Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,470 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:05 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (843180 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (401) (Go Down)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by justwise(m): 2:56pm On Oct 10, 2015
Welcome to part 3 of this thread, part 2 is now far too for newbies to read through.

Please see part 2 here for references https://www.nairaland.com/2176096/give-birth-usa-cost-procedures

Visit this website for hospitals, pricing and Financial Information http://hcahealthcare.com/pricing-financing/

Tips For Birthing in the USA

1. If you already have a B visa, you are advised to write a Notification/Change of Intent email to the embassy(If you declared your intent to give birth in USA during your the visa interview then you don't need to send a letter to the embassy) but if you have withheld this info during the visa interview then letter of intent is not a shortcut.

Use these addresses
LagosNIV@state.gov and /or
Consularabuja@state.gov

This correspondence and the reply is carried by the traveler to the point of entry (POE)
*For the format of the said letter, kindly use the search button on top or below this page and key in the key words. You will have to search until you see the info which has been posted by several users.

2. If you do not have a visa, apply for a B1/B2 Medical visa. Go with evidence to show that you have a hospital,doctor and funds to cover accommodation, medical treatment and any other incidences. (This is popularly referred to as' Burden of proof' on this thread). You may go with the complete cash for your stay. This is preferable but not a must too prove you are capable of paying your bills and provide a smoother poe experience.
For more details , use the search button and follow the already highlighted step for search.
* Both successful and unsuccessful visa applicants have posted their transcripts. It will be of great benefit to you to go through the thread and learn. Nobody will repost for you again.

3.The decision on a choice of hospital is dependent on several factors. Cost of treatment I.e hospital, doctor's fees, epidural, NICU etc with cost of accommodation and Flight to your final destination .

Use the search button to search for locations visited and used by previous mothers. This is a Do it yourself thread and it is only courteous to search out info already freely posted for future users and not ask people to repost again.

4. At the POE, you are expected to go with your burden of proof and be well prepared to answer questions to avoid deportation. Note : It is not a crime to birth in the US. It is a crime however if you conceal this fact from your visa officer (VO) or Customs and Border Protection (CBP). This act is considered misrepresentation and can result in deportation and cancellation of visa and sometimes a ban.

5. After birthing. Kindly pay ALL your bills and ALL your baby/ies' bills. Do not accept medicaid. Although your Child acquires automatic citizenship, it is presumed you were not allowed on the shores of America to add to their financial/Tax burdens.

6. After birthing , you follow the steps for getting a US passport, Nigerian passport/Visa /Travel documents for your child.
If your child's travel document is his international passport, you require a dual way ticket.

EMERGENCY TRAVEL DOCUMENT (ETC)

1. Cost - $270 plus $20 for post office or $30 for FedEx

2. Send the following supporting documents:

- 2 passport photos of baby.
- Copy of parent's Nig. passports (data page)
- Birth certificate (copy)
- Itinerary and Letter of consent for ETC.

and address it to:
The Consular Officer, Embassy of Nigeria,
Washington DC 20008

You can use this Sample Letter but please edit it to make it yours

Dear Sir/Madam
We the parents of ...wish to apply for Emergency Travel Certificate for him/her to enable us take him to Nigeria. Due to logistics reasons we are unable to process a Nig passport at this time. Thank you for your assistance.
Yours truly, (sign and also write your full name. Spouse to sign too).

Thank you.

18 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Tobermom: 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2015
@missusadey, kindly disregard my response. Too much hormones got me reading or understanding the wrong thing. Had to read again to get it. Firsttymum has answered properly
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by firsttymum(f): 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2015
Yeepee part 3

Shakiti bobo

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by firsttymum(f): 3:05pm On Oct 10, 2015
[size=14pt]Shanaka29 and chizzyzobby[/size]

It's not easy to start typing all u shld carry especially as people have come to say it over and over again what they took along with them. Search for people who passed through the poe u intend to pass

Let's not take chances... Read about ur POE very well before u travel and read about documents popular asked for at that poe.

For example my poe was EWR I can only give u Gist about that.

Poe is good for some bad for some... One can't categorically say any Poe is safe as it is now.
It's just to pray, be prepared, and b confident.

As for the cost breakdown haba someone replied this like two days ago... This thing has been flogged and flogged. Haba plus emails to get the cost breakdown firsthand sef has been dropped.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by firsttymum(f): 3:26pm On Oct 10, 2015
Yokus

They didn't even ask me how much I was carrying till I got to the us... So I'm wondering which new laws.

To pay oakbend in advance:

ur husband can pay from Nigeria after you have gotten here. All you do is register, get the account number ( and all the info d bank in naija needs) and your Hospital id number. Then your husband shld go to the bank with copies of ur passport page, visa page, ticket... Then fill a form A then the bank will do the rest. I'm sure of gtbank

There's no safe Poe o... Just pray, be honest, be prepared and confident.

Goodluck

Note that paying medical bills before u get to the US doesn't guarantee entry.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by yokus(f): 4:02pm On Oct 10, 2015
They didn't even ask me how much I was carrying till I got to the us... So I'm wondering which new laws.

Goodluck

Thank you firstymummy... ehugs. Yea i figured, read bout the Law online and was just wondering. I was not asked either on my 2missionary trips but i am trying to keep up incase anything has changed.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Amother4life: 5:18pm On Oct 10, 2015
shanaka29:
Last point, i will be traveling with my mother and we both are on visa waiver program.
i'm planning on taking:
- our esta confirmations
- Dr emails (including cost breakdown)
- my budget sheet (around 8.5 K$ for c-section)
- 6 K$ in cash
- my last bank statement (with more or less 5 K$ net balance)
- my saving plan statement (15 K$)
- my last 3 salary slips
we will be staying with relatives.
Do i need anything else for POE ?

Since you are coming from a country that participates in the visa waiver program ( the European Union I presume) I would humbly suggest you refrain from using the popular slogan " because of better health care" for obvious reasons when asked why you decided to birth in the United States. There is really no "safe "POE anymore but there is always the grace of God . Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 6:31pm On Oct 10, 2015
@missusadey @firsttymum

It's there on Arik's website http://www.arikair.com/health-matters that you can fly locally with them up till you're 34 weeks and that was why we printed a copy of that policy in addition to the fit to fly from port health.

I would rather go with an airline that has a published policy that you can hold them to than one with no clear information on their policy for pregnant flyers. But that's just me, what do I know?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by feddy27: 7:19pm On Oct 10, 2015
Welcome to thread 3! mamas to be, prospecting mamas, supportive papas, those on 2nd, 3rd, 4th missionary journeys.... enjoy the ride. Wishing you all beautiful POE stories and memorable birth stories!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by bbaby84(f): 7:56pm On Oct 10, 2015
I sight you @Tobermom. ... how body and baby in the body?
Kisses.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by coffeeblue(f): 7:58pm On Oct 10, 2015
This thread has been so helpful and i just want to share my smooth POE experience.

I arrived at JFK in d afternoon on Thursday via Emirates. It was a pleasant trip. The queue was very long at first but it moved so fast.I think I spent between 10 and 15mins there. Then i was the last person my CPB was to meet. I think I spent about 6 mins with him. Here is the transcript.

CBP: Hello, what are u here for?
Me; vacation and childbirth
CBP: childbirth? U don't even look pregnant
Me: yeah
CBP: are u here alone, what about your husband
Me: yes, but he's coming to join me
CBP: what do u do and where does your husband work
Me: replied him
CBP: how much do u have with you
Me: I have $5k
CBP: looked at my passport and visa and asked if I've been in the US before
Me: I said yes, but the last visa was on my last passport.
CBP: who are you staying with in Florida.
Me: I'm staying with my family
CBP: Did u bring any food along
Me: yes, mentioned the few snacks I brought
CBP: how long are you going to be here
Me: 4 months
CBP: okay,place your hand on the scanner and face the camera
Stamps for 6 months
Have a nice stay
Me: thank you

No secondary inspection and no request for additional documentation whatsoever. Wish everyone a smooth POE experience also and safe delivery of their LOs.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by iolite88(f): 8:29pm On Oct 10, 2015
I don't know of any new laws but when I was coming via Abj I had an issue with them I declared 14k and I was stopped and taken to another office where the oga was, I was asked why I was carrying above the limit and I asked what the limit was even though I dint get a response I just said it was cash for my medical bills and cost of living as I will be away for 4months. The guy brought out a form for me to fill, asked where I got the cash I said PTA and personal savings, he asked for what I do and what my husband does as well and requested for our complimentary cards and it was stapled to the form

yokus:

Goodluck

Thank you firstymummy... ehugs. Yea i figured, read bout the Law online and was just wondering. I was not asked either on my 2missionary trips but i am trying to keep up incase anything has changed.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Adebuble(f): 8:46pm On Oct 10, 2015
Houston short stay apartment, for any two pple interested shd be PM me,very good price with fab amenities.

@uptown17 have u gotten accomodation soughted yet?.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by justwise(m): 8:47pm On Oct 10, 2015
iolite88:
I don't know of any new laws but when I was coming via Abj I had an issue with them I declared 14k and I was stopped and taken to another office where the oga was, I was asked why I was carrying above the limit and I asked what the limit was even though I dint get a response I just said it was cash for my medical bills and cost of living as I will be away for 4months. The guy brought out a form for me to fill, asked where I got the cash I said PTA and personal savings, he asked for what I do and what my husband does as well and requested for our complimentary cards and it was stapled to the form

The limit is 10.000(£,$,€) anything above that will be regarded as money laundering, if you failed to explain the source the money will be seized.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by nefertitiram: 9:19pm On Oct 10, 2015
I'm just marking present grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Beryl15: 9:26pm On Oct 10, 2015
Part 3 grin grin grin
Let me too mark present like Nef.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by IyawoToBe(f): 9:28pm On Oct 10, 2015
I was here wink

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by kiboe: 9:34pm On Oct 10, 2015
justwise:

The limit is 10.000(£,$,€) anything above that will be regarded as money laundering, if you failed to explain the source the money will be seized.

It's $10,000 OR IT'S EQUIVALENT and not 10,000 (£,$,€)

13 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LadyGuinivere: 9:35pm On Oct 10, 2015
I follow enter the bus o ! grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Lucasbalo(m): 9:43pm On Oct 10, 2015
justwise:

You are absolutely right. The limit is $10,000 and the lady is very lucky she didn't lose the money. I was coming to Nigeria about 7 weeks ago and I had $17.000 dollars on me but I reported the money to Homeland Department before boarding the flight to Nigeria and everything went well. The lady was lucky that she met a nice agent at the POE.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Nogen: 9:44pm On Oct 10, 2015
Oh yea, Part 3.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by queenestty: 10:04pm On Oct 10, 2015
Dem don leave me for part 2 dey enter part 3. Lolzz. I don follow enter 3 ooo tongue

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by justwise(m): 10:15pm On Oct 10, 2015
kiboe:

It's $10,000 OR IT'S EQUIVALENT and not 10,000 (£,$,€)

Its $10,000 if you leaving or entering US and €10,000 if one is traveling outside the EU or equivalent in other currencies though you have to declare it.

The same with £s, if i'm leaving the UK with up to £10,000 i have to declare it, it doesn't have to be $s
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by justwise(m): 10:18pm On Oct 10, 2015
Lucasbalo:
You are absolutely right. The limit is $10,000 and the lady is very lucky she didn't lose the money. I was coming to Nigeria about 7 weeks ago and I had $17.000 dollars on me but I reported the money to Homeland Department before boarding the flight to Nigeria and everything went well. The lady was luck that she met a nice agent at the POE.

Safer.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by kiboe: 10:23pm On Oct 10, 2015
justwise:

Its $10,000 if you leaving or entering US and €10,000 if one is traveling outside the EU or equivalent in other currencies though you have to declare it.

The same with £s, if i'm leaving the UK with up to £10,000 i have to declare it, it doesn't have to be $s

Leaving 9ja nko?thats the one that concerns us now.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by justwise(m): 10:28pm On Oct 10, 2015
kiboe:

Leaving 9ja nko?thats the one that concerns us now.

The same thing...$10,000 max, people carry above that in card, cheque or cash but you have to declare it.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Toks07: 10:33pm On Oct 10, 2015
Welcome to part 3. I dey here o.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by zoemummy: 10:42pm On Oct 10, 2015
Part 3 and still counting... grin

...and I'm still following... cool
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by iyoyoworl: 10:43pm On Oct 10, 2015
coffeeblue:
This thread has been so helpful and i just want to share my smooth POE experience.
I arrived at JFK in d afternoon on Thursday via Emirates. It was a pleasant trip. The queue was very long at first but it moved so fast.I think I spent between 10 and 15mins there. Then i was the last person my CPB was to meet. I think I spent about 6 mins with him. Here is the transcript.
CBP: Hello, what are u here for?
Me; vacation and childbirth
CBP: childbirth? U don't even look pregnant
Me: yeah
CBP: are u here alone, what about your husband
Me: yes, but he's coming to join me
CBP: what do u do and where does your husband work
Me: replied him
CBP: how much do u have with you
Me: I have $5k
CBP: looked at my passport and visa and asked if I've been in the US before
Me: I said yes, but the last visa was on my last passport.
CBP: who are you staying with in Florida.
Me: I'm staying with my family
CBP: Did u bring any food along
Me: yes, mentioned the few snacks I brought
CBP: how long are you going to be here
Me: 4 months
CBP: okay,place your hand on the scanner and face the camera
Stamps for 6 months
Have a nice stay
Me: thank you
No secondary inspection and no request for additional documentation whatsoever. Wish everyone a smooth POE experience also and safe delivery of their LOs.

Congrats on your successful Poe experience.

Please which hospital would you be using in Florida

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by MiddyO(f): 10:45pm On Oct 10, 2015
Reporting live from Dallas! I got in Oct 8 @ about 2pm through DFW POE via Lufthansa. Flight was very good but kind of long.
Pls book a wheelchair for the Frankfurt /Dallas leg of the journey, the waka was long to get to the terminal.

I spent very few minutes with the CBP , was with my mom.
Was asked-
Where in Dallas are you going to - Arlington

Purpose - Vacation

How long are you staying - 4 months

How much do you have - $***

Are you preg - Yes

How do you plan to pay- showed all docs stapled together ( deposit to Elpaso since last Yr, baby budget, letter of correspondence, hosp fees and breakdown )

So you made an advance payment? Yes (this was for the previous pregnancy we lost last year, not as leverage for POE o!)

Said thought you were going to Arlington? - Yes for a month then later Elpaso.

Do you have a husband? Yes

What does he do? ****

Is he coming later? Yes, before the baby arrives.

Stamped us in till April 2016.

Proceeded to Agricultural for food check and customs to fill currency declaration form.

Thank God for favour and to the wonderful people on this amazing thread for knowledge! Been reading since last year. Information is power!

Now resting as my feet are swollen and I am still tired.

Safe delivery, POE and visa interviews to everyone!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LME2614: 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2015
Hello NL, please u need help, this is quiet urgent, am trying to book a new interview date for myself and son at the U.S. Embassy, but the earliest date am seeing is the 16th of Nov, and am due mid November, please any help with getting a closer date? Please HELP. I keep checking the page almost every 30 minutes, but no earlier date.
Please HELP
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 11:51pm On Oct 10, 2015
I made it to part 3. Yaay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (401)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.