Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure (45487 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Waleabimbola(m): 12:28am On Jan 28, 2013
How much will a visitor pay in uk to give birth ,what is the procedure and will that have any negative influence on future application/renewal?
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by snowdrops(m): 1:49am On Jan 28, 2013
In the UK, Caesarean sections have been found to cost an average of £1,701 while a va.ginal delivery costs an average £749
Women with spontaneous va.ginal deliveries spend on average 1 day in hospital after delivery, women with instrumental deliveries 1 or 2 days and CS deliveries is 3 or 4 days (Hospital Episodes Statistics; 2004)

I am unsure how this would impact on your future visa application.
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Waleabimbola(m): 7:27am On Jan 28, 2013
snowdrops: In the UK, Caesarean sections have been found to cost an average of £1,701 while a va.ginal delivery costs an average £749
Women with spontaneous va.ginal deliveries spend on average 1 day in hospital after delivery, women with instrumental deliveries 1 or 2 days and CS deliveries is 3 or 4 days (Hospital Episodes Statistics; 2004)

Do you know Any hospital where we can use and is that information above based on your past experience or online info?hope to read from you soon bro
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by snowdrops(m): 12:09am On Jan 29, 2013
You can walk into any NHS hospital if your wife is due for delivery. Explain you are not entitled to free public health care, they should let you know the average bill upfront. If your wife is not at term, then she can register with any local GP whilst paying for ante natal care till delivery.
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 29, 2013
nilll
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Waleabimbola(m): 7:20pm On Jan 29, 2013
snowdrops: You can walk into any NHS hospital if your wife is due for delivery. Explain you are not entitled to free public health care, they should let you know the average bill upfront. If your wife is not at term, then she can register with any local GP whilst paying for ante natal care till delivery.

Really appreciate your response, it has really helped..do u know the cost of delivery alone?i mean normal delivery
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Waleabimbola(m): 7:34pm On Jan 29, 2013
richjah: My wife gave birth as a visitor in Uk at the NHS Queens Hospital in Romford/dagenham area...I will advise that if your not financially stable DONT venture into it. Because I paid a whooping amount of 3,650 pounds for normal delivery and then when my baby came out, they said she had some poop stain on her which they called Mycoten or something....then my baby was taken to the NICU where we were told to pay 500 pounds for each night she spent there, she spent 3 days and thats after which i had to complain to the doctor that I am a visitor and paying heavily for the service, so my baby was discharged and the total amount spent was 4,150 pounds. The good news is that If you pay the money, then your future application will be granted once the receipts are tendered with your application. BUT if you dont pay!...Forget ever going to the UK......I re-applied with my wife and daughter and was given 2yrs....So be hopeful!....and also I only got the Long and short Birth certificates too!.

Your answers have really helped me sir, we have been to uk 3 times already and we are both using 2 years visitor visa but my friend always tell me that if you deliver in uk they wouldn't renew for us, that was why I brought the questions to naijaland.but your response has been of great help knowing that you have passed through same process before.
Please what do you mean by long and short birth certificate?
When next we wanna reapply, we are planning to apply for 5 years visa, will they give the new baby 5 years visa too or they start with 6 months visa for him/ her?
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by MrTumble: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by esosa4real(m): 12:27pm On Dec 14, 2014
MrTumble:
@ richjah You hit the nail on the head.@OP Your daughter passed Meconium which is sign of fetal distress reason for the NICU, giving birth now in uk, u need a gp to refer you for antenatal and delivery. prior to delivery your nurse will do all necessary checks on your woman. This I call planned delivery but if you decide to go in just at point of delivery then its more like emergency delivery which won't be nice if anything goes wrong. it is at that point they start doing all the test and checks. planned delivery better than emergency. if you need further assistance message me here. Hospitals cheaper outside london than in london for your mission. Regarding hospital bill..I always advice that pple budget 5000 pounds because no one can really tell how delivery will go or the outcome.The last client I had paid 2850 pounds in manchester,it was assisted delivery. Goodluck.

Hey doc, do u work in the NHS?
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by MrTumble: 2:29pm On Dec 14, 2014
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by OGIYEN: 10:58am On Jan 15, 2015
snowdrops:
In the UK, Caesarean sections have been found to cost an average of £1,701 while a va.ginal delivery costs an average £749

snowdrops pls can u assist with d current cost in birmingham,cos I will like to see a gp first den take it up from there.tanks
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by OGIYEN: 11:02am On Jan 15, 2015
MrTumble:
@esosa4real. Am not working for NHS. I do this on part time basis. Guide and Assist those who need it. Manchester cheaper than London.
mr tumble would b coming to birmigham to give birth would like to knw d cost if I should go through a Gp.tanks
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by MrTumble: 1:57am On Jan 16, 2015
@
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by OGIYEN: 7:48am On Jan 16, 2015
MrTumble:
@OGIYEN. Do you have a GP who will be referring you to midwife for antenatal screening and subsequent checks? If going through GP, you will need to pay for GP service, provided you have someone who will assist you make arrangement with his or her hospital. I always tell people to budget £5000. Because sometimes it could end up in assisted or c/s. My last client (3wks ago) paid a little over £2600 for assisted delivery and 4 days stay in hospital. Remember giving birth in UK does not confer citizenship on your child, all you get is birth certificate. Let me know if you need further assistance. Regards.

Normal delivery-£1600- £1800 with no complications, 2 day stay in hospital. Varies

Planned and Emergency C/S - over £3500 depending on other factors and duration of stay in hospital. Varies
ok tanks,but dat birth certificate can b used later lke if d child comes back and wants to school? And later he can do naturalisation right?
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by MrTumble: 6:07pm On Jan 16, 2015
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by OGIYEN: 9:37am On Jan 17, 2015
MrTumble:
@OGIYEN. The birth certificate has no use other than child was born in UK since you have no permanent resident status or citizenship. If your child remains in UK after birth, he or she will continue to enjoy everything free. Regular health visitor visit, hospital check and schooling. And there is no requirement for the child to have a visa to remain in UK. Meaning, child is not staying illegally.

But the moment your child leaves UK, you will need an entry clearance to return provided you meet the rules and requirement for the specific visa you are applying for. A stay of more than 2 yrs outside UK means residency status is broken. However, if your child decides to remain in UK for at least 7 years continuous residence...only then can you have concession based on Article 8 human rights. This may involve a solicitor. If granted, once the child completes 10 yrs residence in UK, then you can apply for naturalisation as a british citizen. Provided the residency requirement is fulfilled

tanks so much
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by OGIYEN: 9:13am On Jan 18, 2015
MrTumble:
@OGIYEN. The birth certificate has no use other than child was born in UK since you have no permanent resident status or citizenship. If your child remains in UK after birth, he or she will continue to enjoy everything free. Regular health visitor visit, hospital check and schooling. And there is no requirement for the child to have a visa to remain in UK. Meaning, child is not staying illegally.

But the moment your child leaves UK, you will need an entry clearance to return provided you meet the rules and requirement for the specific visa you are applying for. A stay of more than 2 yrs outside UK means residency status is broken. However, if your child decides to remain in UK for at least 7 years continuous residence...only then can you have concession based on Article 8 human rights. This may involve a solicitor. If granted, once the child completes 10 yrs residence in UK, then you can apply for naturalisation as a british citizen. Provided the residency requirement is fulfilled

d residency requirement is 5yrs prior to d application and dat rule of 2yrs outside uk is within d 5yrs period dat d child will leave in d Uk prior to his application,I will send u a link of d update rule.tanks
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by OGIYEN: 9:16am On Jan 18, 2015
MrTumble:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by MrTumble: 9:38am On Jan 22, 2015
The .
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Kehindeps(m): 9:56pm On Jun 30, 2015
snowdrops:

Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by adedol: 11:03am On Aug 17, 2015
MrTumble:
@ richjah You hit the nail on the head.@OP Your daughter passed Meconium which is sign of fetal distress reason for the NICU, giving birth now in uk, u need a gp to refer you for antenatal and delivery. prior to delivery your nurse will do all necessary checks on your woman. This I call planned delivery but if you decide to go in just at point of delivery then its more like emergency delivery which won't be nice if anything goes wrong. it is at that point they start doing all the test and checks. planned delivery better than emergency. if you need further assistance message me here. Hospitals cheaper outside london than in london for your mission. Regarding hospital bill..I always advice that pple budget 5000 pounds because no one can really tell how delivery will go or the outcome.The last client I had paid 2850 pounds in manchester,it was assisted delivery. Goodluck.
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by adedol: 11:04am On Aug 17, 2015
MrTumble can I more info pls.
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 17, 2015
The hospital fees are much cheaper than the US.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by ian996: 5:29pm On Sep 10, 2015
Hi Guys

Thought I might update you guys with some info regarding birth in the UK. I have just gone through with it and have some up-to-date costs. I read this thread whilst we were undergoing the preparations ourselves.

Firstly, I am a British Citizen and my wife is Nigerian. We couldn't get the spouse visa in time so we went on a visitor visa as time was getting short. We are married. We are liable for all the costs for mother and child, though I am disputing this based on my residency, but it's not straight forward, even for me - a citizen from birth (white/oyibo if anyone is wondering).

I called first to check the costs and was told £2400 for a normal delivery, £4500 with complications, i.e. caesarian. What they don't tell you is all the supplementary costs before and after birth - be aware, they will charge you for EVERYTHING in the end so don't take anything thinking it is part of the service.

Costs these days are charged at 150%.

1st appointment (name, DOB details etc - just filling forms) - £209
2nd appointment (checkup) (happened to be on the day of delivery) - £105
Due to pains and possibility of labour - more checks on the same day - £627
That night, admitted for delivery - £2532
Midwife visits after birth - £371 (we didn't know about these, they just turned up!)

Total - £3844 Immediate payment terms

Baby had a chest infection and required treatment (antibiotics). The antibiotics was for seven days so we had to stay with the baby in the hospital and feed her during this time.

Diagnosis: £1193
Neonatal care: £1883 x 4
Neonatal care day 5: £1841
Neonatal care day 6: £1842
Neonatal care day 7: £1884
Discharge: £596

Total: £14888.00 - Immediate payment terms

Failure to pay would mean application to enter or remain will be denied.

I should be able to get the baby fees waived once we get the correct paperwork, however, the special care can be required at any time - our daughter got a chest infection due to swallowing something on the way out (not mycosis, just normal fluid). she was only in the incubator one day, the rest of the time she was in a backroom with us - the doctors refused us to allow us to discharge the baby - the baby always comes first, you deal with payment later.

Just go in with your eyes open when considering the UK for delivery.

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
@Ian996

Wow! That was some huge bill! I do hope the baby's fees gets waived since you are British.

Congrats on your bundle of joy and thanks for sharing.
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by adedol: 12:37pm On Sep 13, 2015
@ Ian, congrats on the birth of ur baby.
Thank God baby and mother are okay.
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Kehindeps(m): 12:00pm On Sep 23, 2015
Hello,thanks ian996 for the update,this should help a lot of Nigerians intending to have their baby in the UK make an informed decision.
My wife and I are presently in London(both Nigerian) expecting our baby sometime in November and so far our bill is 2970 pounds with an initial deposit of 2200 or 75percent deposit but this is if the woman is deemed low risk and chooses to have her delivery in the hospital's birth centre,if there are any complications the woman will be moved to the labour ward and the bill goes up to an estimated 4300 pounds which is the same price option for a c-section if there are no further complications with the mother or the new born baby.
We chose the option of delivery without continued care and our price has a five day stay in the hospital unlike all the other hospitals charging between 4200-6000 pounds for a two night stay(regular delivery),all this is within London,I hear Manchester is cheaper
You will need a gp referral if you are planning on using an nhs hospital and paying out of pocket or you go private which is way more expensive,price quote estimates 6000-8000 pounds for normal delivery without complications.
As Ian has said, you will be charged for everything so if you decide to have your baby abroad, plan carefully and make sure you can afford it or just stay back in Nigeria jeje
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 23, 2015
Kehindeps:
Hello,thanks ian996 for the update,this should help a lot of Nigerians intending to have their baby in the UK make an informed decision.
My wife and I are presently in London(both Nigerian) expecting our baby sometime in November and so far our bill is 2970 pounds with an initial deposit of 2200 or 75percent deposit but this is if the woman is deemed low risk and chooses to have her delivery in the hospital's birth centre,if there are any complications the woman will be moved to the labour ward and the bill goes up to an estimated 4300 pounds which is the same price option for a c-section if there are no further complications with the mother or the new born baby.
We chose the option of delivery without continued care and our price has a five day stay in the hospital unlike all the other hospitals charging between 4200-6000 pounds for a two night stay(regular delivery),all this is within London,I hear Manchester is cheaper
You will need a gp referral if you are planning on using an nhs hospital and paying out of pocket or you go private which is way more expensive,price quote estimates 6000-8000 pounds for normal delivery without complications.
As Ian has said, you will be charged for everything so if you decide to have your baby abroad, plan carefully and make sure you can afford it or just stay back in Nigeria jeje

Is that all inclusive? Dr's fees, Pediatrician's, Lab work etc
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Kehindeps(m): 10:32pm On Sep 24, 2015
Phema:

Is that all inclusive? Dr's fees, Pediatrician's, Lab work etc
This isn't all inclusive,this is the price for delivery and antenatal checks from 32 weeks including blood work and scans,anything else will have to be paid for in advance
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 25, 2015
Kehindeps:

This isn't all inclusive,this is the price for delivery and antenatal checks from 32 weeks including blood work and scans,anything else will have to be paid for in advance

Thanks. How much did the other services cost? Dr's fees and others?
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Kehindeps(m): 10:44am On Sep 29, 2015
Phema:

Thanks. How much did the other services cost? Dr's fees and others?

At the time of our arrival we chose the birthing center which means we consult with the appointed midwives as we are planning a natural birth but if we change our minds and go for an epidural or cesection the price goes up or if there is any complication during or after the birth,then we will be billed by the hospital,you don't get billed by a doctor and a pediatrician.
For the lab work done so far we haven't been charged for that as its part of the routine antenatal screening,we just did a scan on thursday and its part of the package price.
As for their gp we didn't pay for the referral or registration that is at the gps discretion because usually you pay to register as an overseas patient.
Re: Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure by Nobody: 1:59pm On Sep 29, 2015
Kehindeps:
At the time of our arrival we chose the birthing center which means we consult with the appointed midwives as we are planning a natural birth but if we change our minds and go for an epidural or cesection the price goes up or if there is any complication during or after the birth,then we will be billed by the hospital,you don't get billed by a doctor and a pediatrician.
For the lab work done so far we haven't been charged for that as its part of the routine antenatal screening,we just did a scan on thursday and its part of the package price.
As for their gp we didn't pay for the referral or registration that is at the gps discretion because usually you pay to register as an overseas patient.

Thanks. Safe delivery to wifey.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Praises Hope Uzodinma Over Road: "If You Wan Build Road, Build Better Road". / Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) / Stratolaunch, The World’s Largest Airplane Takes First Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.