Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres (3682 Views)

ASWMA Vehicle Spotted With Two Of Its Tyres Missing (photos) / PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing / When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by kisibo: 9:18am On Feb 01, 2013
The Director General of Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON), Dr Joseph Odumodu, has said that importers of second hand tyres into the country don’t usually buy them but are paid to help dispose them by the foreign countries.

Odumodu said yesterday in Abuja while addressing newsmen that every country, including Nigeria, is faced with the challenge of disposing tyres after their expiry dates. He said: “What we have found out is that in Europe and America, their tyres have four to five years life span and ours is four. After those years, an average European or American will remove them even if it has not cover 10,000 kilometres for their own safety.

“So our people go to those sites where they keep tyres and I am told that they pay them to help them dispose the tyres and where do they dispose the tyres? In Nigeria, so they bring them to us.” He said that in the last two years, they have seized over five million tyres across the country, adding that their biggest challenge is how to dispose them as their warehouse is already filled up. “Today, we have slowed down with taking these tyres out of the system because we are faced with challenge of how to dispose them. We don’t want to burn them as we will be polluting the environment or throw them in the sea in order not to affect aquatic life,” he said.

He explained that they are discussing with investors to come and set up tyre shredding plants in the country where rubber component of the tyre will be removed from the metal component for steel and cement companies or road construction. “We are discussing with potential investors to assist us in setting up this plant in Nigeria and we have assured them that we will supply them with the raw materials because so far, the unscrupulous importers who bring in the tyres are unrelenting in bringing them and our message is that those tyres are killing Nigerians.

“FRSC said in their website that 20 percent of accidents are caused by using sub-standard and expired tyres and that means that we can prevent the rate of accidents and death in the country,” he said.

http://www.talkofnaija.com/news/111980_shocker-foreigners-pay-nigerians-to-dump-their-used-and-expired-tyres-son

Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by Ladipodeal: 7:21pm On Feb 02, 2013
most accident caused by overinflation not used tyre. FRSC doing nothing to educate the roadside vulcanizer and car owner about the right pressure for their car. Most vulcanizer inflate above 45psi for cars and 60psi for buses. On most brand new chinese made tyre it is clearly written that " never inflate beyond 35psi" some states 40psi.
Most vulcanizer use low quality pressure guage and often use faulty ones.Some of them been in use for over 5yrs. You might end up getting 60psi and above in your tyre due to faulty guage.
Most car owner inflate 40 - 45 psi on their cars when it is clearly written on d car that 30psi. They tell you that manufacturer recommendation not for Nigeria roads

1 Like

Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by babylola: 11:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
kisibo: The Director General of Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON), Dr Joseph Odumodu, has said that importers of second hand tyres into the country don’t usually buy them but are paid to help dispose them by the foreign countries.
Odumodu said yesterday in Abuja while addressing newsmen that every country, including Nigeria, is faced with the challenge of disposing tyres after their expiry dates. He said: “What we have found out is that in Europe and America, their tyres have four to five years life span and ours is four. After those years, an average European or American will remove them even if it has not cover 10,000 kilometres for their own safety.
“So our people go to those sites where they keep tyres and I am told that they pay them to help them dispose the tyres and where do they dispose the tyres? In Nigeria, so they bring them to us.” He said that in the last two years, they have seized over five million tyres across the country, adding that their biggest challenge is how to dispose them as their warehouse is already filled up. “Today, we have slowed down with taking these tyres out of the system because we are faced with challenge of how to dispose them. We don’t want to burn them as we will be polluting the environment or throw them in the sea in order not to affect aquatic life,” he said.
He explained that they are discussing with investors to come and set up tyre shredding plants in the country where rubber component of the tyre will be removed from the metal component for steel and cement companies or road construction. “We are discussing with potential investors to assist us in setting up this plant in Nigeria and we have assured them that we will supply them with the raw materials because so far, the unscrupulous importers who bring in the tyres are unrelenting in bringing them and our message is that those tyres are killing Nigerians.
“FRSC said in their website that 20 percent of accidents are caused by using sub-standard and expired tyres and that means that we can prevent the rate of accidents and death in the country,” he said.
http://www.talkofnaija.com/news/111980_shocker-foreigners-pay-nigerians-to-dump-their-used-and-expired-tyres-son
Please help where can l get all these old tyres from, l need over 3000 tyres to build a tyres wall fence undecided

It would be highly appreciated if the SON, Dr Joseph Odumodu can guide me to the right direction how to obtain these tyres for environmental friendly usage, l am able to use these old tyres for fencing as a tyre wall. Please kindly advise if you can provide me with these tyres for fencing, honourable Dr Joseph Odumodu. Thank you smiley
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by Nobody: 1:23am On Jul 11, 2014
babylola: Please help where can l get all these old tyres from, l need over 3000 tyres to build a tyres wall fence undecided

You can get them from ladipo there is a place where they dump bad ones. I saw some in a place they call "umu nede in power line"

1 Like

Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by Nobody: 4:25am On Jul 11, 2014
Ladipodeal: most accident caused by overinflation not used tyre. FRSC doing nothing to educate the roadside vulcanizer and car owner about the right pressure for their car. Most vulcanizer inflate above 45psi for cars and 60psi for buses. On most brand new chinese made tyre it is clearly written that " never inflate beyond 35psi" some states 40psi.
Most vulcanizer use low quality pressure guage and often use faulty ones.Some of them been in use for over 5yrs. You might end up getting 60psi and above in your tyre due to faulty guage.
Most car owner inflate 40 - 45 psi on their cars when it is clearly written on d car that 30psi. They tell you that manufacturer recommendation not for Nigeria roads

I disagree.

The combination of both is dangerous. When you couple an over inflation situation with a tire that should be out of service then the ensuing situation is no longer an accident but a premeditated incident.
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by 3ace(m): 10:36am On Jul 11, 2014
Ladipodeal: most accident caused by overinflation not used tyre. FRSC doing nothing to educate the roadside vulcanizer and car owner about the right pressure for their car. Most vulcanizer inflate above 45psi for cars and 60psi for buses. On most brand new chinese made tyre it is clearly written that " never inflate beyond 35psi" some states 40psi.
Pls, do you know where I can get a digital tyre pressure gauge in Lagos?
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by adanny01(m): 2:44pm On Jul 11, 2014
I saw a brand new tire with a road side vulcanizer, upon inspection, it was exactly 4yrs. A big man removed this set of tires even when the spare was never used.

I bargained the new one for 5k so i could use for spare as my spare is bad. This man asked for 30k and insisted 20k later, i laughed and took off.

Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by sultaan(m): 4:57pm On Jul 11, 2014
The problem here is simple if they look at the big picture in Nigeria.

In developed country people in any sector(manufacturing) work with the government to set laws and regulation which improves that sector.
In Nigerian these should be tire manufacturers and auto makers in the case neither exist it will be an association of dealers to set standard and importation guidelines which could be something like this.

Up to 50 tires will be considered personal use no duty (for fleet owners with specific needs)
Over 50 duty at 5% of invoice value or estimated value with manufacture date not more that 36 months from date shipped.

on new tires and 35% on used.

The new factory tires on my car Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. Dot M30A DECX is $200 each, how many can afford 4 @$800 because the are low rolling resistance, those things use to cost $35-$60 for better ones but now they are up there.

When you put bad policies in place so that you all can make a buck the importer will bring in what is necessary to make profit and you all still end up making a buck those in government excels in chaos and only those willing to deal with the chaos profit.

By the way I know they treat all Nigerian shippers like criminals who will bring in bad products to sell to their people but why is it that someone would rather buy used instead of new then ship it to sell at New price in the Nigerian market.The cost of shipping is still same but the leeches along the way take out the gains easily.
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 11, 2014
Are there tire manufacturers still in Nigeria?

Maybe the government should stimulate that sector.
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by sultaan(m): 11:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
CityNG: Are there tire manufacturers still in Nigeria?

Maybe the government should stimulate that sector.

That is simple they'll just give Dangote the sole license to import tires into the country chikena
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by uwemjack(m): 12:24am On Jul 13, 2014
3ace: Pls, do you know where I can get a digital tyre pressure gauge in Lagos?

with 2k5 I can get you a reliable digital guage
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 13, 2014
uwemjack:

where and how can we get it?
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by ivoryhouse(m): 1:58pm On Jul 13, 2014
3ace: Pls, do you know where I can get a digital tyre pressure gauge in Lagos?
Shoprite, victoria island

1 Like

Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by 3ace(m): 7:04am On Jul 15, 2014
ivoryhouse:
Shoprite, victoria island
Thanks.
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by 3ace(m): 7:06am On Jul 15, 2014
uwemjack:

Please, mail me your number or state it here. I will contact you shortly. I hope you're in Lagos. aladdeen2000@yahoo.com
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by Bossmd: 9:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
3ace: Please, mail me your number or state it here. I will contact you shortly. I hope you're in Lagos. aladdeen2000@yahoo.com

I'm in need of the digital pPessure Guage please, how do I get it?
Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by uwemjack(m): 10:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
3ace:
Please, mail me your number or state it here. I will contact you shortly. I hope you're in Lagos. aladdeen2000@yahoo.com

Re: NA WAH Ooo !!! Foreigners Pay Nigerians To Dump Their Used And Expired Tyres by AutosBay(m): 8:21am On Dec 01, 2014
Interesting.

(1) (Reply)

What Happens If You Don't Renew Your Vehicle Licence After A Year. / How Much Does An Audi Q7 Cost In Lagos? / How Do I Choose Between A Mercedes GLC, A Landrover Discovery And Volvo CX90

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.