Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,099 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Java Or C++ - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Or C++ (3543 Views)

Should It Be Java Or Python For Game Development? / Programming Career In Either JAVA Or .NET / Web Service Using Java Or C# (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java Or C++ by JUNIT1(m): 8:07am On Mar 04, 2008
which is better to work with.

Re: Java Or C++ by SayoMarvel(m): 9:51am On Mar 04, 2008
Java is better. I've started working on c++ and even the way the language is written is disgusting.
Example:
C++ cout>>"i am a boy";
JAVA System.out.println("I am a boy"wink;

which is easier to memorize?

Java supports multi-threading in its standard libraries while c++ does not (though you can do that with some third-party libraries).

Talk of the GUI toolkits, plugable look and feel, e.t.c.
Talk of mobile application develoment, distributed softwares, java made it easier.
I can say it any where that JAVA is better than C++.
Re: Java Or C++ by SayoMarvel(m): 9:54am On Mar 04, 2008
let me not 4get to tell u dat u shuldn't have added that useless high resolution picture becos it made the page slower.
Re: Java Or C++ by candylips(m): 10:19am On Mar 04, 2008
It depends on what you are trying to do. All languagues have their advantages and disadvantages
Re: Java Or C++ by ETLDude: 11:12am On Mar 04, 2008
I concur with Sandylips, Depends on what you hope to achieve and how , Also, existing applications will play a big role,
after all said and done, all applications have their pros and cons,
SayoMarvel , a lot more constructive criticism would do and less vitriolic statements would suit our eyes,  grin

cheers,
Re: Java Or C++ by ThePhantom(m): 11:15am On Mar 04, 2008
I agree with candylips. It depends on what you are trying to develop. I like using Java for web base applets and I use C++ for desktop programs.
Re: Java Or C++ by DualCore1: 1:57pm On Mar 04, 2008
i see programming languages as different roads leading to one jungle. i can say i love the java lang cUz tht's what i waz brought up with, but dude, i go where the money goes its all about rapid app development. so if java gets me there first, java be it. if c++ will get me there first, c++ be it. nothing new in all languages, once u can use one OO language i think u can use other OO languages all ya need is getting the methods/functions and their corresponding syntax and implementation.

but all plus all, much respect to Java.
Re: Java Or C++ by kambo(m): 5:28pm On Mar 04, 2008
i'd advice u stick with C++ rather than java,the complexity u'll overcome will aid u in mastering other languages.
java is simpler, bECAUSE IT HIDES SO MUCH from than C++ would care. to . C++ lets u see things as they are,
and gives so many options that when u thru with learning it and when u master it,u'd be more versatile. infact u'd be worth 2 java programmers any day.
look at this.
java says
// System.out.println --- u type 18 character before u print any thing
on the other hand
C says,
cout --- 4 character. if ur writing a large program that will require 300 print outs,
u'd appreciate writing 'cout' than the long 'System.out.println' ,
java is bloated.
why?
because it is trying to SHEILD u from complexity, and in the process it makes u too ignorant of what's really going on
.C++ will not sheild u too much so u REALLY know the machine .the choice is urs.
simplicity that leaves u 80% more ignorant while u call urself a programmer
or
learning the nitty gritty the hard way and
being in ur league.
besides C++ is the OOP language for systems programming ,the other option is C, and ADA but ada isnt so popular,
with C++ u can write OS code and embedded systems. go for the best ,go for C++.
Re: Java Or C++ by kambo(m): 5:28pm On Mar 04, 2008
i'd advice  u stick with C++ rather than java,the complexity u'll overcome will aid u in mastering other languages.
java is simpler, bECAUSE IT HIDES SO MUCH from than C++ would care. to . C++ lets u see things as they are,
and gives so many options that when u thru with learning it and when u master it,u'd be more versatile. infact u'd be worth 2 java programmers any day.
look at this.
java says
// System.out.println  --- u type 18 character before u print any thing
on the other hand
       C says,
                   cout --- 4 character. if ur writing a large program that will require 300 print outs,
u'd appreciate writing 'cout' than the long 'System.out.println' ,
java is bloated.
why?
because it is trying to SHEILD u from complexity, and in the process it makes u too ignorant of what's really going on
.C++ will not sheild u too much so u REALLY know the machine .the choice is urs.
simplicity that leaves u 80% more ignorant while u call urself a programmer
or
learning the nitty gritty the hard way and
being in ur league.
besides C++ is the OOP language for systems programming ,the other option is C, and ADA but ada isnt so popular,
with C++ u can write OS code and embedded systems. go for the best ,go for C++.
Re: Java Or C++ by JUNIT1(m): 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2008
C++ HAS IT'S ADVANTAGES BUT EVERYONE KNOWS JAVA IS EASIER TO WORK WITH, MORE UNDERSTANDABLE, AND USER FRIENDLY, YOU DONT NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL TO LEARN HOW JAVA WORKS, OR WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK.
Re: Java Or C++ by hollandis(f): 10:30am On Mar 06, 2008
A Beginner should start with C++ ,one is bound to be discouraged ,if one commences with java
Re: Java Or C++ by Olumide7(m): 1:58pm On Mar 06, 2008
A beginner should actually start with Turbo or Qbasic, C++ will break ur bone if u attempt to go onto it directly. Any ways it depends on the level of expertise you wanna reach, if u wanna be a big time programmer u have to start with foundational programming languages. On the question on which one is better, I go for Java though I can work comfortably with both, but Java has some interesting features that will make one hate C++ like Java's automatic garbage collection, platform independence and my personal favourite, the ease of creating GUI's.
Re: Java Or C++ by candylips(m): 3:21pm On Mar 06, 2008
Learn C++ first then Java Second
Re: Java Or C++ by JUNIT1(m): 12:41pm On Mar 07, 2008
java has bo enums, that's one advantage c++ has over java, but enum's don't matter, i stil think java is better to work with.
Re: Java Or C++ by Zirconia(f): 12:23pm On Mar 10, 2008
I hear that Java is the most popular today and it might be taking over in the future, I personally feel it is handy to have both on your belt.

Check out the link below:

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
Re: Java Or C++ by Ghenghis(m): 7:08pm On Mar 10, 2008
@kambo

1) Java now has static imports so your statement is wrong 2)cout belongs in the std namespace so could qualify it as std::cout

I personally prefer Java cause its simpler and as such you can develop apps faster, but i also recognize that i can't for instance use Java in real time scenario (where deterministic processing is required)

I don't think the C++ complexity is there 'cause Bjarne intended it to be so, its there because of compromise hence you have references,pointers,normal values.
Newer languages tend to be cleaner than their ancestors, so Java borrowed a lot form C++(syntax wise).

And the man talking about GUI , have you heard of MFC,BWT, GTK, WxWindows etc ,

Unfortunately java left out some key concepts in programming for safety, i don't think C++ is ideal for starters
C is better then Java(i hate to say this , C#)

note they are all descended from the great language C
Re: Java Or C++ by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:31pm On Mar 10, 2008
Maybe i'll give C a shot certainly not C# i ain't into microsoft no more. Any recommendations on where to learn?
Re: Java Or C++ by na2day2(m): 5:26am On Mar 11, 2008
it depends on the project at hand. there are tones of things u can use "C" that java wont be appropriate to use. "C" is alot harder though, thats why i stick with C++ only, alot easier and i remember my commands in C++ than i do in java.
Re: Java Or C++ by javalove(m): 4:42pm On Mar 13, 2008
Hmmm, an interesting discussion. Java has its advantages and so does C++. Who says C++ is difficult, take dat back boi, Java is easier to learn and u write less codes and get more done ina little time. C++ on the other hand is also a very very powerful language and good too. If u create desktop applications with C++, u dont have to worry about virtual machine or all dat stuff but it still depends on wat u hope to achieve.

But guy, java is sick, ill and a very powerful language too, its java alld way
Re: Java Or C++ by JUNIT1(m): 5:46pm On Mar 13, 2008
i speak java, i eat java i breathe java, java is my life.
Re: Java Or C++ by echowords(m): 12:36am On May 03, 2008
where is the money??
Re: Java Or C++ by Bassie(m): 10:21am On May 03, 2008
Java is no doubt "simplier" than C++ in terms of learning curve and usage, but this simplicity does'nt dent it's Power. One of the advantages that C++ has over Java is that of Backwards compatibility(with C )- a major reason for it's complexity.It's all about what gets things done in a shorter time, n i bet u Java Pays when time's a factor. By the Way,If Java is simple, what will we say about C#?
Re: Java Or C++ by ebot: 6:34pm On May 05, 2008
Java and C++ are two statically typed languages, one derived from the other. IMHO, java is better but C++ is faster. I generally hate statically typed languages, Python, Ruby and Common Lisp are better programming languages.
Re: Java Or C++ by logica(m): 11:11pm On May 05, 2008
python, ruby, lisp = scripting languages => prototyping.

scripting languages r not suitable 4 real-time, real life applications, @ least not as the basis of the whole app, but may come in handy secondarily 2 enhance the user-experience (e.g javascript).
Re: Java Or C++ by javarules(m): 2:59pm On May 10, 2008
There are no super-programming-languages, we only have super-programmers, it depends on what you can do with it, see this post and you will understand what I mean http://ladokites.net/forum/index.php?topic=92.0

my 2cents
Re: Java Or C++ by c0dec(m): 6:40pm On May 11, 2008
ebot:

Java and C++ are two statically typed languages, one derived from the other. IMHO, java is better but C++ is faster. I generally hate statically typed languages, Python, Ruby and Common Lisp are better programming languages.

dynamically typed languages are a real pain in the a** to debug
Re: Java Or C++ by SmartK1(m): 10:41am On May 12, 2008
I like the topic: "Java or C++". The question is not which one is better.

Java was developed from C++. It depends on what you want to do. U may use any language of preference. But I must point out that the way it would be meaningless, and time-wasting to use assembly language to web app (in the year 2008) so it would be unthoughtful trying to use Java for device drivers.

In fairness, Java is more modern compared to C++ but C# is more modern compared to Java. In fact, new languages (or dervied languages) borrow or leverage on features of their parents and make them better.

So, Java or C++. Whichever. Giving the fact that we dont code machines in this country, I beleive we are nearer to Java, C#, VB, etc since we mostly develop business app.

Good luck.
Re: Java Or C++ by jennyjatt: 1:08pm On May 12, 2008
please do anybody have any info about Aptech or NIIT. i just want to know which is best and which is worth a life career. do they really teach? are there job offers? is it worth the money they are demanding? do Aptech or NIIT students have lots of job opportunities? please help.
Re: Java Or C++ by logica(m): 12:13am On May 13, 2008
@sbucareer

i don't quite understand. so if i use an acronym, a newbie cannot ask if he doesn't understand, or simply use google to find out?

let's be frank, programmers r generally autodidacts, & to develop in this area of specialization u have to be one. u have 2 develop the drive 2 learn by urself. u should not expect 2 be spoon-fed. i may sound harsh on the up and coming programmers, but the earlier they know this the better.
Re: Java Or C++ by Bassie(m): 6:36pm On May 16, 2008
Logica, i Agree totally with you.Passion is what drives one in the pursuit of knowledge, Ignorance is the greatest stimulus to learning
Re: Java Or C++ by ebot: 11:06pm On May 26, 2008
@ sbucareer
Unix is written in C not C++, just to be clear.
Re: Java Or C++ by sbucareer(f): 9:03pm On May 28, 2008

Thanks for the clarification, but what is the difference between C and C++?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There Any Programmers Left In Delta State / What's new in PHP 5 and PHP 6 / Are There Any C# Developers In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.