Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,903 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

How Do I Make A Java Prog Run At Startup? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do I Make A Java Prog Run At Startup? (2483 Views)

Top 5 Free Scala Prog. Books 4 Java Programmers, Download As PDF Or Read Online / Im A Java Expert Here To Teach Those Who Wants To Learn. / Java Prog That Converts Binary To Decimal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Make A Java Prog Run At Startup? by kambo(m): 9:16pm On Jan 25, 2013
the Q says it all. Give suggestions. OS windows.
Re: How Do I Make A Java Prog Run At Startup? by Fayimora(m): 1:29pm On Jan 26, 2013
Write a bat script that contains the command needed to start your program(make sure you use the full path to the source file). Place that bat script in your startup folder. I hate windows so I can't remember where the damn folder is but you could figure that out.

Note: You might want to use `javaw` as opposed to `java` to start the program.
Re: How Do I Make A Java Prog Run At Startup? by kambo(m): 3:13pm On Jan 26, 2013
thank you, i'll try that bat thing but I'm not sure it will work cuz i've tried similar strategies in the past. But i'll try. I couldve quit using windows long ago but both linux distros i installed were terribly hard to use imo, i saw Sudo in ubuntu with no explanation on the meaning. How am i suppose to know what it means? How do i install/uninstall an application? (with windows easy with ubuntu/fedora a convoluted process With no xplanation) .
Re: How Do I Make A Java Prog Run At Startup? by Fayimora(m): 8:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
Let me know how it goes. Post up the steps you took if something goes wrong. Quick Google search gave me this:

Yeah a transition from windows to a UNIX system is a big one. Personally, I was using Windows, Linux(Virtual Box and Uni computers) and Mac OSX all at once. That way I was able to easily try things out without getting frustrated. After realizing how much suffering i've been going through on Windows(after 3 weeks lol), I switched to a Mac.

I advise you do the same.. Install Ubuntu on VirtualBox. Try things out. If you need help understanding terminal commands, use `man`, short for manual. For instance, need help understanding sudo, just run `man sudo` and read! Youtube has a lot of short videos on how to use these commands too.. A lot of blog posts too. Google is also your friend.
Re: How Do I Make A Java Prog Run At Startup? by kambo(m): 11:19pm On Jan 27, 2013
i'll run the code on tuesday (2 days hence).
had a nasty experience last time i tried using ubuntu - had to do with documentation - how to perform basic tasks on windows on it like - how to install a new software( this was twisted), how to play music,videos , how to uninstall and the directory structure of ubuntu was un-natural . booting into ubuntu was ugly - i quickly got fed up and switched back to windows problem was the partitioned section of the drive i hosted ubuntu on was invisible to windows! .. linux , unix systems are terribly poorly documented for lay end users.
Re: How Do I Make A Java Prog Run At Startup? by kambo(m): 9:18pm On Feb 01, 2013
ok. Finally got the program to run but it was messy process. Steps. Create a .bat file that runs the java class 2.) create a shortcut to this bat file - a .lnk file aka symbol link file 3.) copy the .lnk file to start folder of your system ("rootdrive":/documents and settings/alluser/start programs (folder name has start in it) 4.) restart the system . When system starts, the console screen (batch file starts the app).
Re: How Do I Make A Java Prog Run At Startup? by lordZOUGA(m): 9:53pm On Feb 01, 2013
kambo: i'll run the code on tuesday (2 days hence).
had a nasty experience last time i tried using ubuntu - had to do with documentation - how to perform basic tasks on windows on it like - how to install a new software( this was twisted), how to play music,videos , how to uninstall and the directory structure of ubuntu was un-natural . booting into ubuntu was ugly - i quickly got fed up and switched back to windows problem was the partitioned section of the drive i hosted ubuntu on was invisible to windows! .. linux , unix systems are terribly poorly documented for lay end users.
please, the linux kernel is not poorly documented.. It just so happens that not everything can be done with a GUI..

(1) (Reply)

Get Jetbrains 1yr Premium License Key All Software / Bank Plus Core Banking Software/web App In Nigeria / Web Programming: Where Do I Start?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.