Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,209 members, 7,867,510 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:27 PM

Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport (7972 Views)

3 Men Ride From Bauchi To Sokoto To Honour Governor-elect / Bauchi To Begin Work On 120MW Yankari Power Plant / Bauchi To Build 140MW Power Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:25pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

I don't know what class of runway you wanna build, but ok

I NEVER argued that it's ONLY states with oil should build one, I've always argued on viability and sustainability.

Right now, all you have said is true, but mere theory... let's forget about the theories and focus on actuality

Per my question, I really wanna know what your thoughts are - do you honestly believe that Bauchi can make enough to cover its expense?
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/154910/

Just read that and see what I mean when I said that sum was small for a runway because the revenue you make from runways is a function of other things but major your Pavement Classification Number PCN and Aircraft Classification number,ACN.Also, having navigational aid to landing and take off also bring in money! On average it cost about €40 per landings four some of the least heavy aircraft.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

An 8-lane projection is simply based on the "right now" demand and potential future, there are more cars and besides, the govt isn't doing this to achieve any revenue from it but rather an infrastructural development. I bet if you billed everyone who traveled on that road, it will definitely pay for itself on the first day.

You're not suggesting that an airport in Bauchi is a needed infrastructure, are you?
I corroborated my earlier submission that an infrastructural investment in the now can translate to great savings in the future, so by making such a move now, building a runway that can serve the state for at least 20years with control tower and proper communication gadgets, He might be saving the state some future expedition should the state have to build it later out of necessity!
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/154910/

Just read that and see what I mean when I said that sum was small for a runway because the revenue you make from runways is a function of other things but major your Pavement Classification Number PCN and Aircraft Classification number,ACN.Also, having navigational aid to landing and take off also bring in money! On average it cost about €40 per landings four some of the least heavy aircraft.

Bros, stop bringing me info from Airliners.net

I have come to find out that that website isn't really reliable.

I'm aware of what your have listed and in addition to aircraft landing, I'm aware of landing fees. Here in the U.S. some airports charge $4 while some charge $5 per 1,000lbs. Yes I'm aware of that what I'm disagreeing with you is the runway cost. Unless you want to be ATL who spent $1bbillion for a runway,I think FAA will provide more detailed information.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:31pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Bros, stop bringing me info from Airliners.net

I have come to find out that that website isn't really reliable.

In addition to aircraft landing, I'm aware of landing fees. Here in the U.S. some airports charge $4 while some charge $5 per 1,000lbs. Yes I'm aware of that what I'm disagreeing with you is the runway cost. Unless you want to be ATL who spent $1bbillion for a runway,I think FAA will provide more detailed information.
All I am pointing out to you is that if you want to build a runway that can handle the heaviest of the aircraft out there, then $40m will just about put the first layer on with white markings wink

Oh by the way, Airliners.net is not some site where you post nonsense, that forum is frequented by those that make the world of aviation go round and if you know your stuff you will easily tell those who are peddling falsehood.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:32pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
I corroborated my earlier submission that an infrastructural investment in the now can translate to great savings in the future, so by making such a move now, building a runway that can serve the state for at least 20years with control tower and proper communication gadgets, He might be saving the state some future expedition should the state have to build it later out of necessity!

WOW, so he's undertaking a less needed infrastructural need compared to the other?

So I guess, he builds an airports, continues to fund it annually with several hundreds of million of Naira (that should be used to drive the economy) till the airport is viable just because of the savings in the future. Is that your argument?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:34pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

WOW, so he's undertaking a less needed infrastructural need compared to the other?

So I guess, he builds an airports, continues to fund it annually with several hundreds of million of Naira (that should be used to drive the economy) till the airport is viable just because of the savings in the future. Is that your argument?
My point is this, if a business case has been presented that necessitated the airport being built now, so be it. Sometimes you have to take a risk into investing infrastructure and try to make things happen with your investment.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:34pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
All I am pointing out to you is that if you want to build a runway that can handle the heaviest of the aircraft out there, then $40m will just about put the first layer on with white markings wink

How do you mean "heaviest" of all aircraft? Isn't it same ILS that lands a 737 lands a 747? Please educate me a lil? I'm lost to how you mean, I mean, is there something special amongst these aircraft with their lading system?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:39pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

How do you mean "heaviest" of all aircraft? Isn't it same ILS that lands a 737 lands a 747? Please educate me a lil? I'm lost to how you mean, I mean, is there something special amongst these aircraft with their lading system?
ILS is just a navigation system like you know. Your runway pavement bearing stress determines the landing load factor it can handle. So if your runway is constructed cheaply then you will be able to handle only a certain landing load factor. And let me add that the load factor you can handle will determine the amount of revenue you get from your runway.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:40pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
My point is this, if a business case has been presented that necessitated the airport being built now, so be it. Sometimes you have to take a risk into investing infrastructure and try to make things happen with your investment.

Hmm, while I understand your argument, but for a state like Bauchi, you will ignore all other critical infrastrutures to build one that's its viabilitty is on limbo. The reason why I asked using the amortization example is because, to me, financially, it does not make any sense

If you borrowed money $40million, not only is the govt paying $2million annually, + they're are actually funding the airports (say another $1million annually) = $3million. If eventually 5years down the road it becomes viable, you would have deprived your state of $15million... WAS IT WORTH IT? If you empowered Bauchians with $15million, won't the economy be robust by 5x?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:44pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Hmm, while I understand your argument, but for a state like Bauchi, you will ignore all other critical infrastrutures to build one that's its viabilitty is on limbo. The reason why I asked using the amortization example is because, to me, financially, it does not make any sense

If you borrowed money $40million, not only is the govt paying $2million annually, + they're are actually funding the airports (say another $1million annually) = $3million. If eventually 5years down the road it becomes viable, you would have deprived your state of $15million... WAS IT WORTH IT? If you empowered Bauchians with $15million, won't the economy be robust by 5x?
Well you can't be that sure the government borrowed the money. Remember recently, AfDB talked about grant for Nigeria aviation sector, and one of them might just be Bauchi state, but I do not know either.

We can all speculate, but let leave this to the state government because I am sure they government would have spent that amount on something more pressing if the money was not coming cheap. Come to think of it, did it not cost Delta state over 20bn Naira for the Asaba airport?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:45pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
ILS is just a navigation system like you know. Your runway pavement bearing stress determines the landing load factor it can handle. So if your runway is constructed cheaply then you will be able to handle only a certain landing load factor.

So now, it's not the navigation system but the pavement stress of handling a heavier aircraft? Ok, you just have to be more specific because I thought you were tryna say that it's the navigating ILS system....Anyway, what's the worse case it will handle, 1million pound of an A380?

I was watching modern marvels three days ago, and they use foam (treated differently) to build roads and runways depending on your stress limit requirement and I was shocked. My bottom line is, regardless of how much stress you're budgeting for, even a local runway can land a 747 when diverted.

I still don't believe you need all that much for a runway... IMO, I think I can ask for data to correspond to what you're saying.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
Wow, once again I'm learning a lot. It's funny that Bauchi State has all this publicity grin
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Well you can't be that sure the government borrowed the money. Remember recently, AfDB talked about grant for Nigeria aviation sector, and one of them might just be Bauchi state, but I do not know either.

We can all speculate, but let leave this to the state government because I am sure they government would have spent that amount on something more pressing if the money was not coming cheap. Come to think of it, did it not cost Delta state over 20bn Naira for the Asaba airport?

Oh well, it is what it is...If Africa's Dev Bank wants to give them money (obviously repayable grant), then good for them. I'll be here when it's all said and done, hopefully they know what they're getting into

Asaba airport? Can you see how it's looking? What was the passenger volume for last year? How many thousands of flights landed there monthly?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:50pm On Jan 28, 2013
@Omo,

I respect your opinion and reasoning, and yeah, you're very sound in aviation... Thinking about going back to aviation full time, but on the issue of Bauchi, as someone who works numbers, personally, I just don't see it... IMO

Let's electronically shake hands to agree not to disagree (if I made any sense) grin grin grin grin
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

So now, it's not the navigation system but the pavement stress of handling a heavier aircraft? Ok, you just have to be more specific because I thought you were tryna say that it's the navigating ILS system....Anyway, what's the worse case it will handle, 1million pound of an A380?

I was watching modern marvels three days ago, and they use foam (treated differently) to build roads and runways depending on your stress limit requirement and I was shocked. My bottom line is, regardless of how much stress you're budgeting for, even a local runway can land a 747 when diverted.

I still don't believe you need all that much for a runway... IMO, I think I can ask for data to correspond to what you're saying.
It is not just the case that a runway can land a B747 when it's OWE. Here we are talking of a runway landing a B747 when it is overweight landing! Not that many airport around the world can handle such a landing load factor that is why you see B747 and A380 cannot land in certain airports, although for A380 is is largely due to her double decker size with requirements for super gateways.

But what I am driving at is this, if you want your runway to be able to handle high landing load factor, then you would have to thicken it up just like you would do if you were constructing a truck route used for cross-border trucking than you would for a trunk B road.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
It is not just the case that a runway can land a B747 when it's OWE. Here we are talking of a runway landing a B747 when it is overweight landing! Not that many airport around the world can handle such a landing load factor that is why you see B747 and A380 cannot land in certain airports, although for A380 is is largely due to her double decker size with requirements for super gateways.

But what I am driving at is this, if you want your runway to be able to handle high landing load factor, then you would have to thickness it up just like you would do if you were constructing a truck route used for cross-border trucking than you would for a trunk B road.

The Bauchi runway could be like 10-15 inches thick.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:55pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life: @Omo,

I respect your opinion and reasoning, and yeah, you're very sound in aviation... Thinking about going back to aviation full time, but on the issue of Bauchi, as someone who works numbers, personally, I just don't see it... IMO

Let's electronically shake hands to agree not to disagree (if I made any sense) grin grin grin grin
It's always okay to agree to disagree. Like I said, opinions are what they are, valid in the eyes of who owns them. But it's all good that people can see merits and demerit of what a government intends to do or is doing.

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
CFCfan:

The Bauchi runway could be like 10-15 inches thick.
How did you come up with this? Do you have access to the any data that can shed more light on this?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 12:02am On Jan 29, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
How did you come up with this? Do you have access to the any data that can shed more light on this?

I said 'could'; not sure the State govt would do that though. cool.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 2:43am On Jan 29, 2013

FOUNDATION LAYING CEREMONY OF BAUCHI STATE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN BAUCHI

How do you say Bauchi o ni baje in Hausa? lol.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 2:57am On Jan 29, 2013

Saad Zungur Primary School

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 3:00am On Jan 29, 2013

Yankari Game Reserve
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 3:01am On Jan 29, 2013

Independent Power Project
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 3:04am On Jan 29, 2013
Road Construction

In an effort to ensure easy movement of people and goods from the rural to urban areas in the state, government embarked on the construction of 65km Azare-lsawa-Giade-Kurba-Basirka road, 88km Alkaleri - Futuk road, and 113km Ningi - Burra road. Contracts for these projects were while work has reached advanced stages. The Azare - Isawa - Giade stage of the project has been completed; work on the other two projects has reached advanced staged. The administration also embarked on the construction of offices for political appointees, renovation of Commissioners' Quarters, renovation of four grounded fire fighting vehicles, renovation of Bauchi airport terminal,

Repair works of washouts at Luggudi/Bawari and Burga as well as Misau/Hardawa roads. Government is also handling the preparatory work for the development of Bauchi International Airport with two Engineers from the Ministry sponsored for post graduate diploma Earo Dome engineering course at the Singapore Aviation Academy.

Furthermore, in an effort to boost our transportation sector, government purchased twenty 14-seater buses, 10 Canter Vans, 2 Peugeot Partner, 1 Ambulance, 1 Towing Vehicle and 1 Toyota Corolla to serve the state flout and also to purchase two Macopolo buses and additional twenty 18-seater Busses in the 2009 fiscal year for the state transports company, Yankari Express.

"Roads provide the main source of transportation of people, goods and services in the state. It has been our policy to increase the road network so as to improve both commercial and agricultural activities."

To this end, this administration carried out the construction, upgrading and rehabilitation of major roads in the state which include the following:

- Ningi – Burra Road (113km)

- Alkaleri – Futuk Road (88km)

- Azare – Isawa – Giade Road (65km)

- Rishi – Panama – Tama Road (100km)

- Construction of Tapshin Brigde

- Gamawa – Alagarno – Sabon gari Road (30km)

- Soro – Miya Road (56km)

- Alkaleri - Gwaram Road (4km)
- Bauchi Township Roads (several)
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 3:07am On Jan 29, 2013
Healthcare Delivery

"You will recall that our priority in the Health Sector was to focus on preventive approach to Health Care Delivery System as well as the rehabilitation of Health Care infrastructure in the state. The objective was to reduce the prevalence of common killer diseases including Tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, Polio and Malaria in the state. We inherited dilapidated hospitals, inadequate staffing and lack of functional equipments in most of our hospitals."
The government achievements are as follows:
- Within the first 100 days in office of this administration, 3 most dilapidated hospitals in the state were earmarked for reconstruction i.e T/Balewa, Kafin Madaki and Katagum (Zaki) Hospitals. As at today, T/Balewa Hospital has since been completed and commissioned while Kafin Madaki has reached 90% completion and Katagum (Zaki) Hospital is still under construction.
- Strengthening the capacity of the Health Care Delivery System by establishing a number of agencies; Hospital Management Board, Primary Health Care Development Agency (PHCDA) and Agency for the Control of HIV/AIDS, Leprosy, Tuberculosis and Malaria (BACATMA).
- The state government has also embarked on the renovation, rehabilitation and ompletion of the following hospitals:
- General Hospital, Azare - completed
- General Hospital, Giade - completed
- General Hospital, Bogoro - completed
- General Hospital, Jama’are - completed
- General Hospital, Ningi - completed
- General Hospital, Toro - completed
- General Hospital, Gamawa - on - going
- General Hospital, Dambam - on - going
- General Hospital, Bayara - on - going
- General Hospital, Misau - on - going
- General Hospital, Shira - on - going
- General Hospital, Itas - on – going
- Provision of water schemes in all Hospitals and Health care institutions across the state.
- Recruitment of Doctors from Egypt to complement the existing ones.
- Renovation and equipping of Health Care training Institutions in the state including School of Nursing, School of Midwifery and School of Health Technology.
- Upgrading of the facilities of Bauchi State Specialist Hospital prior to its conversion to a Teaching Hospital.
- Construction and Equipping of Maternity Health Centres all over state under the MDG programmes.
- Achievement of 97% Polio and Routine Immunization coverage in the state.
- Procurement of new ambulances to all the existing hospitals in the state.
- Introduction of Free Medical Care for pregnant and nursing women and children under the age of 5 years.
- Provision and installation of new generating sets to all existing hospitals in the state with regular fuelling.
- Entering into Public Private Partnership with Neimeth Pharmaceuticals to enhamce steady supply of drugs to all hospitals.
- Construction and equipping the Bauchi Specialist Hospital Intensive Care Unit.
- Provision of 3 three Operating Theatres in the Hospital.
- Introduction of Bus Service To and Fro the Specialist Hospital.
- Completion of the abandoned Pediatric Male and Female wards.
- Constructing and Equipping new accident and emergency centres to meet FIFA standard for World Cup Hosting.
- VVF Centre established in Ningi by USAID – now under rehabilitation.
- Construction and Equipping of 1002 Primary Health Centre (PHCs) and Maternity Centres.
- Establishment of a Clinic and Physiotherapy Centre in Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Stadium, Bauchi.
- Equipping of Physiotherapy Centre at Bauchi Specialist Hospital.
- Introduction of a new salary package for Health workers in the state (CONTISS).
- Implementation of National Health Insurance Scheme in the state.
- Establishment of “a state of the art” Dialysis Centre at ATBU Teaching Hospital, Bauchi.
- Facilitated the establishment of Specialist Eye Clinic in partnership with Albasar Foundation at Kobi Street – Bauchi.
- Negotiation for the establishment of Pediatric Cardiac Centre in Bauchi has been concluded with Internal Relief Organization in Saudi Arabia.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 3:12am On Jan 29, 2013
This is definitely one state that's powering forward positively in the right direction..

They are on the right track...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by dayokanu(m): 3:17am On Jan 29, 2013
Bauchi ko ni baje ooo
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 3:18am On Jan 29, 2013
Bauchi to build heart hospital

Bauchi State government is to build a world class hospital to treat heart diseases.

Governor Isa Yuguda told a team of Saudi Arabian officials, who visited on the proposed hospital, that the centre initially meant to be a paediatric centre for the treatment of children with heart diseases, has been converted to a cardiac centre to include adults because of the growing rate of heart-related problems.

The hospital, which is expected to begin operation next year is being sponsored by Euroson, a German international non-governmental Organisation (NGO), in conjunction with the United Nations. They will sponsor the project with the Saudi Arabian officials who will supply latest equipment in the treatment of disease.

Yuguda, who pledged his government’s commitment to reforms in the health sector, said the centre, which will be named Bauchi State Cardiac Centre, ‘will charge concessional fees for operation and will strive to keep many of the patients alive as its compliance will be based on the best practices of the world in health care.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/health/37373-bauchi-to-build-heart-hospital.html
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 3:47am On Jan 29, 2013
dayokanu: Bauchi ko ni baje ooo

O baje ti.

Funny how the resident haters and anti development people are here spewing their negativity, but the same people sit here everyday crying and begging their useless federal government to paint their dirty village airport.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/669485_enugu_Int_Airport_jpg8fb7976e786e47b3ae5db1ef57a9b14f

It's the same hate jealousy and bigotry if it's not in their village..
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 5:38am On Jan 29, 2013
@Eko Ile: Those are nice pics of devt going on in Bauchi; but remember that Bauchi has a PDP governor cool
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 6:00am On Jan 29, 2013
CFCfan: @Eko Ile: Those are nice pics of devt going on in Bauchi; but remember that Bauchi has a PDP governor cool

I don't care what political party you belong to as long as you deliver on behalf of the electorates that voted for you.

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 6:01am On Jan 29, 2013
PDP or no PDP, the bigots on NL don't care, they diss and castigate these Northern states regardless even though all their own states have to offer the electorates is nothing, I mean nothing..maybe roundabouts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The APC Members Lounge / Nigeria Is An Islamic Nation, The Unknown Handover Done By Babangida / See what just happened to Radio Biafra PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.