Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders (1024 Views)

Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job / Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. / I Need Your Candid Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by Glued: 5:13pm On Jan 28, 2013
I havent had a job in ages..Precisely since 2006 when i graduated with a BSc in Computer Science. Just late last year, in a bid to not be idle in Lagos, my parents told me to come back home for my masters. First week of January i did my clearance and on my way to go pick my things in Lagos, i got called by my sis that she has helped me secure a job. Customer service in an international health facility. Pay is 75k for starters with possibility of a raise and promotion yearly. And the office is walkable from my place at Ikoyi. Now my dad insists i go for the masters or he will disown me. He says it is not a federal job and i can be sacked at anytime. Plus if my sis moves back to the US, i wont be able to fend for myself on the salary.

But i want to work and earn my keep. For once I will be able to work in a corporate establishment and be on my own in time. I will be 30 in 6 months and so age is not on my side. Also i resent the fact that my Dad thinks threatening me at my age would solve everything. I am thinking of deferring the admission, walking away and going for the job. I figured the job wont wait but masters can. I am so confused and i need some straight candid advice.
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by AjanleKoko: 5:36pm On Jan 28, 2013
Glued: I havent had a job in ages..Precisely since 2006 when i graduated with a BSc in Computer Science. Just late last year, in a bid to not be idle in Lagos, my parents told me to come back home for my masters. First week of January i did my clearance and on my way to go pick my things in Lagos, i got called by my sis that she has helped me secure a job. Customer service in an international health facility. Pay is 75k for starters with possibility of a raise and promotion yearly. And the office is walkable from my place at Ikoyi. Now my dad insists i go for the masters or he will disown me. He says it is not a federal job and i can be sacked at anytime. Plus if my sis moves back to the US, i wont be able to fend for myself on the salary.

But i want to work and earn my keep. For once I will be able to work in a corporate establishment and be on my own in time. I will be 30 in 6 months and so age is not on my side. Also i resent the fact that my Dad thinks threatening me at my age would solve everything. I am thinking of deferring the admission, walking away and going for the job. I figured the job wont wait but masters can. I am so confused and i need some straight candid advice.

Tell your dad that he should give you one year to give the job a shot, and then pick up the masters later.
Since you've never had a job, it's very essential that you get some work experience, broaden your horizons.
I presume the masters is right here in Nigeria. You can forget about it jare. Your dad, pardon my French and disrespect, is just talking out of his azz. Which one is federal job? In 2013?

1 Like

Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by 2sexy(m): 5:55pm On Jan 28, 2013
+1. Well said Ajanlekoko(only God knows what that means) OP i think you should take the advice as give Ajanle.

Experience is the most important thing. You building a career so it's best to start small. Where many people make mistake is wanting to start BIG and they end up staying in Labour Market for so long.
AjanleKoko:

Tell your dad that he should give you one year to give the job a shot, and then pick up the masters later.
Since you've never had a job, it's very essential that you get some work experience, broaden your horizons.
I presume the masters is right here in Nigeria. You can forget about it jare. Your dad, pardon my French and disrespect, is just talking out of his azz. Which one is federal job? In 2013?
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 28, 2013
AjanleKoko:

na federal job our parents generation dey belive in
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by Orpelin: 6:40pm On Jan 28, 2013
federal civil service is no more juicy & now that scandal rocks most of nigeria MDA recruitment exercise. Also you have not even secure at least from the federal agency.
Hold on to the one U have gotten
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by nitrogen(m): 7:23pm On Jan 28, 2013
Crazy, but perhaps the best.

Scope/fake your dad about the admission stuff, and resume for the work as early as possible, meanwhile, checkout(for a year) whether the job is okay, if not, then the masters' fund (kept safely after collection from papa) can now be utilised for the intent. Ensure that your sister knows about it, but not your mum and definitely the subject.

Bro, that's your best bet, although it is a crazy one, so you don't loose on both sides.

Discretion is advised, because If it isn't a success story, and he(dad) finds out later, you risk your membership/sonship status in that house o. Don't say it was a nairalander that 'kobalised' you, cos you are On Your Own (OYO).

Thank you.
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by Ola1emmy(f): 8:00pm On Jan 28, 2013
Seriously on d plain ground.dey r d parent dat kwz beta wanting d best even at wrong decisionz.wot il advice is sit urself down n tink out wots best4u.where r al dose u graduatd2geda,hw improvd or odawise r they nw2013.wot was ur own resolution4 ds yr or dd sum1 make it4u?hw old r u gonna b ds yr?ur dad knwz beta,u knw best.
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by DisGuy: 10:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
Ola1emmy: Seriously on d plain ground.dey r d parent dat kwz beta wanting d best even at wrong decisionz.wot il advice is sit urself down n tink out wots best4u.where r al dose u graduatd2geda,hw improvd or odawise r they nw2013.wot was ur own resolution4 ds yr or dd sum1 make it4u?hw old r u gonna b ds yr?ur dad knwz beta,u knw best.

at the age of 30? siddon their they iron daddy shirt!

Plus if my sis moves back to the US, i wont be able to fend for myself on the salary.

Have you got kids?
you are living at home
you are eating at home
you probably have access to daddy's car
75k is very decent o

tell your dad you need the experience; plus you don't want your sister looking bad with her network who helped out
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by 234GT(m): 5:42am On Jan 30, 2013
Go for the job. If you have MSc without job experience, it may count against you.
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by gparker: 6:29pm On Jan 30, 2013
Ola1emmy: Seriously on d plain ground.dey r d parent dat kwz beta wanting d best even at wrong decisionz.wot il advice is sit urself down n tink out wots best4u.where r al dose u graduatd2geda,hw improvd or odawise r they nw2013.wot was ur own resolution4 ds yr or dd sum1 make it4u?hw old r u gonna b ds yr?ur dad knwz beta,u knw best.

I just got a massive headache reading this post, my goodness was that Swahili or English?
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by Ola1emmy(f): 2:57am On Feb 04, 2013
gparker:

I just got a massive headache reading this post, my goodness was that Swahili or English?
its english dandy.shd he nt tink b4 doing anytin?of course he knowz best wot he wants let him eventually decide ok.
Re: Help! I Am So Confused And In A Fix! Need Your Candid Opinion Nairalanders by Gozillar: 11:59pm On Feb 04, 2013
Hello man. I do feel ur pains. I pray al u face 2day wil b a tin 2 laugh abt in d future when u bcom very succesful in life. 4 me, takin d job and deferin d masters wil b d best option. Pray 2 God ur dad understands with u. Cheers

(1) (Reply)

Another Nigerian In Diaspora Bringing Solution To Power Outages / I Will Not Let Exam Results Decide My Fate / How To Calculate Interest On Overdraft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.