Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,471 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. (4823 Views)

Shiloh 2013 Prayer Guidelines: Exceeding Grace: 2 Corinthians 9:14-15 / What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 2:14am On Jan 23, 2013
Today, we begin a journey to corrective surgery and knowledge in our churches (2 Timothy 3:16) and we shall discuss the Abuse or misuse of speaking in tongues. The whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 14 taught on Spiritual gifts, contrasting between prophecy and speaking or praying in tongues.

New Living Translation (NLT)

Tongues and Prophecy

1 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy.

2 For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.

3 But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them.

4 A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church.

5 I wish you could all speak in tongues, but even more I wish you could all prophesy. For prophecy is greater than speaking in tongues, unless someone interprets what you are saying so that the whole church will be strengthened.

6 Dear brothers and sisters, if I should come to you speaking in an unknown language, how would that help you? But if I bring you a revelation or some special knowledge or prophecy or teaching, that will be helpful.

7 Even lifeless instruments like the flute or the harp must play the notes clearly, or no one will recognize the melody.

8 And if the bugler doesn’t sound a clear call, how will the soldiers know they are being called to battle?

9 It’s the same for you. If you speak to people in words they don’t understand, how will they know what you are saying? You might as well be talking into empty space.

10 There are many different languages in the world, and every language has meaning.

11 But if I don’t understand a language, I will be a foreigner to someone who speaks it, and the one who speaks it will be a foreigner to me.

12 And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church.

13 So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said.

14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying.

15 Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand.

16 For if you praise God only in the spirit, how can those who don’t understand you praise God along with you? How can they join you in giving thanks when they don’t understand what you are saying?

17 You will be giving thanks very well, but it won’t strengthen the people who hear you.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than any of you.

19 But in a church meeting I would rather speak five understandable words to help others than ten thousand words in an unknown language.

20 Dear brothers and sisters, don’t be childish in your understanding of these things. Be innocent as babies when it comes to evil, but be mature in understanding matters of this kind.

21 It is written in the Scriptures:

“I will speak to my own people through strange languages and through the lips of foreigners. But even then, they will not listen to me,” says the Lord.

22 So you see that speaking in tongues is a sign, not for believers, but for unbelievers. Prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers, not unbelievers.

23 Even so, if unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your church meeting and hear everyone speaking in an unknown language, they will think you are crazy.

24 But if all of you are prophesying, and unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your meeting, they will be convicted of sin and judged by what you say.

25 As they listen, their secret thoughts will be exposed, and they will fall to their knees and worship God, declaring, “God is truly here among you.”

A Call to Orderly Worship

26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you.

27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say.

28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately.

29 Let two or three people prophesy, and let the others evaluate what is said.

30 But if someone is prophesying and another person receives a revelation from the Lord, the one who is speaking must stop.

31 In this way, all who prophesy will have a turn to speak, one after the other, so that everyone will learn and be encouraged.

32 Remember that people who prophesy are in control of their spirit and can take turns.

33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God’s holy people.

34 Women should be silent during the church meetings. It is not proper for them to speak. They should be submissive, just as the law says.

35 If they have any questions, they should ask their husbands at home, for it is improper for women to speak in church meetings.

36 Or do you think God’s word originated with you Corinthians? Are you the only ones to whom it was given?

37 If you claim to be a prophet or think you are spiritual, you should recognize that what I am saying is a command from the Lord himself.

38 But if you do not recognize this, you yourself will not be recognized.

39 So, my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking in tongues.

40 But be sure that everything is done properly and in order.

1 Corinthians 14

...to be continue

1 Like

Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 2:59am On Jan 23, 2013
First, lemme make it very clear I'm NOT against speaking (or praying) in tongues as I do speak (or pray) in tongues myself by the means of Spiritual gift.

Second, there are two categories of tongues recorded in scriptures namely:

1. The Sign Tongues
2. The Prayer Tongues

The Sign tongues happened on the day on Pentecost and it was a known and understandable tongues by the unbelievers. The prayer tongues is a Spiritual gift that engages one's praying in the spirit. verse 2; 13-14 of I Corinthians 14. This kind of praying tongues, no ONE understand it neither is it a known language because it is mysterious in the Spirit, (verse 2).

However, today I often see many church folk speaking in tongues in the open Christian meetings without any interpretation and such is against scripture. Many preachers often intercept their preaching and messages in between by speaking in tongues. This is nothing but an abuse of speaking in tongues and disorderly worship to God. My favourite Apostle Paul said,

"27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say. 28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately".

"Silent" in this context doesn't mean they cannot speak or pray or sing etc in church meetings but rather, they MUST hold their peace and rather speak or pray (in tongues if you would) to God PRIVATELY. It is saddening that even preachers encourage such kinds of abuse of the gift of speaking or praying to God in tongues in our churches like the Corinthian Christians. As you read through this piece today, you're encourage to take corrective measures in the word of God.

1 Like

Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 3:15am On Jan 23, 2013
wow. What bible version is this? So clear.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Joagbaje(m): 3:17am On Jan 23, 2013
There difference between praying in tongues and speaking in tongues . Praying in tongues is to God . Speaking in tongues is to people or on behalf of people . Such requires interpretation. If you are talking to God by yourself . You don't need Interpretraction. So if you are prophesying, or praying for people as a leader in tongues it's wrong if its not interpreted. But you can pray by yourself in tongues . Just the way you could have prayed in your understanding..

1 Corinthians 14:27-28
. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Speakiing to himself and to God . doesnt mean outside the church. So if the whole church prays individually in tongues . It's perfectly ok. It's personal. Between each person and God.the issue here is not what language you're speaking. But who are you speaking to. God, man, or yourself .

1 Like

Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 4:10am On Jan 23, 2013
Joagbaje: There difference between praying in tongues and speaking in tongues . Praying in tongues is to God . Speaking in tongues is to people or on behalf of people . Such requires interpretation.

This is the kind of error Apostle Paul was trynna correct. How do you mean that speaking in tongues it to PEOPLE?. I can manage to understand the "ON BEHALF OF PEOPLE" aspect because we can be ignited by the Spirit of God to intercede for someone and in such, we know not what to pray but the Spirit gives us utterance. Scripture says in verse 2, "...ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you...."

The ONLY way you SPEAK to God is in PRAYER. So how do you mean you can speak TO people in tongues. And since people don't interpret such, why do they speak/pray in tongues in churches?

Joagbaje:

1 Corinthians 14:27-28
. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak [size=20pt]to himself, and to God.[/size]

Speakiing to himself and to God . doesnt mean outside the church.

Joagbaje, when did speaking to HIMSELF = speaking to people? Himself, People? Huh. You need to balance this "speaking to "himself" and to God as PRIVATE prayer to God because when such speaking/praying in the churches is done, Apostle Paul said, no one understand you and even unbeliever in your midst dont understand you. So he said, keep the tongues to yourself or when you talk to God privately. Again, the setting of this context is church meetings, inside the church as seen in verse 19, 23 and 26. The context of the setting is gathering in worship places.

Joagbaje:
So if the whole church prays individually in tongues . It's perfectly ok. It's personal. Between each person and God.the issue here is not what language you're speaking. But who are you speaking to. God, man, or yourself .

Joagbaje, this is exactly what Paul was trynna correct my brother. He (Apostle Paul) even went as far as mention number of people to speak in tongues and in such case, an interpreter is needed (verse 27-28). If an individual is to pray to God, he should pray to God in private (in tongues), verse 28. Again, do not confuse yourself with speaking and praying. You pray to God by speaking. Notice, "speaking" and "praying" used interchangeably. We don't pray to ourselves or to men but to God.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 4:32am On Jan 23, 2013
davidylan: wow. What bible version is this? So clear.

New Living Translation (NLT). I think The Expanded Bible also makes it clearer, very similar with NLT. Read the Expanded Bible version of 1 Corinthians 14 [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2014&version=EXB]HERE[/url].

I love my Expanded Bible
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by ifeegee(f): 4:32am On Jan 23, 2013
Bro Goshen,I admire ur in depth knowledge of the bible so much,its now a motivating factor to want to study my bible more.Though,I do not agree with some of ur dispositions sha....Just my opinion,no offence intended.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 4:55am On Jan 23, 2013
ifee-gee:
Bro Goshen,I admire ur in depth knowledge of the bible so much,its now a motivating factor to want to study my bible more.Though,I do not agree with some of ur dispositions sha....Just my opinion,no offence intended.

Off course my dear sister, I don't take offense at your words. No, never! It's not an insult. I appreciate your compliment though and If I've motivated you to study the word more, to God be the glory. One thing I know is, the body of Christ lack teachers. It's okay to disagree. It is not because the word of God is not forever settled but we disagree due to our understanding and interpretation.

One of my job on this forum is to point people to Christ. Only follow me as long as I follow Christ. There is also need to subject my teachings to scriptural scrutiny just as the Bereans did when Apostle Paul taught them. Think about it,

"...They searched (examined) the Scriptures day after day to see if Paul and Silas were teaching the truth". - Acts 17:11

1 Like

Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 6:29am On Jan 23, 2013
If u speak in tongues, its between u and God,a sign of the holy spirit baptism, if u pray in an unknown tongue, or diverse tongues,it is a gift of d holy spirit and its for the benefit of d church and should be interpreted..
If the pastor while praying says 'speak in tongue if u can', everyone can begin speaking in tongues, but if the place is saturated with the holy spirit and suddenly one or two persons begins praying in tongues, often very loudly, there should be an interpreter, or d person(s) should be silent.
The pastor, preaching and suddenly bursting into tongue for a bit, is not a sin..its between him and God.

My 2cents sha... undecided
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Joagbaje(m): 7:35am On Jan 23, 2013
Goshen360:

This is the kind of error Apostle Paul was trynna correct. How do you mean that speaking in tongues it to PEOPLE?. ]

You need to understand the code of a writing. Just as paul gave the code about covering of hair. Head of woman is. . . Head of man is. . .anybody who miss that part will lose the truth about that passage.

Now if you study that passage carefully . Paul used certain codes . Prophesying in that passage simply means speaking in native dialect . While speaking with tongues means speaking to people either by preaching ,exhortation or prophecy in heavenly language.. If you come to people in tongues ,it's wrong . To prophesy or teach or preach in tongues . That's what I mean by speaking to people . That's what paul was saying,

Look at these scriptures in that light with neutra mind.. I

1 Corinthians 14:19
Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

1 Corinthians 14:6
Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

It's about speaking or preaching to people .not about praying to God. So there's a prayer aspect of tongues. Individually or cooperately there's also a speaking aspect . Which require interpreting for others to benefit from the message

1 Like

Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:50am On Jan 23, 2013
Iam still trying to wrap my head around speaking in tongues. Its a huge problem @ church tongue

We had a girl my age 21/22, she was delivered @ our church from demon posessions though it wasn't her first time to be delivered in a christian church. She kinda told us those 'their scary stories'. Few sundays later she gave a testimony, she spoke in tongues at the alter and our female Paster just got up and cut her in the middle of tongue speaking moment. I was buffled, it wasn't a pleasing scene and m sure da whole church was.

Now this female Pastor told us to be aware on how we say 'amen' to everything. Because the devil also speaks in tongues and from that day..we having people leaving the church saying we r being dictated and stuff. I wanna know if our female pastor was wrong.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Zikkyy(m): 8:56am On Jan 23, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Iam still trying to wrap my head around speaking in tongues. Its a huge problem @ church tongue

We had a girl my age 21/22, she was delivered @ our church from demon posessions though it wasn't her first time to be delivered in a christian church. She kinda told us those 'their scary stories'. Few sundays later she gave a testimony, she spoke in tongues at the alter and our female Paster just got up and cut her in the middle of tongue speaking moment. I was buffled, it wasn't a pleasing scene and m sure da whole church was.

Now this female Pastor told us to be aware on how we say 'amen' to everything. Because the devil also speaks in tongues and from that day..we having people leaving the church saying we r being dictated and stuff. I wanna know if our female pastor was wrong.

while we wait for Bishop Evangelist Pastor Goshen to deliver a 'prophetic' response to your question, i will just add my opinion; Your pastor interrupting the lady could either be out of ignorance or she knows what she is talking about. I mean, for somebody that goes for deliverance (from demon possessions) as a routine, what is the guarantee she was not chanting some evil spell? I want to agree with your pastor that anybody can speak in 'tongues' and it's not everything you say 'amen' to. As long as the tongue speaking is not in a language known to man, i don't even trust any interpretation.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Tgirl4real(f): 2:44pm On Jan 23, 2013
Goshen360:

New Living Translation (NLT). I think The Expanded Bible also makes it clearer, very similar with NLT. Read the Expanded Bible version of 1 Corinthians 14 [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2014&version=EXB]HERE[/url].

I love my Expanded Bible

Finally!!! Phew! sad

A particular demon has been preventing me from posting on this thread. I think d demon is called internet bug. grin

@ Goshen,

I don't agree that there is such a tongue that can't be understood. ICor 14: 10 n 13 makes that clear.

U guys also forget that tongues is a gift of the Spirit as listed in 1Cor 12 and all the gifts of Spirit are given for the common good and not for personal edification.

It's selfish to seek for personal edification of a gift that is given for the general edification of the body.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 9:02pm On Jan 23, 2013
Tgirl4real:

@ Goshen,

I don't agree that there is such a tongue that can't be understood. ICor 14: 10 n 13 makes that clear.

What Apostle Paul was doing in verse 10-11 was analogy of natural or earthly languages and using it to explain that if someone is speaking an earthly language and the other person doesn't understand it, what is the usefulness of such. He then says in verse 12, "And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church". I don't think he's saying by the verses you refer to that there's no such tongue that can't be understood because he says in verse 2, "...speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you..."

Tgirl4real:

U guys also forget that tongues is a gift of the Spirit as listed in 1Cor 12 and all the gifts of Spirit are given for the common good and not for personal edification.

It's selfish to seek for personal edification of a gift that is given for the general edification of the body.

Yours in this statement is ETERNAL TRUTH. Exactly the goal and purpose of Apostle in this letter, chapter 14 here. The speaking in tongues as taught by Apostle Paul here without interpretation doesn't benefit the whole body gathered in worship but the one who speaks/pray in such tongues and to himself and to God. Hence, there's need to hold the tongues speaking if there's no interpretation. Yours is true to the words of the Apostle.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 9:06pm On Jan 23, 2013
@ Joagbaje, Please can you point us to the verse(s) that encourages 'corporate' speaking in tongues without the gift of interpretation?

@ Zikky and HumbledbYGrace,

Dear brother and sister, I can't figure out what was going in that gathering o. cheesy
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by christemmbassey(m): 9:20pm On Jan 23, 2013
Goshen360:

What Apostle Paul was doing in verse 10-11 was analogy of natural or earthly languages and using it to explain that if someone is speaking an earthly language and the other person doesn't understand it, what is the usefulness of such. He then says in verse 12, "And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church". I don't think he's saying by the verses you refer to that there's no such tongue that can't be understood because he says in verse 2, "...speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you..."

Yours in this statement is ETERNAL TRUTH. Exactly the goal and purpose of Apostle in this letter, chapter 14 here. The speaking in tongues as taught by Apostle Paul here without interpretation doesn't benefit the whole body gathered in worship but the one who speaks/pray in such tongues and to himself and to God. Hence, there's need to hold the tongues speaking if there's no interpretation. Yours is true to the words of the Apostle.
1Cor13:1- Thouhh I speak with the tongues of men(known) and angels((unknown)....
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by christemmbassey(m): 9:20pm On Jan 23, 2013
Goshen360:

1Cor13:1- Thouhh I speak with the tongues of men(known) and of angels((unknown)....
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Joagbaje(m): 10:31pm On Jan 23, 2013
Goshen360: @ Joagbaje, Please can you point us to the verse(s) that encourages 'corporate' speaking in tongues without the gift of interpretation?
If nothing is wrong with praying cooperately in English why should it be wrong to pray cooperately in other tongues. The early church prayed cooperately in tongues.

Acts 2:4
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Cornelius family also

Acts 10:44-45
While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. . . .For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter

Acts 19:6
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.,
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by honourhim: 11:09pm On Jan 23, 2013
Acts2:1-11.
1.And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

The above biblical portion clearly explains the issue of speaking in tongues which is a sharp contrast to what we see in churches today as speaking in tongues.
First the apostles were desirous of the the promise of the comforter to be fulfiled.
Secondly, when the Holy Spirit came he gave them utterances to speak in tongues as recorded in verse 4.
Thirdly, the language they spoke were languages of different people as recorded from verse five down.
people of different countries/nations and tribes heard them speak their languages and wondered at it.
The truth is that most of today's christians are so lazy to honestly and earnestly seek to experience some of these things in their lives. The church these days is always creating short cut for their members hence the nonsense they speak now and call it speaking in tongues.
All of them are speaking the same sherimamama, ribabababbaba, santoriririiri and all the nonsense. Compare it to what the apostles experienced when they received the Holy Ghost and you will see that these people are joking. In the church i attend we are taught to earnestly seek for the Holy Ghost and i can tell you that several times i have witnessed those who were praying and received the Holy Ghost. when it happens you ll see the person who for example might be a Yoruba or Igbo person speaking Hausa or Efik or another known language. I mean new comers and old members who earnestly pray for the Holy Ghost. In our annual international convention in the USA you ll see white people speaking Efik, Igbo, Yoruba etc when they receive the Holy Ghost.
Not what we see today where christians memorize one rubbish and be speaking it.
you see somebody coming straight from the market jumps into the church and immediately joins others to speak ribababababbab, domamamamamama. nonsense.
Any child of God that wants to experience the real speaking in tongues should sincerely go to God in prayer. Ask him to give you the holy ghost. When you experience it, you will hate what you see in churches today as speaking in tongues.
I am a living testimony that what is recorded in acts 2;1-11 is still happening in our own time. When i went to God in prayer, i told him that i truly needed to experience the Holy Ghost in my life as recorded in the case of the apostles. I continued in the prayer for quite some time and i was really determined that i wasnt going to stand up from the prayer until i receive the Holy Ghost yet i had a very strong faith in me that 'whatever God has promised, he is able to perform'. As i continued in prayer, i felt such an ocean of joy like the type i had when i received salvation. Then i noticed that my tongue was speaking another language which was different from the one i was praying with. somehow shocked at this discovery, i shut my mouth so as to revert back to the original language i was praying with but when i open my mouth to continue with the original language i still continued with the other one. And of course i had that assurance in me that THIS IS IT. Yes this was the experience i was looking for. Since then till now, each time i go deep in prayer, i experience this.
I dont know where today's church learnt the one they are parading today as speaking in tongues.
How can pastor tell the church to speak in tongues and you see all of them repeating the same lines that they ve learnt from each other? You dont learn speaking in tongues. Pastor cannot tell you to speak in tongues. He has no such right, it is the Holy Ghost that gives the utterance. Again you dont just jump into a prayer session and start speaking in tongues. you must pray and establish a clear link with heaven before you experience the holy ghost in that dimension. Your heart environment must truly be prepared for the holy ghost. He doesnt come into people anyhow.
Some churches even have school of speaking in tongues. Na wa o.
I dont even understand what some people here are confusing themselves with praying in tongues and speaking in tongues. its part of the lazy inventions of today's church.
Speaking in tongues can only come as the holy spirit give utterances and when apostle Paul talked about interpretation it clearly shows he was refering to speaking in tongues as experienced by the apostles in Acts 2;1-11 where they spoke other people's languges. Any other thing besides this i consider it as lazy inventions of today's church. If we should stop being lazy and quit looking for short cuts, we ll prove some of these experiences of the apostles in our lives as christians.

1 Like

Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 12:14am On Jan 24, 2013
Joagbaje:
If nothing is wrong with praying cooperately in English why should it be wrong to pray cooperately in other tongues. The early church prayed cooperately in tongues.

Acts 2:4
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Joagbaje my brother. Na whao. I do not seek to argue endlessly on this subject. How do you explain the "sign" tongues to praying tongues? What happened on Pentecost though was "corporate" tongue speaking if I may put it that way but it was a well known languages that was never learnt by the Apostles, it was the tongues of men as recorded in 1 Cor. 13:1. You can also read honourhim's post and Acts 2 he quoted up there. The tongues given to us that we speak mystery with when we speak/pray to God is UNKNOWN to NO MAN but ONLY to God, not even the person that speaks or prays in such tongues, 1 Cor. 14:2 and 14.

Joagbaje:
Cornelius family also

Acts 10:44-45
While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. . . .For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter

Acts 19:6
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.,

Again, this is the "first" these people received the Holy Ghost by the laying of hand by the Apostle and the evidence was speaking in tongues are "corporate" if you choose, I agree. These people never went about speaking everywhere after this account. Again, I personally do not know weather the tongues spoken by these people were the KNOWN tongues like the day of Pentecost or the praying tongues as in 1 Cor. 14:2, 14. However, I "assume" it's the KNOWN tongues because the Gospel just started spreading then in Acts and such KNOWN tongues was needed to spread the Gospel in ALL languages.

It's just like you and I, the first time we received the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues. The teachings in 1 Corinthians 14 is mainly on the correction to the Abuse of tongues in worship places if examined/studied critically. Why pray/speak in tongues when you can't interpret neither does anyone understand you except God? This is what Paul was saying? It doesn't profit the whole church rather, prophecy does. I advice you kindly read/study the passage from many translations to better understand the subject. Thank you sir.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 12:19am On Jan 24, 2013
@ honourhim,

Thanks so much for the indepth contributions. However, in my Op if you read. I mentioned that the tongues in Acts 2 was a well known tongues that was understood by men present.

There's also a praying tongues as revealed in 1 Cor. 14: 2 and 14. It is the tongues with which we talk to God for NO ONE understands such and it is UNKNOWN or NOT UNDERSTOOD by anyone except God, not even the one that prays/speaks in tongues.

1 Like

Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 24, 2013
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by christemmbassey(m): 1:19am On Jan 24, 2013
Goshen360:

Joagbaje my brother. Na whao. I do not seek to argue endlessly on this subject. How do you explain the "sign" tongues to praying tongues? What happened on Pentecost though was "corporate" tongue speaking if I may put it that way but it was a well known languages that was never learnt by the Apostles, it was the tongues of men as recorded in 1 Cor. 13:1. You can also read honourhim's post and Acts 2 he quoted up there. The tongues given to us that we speak mystery with when we speak/pray to God is UNKNOWN to NO MAN but ONLY to God, not even the person that speaks or prays in such tongues, 1 Cor. 14:2 and 14.

Again, this is the "first" these people received the Holy Ghost by the laying of hand by the Apostle and the evidence was speaking in tongues are "corporate" if you choose, I agree. These people never went about speaking everywhere after this account. Again, I personally do not know weather the tongues spoken by these people were the KNOWN tongues like the day of Pentecost or the praying tongues as in 1 Cor. 14:2, 14. However, I "assume" it's the KNOWN tongues because the Gospel just started spreading then in Acts and such KNOWN tongues was needed to spread the Gospel in ALL languages.

It's just like you and I, the first time we received the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues. The teachings in 1 Corinthians 14 is mainly on the correction to the Abuse of tongues in worship places if examined/studied critically. Why pray/speak in tongues when you can't interpret neither does anyone understand you except God? This is what Paul was saying? It doesn't profit the whole church rather, prophecy does. I advice you kindly read/study the passage from many translations to better understand the subject. Thank you sir.
well sir Goshen this is to support ur view and @ the same time set the record straight. The 'sign' speaking in tongues @ Conelius's meeting was not as a result of Peter's laying of hand on them but it came as Peter was just preaching. Acts10:44 while Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word: (KJV) Again Peter narrate what happened in Acts11:15 And as i began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the begining: (KJV), so you were correct, it was a 'sign' speaking in tongue, and 'coporate' speaking in tonpue is the modern christian innovation, just like holy ghost fire, and die die etc etc.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Zikkyy(m): 7:53am On Jan 24, 2013
Goshen360: @ honourhim,

Thanks so much for the indepth contributions. However, in my Op if you read. I mentioned that the tongues in Acts 2 was a well known tongues that was understood by men present.

There's also a praying tongues as revealed in 1 Cor. 14: 2 and 14. It is the tongues with which we talk to God for NO ONE understands such and it is UNKNOWN or NOT UNDERSTOOD by anyone except God, not even the one that prays/speaks in tongues.

Joagbaje & co speak in very strange tongue even God does not understand smiley

1 Like

Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 24, 2013
Joagbaje:

You need to understand the code of a writing. Just as paul gave the code about covering of hair. Head of woman is. . . Head of man is. . .anybody who miss that part will lose the truth about that passage.

Now if you study that passage carefully . Paul used certain codes . Prophesying in that passage simply means speaking in native dialect . While speaking with tongues means speaking to people either by preaching ,exhortation or prophecy in heavenly language.. If you come to people in tongues ,it's wrong . To prophesy or teach or preach in tongues . That's what I mean by speaking to people . That's what paul was saying,

Look at these scriptures in that light with neutra mind.. I

1 Corinthians 14:19
Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

1 Corinthians 14:6
Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

It's about speaking or preaching to people .not about praying to God. So there's a prayer aspect of tongues. Individually or cooperately there's also a speaking aspect . Which require interpreting for others to benefit from the message

u 4get tat speaking in tongues is more or less a sign to the unbelivers,if they dont get what ur saying or praying abt its useless.or should da church or fellowship be divided into people that can speak in tongues and people that cant speak in tongues?.
If no is ur answer,then speaking in tongues should be done in private,or mutual connection btw u n God,if the need b in public an interpreter should be present,if nt kip silent.

Look here u can give prophesy,revelation in public<church>,every1 undastands u and is blessed as long as they fall under ur voice.

Lets get practical:
IF I COME TO UR CHURCH N START RAINING CURSES N INCANTATION ,HOW WUD U KNOW?,im guessn this the kindof situation thd apostle was tryn to avoid.

Now Goshen did not say specking in tongues is a sin,but im guessing SHOWING THE MISUSE OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES WAS HIS REASON 4 OPENING THIS DISCUSSION.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 9:33am On Jan 24, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Iam still trying to wrap my head around speaking in tongues. Its a huge problem @ church tongue

she was so correct,bt wrong in the sense that the devil does not understand and speck in tongue,cause that was God's main purpose of cr8n the language of the tongue,so the devil cnt decode it. BUT LETZ ASSUME THE GAL SPOKE IN HEBREW OR GREEK,HOW MANY OF THE CHURCH CONGRIGATION understood wat she was say?, n to does who dont undastand the gal was speaking in tongues.
The pastor was rit to cut the gal off.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 24, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Finally!!! Phew! sad

A particular demon has been preventing me from posting on this thread. I think d demon is called internet bug. grin

@ Goshen,

av u read 1cor 14.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Zikkyy(m): 11:58am On Jan 24, 2013
goshap:
Lets get practical:
IF I COME TO UR CHURCH N START RAINING CURSES N INCANTATION .............

.........and everyone will shout a big 'Ameeeeen' or hallelujah grin that's what HumbledbYGrace pastor(ress) was talking about.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by honourhim: 1:47pm On Jan 24, 2013
Goshen360: @ honourhim,

I agree with you my brother but according to that verse 2, it says by the spirit. once the speaking comes by the spirit of God thats ok. But this sherimamamama, dorimamamama and oroboskata stuff that people are parading today as speaking in tongues(which of course they learnt from pastors and ministers) are not part of it.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Goshen360(m): 1:58pm On Jan 24, 2013
^ #Smiles.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by christemmbassey(m): 2:35pm On Jan 24, 2013
honourhim:

I agree with you my brother but according to that verse 2, it says by the spirit. once the speaking comes by the spirit of God thats ok. But this sherimamamama, dorimamamama and oroboskata stuff that people are parading today as speaking in tongues(which of course they learnt from pastors and ministers) are not part of it.
any believer who learnt speaking in tongues has not spoken in tongues b4, it is a GIFT that can not be acquired tro learning.
Re: Carnality Of The "Corinthians" Churches - Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues. by Joagbaje(m): 8:29pm On Jan 24, 2013
honourhim:

It doesn't matter how it sounds. What counts is the source. Either it's rabarababa o or borororo . cool so far as its from the depth within. So it's not in the sound but in the power activated

(1) (2) (Reply)

Revealed: The Bible Says God Did Not Create Man. / The Ungodly Influence Of Dance And Secular Music To Youths. / Is Any Nigerian Fooled By Pastor With 666 Tattoo Claiming To Be Divine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.