Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks (5710 Views)

Armless Man Banned From Driving (Pics and Video) / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work / 11 Most Awesome Taxis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by trendystuf(f): 9:46am On Jan 31, 2013
FRSC Bans Drivers Under 25 Years From Driving Taxis & Trucks

The Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC has announced an approved minimum age of 25 years for obtaining a commercial driver’s licence. The Lagos State Sector Commander, FRSC, Nseobong Akpabio told the News Agency of Nigeria that the step was intended to get rid of underage drivers and sanitise the profession. Read the statement below:

“An underage commercial driver has no commitment and may see driving as one of those jobs that could be toyed with. Many road crashes, especially with articulated vehicles, were usually traced to motor-boy drivers, who were without experience.

“Road crash involving a commercial bus may jeopardise the existence or progress of 10 families and if it involved freight vehicle, it will affect the progress of the company.

“Drivers are very important as they can either mar or make a person, because if there is safe arrival, goals and aims can be achieved, but in a reversed case, such goals and aims have been cut short,” he was quoted as saying.

Akpabio called on transport unions, parents, as well as passengers, to assist the commission in checking underage drivers in order to achieve the United Nation’s Decade of Action for Safer Road Users. He said that the approved minimum age of 25 years for obtaining a commercial driver’s licence would help in checking road crashes usually caused by underage drivers.
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/01/30/nigeria-bans-under-25-from-driving-trucks-taxis/

Please share your thoughts on this new law?

Source: http://trendysturvs..com/2013/01/frsc-bans-drivers-aged-under-25-from.html

2 Likes

Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 31, 2013
Rubish...though i didnt read it
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by executinal(m): 1:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
^^^ why you didn't read, i guess you are bellow 25?

Better cause this kid cause more damage on the road

3 Likes

Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by yuzedo: 1:41pm On Jan 31, 2013
chidyhels: Rubish...though i didnt read it
Lol! grin Ode! tongue
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Sunymoore(m): 1:41pm On Jan 31, 2013
Then they must provide free driver to drive me skul
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by ashson: 1:43pm On Jan 31, 2013
Thats a good one...
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by gbanikiti(m): 1:45pm On Jan 31, 2013
Am i suppose to give a round of applause for this law by the FRSC? will this law actually reduce the rate of accidents? this must be a joke! undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by AZeD1(m): 1:47pm On Jan 31, 2013
Which kind of retards do we have running this countries? So what are they supposed to do?
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by baby124: 1:47pm On Jan 31, 2013
Very good. A lot of those danfo drivers are foolish and senseless kids. They just drive anyhow and can almost run you over in your car. Always high on something and acting dense. But how do we determine their ages when most of those village boys have no birth certificate, and oluwole is there anytime anyday This is just lipservice where Nigerians are concerned. cheesy
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by dapyd1(m): 1:48pm On Jan 31, 2013
I have mixed feelings. It is good because I have been entering commercial buses for a while both in and outside lagos and I can tell how reckless and careless this young drivers can be compared with the older more mature ones. On the other hand, what happens to the numerous drivers who are underage: addition to the unemployment cycle, more thugs, armed robbers, more extortion etc. If they want it to be at its best, govt shud provide a cushion effect for those dat will be out of job.

1 Like

Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Rexphobia(m): 1:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sunymoore: Then they must provide free driver to drive me skul
do you drive a taxi or 'truck' to school?
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jan 31, 2013
chidyhels: Rubish...though i didnt read it

How did you know it was rubbish when you didn't read it ? Maybe NL needs to introduce same policy on the forum to keep out re't'ards like you.

2 Likes

Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Ebestsmscom: 2:06pm On Jan 31, 2013
Gud job.
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Ebestsmscom: 2:08pm On Jan 31, 2013
~Bluetooth:

How did you know it was rubbish when you didn't read it ? Maybe NL needs to introduce same policy on the forum to keep out re't'ards like you.

Seconded.

He didn't read the post and he commented.
Some people dey crazy.
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by MurderX: 2:11pm On Jan 31, 2013
I think it should be increased to 40, usually coach drivers in the UK are matured men with responsibilities. Get rid of all these boys that want to dance Azonto on the steering.
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Mishydoo(m): 2:15pm On Jan 31, 2013
FRSC...bunch of clowns!is dat suppose to reduce number road traffic accidents?...Travel out and see that at 18yrs one is qualified to acuire ɑ̤̥̈̊ D_liscence!Clueless Idiots
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by tunapawizzy: 2:17pm On Jan 31, 2013
gbanikiti: Am i suppose to give a round of applause for this law by the FRSC? will this law actually reduce the rate of accidents? this must be a joke! undecided undecided
psychologically it will, where i am worried is what those under 25 drivers will now be doing, stealing and robbing people i guess

1 Like

Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by AkinDavid2: 2:19pm On Jan 31, 2013
To me this is good but trust some crooks they will turn 26 immediately to obtain their license.
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Mustay(m): 2:36pm On Jan 31, 2013
On one thread, someone was asking the age when one graduates from a boy to a man - FRSC seems to be upping the ante here. There are as many IRRESPONSIBLE >25yr old men as there are for those <25yrs. The law stipulates an age to drive and FRSC is creating another law without the parliament's resolution. Who told them there are <25s who don't have families to cater for

Personally, this scheme in a country bedevilled with unemployment is >= pointless. The other day, the FRSC said that drivers of convoys should go for special training or a FRSC official should be in every convoy.

Better policies please.

1 Like

Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Foxflames: 2:36pm On Jan 31, 2013
WE have RETARDS running this country. What sort of rule is this?
What we should have like other developed countries is a comprehensive driving test!! In Nigeria anyone can get a driving license without a taking test.

4 Likes

Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 31, 2013
I feel apart from age limit, experience too should count. a person of 23 who has 6 years experience in driving would be a better commercial driver than a 27year old who has just been driving for a year in my own opinion. A thorough driving test and adequate orientation should be as important if not more important than just the age. Besides,a 21yr old can be much more matured even in driving than a 26yr old. Have they taken a statistic to know that most reckless drivers are within that range? They are some correlates that should be taken into consideration. Vices, education, experience and orientation will almost have greater influence on how you drive than just age. FRSC should look into those areas alongside the age.
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
SO HOW THEM GO KNOW MY AGE WHEN I CAN GET BIRTH CERTIFICATE WITH #500 grin grin grin
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Pergrace: 2:58pm On Jan 31, 2013
gbanikiti: Am i suppose to give a round of applause for this law by the FRSC? will this law actually reduce the rate of accidents? this must be a joke! undecided undecided

In some way it will reduce the rate of accidents
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Divaucee: 2:59pm On Jan 31, 2013
Dis is gud.gud 4 d pple nd d nation bt dose of dem at d age of 85 nd above shuld b lookd into.it culd b harzadous
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Pergrace: 3:03pm On Jan 31, 2013
The challenge here will be finding out if they are actually 25 years and above..Una know say na Nja we dey..getting a fake birth certificate is way to easy.[/
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 31, 2013
I will say it again..the law is absolute crap..i dont need to read it to knw what its saying...so i have to be 25 b4 i start making money in this jobless economy?..

And for those raining abuses,this is nland,its not longer new....the op asked for your contribution,not to curse people's opinion
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by Bawss1(m): 4:03pm On Jan 31, 2013
The FRSC is over its head on this one. This new restriction is obviously the outcome of someone or a group of people who are out of touch with reality. There is no logical reason to suggest that commercial drivers who are over 25 years old are reasonably balanced people than those below 25. This ban is not only silly, it discriminates against a legitimate subset of the adult population.

What should happen to prevent such silly bans from being announced in the future is that all intending members of the FRSC should undergo rigid psychiatric examinations to ensure that their marbles are together before they are enlisted. That way we know to expect fairly sane restrictions going forward.

Nonsense

angry
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by datola: 4:13pm On Jan 31, 2013
Another way of redering the young/youth jobless.
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by 76Naira(m): 4:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
Above 18, driving is not regulated by age.
Its high time Nigeria ensured a dependable license issuance process, adequate record keeping for driving history, good roads, good car regulations and an effective judicial system to penalize offenders.
In a country where many still see accidents as the work of the devil, how can we move forward?
I have driven more than 14 types of cars in 4 countries since 1993 when I was 17. I had to go through a year of training and qualification from my mom before I got my full license. My mom who obviously had a more rigorous system that FRSC set up a point based system in which I built up points and each mistake resets you a few points. She did this until I could make 3 full trips of about 100km each without losing a point. She would task you on predicting driver behavior, analyzing your safety room, checking your car in detail before trips and planning your journey to ensure you can keep checking your car & taking breaks. We traded a lot in most of the southern, eastern & western states of Nigeria and we never took drivers because most are not properly trained. My mom drove until my sibling could drive and finally me.

How many Nigerian homes care these days? Now, this stupid policy.
Re: Drivers Under-25 From Driving Taxis & Trucks by mukoloAndy(m): 4:47pm On Jan 31, 2013
Rexphobia: do you drive a taxi or 'truck' to school?

grin gud question grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) / "Ringing" A Car / Plate Number Valid But Not Assigned To Any Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.