Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,744 members, 7,820,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti (9882 Views)

Rain Falling In Lagos / 200 Houses Burnt Down / Cbn Recovers 200 Houses From Former Bank Chiefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 23, 2013

No fewer than 200 buildings and property worth millions of naira were on Monday evening destroyed by a rainstorm which accompanied 2013 first rainfall in Owo, Ondo State.

Residential and public buildings, shops, vehicles, public schools, churches and stadium were badly damaged by the rainstorm.

Mostly affeceted were one of the oldest schools in the town, the Imade College, the General Hospital, Owo Stadium, Methodist High School, St Catherine Anglican Girls Grammar School and Methodist Church.

Electric poles were deamaged leading to black out in the town.

Commercial activities were affected on major streets like Oke-Ogun, Iloro, Ehin-Ogbe, Uka as the roofs of many shops were blown off by the rainstorm.

Commissioner for Special Duties, Mr. Niran Sule-Akinsuyi, lamented the extent of damage caused by the storm.

He said, “Relevant authorities and agencies of government must quickly come to the aid of the affected people as many of them have been rendered homeless.”

The lawmaker representing Owo Constituency 1 in the state House of Assembly, Mr. Ayo Arowele, noted that many of the people no longer had shelters.

He appealed to the Federal Government, the National Emergency Management Authority, the state government and other concerned bodies to assist the people in their effort to rebuild the destroyed houses and shops.

Bishop, Owo Diocese of Methodist Church, Solomon Adegbite, appealed to the federal and state governments to come to the aid of the people.

In a related development, residents of Obasanjo Estate, in Ikere Ekiti are still counting their losses following a rain which destroyed their buildings.

Our correspondent gathered that the rain which started around 5pm on Monday blew off roofs of some of the buildings in the estate.

Also, electric poles and some trees were also uprooted by the rainstorm.

The damage caused by the rainstorm is not limited to the estate as stalls and some buildings in the Shasha Market opposite the estate were destroyed.

The chairman of the Landlords and Residents Association of the estate, Mr. Jide Ogunluyi, said the destruction of electric poles had thrown the estate into darkness.

He said, “We are counting our losses. Parts of the roof of my building were damaged. Some of the electric poles were pulled down. We have been thrown into darkness since this happened.

“We have complained to the Power Holding Company of Nigeria and we are expecting them to come to our rescue.”

The estate had, about four years ago, suffered a similar damage by rainstorm which  damaged most of the buildings in the estate.

After this, the residents planted trees in front of their buildings to serve as windbreakers

http://www.punchng.com/metro/first-rain-destroys-200-houses-in-ondo-ekiti/
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Nobody: 11:59am On Jan 23, 2013
Pictures

1 Like

Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jan 24, 2013
eyahhhhhhhhh
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Freezle(m): 3:21pm On Jan 24, 2013
The government should please act now... GOD help us
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by sunnyt1(m): 3:21pm On Jan 24, 2013
Haaaaaaa, we have started this year again

1 Like

Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Scarpon(m): 3:21pm On Jan 24, 2013
sorry to all them victims
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by honeric01(m): 3:22pm On Jan 24, 2013
nature is not smiling.
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 24, 2013
Paypal+:
Hi Add blacberry pin: 2686B26D let start the fun and make our selves happy.

Blackberry again?. Hope you dont live in Festac. and what has BB got to do with the topic?

1 Like

Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by antontech(m): 3:24pm On Jan 24, 2013
what a pity,hope the state gov helps
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by eghosa77: 3:24pm On Jan 24, 2013
Sorryooo
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by slimyem: 3:24pm On Jan 24, 2013
If they keep waiting for government,dem go wait tire!
The wise ones had better find means of rebuilding their own homesundecided
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by intelligen(m): 3:25pm On Jan 24, 2013
Pls is der any tenable reason for dis kind of storm in january?cos it bafles me dat dis is hapening at dis tym of d year....my sincere symphaty to dos affected...
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by eghosa77: 3:31pm On Jan 24, 2013
Federal Law maker representing owo pls deep hand into ur pocket well well and help ur people especially in this trying time
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by aglomar: 3:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
The rain get 'ba". Na wa o!

I hope help arises for the affected individuals soonest.
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Decryptor(m): 3:41pm On Jan 24, 2013
eghosa77: Sorryooo
Scarpon: sorry to all them victims
aguiyi: eyahhhhhhhhh

if it was in Anambra that this happened, everone would start abusing Peter Obi and say that the Anambra state govt is useless. Ok o
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Fhemmmy: 3:50pm On Jan 24, 2013
Decryptor: if it was in Anambra that this happened, everone would start abusing Peter Obi and say that the Anambra state govt is useless. Ok o

I just wonder why people always like to look for tribal trouble . . or zonal fight

3 Likes

Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Onlinebiz2012: 4:08pm On Jan 24, 2013
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by purplekayc(m): 4:15pm On Jan 24, 2013
Not surprised most of the houses in those 2 states have been built 4 decades with no refurbishment what so ever..

1 Like

Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by bigfat01: 4:27pm On Jan 24, 2013
[size=15pt]BETTER THAN bokoharam [/size]

Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by fowowe411: 4:28pm On Jan 24, 2013
Paypal+:
cngrats 4 ur new bb
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Fhemmmy: 4:30pm On Jan 24, 2013
purplekayc: Not surprised most of the houses in those 2 states have been built 4 decades with no refurbishment what so ever..

Ummmmmm
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by omega25red(m): 4:37pm On Jan 24, 2013
purplekayc: Not surprised most of the houses in those 2 states have been built 4 decades with no refurbishment what so ever..
i was thinking it but i wasn't going to say anything
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Chimezie198(m): 5:18pm On Jan 24, 2013
Ewwwwwsad

chaaaiiii

choooiiii

ehhhhiii

ehyaaaa

sad
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by kaeto(m): 5:53pm On Jan 24, 2013
I hope Ileke.idi's house was not affected? 'cos I can see some1 in d pix thdt looks like her pop, just kidding though...
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by vicfajeze: 5:53pm On Jan 24, 2013
d rainstorm touched my house too at iselu-.I mean along idaniken street,owo Indo state. abeg make una pray make rain no fall till dis week runs out o.ogho Yi asenwa esene luka mare afene ori e masan. ogho Yi remi o.

1 Like

Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 24, 2013
Scientists have predicted that the world will be witnessing more sharp contrast in weather, this they say will become the trend from 2013.
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by olempe(m): 6:28pm On Jan 24, 2013
Ah.. Owo! That's my country home... Eyaaa.
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by olempe(m): 6:32pm On Jan 24, 2013
Paypal+:

Mumu, U̶̲̥̅̊ just get BlackBerry ni!
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Kei144(m): 6:41pm On Jan 24, 2013
This is definitely the year end time begins. The weather pattern already shows that it will be worse than last year.
Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by Omen100(m): 6:47pm On Jan 24, 2013
Scientific predictions are more correct & accurate than our so called fake men of god prophecies they used in holding the people hostage, I will listen & take serious any advice given by scientist. sad sad

Re: Rain Destroys 200 Houses In Ondo, Ekiti by skyp(m): 6:55pm On Jan 24, 2013
Does it normally rain by January?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rejuvenating Abuja City Life, The Sandralia Way As Gold Water Party Holds / If You Had The Chance To Change Any Part Of Yourself, What Would It Be / Practice Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) Past Questions And Answers (download)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.