Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,781 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

Living With Your Stepmother - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living With Your Stepmother (3518 Views)

The Day My Stepmother Beat Me Because Of My Sisters Vaginal Infection! / What Was Your Response The First Day You Met Your Stepmother / My Stepmother Wants To Sleep With Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living With Your Stepmother by ARareGem(f): 11:58pm On Jan 31, 2013
Yes, stepmothers. Please, share how you've been able to cope with her all these years? What was it like having a new woman in the house (especially when you're the eldest daugther and had been the 'wife figure' for some time)? How do you cope with her taking charge and changing practically everything in the house? What steps do you take in making sure you all live happily in the house?

And if you're sort of resistant to change, like myself, what has been your experience with your stepmother-good or bad?
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by greatgod2012(f): 3:15am On Feb 01, 2013
It is d most terrible thing to happen to someone.......living with one's stepmum, abeg, its gonna be hell on earth
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by DaDewdropsNVS: 3:37am On Feb 01, 2013
Most of ya are the same age as your step-moms. . .So what exactly is the problem? cheesy
Abi Bianca Ojukwu step-sons nor seniorrrram? grin
Please, you NL old cargos should stop feeling soooooooooo young!
Shiooooooooooooooor!!!
Which Nigerian 'sugar-pop' will go for a second wife that is over 18 years of age? grin

1 Like

Re: Living With Your Stepmother by Nobody: 3:51am On Feb 01, 2013
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by slimyem: 4:19am On Feb 01, 2013
We were friends from day one as my dad made sure to have us introduced early on....but
(especially
when you're the eldest daugther and
had been the 'wife figure' for some
time)? How do you cope with her taking
charge and changing practically
everything in the house?
Can relate very well to the above.Trouble started from here.It was difficult having someone order me around in a house where i had been administrator and commander for years.grin
Telling me which meat to pick or not from the pot of soup,grin..instructing me on some how to's that i felt she didn't know any betterundecided
There were a few issues o..sometimes,I was right and she was wrong and vice versa but we always got through it through communicating our displeasures and apologising to each other afterwards
My dad never got involved until one big one where we kept malice for about one week and when he had to get involved,he said he didn't want any explanations and demanded that we both hug it out there and then.smileyBless him!
All the issues didn't transcend the first two years.We got to know each other better and we got closer.
Today,she is the most amazing person I know.Her kind is rare.
Sent from heaven...i tell you!
She is a big part of what I and siblings are today.
Seeing us together,you wouldn't know she's my step-mum.you'd think she's my sister.
I tell her anything and everything before my dad even gets to know.
Anytime I'm home and my dad isn't around,I sleep in her bedsmiley
She has no regrets joining the family and we(I) have none having her with ussmiley
The "step-mums are wicked or terrible people" stereotype is strange to me still and ever will be.
It helped that we didn't and still do not give room for any external influences or busy bodies.
Glory to God!smiley
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by ARareGem(f): 11:04am On Feb 01, 2013
DaDewdropsNVS: Most of ya are the same age as your step-moms. . .So what exactly is the problem? cheesy

We aren't all as old as our stepmums. In fact, I have not met people in that category. And trust me, there can be problems....
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by ARareGem(f): 11:38am On Feb 01, 2013
Chaircover, we have plenty in common. grin In my case, I wasn't only defending my mum's honour, I was/still am protecting my younger sister like the way a lioness watches after her cubs. And like your dad, mine loves my sister and I dearly. He takes care to protect us from every and anyone. I took advantage of that and almost let things get out of hand by being pretty stubborn and over protective of my sister to the point of turning a left eye to the wrongs she did. Well, I'm more objective now, I try not to get involved when my stepmum disciplines her. smiley
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by ARareGem(f): 11:53am On Feb 01, 2013
@ slimyem, lol at telling you which meat to pick. I have the same issues with her. I mean, the woman hoards everything. It ticks me off. Our home was such a free one. Now there are restrictions everywhere and for every little thing. You must ask before using.

Sometimes, I feel like a stranger in my own home. It's sad.

As for communication, I don't think the woman has heard such a word. It's either her way or the highway. And I sure have been using the highway. grin

But the problem is we are not getting anywhere, and the woman isn't even trying! Funny enough, I sort of picked the woman for my dad.
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 01, 2013
slimyem: We were friends from day one as my dad made sure to have us introduced early on....but
Can relate very well to the above.Trouble started from here.It was difficult having someone order me around in a house where i had been administrator and commander for years.grin
Telling me which meat to pick or not from the pot of soup,grin..instructing me on some how to's that i felt she didn't know any betterundecided
There were a few issues o..sometimes,I was right and she was wrong and vice versa but we always got through it through communicating our displeasures and apologising to each other afterwards
My dad never got involved until one big one where we kept malice for about one week and when he had to get involved,he said he didn't want any explanations and demanded that we both hug it out there and then.smileyBless him!
All the issues didn't transcend the first two years.We got to know each other better and we got closer.
Today,she is the most amazing person I know.Her kind is rare.
Sent from heaven...i tell you!
She is a big part of what I and siblings are today.
Seeing us together,you wouldn't know she's my step-mum.you'd think she's my sister.
I tell her anything and everything before my dad even gets to know.
Anytime I'm home and my dad isn't around,I sleep in her bedsmiley
She has no regrets joining the family and we(I) have none having her with ussmiley
The "step-mums are wicked or terrible people" stereotype is strange to me still and ever will be.
It helped that we didn't and still do not give room for any external influences or busy bodies.
Glory to God!smiley
its because you are mature,you know your left from your right,no one can bully you or toss you around as opposed to if u were 5 or 9 year old,men u for don hear am,there are actually some wicked step moms but they cant try any nonesense with adult children,its only young kids as in the case of a 19year old step mom that used blade to tear her step daughters private part.i tell you what,even though she is arrested now,she could easily do that because the child is young and vulnerable.even though i dont have any step mom and i will never have by the grace of God,i have discovered that women know when to be super nice and when to be ridiculously wicked.they cant be wicked to adult children because they know the consequences
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by ARareGem(f): 8:01pm On Feb 01, 2013
^^
That woman is 'ridiculously wicked', as you put it! My goodness!

People, share your experiences and give your advice as to how to live peaceably with stepmothers...

I'd like to see things from the other side of the coin. If you're a stepmother, how did you make it work with your step-children?
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by ARareGem(f): 8:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
DaDewdropsNVS:
Abi Bianca Ojukwu step-sons nor seniorrrram? grin
Please, you NL old cargos should stop feeling soooooooooo young!
Shiooooooooooooooor!!!
Which Nigerian 'sugar-pop' will go for a second wife that is over 18 years of age? grin

Where did all that come from? You obviously have no experience on this issue, so it's best you don't comment.

This thread is not in the politics' section, it was opened so meaningful advice could be given concerning the issue. And BTW, how old do you even think I am?
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by slimyem: 9:37pm On Feb 01, 2013
ARareGem: @ slimyem, lol at telling you which meat to pick. I have the same issues with her. I mean, the woman hoards everything. It ticks me off. Our home was such a free one. Now there are restrictions everywhere and for every little thing. You must ask before using.

Sometimes, I feel like a stranger in my own home. It's sad.
You are going to have to live with it.
What i did was to start seeing my home as her home too and accepting the fact that she had as much right as I did in that house.
She was a WIFE not a girlfriend....and somehow,I knew I had to let her take charge.It was the most sensible thing to do especially since I wasn't planning to stay in the house forever.
I quickly understood that two captains cannot man one ship and went back to my position as a DAUGHTER.

As for communication, I don't think the woman has heard such a word. It's either her way or the highway. And I sure have been using the highway. grin

But the problem is we are not getting anywhere, and the woman isn't even trying! Funny enough, I sort of picked the woman for my dad.
Rivalry won't help much.
You can't play her roles and she can't play yours.
Someone has to slow down for the other for peace to reign.
Do not stay out or away from her and do not stop trying to talk.Let her know how you feel if she offends you.I'm sure she'd be reasonable.
There must have been something you saw in her that made you sign her up for your dad in the first place.I'm almost certain its still there.
Find and exploit it.
Its a long walk but you'll get there hopefully....just like i did.smiley
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by ARareGem(f): 11:14am On Feb 02, 2013
^^
Yes, it's going to be a lonnng work. But I'll try my best and leave the rest for God. Thanks a lot for the advice. smiley
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by RoyalRoy(m): 11:14am On Feb 02, 2013
slimyem: You are going to have to live with it.
What i did was to start seeing my home as her home too and accepting the fact that she had as much right as I did in that house.
She was a WIFE not a girlfriend....and somehow,I knew I had to let her take charge.It was the most sensible thing to do especially since I wasn't planning to stay in the house forever.
I quickly understood that two captains cannot man one ship and went back to my position as a DAUGHTER.
Rivalry won't help much.
You can't play her roles and she can't play yours.
Someone has to slow down for the other for peace to reign.
Do not stay out or away from her and do not stop trying to talk.Let her know how you feel if she offends you.I'm sure she'd be reasonable.
There must have been something you saw in her that made you sign her up for your dad in the first place.I'm almost certain its still there.
Find and exploit it.
Its a long walk but you'll get there hopefully....just like i did.smiley

Is this Slimyem of early 2012? Funny how I noticed a sudden increase in ur maturity all of a sudden. Well....I guess lots of life's experiences wl make one aspire to be a better person!
Kudos to the new you!!!!
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by Sinachee: 4:32pm On Feb 02, 2013
ARareGem:

We aren't all as old as our stepmums. In fact, I have not met people in that category. And trust me, there can be problems....

ARareGem:

Where did all that come from? You obviously have no experience on this issue, so it's best you don't comment.

This thread is not in the politics' section, it was opened so meaningful advice could be given concerning the issue. And BTW, how old do you even think I am?

NO BE H-INTERNET WE DEY?
Abeg leff sointin.
EVEN MAMA PATIENCE NZOKWOR go come NL to claim sweet siss eko bridge with no teeth for mouth ke! grin

I AM SURE IF 'DEBE' OJUKWU NEVER SHOWED UP. . .BIANCA WOULD HAVE SAID THE SAME THING! cheesy
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by slimyem: 4:46pm On Feb 02, 2013
Royal Roy:

Is this Slimyem of early 2012? Funny how I noticed a sudden increase in ur maturity all of a sudden. Well....I guess lots of life's experiences wl make one aspire to be a better person!
Kudos to the new you!!!!
I don't understand this mumbo jumbo..
There is no "new" me anywhere.
Different topics/situations,different approaches.
You either only see what you want to see and/or get what you ask for when you do.undecided
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by RoyalRoy(m): 6:30pm On Feb 02, 2013
slimyem: I don't understand this mumbo jumbo..
There is no "new" me anywhere.
Different topics/situations,different approaches.
You either only see what you want to see and/or get what you ask for when you do.undecided

Hmmmm.....I see!!!!
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by ARareGem(f): 7:00pm On Feb 02, 2013
Sinachee:

NO BE H-INTERNET WE DEY?
Abeg leff sointin.
EVEN MAMA PATIENCE NZOKWOR go come NL to claim sweet siss eko bridge with no teeth for mouth ke! grin

I AM SURE IF 'DEBE' OJUKWU NEVER SHOWED UP. . .BIANCA WOULD HAVE SAID THE SAME THING! cheesy

There's no point trying to proove myself to you. But I must say that I bask in how highly ya'll think of ARareGem. grin cool
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by Sinachee: 9:49pm On Feb 02, 2013
ARareGem:

There's no point trying to proove myself to you. But I must say that I bask in how highly ya'll think of ARareGem. grin cool

Please, nothing to prove o! Just throwing amd catching ma fun as ususal. The thread is about living with step-mommas. . . .not you abi? I don forget say na you start the thread sef! MUCHECHECHECHE
Re: Living With Your Stepmother by ARareGem(f): 5:09am On Feb 04, 2013
Sinachee:

Please, nothing to prove o! Just throwing amd catching ma fun as ususal. The thread is about living with step-mommas. . . .not you abi? I don forget say na you start the thread sef! MUCHECHECHECHE

Seen. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Fear Of Having A House Help / Beautiful Photos Of Ojukwu's Widow, Bianca Ojukwu And Her Children / This 9-year-old Girl’s Face Was Used To Promote Abortion(Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.