Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,464 members, 7,954,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:05 AM

Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? (804 Views)

. / What Are The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria Or In Africa? / Promo Nigeria Or Addynamo Which Is Best To Advertise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by mambenanje(m): 7:27pm On Mar 03, 2008
all you webmasters I guess you can stand up and beat your chest and say I am an IT guy.
I have one question for you: can you say you are BILL GATES, OR SERGEY BRIN OR STEVE JOBS OR MARK ZUCKERBERG of your country.
Infact who can say he or she is Bill Gates of Nigeria or Sergey Brin(google tech pres) of Nigeria
Open your mouth yarn it out
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by my2cents(m): 9:22pm On Mar 03, 2008
Must we be any of the above to belong? Can't we be our own selves? Must we have assets of billions of $$ to belong? Is having billions the only determinant of success? Why can't we be (insert names of your country's rich guys here)? Must we be compared to white men to belong?

Hmm. Very many thought-provoking questions. What, oh what, will the answers be cool
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by tundewoods(m): 11:14pm On Mar 03, 2008
Actually i guess my Grand mother deserves to be crowned the bill gates of Nigeria,jokes apart she had written a Nigerian variant of Linux as early as 1972.Too bad she wasn't as innovative and business savy as Bill Gates,she lost the damn codes to Linus.

But Good news is that she's writing a new program that can predict when NEPA or PHCN will strike and also predict when they will restore power back and how long it will last.Trust me this new software yet to be given a brand name will do well in the Nigerian market and some other parts of the west african market.
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by my2cents(m): 11:18pm On Mar 03, 2008
Tunde,

Did her predictive software take into account that certain parts of the country will be experiencing 30 days of no light beginning in about a week? If so, she needs to market that thing quick cool
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by tundewoods(m): 11:35pm On Mar 03, 2008
Thanks my2cents,as we speak we are currently in our own developers labs coding the loop back and recurring events alogrithm for our special Software.

Open source developers like you are welcome as my Grand Mum is getting old and plans to retire as soon as mambenanje crowns her the Bill Gates of Nigeria.
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by prodgalson: 5:27pm On Mar 04, 2008
You guys are FUNNY!
Thanks for the laughs, I needed that this morning.
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by smartsoft(m): 5:44pm On Mar 04, 2008
Chie ! Chi ne ke u na , i can't stop laughing, but tunde can u tell you Grandmum that i will liek to buy over th software Company for a fee of $2trillion
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by my2cents(m): 6:14pm On Mar 04, 2008
prodgal,

sorry to veer off course but did your yearly adobe users group seminar hold this year? You haven't mentioned anything about it since you advertised it last summer or so.

If so how was it? If not, wetin happen?
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by smartsoft(m): 8:07pm On Mar 04, 2008
2cent, why you dey try come for seat now ? abeg sit back ooo and relax your self, i really want to hear from tundewoods
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by aphoe(m): 8:30am On Mar 05, 2008
IMITATION IS LIMITATION!

I can never be Bill Gates III (Bill himself is Bill Gates II). I can never be Larry Ellison of africa. I can't even be Philip Emegwali of our generation. I will never be any of these guys, you know why?

God took time to create me, and everything He made is perfect and inter-galaxy class. So i'm and will always be Aphoe of the world
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by my2cents(m): 11:54am On Mar 05, 2008
aphoe,

Yours is precisely the attitude we need. As a wise man once told me, black people in General are fond of copying the white man and not coming up with anything original ourselves.
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by tundewoods(m): 1:42pm On Mar 05, 2008
Anyway i want to be the Aphoe of my village then since i cant be the aphoe of africa or nairaland.
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by prodgalson: 4:05pm On Mar 05, 2008
@my2: long story my brother, will tell u offline. Sched'd for april/may.
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by dababy2008(m): 5:00pm On Mar 06, 2008
Life is not being like others create your own style and you will make impact in your own field of endevour.

I want to be myself and also i want to make impact in I.T and i am sure i will surely make an imapct.

Anyway incase you dnt know i have an invention awaiting Patent and also last year i represented Africa @ The World Cup of Computer Implemented Inventions in taipei which i help Africa qualify for the FINALS this year in Switzertland.

Thanks
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by webguru(m): 10:35pm On Mar 06, 2008
@ aphoe

longest time, how IT

@ all

come to think of it; i've always wanted to be a 'bill gates' of this world

i've been inspired by emeagwali, google and yahoo guys and recently facebook's founder

however, seeing how they achieved it and havin such technology, im aspiring to be greater than them

everyone wants to b himself, bt how do u grow or feel challenged without 'mentors' or role models
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by nduaj(m): 12:26pm On Mar 07, 2008
comon guys, the poster isnt askin u people to change ya names, he is asking to match the achievements of the above listed great men (bill gates etc.) .
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by my2cents(m): 12:48pm On Mar 07, 2008
Well nduaj, to me, I know where he is going, but why use oyibo names? Dangote just became the 334th richest man in the world. I am also sure there are other African billionaires. Couldn't he have picked those.

C nduaj, for me, again I know where he is coming from but those names convey a subtle meaning. It's like when in the states some company did a study to see what doll black children would pick if given a choice b/w black and white. They overwhelmingly picked the white one. When asked, one black girl said, "because the white one looks better".

We as a race have been made to think that white is better. Again, it isn't overtly done, but covertly. In the states, an average commercial features all white people (most likely blond and blue-eyed, but that's another story) and the one "black" person they put on there is so light, atimes you can't tell the difference. Even in naija, whenever I visit a friend's house, they immediately switch to CNN. Why not AIT? CNN is only as popular as its viewership. Can you imagine where CNN would be in Africa if we all tuned to say, AIT?

So again, at least for me, I know where he is coming from. Having lived in a society where no matter how hard you try to fit in, some elements make you feel like you don't belong for a long time, using such names, as has been done above, just doesn't sit well with me.

Okay, sorry for the long response. I am off my soapbox now grin
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by naijafan(m): 1:03pm On Mar 07, 2008
yea. . . where the dude was goin is so obvious.

Infact who can say he or she is Bill Gates of Nigeria or Sergey Brin(google tech pres) of Nigeria

@my2cents
Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Again grin
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by nduaj(m): 1:09pm On Mar 07, 2008
i dont think the guy was going the race way o, he was simply talking in terms or morden achievements . lets not bring race into the equiation. so if i ask you a question, who would you rather be Bill gates or Dangote? how many of you would say Dangote?

Give honor to whom honor is due. If in the future u make earth shaking discoveries, pple will come to the brightness of your shining (pple will want to be assocaited with you)

Dont bring race into this one.!!! abeg
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by naijafan(m): 1:20pm On Mar 07, 2008

@nduaj
That statement above was a dare. Obviously, he wanted to prove that it was impossible. You don't dare people when you know/think they can do whatever the dare states. wink

The question was if any1 could claim to be the Bill Gates/some other whites of Nigeria/Africa. . . that's rings a bell - subtly.  angry
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by my2cents(m): 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2008
You have to, naijafan, albeit in a healthy manner.

Do I hate white people? Absolutely not. Do I think every white person out there is evil? Absolutely not. All I am saying is, atimes there is a reason behind everything if only you read the tea leaves. Another example: A girlfriend (black) I dated many years ago asked me to name my top 5 actresses. I did. She said, "interesting". I asked y. She said, "not one of them is black. not even Halle Berry". Of course, I told her race had nothing to do with it and it's the truth. That day has always haunted me. It is only 2 or so years ago that it finally hit me what she was trying to say. In a world where 99% of the actors and actresses are white, why wouldn't I mention white actresses. From that day, I have been more conscious of myself.

B/w dangote and gates? Surprisingly, I will choose Dangote. Why? First and foremost, he's a fellow Nigerian. I have to support him, even if he were worth $100million. Besides, in all honesty, how many billions do you need?
Re: Any Bill Gates Of Nigeria Or Africa ? by mambenanje(m): 2:25pm On Mar 13, 2008
My2cent you deh make me laugh, I was trying to inspire Africans to start thinking big, and you rather think I was praising white guys. Men I want Africans to get big names just like Bill and the rest. You know he has been the richest man fo 12 consecutive years with mere software. And the best part of it all the softwares can be written in any geographic location with no difference. VB in USA is VB in Nigeria and accross the internet a Chinese/Indian will work for an African cheesy.
So I want to know who in Africa or on Nairaland can say look at my archievements and wait for me because I am coming up and all I am working up to dethrone google or Microsoft. I must say am proud about one of the posters (dababy208) because he gave some serious archievements like representing Africa in Asia and took it to finals, that is what I would always like to hear.
I bet you as the internet gets deeper into Africa those big Tech companies will come here to own the market, and its left on us to get something big to challenge them like baidu is doing in China against Google smiley. So who is capable of making it big and is realy proud.
now make we see who go yarn better now wink

(1) (Reply)

Submit Your Websites To Our New Web Directory. / Vps Optimised Naira Web Hosting / Javascript Vs Php

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.