Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,465 members, 7,826,770 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' (10542 Views)

Dasuki: Buhari Never Ordered Dismantling Of Military Checkpoints / Police IG, Orders Dismantling Of All Police Roadblocks Nationwide / Nigeria Starts Exportation Of Steel In April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by SisiKill1: 6:00pm On Jan 31, 2013
Nigeria starts dismantling its plane 'graveyard'

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — Workers have begun dismantling the abandoned airplanes left to rot at airports across Nigeria, a nation with a troubled history of crashes and mismanaged airlines.

The work has started in Lagos at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, where passengers coming into Africa's most populous nation have long seen the abandoned planes when landing there. Henry Omeogu, director of airport operations for the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, said Thursday that he hopes workers will dismantle all the aircraft within the coming weeks.

Omeogu estimated there are at least 65 abandoned planes at Nigeria's airports, ranging from small jets to a massive Boeing 747 in the northern city of Kano.

The work comes as Nigeria struggles to overcome a past filled with airline disasters and corruption in the aviation sector.

http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-starts-dismantling-plane-graveyard-151122763.html

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by SisiKill1: 6:04pm On Jan 31, 2013
THANK GOD!!!!

It was such an unsightly thing to behold! Gosh!!

Comments on Yahoo (cracked me up cheesy )

"Maybe this will give the Nigerian spammers something else to do for awhile"

"Strange there are not a thousand Nigerians living in each abandoned plane. The jet setters of shanty town"

"How do you "abandon" a 747"
Reply - Same way you abandon a chevy that doesn't run any more... park it on the tarmac, leave the keys in it, and walk away. Eventually, someone notices "hey, hasn't that been parked there a long time? Whose is that?"

"Let them dismantle the corrupt govt too..." (True Dat! cheesy)

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Meegadough: 6:42pm On Jan 31, 2013
Lol
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Abrantie: 8:39pm On Jan 31, 2013
Do you know the amount of recyclable metals, especially aluminum in those things?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by outrage: 8:39pm On Jan 31, 2013
The parts will make for very interesting experimentation..

I wish I could get may hands on them.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by alaladakosta(f): 8:43pm On Jan 31, 2013
@ least 65 abandoned plane? some national carriers don't have up to that figure yet they maintain the little once they have.OOOppss, i forgot its Nigeria,giant of africa.Too much money the problems is out to spend it.
Picture those aircraft working and imagine how many pilot it will employ to fly it,how many cabin crew will be onboard each,thereby reducing umemployment,atleast a bit.its well
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by jbrodaly(m): 8:43pm On Jan 31, 2013
Abrantie: Do you know the amount of recyclable metals, especially aluminum in those things?
First thing that came to my mind on seeing the headline.Can't imagine how people in Government reason.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by henrychubayo: 8:46pm On Jan 31, 2013
Good move. It seems to me that the avaition ministry is the only competent ministry now trying all the best to change the name of nigeria for better and not for worse. After this one, they will still look forward to more progress in the aviation dept. Good job minister

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by princemolak(m): 8:49pm On Jan 31, 2013
Aw on Earth wil that reduce plane Crash incidence http://efiweblog.info/2013/01/how-to-make-money-online-with-google.html
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 31, 2013
This a very good move by the Nigerian aviation authorities. The products of the recycling process will be beneficial to Naija's economy, particularly the sale of the aluminium.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 31, 2013
Abeg make una pack dana too waka, anytime am landing or taking of from murtala and I see those packed dana planes, something always comes to my mind. Make una stop reminding us of that bad events by removing all those planes that belongs to crashed airlines.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by drzed: 8:52pm On Jan 31, 2013
Make dem just ban DANA airline from coming close to this junkyard o!
Dat yeye company fit repaint and reuse on of these planes again. Heediots.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by sundayid(m): 9:06pm On Jan 31, 2013
alala dakosta: @ least 65 abandoned plane? some national carriers don't have up to that figure yet they maintain the little once they have.OOOppss, i forgot its Nigeria,giant of africa.Too much money the problems is out to spend it.
Picture those aircraft working and imagine how many pilot it will employ to fly it,how many cabin crew will be onboard each,thereby reducing umemployment,atleast a bit.its well
picture the planes becoming another Dana, sosoliso, adc disasters and the number of casualties. plane no be car wey u fit drive without brakes
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Clemzy16(m): 9:11pm On Jan 31, 2013
This is a nice development but not an achievement.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Hadone(m): 9:19pm On Jan 31, 2013
GOV. SUNTAI OF TARABA WOULD WISH HE'S BACK TO NIGERIA. HE WOULD HAVE BIDDED THE WHOLE STOCK COZ THE GUY SO MUCH LOVES ANYTHING ASSOCITED TO AIRPLANE.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by JOEizu: 9:20pm On Jan 31, 2013
Leave One for Nollywood in shooting there Movies

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by olasesi(m): 9:22pm On Jan 31, 2013
...."______ airline to acquire parts of dismantled airplanes"...sahara reporter

....Given the kind of country that I live in, this isn't too much to predict..

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE DASH LINE, JUST FILL IT WITH ANY AIRLINE OPERATOR
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by dokunbam(m): 9:25pm On Jan 31, 2013
they should be fast about it ooo
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by groovie(m): 9:25pm On Jan 31, 2013
drzed: Make dem just ban DANA airline from coming close to this junkyard o!
Dat yeye company fit repaint and reuse on of these planes again. Heediots.
hahahahaha!!! man, na wa 4 u o!
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
How i wish i could lay my hands on doz planes....

Omo na hawking of fairly used private jets planes º°˚!

I for juz dey hawk dem for go-slow.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Ribaman(m): 9:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
henrychubayo: Good move. It seems to me that the avaition ministry is the only competent ministry now trying all the best to change the name of nigeria for better and not for worse. After this one, they will still look forward to more progress in the aviation dept. Good job minister
The aviation ministry caters, principally and mainly, to the needs and wants of the uber-Nigerians ( and a small section of the middleclass) . So, stop praising them for working to protect the status quo
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by searay(m): 9:47pm On Jan 31, 2013
I have never seen a plane before, I think it will be nice to play with. Just remember how I used to drive my father's burnt car
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by pak: 9:50pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sisi_Kill: THANK GOD!!!!

"Strange there are not a thousand Nigerians living in each abandoned plane. The jet setters of shanty town"

Reply - Same way you abandon a chevy that doesn't run any more... park it on the tarmac, leave the keys in it, and walk away. Eventually, someone notices "hey, hasn't that been parked there a long time? Whose is that?"

Worst comment of all

In Nigeria, if you offer someone $1 million and tell them that if they take it, everyone else in the world would die, they would take the money.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Lobolintin(m): 10:08pm On Jan 31, 2013
Nutin wil ever make u guys hapy... I remenber when nairaland fan opend a topic bout d junkyard,nw that d probs is bin adrex,unah dey yarn.. Abegi
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 31, 2013
Sisi_Kill: THANK GOD!!!!

what do you think i go to yahoo news to read mostly...the comments. Most comments are so funny ,you had think these guys are born comedians especially when it comes to news about obama or iran..na dat time you go laugh die.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by ethicalUser(m): 11:04pm On Jan 31, 2013
OkadaAir air crafts should also be dismantled in benin airport..really an eyesore
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by dayokanu(m): 11:21pm On Jan 31, 2013
"One of the most corrupt places on earth. I have friends who work in the oilfield and went there on jobs. They said they would rather slide down a razorblade into a pool of alcohol than go back there!!!"

"I just received an email saying that I won an airplane and should send 50K to receive it."

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 31, 2013
The government should purchase heavy mobile car crushers and send cars and metals crushed to rolling mills across the country.
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by loopine(m): 12:10am On Feb 01, 2013
Goooood devElopment, I like what am hearing a least for a new Year
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by SisiKill1: 1:01am On Feb 01, 2013
mdsocks: what do you think i go to yahoo news to read mostly...the comments. Most comments are so funny ,you had think these guys are born comedians especially when it comes to news about obama or iran..na dat time you go laugh die.
You should see the way I laugh every morning at work. I fear someone might think me callous if they take a peek at my screen and see the headline to the article I am laughing at. . .This NRA and Gun Control issue has brought more comedians into the mix ooh. Don't miss those articles. cheesy cheesy

dayokanu: "One of the most corrupt places on earth. I have friends who work in the oilfield and went there on jobs. They said they would rather slide down a razorblade into a pool of alcohol than go back there!!!"

"I just received an email saying that I won an airplane and should send 50K to receive it."

Dead!!

Rotflmao!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by SisiKill1: 1:09am On Feb 01, 2013
Comedy Hour

Maybe they should load up all those Nigerian princes that keep trying to contact me and fly them and their money out of the country !!!!

About ten years ago I found out I had a long lost brother who died in a traffic accident in Nigeria and left me millions. Still waitin' for the check.

Hey I've Won 3 or 4 National lotterys worth billions But they wanted me to Send them some Money for some Transfer and other such charges. I wonder How Many Pieces of scam Mail are sent per year

Every citizen of Nigeria is on the take. Nothing is done here with some money being exchanged under the table (Okay that's not funny angry angry )

There should be lots of money over there since they have been running scam for years and ripping people off that fall for it. This is another country that needs to be sanitized and then repopulated. (Yikes! embarassed )

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Starts Dismantling Its Plane 'graveyard' by Nobody: 1:14am On Feb 01, 2013
Sisi_Kill: Comedy Hour

Maybe they should load up all those Nigerian princes that keep trying to contact me and fly them and their money out of the country !!!!

About ten years ago I found out I had a long lost brother who died in a traffic accident in Nigeria and left me millions. Still waitin' for the check.

Hey I've Won 3 or 4 National lotterys worth billions But they wanted me to Send them some Money for some Transfer and other such charges. I wonder How Many Pieces of scam Mail are sent per year

Every citizen of Nigeria is on the take. Nothing is done here with some money being exchanged under the table (Okay that's not funny angry angry )

There should be lots of money over there since they have been running scam for years and ripping people off that fall for it. This is another country that needs to be sanitized and then repopulated. (Yikes! embarassed )
You are deluded as I can deduce from your comment. You are missing the topic though. Stop exonerating other nations because they too have their own failures. Dimwit!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Upholds Life-Imprisonment For Naval Officer / Nigeria Spends $1bn To Import Tomato Paste —UNEP / Treasury Looters Should Rot In Jail They Don't Deserve Bail- Falana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.