Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,037 members, 7,866,926 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:19 AM

Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport (7967 Views)

3 Men Ride From Bauchi To Sokoto To Honour Governor-elect / Bauchi To Begin Work On 120MW Yankari Power Plant / Bauchi To Build 140MW Power Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:15pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

Somebody wrote up there there is Only one flight into and out of Bauchi a week,in a lucky week
Is that a place that needs an airport let alone an international one?
What you have failed to. Realise is you don't wish for things to happen in life, you make them happen! That only one flight makes it to the current airport does not mean that they cannot improve on that by having an international airport.

Do you know how big Bauchi is? Do you think every state will remain a village forever? It will only take another visionary leader to sort things out I that state and lo everyone wants to go to Bauchi! I am sure couple of years ago when Akwa-Ibom wanted to build an international airport, people scream high heaven, but today people fly direct to Uyo to go things happening there and that has brought some revenues to the state!

Think about a tomorrow !
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

The bold is the keyword.

Look at that
Then they sink billions into a plan
Why not harness the resources first
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
What you have failed to. Realise is you don't wish for things to happen in life, you make them happen! That only one flight makes it to the current airport does not mean that they cannot improve on that by having an international airport.

Do you know how big Bauchi is? Do you think every state will remain a village forever? It will only take another visionary leader to sort things out I that state and lo everyone wants to go to Bauchi! I am sure couple of years ago when Akwa-Ibom wanted to build an international airport, people scream high heaven, but today people fly direct to Uyo to go things happening there and that has brought some revenues to the state!

Think about a tomorrow !

Honey who is going to Bauchi?
There is already an airport in Bauchi and it is not enough to fill up a plane for a weekly flight let alone daily
Akwa Ibom is an oil rich state,there is need for an airport there and it will be busy and it is
bauchi has an airport built 20 years prior to Akwa Ibom airport and yet no flights are going there
Is it an international airport that will bring the flights?
From where?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:19pm On Jan 28, 2013
CFCfan: ^^^
With Kano, Jos and Gombe have airports, the economic viability of Bauchi's airport is seriously in doubt. If the Bauchi govt is merely upgrading the existing airstrip, that would be a different story altogether.
The economic viability of any airport is dependent on the opportunities the host communities, cities and town present to people will to splash their cash! If you ever have been to Seville in Spain, you would understand why I am speaking this way.

I mean, just go on one of those holidays here in Europe, and see the places with International Airport at handle passengers barely less than 1million every year but the local economy is booming with the visitors foreign cash!
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:23pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

Do you know the same question you are asking was what someone raised when Lagos was mentioned in my office. To the surprise of those around, one of our directors said, oh actually we have float chartered flights into Lagos on several occasions for business.

Like I said, the opportunities don't "happen" in themselves, you make them happen by creating the enabling environment. Again, if that money is truly spent on the Airport construction, don't you think the local economy will get a huge boost? What pulse would it have served if the governor stole the 9.7bn Naira and hide it in a foreign account?

I think it would be better if energy is channeled to making sure that the project is completed as specified and the right amount spent judiciously!
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
The economic viability of any airport is dependent on the opportunities the host communities, cities and town present to people will to splash their cash! If you ever have been to Seville in Spain, you would understand why I am speaking this way.

I mean, just go on one of those holidays here in Europe, and see the places with International Airport at handle passengers barely less than 1million every year but the local economy is booming with the visitors foreign cash!

You've stated some good points, but we aren't sure if Bauchi State presently has a high volume of economic activity/GDP. International flights would also depend on the willingness of airlines to use the airport. Apart from KLM and Lufthansa, there are no other major airlines that fly to destinations other than Lagos and Abuja.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:25pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

There is already an airport in Bauchi and it is not enough to fill up a plane for a weekkly light let alone daily
Akwa Ibom is an oil rich state,there is need for an airport there and it will be busy and it is
bauchi has an airport built 20 years prior to Akwa Ibom airport and yet no lights are going there
Is it an international airport that will bring the flights?
From where?

Question is, do you know why the governor choose not to renovate the old airport? Could it be that the airport is FG owned and all effort to get FG to cooperate with the state to revive it failed?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 9:26pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

Think about a tomorrow !

Shortsighted people can not think about and provide for tomorrow because they are mentally bogged down with yesterday and this is one of the reason why Nigeria is so backward. We have present leaders and the so called leaders of tomorrow going through life with no vision, no hopes or aspiration to do better, become anything or hand over anything for the next generation to improve on.

The fact that the past was past doesn't mean you should sit on your hands and not move forward and do better.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

That is walking backwards
It is bad business sense
There is no market for another airport,the little they have is underutilized
You create the environment for business
Provide the amenities needed then when you see your current space busting at the seams you build a new one
Let them attract enough tourism to have a 2 flights a week
Daily flights
3,4,5,6 flights in and out of Bauchi daily
Then they will upgrade
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 9:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

Isn't that the who idea, Bauchi for now isn't economically viable whether it's tourism, agriculture, banking or whatever. It isn't just there. Going by your example, they may have less than 1million passengers monthly, but the airport is running very low. At least there's activity from the tens of thousands to the hundreds of thousands. A small passenger airport with INT designation, with a $5 PFC can sustain the airport. Add rentals, royalties, sales et al, and you're in business. What's in contention is the viability.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

Shortsighted people can not think about and provide for tomorrow because they are mentally bogged down with yesterday and this is one of the reason why Nigeria is so backward. We have present leaders and the so called leaders of tomorrow going through life with no vision, no hopes or aspiration to do better, become anything or hand over anything for the next generation to improve on.

The fact that the past was past doesn't mean you should sit on your hands and not move forward and do better.

If there is an upsurge in economic activity in Bauchi, then the airport could be a profitable venture. Also, if there is massive migration of people from Kano and Jos to Bauchi, that can also boost activities at Bauchi's new airport.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
CFCfan:

You've stated some good points, but we aren't sure if Bauchi State presently has a high volume of economic activity/GDP. International flights would also depend on the willingness of airlines to use the airport. Apart from KLM and Lufthansa, there are no other major airlines that fly to destinations other than Lagos and Abuja.
Point of correction, that an airport is named international does not mean international flight from Europe is what the airport will be handling! There are several countries in Africa growing rapidly, and the people would want to expand their frontiers as their pocket swells. Bauchi preparing herself in time will avail her the opportunity to play host to these people by providing a direct flight to the capital.

Also, I do not know about you, but I continue to see a Nigeria with a generation so intermixed that some people will have two places as their home just like some of us today can fly from London to Newcastle or even Edinburgh fora weekend visit!
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 28, 2013
No businessman starts thinking of starting off a business and without even one customer you go out and hire a 20 garage sized warehouse and hire a bunch of staff.
That is foolishness
You will be bankrupt before you ever started
You increase your space as your business grows,likewise your staff.
That is what every intelligent business man does
Some actually start off from their homes and eventually hire a store front
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

That is walking backwards
It is bad business sense
There is no market for another airport,the little they have is underutilized
You create the environment for business
Provide the amenities needed then when you see your urgent space busting at the seams you build a new one
Let them attract enough tourism to have a 2 flights a week

LWKMD! grin grin
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:34pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Isn't that the who idea, Bauchi for now isn't economically viable whether it's tourism, agriculture, banking or whatever. It isn't just there. Going by your example, they may have less than 1million passengers monthly, but the airport is running very low. At least there's activity from the tens of thousands to the hundreds of thousands. A small passenger airport with INT designation, with a $5 PFC can sustain the airport. Add rentals, royalties, sales et al, and you're in business. What's in contention is the viability.
If I have to say this a million times, I will. You don't sit brand let opportunities present themselves, you make them happen! First, having a direct connection between your capital and anywhere around the world is a huge boost! Bauchi has so much to offer but like most states in Nigeria, they are yet to be lead by a visionary leader who can harness the potentials of the state

I do not know how we'll you know the UK but you need to see some places that have international airport built and they handle less than 1m flight yearly!
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Point of correction, that an airport is named international does not mean international flight from Europe is what the airport will be handling! There are several countries in Africa growing rapidly, and the people would want to expand their frontiers as their pocket swells. Bauchi preparing herself in time will avail her the opportunity to play host to these people by providing a direct flight to the capital.

Also, I do not know about you, but I continue to see a Nigeria with a generation so intermixed that some people will have two places as their home just like some of us today can fly from London to Newcastle or even Edinburgh fora weekend visit!

I'm all for the expansion of aviation business in Nigeria; but as Babyosisi said, the current airport has very few domestic flights (sometimes 1 flight a week lol). The first priority would be to market Bauchi as to other Nigerians as a nice destination, before expanding their frontiers to the outside world.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 9:36pm On Jan 28, 2013
CFCfan:

You can not blame them for trying to correct and attain the same thing you keep saying they don't have.

How do you generate economic activity if you don't invest and tap into what you have as assets?

Wildlife tourism is Kenya's 2nd source of income and this is because they invested in and developed their wildlife industry. They tapped into that natural resources in their backyard.

If in 2000, 20,000 international visitors visited their underdeveloped game reserves with no international airport, imagine what they can do today with a good airport for international tourists to fly directly into with hotels and other facilities like they have in other game reserves.

This is a gold mine for them and this is a major step in the right direction.

Doom and gloom with negativity achieves nothing but continued doom and gloom.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:37pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi: No businessman starts thinking of starting off a business and without even one customer you go out and hire a 20 garage sized warehouse and hire a bunch of staff.
That is foolishness
If the founders of Facebook, google, twitter etc had this kind of a mind set, they will never have come to light. I understand where you are coming from because in Nigeria, we have been made to believe that to eat, you must have you bread baked and buttered for you, so no need to figure out how bread can be baked differently!
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 28, 2013
CFCfan:
LWKMD! grin grin

grin grin grin grin
No be so?

How can folks wey no fit fill up one kabu kabu aircraft with 40 people once a week attract a jet liner carrying hundreds?
Is it spirits that will fill up the seats?

Statistics says MMA is underutilized
To make money they need more flights coming in than they currently do
I have read that somewhere

And somebody wants to tell me that Bauchi airport will fill up one jet daily when currently they cannot fill up a small craft weekly

Kano has a good international airport that is laying fallow
The busiest time is during Hajj
Most people there still fly out of Lagos and Abuja
If Kano,a city maybe 4 times larger than Bauchi is struggling with attracting daily flights from international locations,how will Bauchi?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:40pm On Jan 28, 2013
CFCfan:

I'm all for the expansion of aviation business in Nigeria; but as Babyosisi said, the current airport has very few domestic flights (sometimes 1 flight a week lol). The first priority would be to market Bauchi as to other Nigerians as a nice destination, before expanding their frontiers to the outside world.

How do you market a place without reach? Or don't you see on those holiday adverts that the first or last thing they show you is how easy it is for you to get there without stress relax yourself and head out when you are done!

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 28, 2013
@ Eko Ile: I agree. But firstly, the FG has to improve security in the area, since the Governor has no control over the Police. Or alternatively, the states should be allowed to establish their own police departments. If security is improved (Boko haram threat is greatly minimised), the State would be a favorite holiday destination

*The bolded should be another opportunity for u to bash GEJ* grin
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
If the founders of Facebook, google, twitter etc had this kind of a mind set, they will never have come to light. I understand where you are coming from because in Nigeria, we have been made to believe that to eat, you must have you bread baked and buttered for you, so no need to figure out how bread can be baked differently!

Google and Facebook are private citizens, who can take chances
We are talking about state money here
Di you know how many projects like this all over Nigeria laying fallow and overgrown with weeds?
Why should we build more of the same nonsense?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

grin grin grin grin
No be so?

How can folks wey no fit fill up one kabu kabu aircraft with 40 people once a week attract a jet liner carrying hundreds?
Is it spirits that will fill up the seats?

And somebody wants to tell me that Bauchi airport will fill up one jet daily when currently they cannot fill up a small craft weekly

Most people there still fly out of Lagos and Abuja
If Kano,a city maybe 4 times larger than Bauchi is struggling with attracting daily flights from international locations,how will Bauchi?

Wow! I always thought MMIA was bursting at the seams. This info already puts the viability of the Lekki Airport in doubt, but I like the idea of an airport in Lekki though, for aesthetic/business purposes smiley.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:44pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

grin grin grin grin
No be so?

How can folks wey no fit ill up one kabu kabu aircraft once a week attract a jet liner?
Is it spirits that will come to the place

Ad somebody wants to tell me that Bauchi airport will fill up one jet daily when currently they cannot ill up a small craft weekly

Most people there still fly out if Lagos and Abuja
Any body who tells you MMA is under utilised is lying to you! MMIA as it is presently is not meet for purpose and they government of the day lacks the political will and sincerity to turn it into a continental hub.
FYI, Kano airport is under utilised because the FG has made no effort to even things out without playing politics with it! If Kano is the second biggest city after Lagos in Nigeria and there is daily business trip between the Arabs in and outside Nigeria, does that not tell you that the FG is missing out on something?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 9:45pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi: No businessman starts thinking of starting off a business and without even one customer you go out and hire a 20 garage sized warehouse and hire a bunch of staff.
That is foolishness

This is your own thinking. They've had customers since the reserve was created, it's just unfortunate that past state leaders didn't act on set plans for a state airport to support the reserve back in the 80's. It's a good thing that the current governor is trying not to make the same mistake.

Your costumers can not visit you if you don't have anything to offer or entice them with. Your analogy sounds too backward.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Any body who tells you MMA is under utilised is lying to you! MMIA as it is presently is not meet for purpose and they government of the day lacks the political will and sincerity to turn it into a continental hub.
FYI, Kano airport is under utilised because the FG has made no effort to even things out without playing politics with it! If Kano is the second biggest city after Lagos in Nigeria and there is daily business trip between the Arabs in and outside Nigeria, does that not tell you that the FG is missing out on something?

We are talking comparatively now with other airports around the world with similar population as Lagos
I wish I could find that article,I was also surprised to see it
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

Google and Facebook are private citizens
We are talking about state money here
By your reasoning, I pointed out to you that you don't have to wait for opportunities to present themselves when you can make them happen. That is just what those 'private' folks did and they envisioned how they would change the way humanity lives and whether you like it or not you are doing just that today. Same goes with the state government. If the man at the head has the right vision, he can change the way Bauchi as a state operates by tapping into her potentials rightly and you and I with business interest will begin to see Bauchi as another business heaven!
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 9:50pm On Jan 28, 2013
CFCfan: @ Eko Ile: I agree. But firstly, the FG has to improve security in the area, since the Governor has no control over the Police. Or alternatively, the states should be allowed to establish their own police departments. If security is improved (Boko haram threat is greatly minimised), the State would be a favorite holiday destination

*The bolded should be another opportunity for u to bash GEJ* grin

You can not go through life and acheve anything if all you have is negativity, doom and gloom and constant fear.

There are challenges everywhere on the surface of the earth. Only irresponsible leaders sits on their hands and do nothing to provide for the people they lead.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

We are talking comparatively now with other airports around the world with similar population as Lagos
I wish I could find that article,I was also surprised to see it
How do you mean? I don't want to come across as Mr know all, but there is so much to airport utilisation. The case of Lagos is one good example of bad government policy hurting the airport utilisation instead of lack of market opportunities. Do you know ow many airlines would love to fly into Lagos and connect other cities in West Africa from Lagos because it will profit them to fly such flight path? But we all know how obnoxious Nigerian airport charges are and the unfriendly policies of current government when it comes to aviation
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by codedguy1(m): 9:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
N7.9B to build an unnecessary airport. So Sambo's house can fund 2 airports. SMH : :oo
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
What is the pyguru stuff,the demon banned me again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Boko Haram: I Wrote My Will 6 Months After Becoming Governor - Shettima / #lockdown: Warri Boys Ransack Woman Shop For Selling Garri Expensive (photos) / Awkward Moment Buhari Snubs Tinibu's Wife As He Exchanges Pleasantries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.