sworn in to serve and lead this great State for another four years, adding that the handing over is a tangible manifestation of those promises.

“Back in 2007, to demonstrate the seriousness with which we planned to enforce law and order, I set up a security committee headed by the former Inspector-General of Police, Alhaji Musiliu Smith, with a specific mandate to propose long-lasting measures that would reinforce security in Lagos State.The committee came up with several recommendations, one of which was the establishment of the Security Trust Fund (STF) in collaboration with the private sector, and the establishment of a Communication and Command Centre”.

He stated that the first task of the Trust Fund was to revamp the Lagos State Police Rapid Respond Squad (RRS) and provide support to other agencies relevant for the enhancement of public safety and security and in addition set up a temporary communication room and call centre for the RRS pending the completion of this facility.

Said he: “The scope of the Communication and Command Centre was expanded in April 2008 with the introduction of the Lagos State Emergency toll free numbers – 767 and 112. The service commenced with 18 call centre operators at a centre in Surulere. From that location, emergency calls received from citizens were escalated to the various security and safety agencies for prompt response”.

“In February 2009, an additional 15 call centre operators were added to the service at the RRS Command and Control Centre in Alausa.  Upon completion of this facility, the entire operations were moved here on the 12th of July 2010 and an additional 97 operators were employed, bringing the total number to 120 operators, working 3 shifts, in batches of 40 operators per shift, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week”.

Earlier, in his welcome address, the State Commissioner for Science and Technology, Mr Adebiyi Mabadeje said the centre will vastly assist the State Government in planning and preparing for challenges ahead to provide a better environment for its residents.

He explained that the Command and Control Centre will aid the centralization and coordination of activities of the Lagos State Ambulances Services (LASAMBUS), Lagos State Fire Service, Rapid Response Service (RRS), Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), Lagos State Emergency Management Authority (LASEMA) and Environmental Task Force.

He added that the Centre will also assist in allowing the State get a clearer picture of the number of incidents (emergency, security or otherwise) which will lead to better service delivery and planning for the future.

The Governor later cut the tape to officially hand over the centre before undertaking a guided tour of the facilities in the Centre.

Prominent among those who witnessed the event were the Deputy Governor, Hon (Mrs) Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, members of the State Executive Council, Chairman of the State Security Trust Fund, Chief Remi Makanjuola, former Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Musiliu Smith, State Police Commissioner, Mr Yakub Alkali, Police Area Commanders in the State, the Asoju- Oba of Lagos, Chief Molade Okoya- Thomas and other stakeholders in the security sector.

http://www.cityflavourmagazine.com/?p=10595
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by Symphony007: 8:07am On Jan 21, 2013
Godogwu: .

In which part of the world is sprinklers a requirement? PLEASE sit down \______
in which part of the world is sprinklers a requirement? In civilized parts of the world. Apparently you don't know how must certification is needed to build houses overseas, from sprinklers to smoke alarm and the government even have fire hydrants so fire crews won't run out of water while fighting blazes.stop defending the indefensible.
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by blackbeau1(f): 11:45am On Jan 21, 2013
Hopefully,no life was lost.
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by Godogwu: 4:30am On Jan 22, 2013
Symphony007: in which part of the world is sprinklers a requirement? In civilized parts of the world. Apparently you don't know how must certification is needed to build houses overseas, from sprinklers to smoke alarm and the government even have fire hydrants so fire crews won't run out of water while fighting blazes.stop defending the indefensible.

Ermm I'm in the US and my apartment doesn't have a sprinkler, we've got a smoke detector though but no sprinklers..... I get your point though but Nigeria can't jump from A to Z... Everything will take its place eventually.

1 Like

Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 22, 2014
Godogwu:

Ermm I'm in the US and my apartment doesn't have a sprinkler, we've got a smoke detector though but no sprinklers..... I get your point though but Nigeria can't jump from A to Z... Everything will take its place eventually.
Re: Fire At FHA, Lugbe Abuja And Prompt Response Of Fire Fighters (pics) by tit(f): 11:40pm On Jul 22, 2014
Do architects consider fire fighting access in house layouts?

(1) (2) (Reply)

NDLEA Arrests 45-Year-Old Business Man For Ingesting Cocaine Wraps / Nuhu Ribadu Meets Top US Officials, Discusses Security Cooperation (pic) / Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.