Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,352 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) (9993 Views)

Pictures : A cotton swab in A Cocked Bottle Of Pepsi .. POison / Where Can I Get Free Testing For Hiv / Pls Help, Is There Any Cure Or Precautions For Asthma Cough, Pls, Its Urgent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by kushbab(f): 1:56pm On Jan 23, 2013
Some samples taken from me shows that my 'dad' is not my biological father so i need to know if the mouth swab is a reliable way of determining DNA. I need responses from matured minds please. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 23, 2013
kushbab: Some samples taken from me shows that my 'dad' is not my biological father so i need to know if the mouth swab is a reliable way of determining DNA. I need responses from matured minds please. Thanks.

Human DNA is distributed throughout the human body and in the same identical form.The DNA in the blood is the same as that in te skin,muscle bone,teeth,cheek lining and other tissues.

The method used on you is the normal way of doing it..ie..collecting samples for paternity test.it is called Buccal Swab.it involves using cotton,sponge or dacron tip to collect the epithelial cells from the inside of your cheek.

Sample doesnt have to be blood.The result will still be the same regardless of the source,blood,buccal,teeth etc.

The reason buccal swab is used is because it is non-invasive and painless...lots of people are scared of needles,so its easier and more convenient to use the epithelial cells from the inside of your mouth.

Sorry for the disappointment of your discovery.

15 Likes

Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 23, 2013
na wah o... things dey happen sha.
ehen...shey there was one research dat says 70% of our first borns are bastards. hmm...
sorry Op, but are u d first born

1 Like

Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by kushbab(f): 6:17pm On Jan 23, 2013
mawojuuche: na wah o... things dey happen sha.
ehen...shey there was one research dat says 70% of our first borns are bastards. hmm...
sorry Op, but are u d first born
yeah bt my dad n mum ar married to diff people nd were never married to each other.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by kushbab(f): 6:31pm On Jan 23, 2013
the major thing bothering me nw is that he is angry and has told his relative to take me back formally to my mum's people and all the while i've been, he never allowed me visit my mum or her family members. Am very scared of hw am goin to cope considering that am in my final year.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 23, 2013
hmm odikwa selious
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Genius100: 9:05pm On Jan 23, 2013
kushbab: the major thing bothering me nw is that he is angry and has told his relative to take me back formally to my mum's people and all the while i've been, he never allowed me visit my mum or her family members. Am very scared of hw am goin to cope considering that am in my final year.

Mouth swab is the standard method. It may be worthwhile repeating it to rule out errors associated with using the wrong samples. It is definitely a lot for your dad to handle but hopefully he will calm down soon and continue to view you as his daughter or atleast his adopted daughter.

1 Like

Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by freecocoa(f): 9:06pm On Jan 23, 2013
Awww sorry about your discovery.

Just stay strong.

Brb.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Okijajuju1(m): 9:06pm On Jan 23, 2013
OP

Try taking samples from your childhood houseboy, Gateman, neighbour, The Pastor that prayed for your birth, etc..

Your mumsy don play away match be that!

1 Like

Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 23, 2013
Why did you take the test in the first place? Was it your dad who took the decision or yourself?

1 Like

Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by alaladakosta(f): 9:11pm On Jan 23, 2013
kushbab: Some samples taken from me shows that my 'dad' is not my biological father so i need to know if the mouth swab is a reliable way of determining DNA. I need responses from matured minds please. Thanks.

sorry oooooo. ur mum will know better,am not insunuating nothing o.just saying.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by manny4life(m): 9:11pm On Jan 23, 2013

IT IS RELIABLE.

How reliable? I don't but I know that's how paternity is done, they should retry it again.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Heatblast(m): 9:14pm On Jan 23, 2013
Okija_juju: OP

Try taking samples from your childhood houseboy, Gateman, neighbour, The Pastor that prayed for your birth, etc..

Your mumsy don play away match be that!

Lmao grin
@ op.. It is highly reliable o.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Bolt2011(m): 9:14pm On Jan 23, 2013
@ OP If you don't trust the buccal swab, I'll advice you go for a confirmatory test (blood DNA test). Best of luck

1 Like

Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by yuzedo: 9:14pm On Jan 23, 2013
Chei!!!! Gbege! grin cry

... Sweet that you still call him "dad".. (I guess) undecided
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by coogar: 9:15pm On Jan 23, 2013

mouth swab is very reliable but it does not mean the particular one you had was reliable. where was it taken and can you try another test elsewhere to reconfirm?
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Wallie(m): 9:21pm On Jan 23, 2013
kushbab: the major thing bothering me nw is that he is angry and has told his relative to take me back formally to my mum's people and all the while i've been, he never allowed me visit my mum or her family members. Am very scared of hw am goin to cope considering that am in my final year.

Tell your dad that your biological father, whom you have no interest in knowing, is just a sperm donor and your real father is the person that has raised and loved you all his life, your dad. You will be surprised the difference you can make in this issue by letting your father know that you truly do not care about your biological father, if that's indeed the case.

Being a father is more than just kick starting the conception of a baby. I’m sure your dad is hurting and probably feels betrayed by your mom but that’s really between the both of them and has nothing to do with you, especially since it seems you’re of age. Good luck!

26 Likes

Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by amor4ce(m): 9:23pm On Jan 23, 2013
How much do the DNA paternity tests like the OP's cost?
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by victorazy(m): 9:23pm On Jan 23, 2013
Plz any doctor in the house. plz how can i trace my biological parents, am curious. can my DNA tell the part of Nigeria i came from?
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by jmoore(m): 9:24pm On Jan 23, 2013
@op, DNA is DNA, anyone is reliable. No need for further testing, go and ask your mother she knows your biological father.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by aAK1(m): 9:24pm On Jan 23, 2013
Pls what dos it cost to do a dna test?
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by jmoore(m): 9:27pm On Jan 23, 2013
victorazy: Plz any doctor in the house. plz how can i trace my biological parents, am curious. can my DNA tell the part of Nigeria i came from?
Doctors can't trace your biological parents just like that, they need samples.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by victorazy(m): 9:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
jmoore:
Doctors can't trace your biological parents just like that, they need samples.
i mean if DNA can reveal something
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by amor4ce(m): 9:32pm On Jan 23, 2013
victorazy: Plz any doctor in the house. plz how can i trace my biological parents, am curious. can my DNA tell the part of Nigeria i came from?
Yes to the bolded
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by emiye(m): 9:33pm On Jan 23, 2013
Three of 10 men are not fathers of their ‘kids’, says DNA expert
Friday, 28 September 2012

Is paternity testing becoming an issue in Nigeria?

We have seen that there is serious need for it because in many homes things are happening that are scary both to the lives of children and their parents. And for the general statistics that is now available, it is found that three out of every ten men are not the fathers of their babies. Similarly, three out of every ten children are not fathered by men they have seen as their biological fathers. What we have found out is that, anytime we take ten men, at least three of them eventually found that they are not the fathers of the children they call their own. And these men would have taken care of the children for all their lives.

Now, the global statistics is 100, 000 out of every 300, 000 men. But what we have found that is that the situation is higher in Nigeria than other places. For example in our laboratory here, 50 per cent of the cases comes out negative. And we also realised that majority of the first-borns are affected. You only need to be here to see big men cry like little kids and watch children weep in agony. It has been that bad. And I dare say it is becoming something every home must do and you may be quite surprised at the level of dastard revelation.

About thirty per cent of fathers are unknowingly bringing up children who are not biologically theirs. And it is suspected that this percentage may be on the increase due to sexual recklessness. According to recent trends in sexual health, especially in Nigeria, it was suggested that unprotected sex and multiple partners are comparatively common occurrences with a large proportion of conceptions still unplanned. So, more than half, that is, 50 per cent of all paternity tests carried out by our lab comes out negative and the most affected are first-borns, except in a few cases.

Do these cases happen mostly in matrimonial settings or in casual relationships?

In both matrimony and casual affiliations! I tell you, we have had series of married men come here and go back home devastated. In one instance, a man came here with his wife. Out of the five children he thought were his own, he discovered that only two belonged to him. And they are both duly married, living together as husband and wife. You see, the major problem we have in our country is that most of these cases are not duly documented. So, people don't know we have such issues among us. In fact, some even don't know where to go for the test to determine their child or children's paternity. And I tell you, if you go to ten homes as we speak, you will be amazed to find that in almost all of them the children there do not belong to the men. It is that rampant.

If it is that rampant, how would you describe the three years since you started testing men?

Now, the general statistics by the American Association of Blood Banks is that globally, 100, 000 out of 300, 000 men are not the actual fathers of their presumed children. And like I said earlier, the Nigerian situation is even alarming. Also, Duess International, the condom manufacturers, once noted that Nigeria has the most reckless sexual life. So, you can then imagine what the outcome would be like if we say okay, let's start taking statistics one-by-one.

How many families do you attend to each week?

We test about 15 to 20 families. People come here as a result of various types of controversies over the paternity of certain children. You know, families have come to us with claims that a child neither takes after the mother nor the father in looks and character. So, the man of the house would be curious to ascertain facts. And when they come here with such children, the fears of the fathers have often been affirmed. Fathers usually have the doubts; maybe he has been hearing some rumours, and you know, men are often the last to hear such things about themselves. Until many of them come here to take the test, they have nurtured other men's children before realising it.

What does it take to do a paternity test?

Technology has made it so easy. It is just like any other deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) test. In less than two seconds, we take the sample from the man. We use the Helix Swabs like a "big cotton buds" to extract some cells from the man's mouth. We rub the 'Swab' up-and-down the mouth to get some epithelial cells from around the cheek bone. In the nucleus of every cell, there is DNA. Once we collect that, we purify, extract and then multiply it and get the genetic profile which we then send to DNA laboratory abroad for testing.

What happens in situations where DNA samples do not match as we saw with someDANA victims?

So many reasons could be responsible for that. We have had a case in which a boy went to an hospital to claim the body of his deceased dad and on testing him, it was found that he was not fathered by the dead man. The genetic profile of the boy does not match with that of the man he claimed to be his father. And DNAs don't lie. The medical experts conducting these tests have nothing personal against the people that come to them for testing. Every human being take half of the genetic profile from either parent. Therefore, it is a matter of case closed if the genetic profile of the living does not match with that of the dead man. He is simply not that father.

- thenationonlineng.net

I think it is very reliable, there must have been a mix up, not necessarily intentional from your mom.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by MicroBox: 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2013
@OP abeg why are you disturb? Pls write your exam like never before. Thank God you are in your finals get more busy with your studies and after your exams, pls enngage yourself in more chalenging skills till you go for your national assigment. From their establish your life. Home is not a place but the people and if the people are not their you forget about it,but not in totality.
Wish you Jonathan.

2 Likes

Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by jmoore(m): 9:37pm On Jan 23, 2013
victorazy:
i mean if DNA can reveal something
yes it can reveal many things but the tests done in Nigeria may be limited to only paternity test.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by Onlinebiz2012: 9:38pm On Jan 23, 2013
[img]http://learnweek.com/?r=agbeniga[/img] lol, make she come share me too oootistb
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by victorazy(m): 9:39pm On Jan 23, 2013
jmoore:
yes it can reveal many things but the tests done in Nigeria may be limited to only paternity test.
So i can do it ouside Nig when i travel out next winter
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by razznaija(f): 9:41pm On Jan 23, 2013
ehyah sorry o, I hope you are coping well with this new development.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by emiye(m): 9:42pm On Jan 23, 2013
a.A.K:
Pls what dos it cost to do a dna test?
Roughly N150,000 in Nigeria.
Re: Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) by jmoore(m): 9:44pm On Jan 23, 2013
victorazy:
So i can do it ouside Nig when i travel out next winter
you can but ask the doctors over there more about it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Air Pollution: Nigeria Ranks 4th Deadliest In The World / Niger Records First COVID-19 Death, confirms 8 new cases / Macaroot In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.