Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:28 AM

Vb.net Or C#.net - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Vb.net Or C#.net (2422 Views)

Beginning Microsoft C#.net / I Need A Help To Write A Simple Login Form Using Vb.net / Post Ur Vb 6.0 Questions Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vb.net Or C#.net by pafun(m): 10:59am On Mar 05, 2008
Which one of these two is
1. Easier to learn
2. More useful today in programming i.e more widely used and in demand .
3. More profitable on pay rate
Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by Olumide7(m): 12:26pm On Mar 05, 2008
As a programmer who works with both and a big fan of vb I'll say VB.NET is the answer to all three questions
Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by susuman: 4:56pm On Mar 13, 2008
If you are looking at developing applications that handle operations then settle for vb.net but if u need to get to hardware, network and other higher level programming, then I will recommend C#. Its up to u.
Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by Ghenghis(m): 11:52am On Mar 14, 2008
VB.NET is cool since its a .NET language but C# is the language of choice for .NET development.
Thats why Microsoft invented it , it has larger conformance to CLS than VB.NET.

I know many VB developers use VB.NET , this was why MS created it in the first place, to at least get VB developers onboard , unfortunately VB.NET turned out to be quite good,so the motivation to move to C# once you can use VB.NET is not strong ,

all that being said C# is still the language of choice, and its similarity to Java and C++ is no mistake ,

See what others think,
http://dn.codegear.com/article/31849

http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges/2006/08/29/27110
Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by Kobojunkie: 5:02am On Mar 15, 2008
There is absolutely no difference between the two when it comes to what you can do in code. Your choice of each will have to depend on personal need. They both use virtually the same .NET Libraries. There are no vb.NET library files that are omitted in C#. 

As for which is better, none.

As for which is easier, depends on your background. Someone with a Java background would find C# easier to learn but someone who is not from all that or even from a Cobol background might find Vb.NET easier to learn.  C# is similar to Java mostly in structure/syntax but when it comes down to it, the same class files available to a developer who codes C# is available to the one who codes VB.NET and so they can both create the same powerful applications using either language. I have never seen any code written in, say, C# that can not be translated easy to VB.NET, neither have I ever come across code written in VB.NET that can not be converted to C#.

When it comes to which is more widely used or more profitable on pay rate, that again depends on where you live and what information the employers in your area are privy to. Most employers hear from others or read of wonderful things someone was able to code in one language and they automatically assume that language is better than the others. In reality, that is all just rubbish.  You can actually get away with writing the core of your code in one language, compiling it and then using it with the other language later on in another project. That is one of the multi-language selling points of the whole .NET platform idea.

http://codebetter.com/blogs/darrell.norton/archive/2003/07/07/382.aspx

VB.NET vs C#: The Great .NET Language Debate
An email concerning .NET Languages prompted this reply from me:

I used to be a heavy VB.NET basher. I've been reading a lot on this issue lately (Introduction to .NET languages, VS.NET and Extending VS.NET, It's the Runtime Stupid, and Sam Gentile's Blog in general, among many others), I've seen the light (or maybe the darkness, who knows which?), and I am officially reversing my previous position.

It doesn't matter how much any given language diverges, it all gets compiled to MSIL. In the end, it is all about the CLR, not the language. If you can program with the .NET Framework, you should be able to pick up the syntax to a language very easily, i.e. no more than a week to be productive. What was harder to everyone here: learning to use braces and semicolons, or learning to use (or even comprehend!) the vast reaches of the .NET Framework? If I consume or include a library application in my project, do I care what language it was written in?

Someone whom I work with was complaining about DotNetNuke, the open source portal program. He is using it for a web site he is creating. Even though he does not NEED to even touch the source code since the project is extensible through modules written in any .NET language, he was complaining that it was not in C#!!! Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!

As noted recently on .NET Weblogs by Roy Osherove, employers are still myopically requiring 2 years VB.NET. I applied to a job with this requirement and they turned me down because I had 2+ years C#! Do we (or should we even) have to explain that we have 2 years experience in .NET, and that the language does not matter? The author of the second response (below) has been reading a book recently, Essential .NET, Volume I: The Common Language Runtime, and it is an awesome book from what little I have seen online and in the bookstore.  Anyway, I believe it is more important to study something like this book than it is to study a "pure" C# or VB.NET book.

Finally, in the grand scheme of things, using *any* .NET language is far better than using, say, Pascal, Assembly, or some other earlier-generation language.

The first response:

From what I've read about the future of C# as a language and the compiler enhancements it will get (e.g. generics, iterators, anonymous methods, etc.), I've also heard that VB.NET will get these as well (plus XML code commenting). If M$ would have kept these features exclusive to C#, then there would be more of a compelling reason to stay with C# . Either way, like you point out, you're going to end up with nearly identical MSIL code at compile time and, for the most part, the code will have little performance difference.

If you really want to get into truly advanced features and squeeze every last bit of power out of .NET, then you'd want to look at C++ and the managed extensions for .NET. Otherwise, in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't matter one way or the other.

My recommendation for everyone is to tailor your resume to the job requirements. If they want two years VB.NET, say you have it. If they want two years C#, no problem. Just change the keywords as necessary (INFO: Differences Between Visual Basic .NET and Visual C# .NET). The only thing to be leery of if working in a VB.NET shop is that the developers tend to carry a *lot* of "baggage" from VB6 with them.

I agree completely.  Part of the reason I initially championed C# over VB.NET is that having to rethink all of the syntax of a language induces you to rethink how you do everything in general.  I think this helped my team a lot when we first moved to .NET.  I see many hard-core VB6 programmers trying to do things the same way in .NET.  This makes their adjustment so much more difficult.  Things that used to be hard are easy. Things that used to be easy you can do a different way, which initially might seem difficult until you figure it out, and then it (usually) is as easy as before.

There was even a debate on this published recently in the MSDN magazine to help developers understand there is no need for such debate as in the end, it all comes down to what language you are more comfortable with and nothing more.
Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 11, 2014
Ayam here July 2014
Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by guente02(m): 10:18am On Jul 11, 2014
What im currently doing is learning the syntax of c#. But to be honest vb.net has a simpler syntax than c#.
Same Libraries Same Possibility...Its a matter of choice.

2 Likes

Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by BodyKiss(m): 5:24pm On Jul 14, 2014
guente02: What im currently doing is learning the syntax of c#. But to be honest vb.net has a simpler syntax than c#.
Same Libraries Same Possibility...Its a matter of choice.

C# has platform advantage over VB.NET. Possibilities are not the same.
Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 15, 2014
BodyKiss:

C# has platform advantage over VB.NET. Possibilities are not the same.

i don't understand, pls elaborate.

Its good to learn New(Old) things
Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by GoodBoi1(m): 10:41am On Jul 15, 2014
It depends on your background. If you're coming from VB6, VB.net; if your coming from C/C++/Java, C# is the way.
Re: Vb.net Or C#.net by MrMRGray: 10:49am On Jul 17, 2014
Hi All,

I am a C# developer in the UK and I would say that the learning curve for VB.Net is only slightly easier compared to C#. You have to remember that both languages are essentially the same underneath, inasmuch as they both sit on the CLR. So there are some intrinsic complexities shared between them (as well as other .Net compliant languages).

So Easier, only slightly by VB.Net

As for usefulness, there is a lot of 'religious' attitude about which language is better that that language etc, etc.

The truth is, it really depends upon what you are doing with the language, because you should be smart and use the language for the strengths it possesses and adds to the potential of your project. C# has few features that VB.Net does not, but that may well be equally true of the inverse, but I cannot be sure. The long and short of it is, they are both useful and their comparable usefulness is most likely negligible, although I would edge toward C#.

In the UK, you will find 9 jobs out of 10 that require C#. It is a fact that there are simply more jobs requiring C# and this trend is global not just here in the UK, Nigeria will go the same way I promise you (unless a better language supersedes it). If you look at the job boards here in the UK (again indicative of the global market) C# contract jobs are very wide spread and usually pay in excess of £350 per day, approximately N100000 per day. In fact, using one of the popular job boards that I frequent, the daily rate for only 1 found VB.net job offered £300-£350 per day. If I search for a C# job then I have 8 jobs in the result list with £600 per day as the highest value and £320 as the lowest. I know this is not pure science but it is indicative. This will of course be different in Nigeria as your economy is on a different level and I observe that IT is not valued as high as it is in the West, for the time being.

I say again, without doubt, if you want to earn serious money C# will provide you with more opportunity, VB.Net will provide opportunity too but far fewer.

Finally, my own little thought, if I may; until IT is truly valued in Nigeria by the project sponsors, the pay scale will be small. The dot com boom experienced in the West is starting in Nigeria (the economic centre of Africa don't forget) be in the right place at the right time. More pay = more innovation, more innovation = more spotlight on Nigeria, this will equal more jobs, more competition, and will increase pay to the developers who will be in high demand.

(1) (Reply)

Www.buyvcc.com Is Scam He Is Big Thief In Nairaland / Programmers' Joke Picked Off The Net / C++/python/qt Or .net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.