Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,490 members, 7,823,146 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor (4171 Views)

Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures / Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? / Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by onila(f): 5:02pm On Jan 30, 2013

27 year old Kelvin Okafor is a graduate of Fine Art, Middlesex University and is now making waves across the world with his incredible pencil drawings that looks like photographs.

Kelvin creates each piece only in black and white, using graphite pencils, charcoal, and black coloured pencil. He's exhibited at numerous major art galleries and won several national awards for his remarkable work. His work is currently on display at the The Watercolours + Works on Paper Fair at the London Science Museum, until February 3.

Kelvin writes on his blog:
'I aspire to create art as vivid as eyes could see. I want my drawings to prompt an emotional response, making viewers feel as though they are looking at a real live subject. I’ve always been creative, but fell in love with using pencils in particular.
It amazed me, that with only one shade of lead, you can create so many tones and textures, and almost create the illusion of colour. It was only when my images started to create a buzz with other Middlesex University students that I realised their impact.'
See more of his sketches after the cut...

Kelvin Okafur, 27, graduated from Middlesex University in fine art and is now making waves across the country.
His subjects include popular music artists Tinie Tempah, James Morrison and Adele.
He has also picked out tragic figures from actor Heath Ledger to the late King of Jordan, King Hussein - and with each, he tries to evoke an emotion in the viewer.
Finally, he has used friends and colleagues for the impressively accurate images, which look like soft focus digital photos.
Last year, the artist from Tottenham, north London, exhibited at numerous major art galleries and won a clutch of prestigious national awards for his remarkable work.
Each of his pieces takes around 80-100 hours to complete, over approximately three weeks in the studio.
Mr Okafor creates each piece only in black and white - using graphite pencils, charcoal, black coloured pencil and sometimes grey pastels.
Yet he believes that the range of tone, shade and texture is almost endless.
He draws on a combination of life and photographs, working on his art for up to 15 hours a day.
He admits he is 'passionate about precision'.
'I aspire to create art as vivid as eyes could see,' the artist writes on his blog.
'I want my drawings to prompt an emotional response, making viewers feel as though they are looking at a real live subject.
Mr Okafor describes the pencil as 'a humble instrument', but says this is part of its appeal.
'I’ve always been creative, but fell in love with using pencils in particular.
'It amazed me, that with only one shade of lead, you can create so many tones and textures, and almost create the illusion of colour.
'It was only when my images started to create a buzz with other Middlesex University students that I realised their impact.'
He was selected as one of the top two pieces of work at Cork Street Gallery's Winter Show in 2012 and recently won the Catherine Petitgas Visitors’ Choice Prize, part of the National Open Art Competition.
His work is currently on display at the The Watercolours + Works on Paper Fair at the London Science Museum, until February 3.
Before starting a piece, Mr Okafor spends a few days analysing a photo, concentrating first on the subject’s eyes, which are central to his works' impact.
His pieces are now selling for on average £8,000-£10,000, depending on the scale.
'The attention I’m receiving is surreal and hasn’t really sunk in yet,' he added.
'I’m usually sheltered from it in my studio as I continue to build my portfolio, but I’m really humbled and honoured that so many people appreciate my work.
'I hope to have my own gallery in the future.'
He has now had more than 50 commissions, and the dedicated artist cites his role models as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo - because they not only mastered the arts but branched out into other fields including engineering, poetry, science and maths.
Twitter users describe his work as 'incredible', 'extraordinary' and 'astounding'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2270595/From-Beyonce-Mother-Teresa-Kelvin-Okafors-incredible-drawings-look-just-like-digital-photos.html#ixzz2JTYGMbsv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by onila(f): 5:03pm On Jan 30, 2013
Drawing plenty of attention: The incredible sketches which look just like digital photographs
Subjects range from singers Beyonce and Amy Winehouse to Mother Teresa and Princess Diana
Each expressive piece is made using primarily graphite and charcoal pencil
Artist Kelvin Okafor is gaining great acclaim for his incredible work

Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by onila(f): 5:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
Windows to the soul: Kelvin Okafor begins with the eyes when he creates his realistic sketches of famous faces from Beyonce to Mother Teresa

1 Like

Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by onila(f): 5:06pm On Jan 30, 2013
Each work takes the 27-year-old up to 100 hours to complete, and he tries to inspire emotion in the viewer with vivid portraits. Pictured, Heath Ledger and Princess Diana

Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by onila(f): 5:07pm On Jan 30, 2013
The London-based artist has now scooped national awards and is exhibiting across the country. Pictured, Rihanna

Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by onila(f): 5:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
The talented artist is gaining a large following and has made videos showing the evolution of his work, to illustrate just how each one is created.
Even so, the extent of his skill is truly breathtaking.
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by babysnogls: 5:23pm On Jan 30, 2013
Wao.. I remember my old passion wt nostalgia and feel like resurrecting it!
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by Biggoozz: 5:39pm On Jan 30, 2013
This world of ours gets more incredible by the day. I cant believe that Diana's picture is a pencil sketch shocked.
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by onila(f): 6:26pm On Jan 30, 2013
smiley
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by taharqa: 6:45pm On Jan 30, 2013
Truly astonishing talent.. Saw his work smwhere recently... Chap is doing well for himself, and is wishd the best....
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
This is incredible!!
I can make them tho' am good with pencil,that's where i start my art.

1 Like

Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 30, 2013
Now that's what I'm talking about..

Nice... That's wow
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 30, 2013
Amazing talent.
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
Standing ovation for this great artist. This is the Rembrandt of Africa.
If I wasn't told these were drawn, I could never have guessed.
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
The shading is unbelievable, are you sure the pictures didn't undergo any software editing?
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by Gbawe: 9:49pm On Jan 30, 2013
This guy is simply wow !!! Outstanding. His work is already selling for around £10,000.00 each. He is master of his niche. That in itself is genius. A fantastic role model living and breathing the concept of individuals being the best at what they do.
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 30, 2013
wow, amazing especially mother Theresa. I don't know how one could get those wrinkled folds so well
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by blacksta(m): 11:07pm On Jan 30, 2013
Disclaimer

Not trained or encouraged in Nigeria
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by Abbott(m): 12:10am On Jan 31, 2013
Gotta doff my hat for Kelvin
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by goldfish80(m): 12:46am On Jan 31, 2013
ΤђΞ mother Theresa απϑ Rihana sketches looks so real shocked
Kevin okafor na winch
Re: Getting Attention-the Incredible Sketches Of Nigerian Artist, Kelvin Okafor by mukina2: 12:59am On Jan 31, 2013

(1)

Graphics Design Master Class: learn Professional Graphics Design With Your Phone / Nipseyartz / Coreldraw Thread. All Coredraw Users Share Your Tips And Tricks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.