Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: (17835 Views)

Ethiopia Vs Somalia----the History Behind The Hate / Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles / What Is The History Behind The Gorgeous [edo] Bini's Hair Beads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: by Imoobot(m): 8:27pm On Jan 31, 2013
One of the richest states in West Africa and the homeland of my much-cherished Ibibio, Annang,
Obolo and Oron friends, Akwa Ibom is named after a river, the Qua Iboe (or Kwa Iboe) River.
About 20 miles to the entrance of this river is the popular Qua Iboe
Offshore Oil Terminal and the Qua Iboe Onshore Oil Field (Oil Mining Lease, OML, 13) (btw, Oando owns 40% of that).
Translating Qua Iboe itself was not an easy task. Some records indicate that the river emptied
itself around a settlement in Ibeno called Aqua Obio (meaning 'Big Town') but early European explorers corrupted it to become
Qua Iboe. Today, Aqua Obio includes Mkpanak and its neighbouring settlements. The river itself originates from the
Umuahia Hills in Abia State and travels for about 150 km before it
flows N-S and then empties into the Atlantic Ocean through Eket,
Ibeno LGA of Akwa Ibom State. Its maximum depth is about 10 metres.
There are fears that discharges from the effluent treatment plants
of the nearby Exxon-Mobil company are poisoning the fish
and other organisms in the river with heavy metals such as mercury, cadmium, lead and
chromium. That's according to a very detailed study carried out in 2006 by scholars from the Medical Biochemistry, Chemistry and Animal Science of the Imo State
University and the Federal
University of Technology, Owerri.
See the references if you are interested in the study. Ok, before I forget, Qua Iboe was also the
site of Qua Iboe Mission, the third Protestant Church to arrive Nigeria in 1887. The interesting
thing here is that the mission was founded by Samuel Alexander Bill,
a British missionary and a
Member of the British Empire who devoted his life to preaching to the Efik and Annang speaking
people of the area. He is buried at Ibeno on the bank of the Qua Iboe River beside his wife, Gracie and his very first convert, David Ekong. Next!
Re: The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: by bravetentewa(m): 11:40pm On Dec 03, 2014
Please I need more information regarding this state. I'm currently serving in Akwa Ibom state and I must say that are at a certain level quite hospitable and I intend to base there as well partake in the state. Politics....hence I need to understand the state and its people so that I can follow up. Thanks
Re: The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: by tpiah2: 2:43pm On Dec 04, 2014
aqua is water in english though, are you sure thats not where the name came from.

since most of the south south region is named after rivers [body of water, not the state].
Re: The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: by Ekeminimfon: 11:04pm On Jan 06, 2015
"tpiah2: Quote Post

aqua is water in english though, are you sure thats not where the name came from.

since most of the south south region is named after rivers [body of water, not the state]."

tpiah2,

"Aqua" is a Latin word borrowed into English. In Latin (and now English), it means "water". The same spelling (by virtue of its pronunciation) was adopted by the early European missionaries for the Efik or Ibibio word for "big" or "large". This is where the similarity ends. When Efik became a written language, the correct spelling "akwa" was eventually adopted and is still used. However, proper names with the old spelling remained, for example, Qua Iboe or Iquo. "Akwa" represents the actual phonetic rendition of the word for "big/large" in Efik or Ibibio. There is therefore no semantic connection between "aqua" (Latin/English) and "aqua" (old spelling) or "akwa" (later spelling of the word). A synonym for "akwa" in Efik or Ibibio is "akamba". The generic word for water is "mmong" (Efik) or "mmoong" (Ibibio"wink. An expanse of water such as the sea is called "akpa". To indicate its largeness/wideness, the word "akwa" is added, hence "akwa akpa". The ocean, by virtue of its largeness, may also be referred to as "akwa akpa". "Inyang" is also another word for a body of water larger than a stream.

I hope this clarifies things for you and others who may be wondering
Re: The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: by tpiascope: 9:17pm On Jan 22, 2015
The name aqua means water, many states, areas and regions in nigeria are named after rivers and bodies of water, eg lakes, etc.
Re: The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: by WetinhappenPR: 6:36am On Aug 30, 2016
tpiah2:

since most of the south south region is named after rivers [body of water, not the state].

Aqua is pronounced "Akwa" in Ibibio language. It means Great.

(1) (Reply)

Ooni: Succession Tussle Toughens - Vanguard / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die / 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.