Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,260 members, 7,811,728 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:10 PM

The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government (1475 Views)

Celebrating Mediocrity In Nigeria By Femke Van Zeijl / Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi / Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Afam4eva(m): 9:08pm On Feb 01, 2013
I just watched the farewell speech of the US secretary of state, Hillary Clinton and it just hit me that this she contested against Barrack Obama for the democratic ticket but lost. The person she's passing the baton to, John Kerry was also a democratic presidential candidate who contested against George W Bush. This is just a commentary of the level of intellectuals and experienced people that are heading various agencies in the US. President Barack Obama is not necessarily more intelligent than these two people. They're as intelligent and experienced is not more than the current American president. Obama himself knows what these people have got to offer, that's why he's brought them in to solidify and contribute their wealth of experience to the benefit of America. This goes to show that this is a country where the very best hands are sort after irrespective of the differences that may exist between them...

Nigeria on the other hand, is a country where people who don't have the per-requisite knowledge to run a small business find themselves in the corridor of power. We see a situation whereby a relatively experienced person wants to contest to become a president of governor and he picks a dummy(no offense) to be his vice. he picks someone who's just there to be a figure head without having the know-how to run such an office. These people are mostly picked in other not to pose a challenge to the main man. But sometimes something happens and this deputies become the governor of the state leaving the state at the mercy of luck. It happened in Bayelsa with Goodluck Jonathan, and in Oyo with Alao Akala. The very few deputies that have tried to assert their authority have been shown the way out. It happened with that lady that was Tinubu's vice...

Why can't we have a president and a deputy president that are almost at par in intelligence and experience and can compliment each other. They'll rather go to Bayelsa to pick some who has goodluck and which has gotten him to the level that he is and not because he has any precedence in governance. Why will a Yaradua who was the governor of Katsina state and achieved nothing been brought to lead the largest black nation in the world. Are we dummies that someone who said we should learn to live with bokoharam is our president and someone whose wife makes such ridiculous statements as "Ojukwu may be gone but his manhood lives on". is this a joke of a country? When are we going to have the Soyinkas, Fawehimnis, Suludos, Akunyilis, Iwealas, El Rufais, Fasholas, Chimes become the president of this country rather than people who are clueless and have no idea of what it takes to runa country and only want to learn on the job. When are we going to put square pegs in square holes. When are we going to get rid of mediocre in government?

Afam bu Afam
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by OurYansh: 9:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
Why can't we have a president and a deputy president that are almost at par in intelligence and experience and can compliment each other.

That's the crux of the write-up. The average Nigerian places tribal and religious sentiment far above intellectual acumen and administrative capability.

We saw that during GEJ's 2011 campaign and very sadly I've got a sad feeling that same will happen in 2015. Nigerians are very slow learners....

3 Likes

Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by OurYansh: 9:29pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva: . Why will a Yaradua who was the governor of sokoto state and achieved nothing been brought to lead the largest black nation in the world.

Yar'Adua was governor of Katsina not Sokoto...

Thank me later!!

cheesy
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Afam4eva(m): 9:30pm On Feb 01, 2013
Our Yansh:

Yar'Adua was governor of Katsina not Sokoto...

Thank me later!!

cheesy
Thanks for the correction.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Bella3(f): 9:49pm On Feb 01, 2013
What is this thread supposed to prove?
[s]That gej is clueless and you're not as sentimental as people think?[/s]
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 01, 2013
@poster, this stuff is all in your head.

What makes Hillary Clinton more qualified than any other person to be US secretary of state? All she was was Bill Clinton's wife. I think she had a legal background or something, but she hardly set the world alight with her litigation skills. So why is she secretary of state? What qualifications exactly does she have? She used her money and connections to govern New York earlier on. How did she manage that, and what qualified her for that role?

Obama himself, how exactly is he qualified more than his peers to be US president? Name me his credentials. I can name hundreds of Americans more qualified than him to be in that position. So everyone uses connections to get ahead in this world, not just in Nigeria.

The problem is you already have it in your head that Nigeria is worthless, so you will use every situation you observe, to validate that belief, whether or not it makes sense. Change your belief then you may come to see some worth in your country.

3 Likes

Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by GAR3TH(m): 9:58pm On Feb 01, 2013
And the surprising thing is that Nigeria has an abundance of Intellectuals that can make this country great, some of them even ran for president/governor. But nonetheless the intellectuals constantly keep losing either due to election rigging or Nigerians using the tribal card.

Only in Nigeria will a political party not pick there best preforming politicians as front runners but instead pick random people based on tribe. I mean, why wasn't Donald Duke PDP front runner in the 2007 elections? Duke transformed cross rivers and madeit the most develop and cleanest state in the country. But instead PDP decided to go with Yaradua and Jonathan, knowing both of them did not complete or do anything meaningful while they were governors.

Come 2015 I wont be surprised if Abia or Delta state governors are choosing for PDP president overlooking Awka Ibom, Imo & Rivers governors.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Afam4eva(m): 10:01pm On Feb 01, 2013
GAR3TH: And the surprising thing is that Nigeria has an abundance of Intellectuals that can make this country great, some of them even ran for president/governor. But nonetheless the intellectuals constantly keep losing either due to election rigging or Nigerians placing the tribal card.

Only in Nigeria will a political party not pick there best preforming politicians as front runners but instead pick random people based on tribe. I mean, why wasn't Donald Duke PDP front runner in the 2007 elections? Duke transformed cross rivers and madeit the most develop and cleanest state in the country. But instead PDP decided to go with Yaradua and Jonathan, knowing both of them did not complete or do anything meaningful while they were governors.
It beats me too. One will think that the likes of Donald Duke that was the most celebrated governor during his tenure and Dora Akunyili that was always praised for what she did at NAFDAC will be the ones competing to lead the country. Instead we're giving random nonentities who have nothing of note to their name.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by OurYansh: 10:02pm On Feb 01, 2013
BĂ©lla3: What is this thread supposed to prove?

.. And what point is your comment suppose to convey??
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 10:03pm On Feb 01, 2013
GAR3TH: And the surprising thing is that Nigeria has an abundance of Intellectuals that can make this country great, some of them even ran for president/governor. But nonetheless the intellectuals constantly keep losing either due to election rigging or Nigerians using the tribal card.

What did Obama do before he was elected? What succeeses did he record? He didn't even govern any state. Yet he's president. Politics doesn't really work according to the criteria you've set, whereby 'intellectuals' are elected etc. Politics is a rough and tumble game, largely unsuited to intellectuals, whether in Nigeria or elsewhere. Else Gore Vidal would be US president not Obama.

1 Like

Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Afam4eva(m): 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2013
ROSSIKE: @poster, this stuff is all in your head.

What makes Hillary Clinton more qualified than any other person to be US secretary of state? All she was was Bill Clinton's wife. I think she had a legal background or something, but she hardly set the world alight with her litigation skills. So why is she secretary of state? What qualifications exactly does she have? She used her money and connections to govern New York earlier on. How did she manage that, and what qualified her for that role?

Obama himself, how exactly is he qualified more than his peers to be US president? Name me his credentials. I can name hundreds of Americans more qualified than him to be in that position. So everyone uses connections to get ahead in this world, not just in Nigeria.

The problem is you already have it in your head that Nigeria is worthless, so you will use every situation you observe, to validate that belief, whether or not it makes sense. Change your belief then you may come to see some worth in your country.
Pls can you just rest your overly patriotism and see issues for what they are. Are you saying the Goodluck Jonathan is the best that Nigeria can offer? I'm not saying that Obama, Hillary or John Kerry are the best but they're in the top 5%. In Nigeria we have people that are not even in the top 50% ruling the country.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Bella3(f): 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2013
Our Yansh:

.. And what point is your comment suppose to convey??
that my as.s is quoting my post beats me.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 10:05pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pls can you just rest your overly patriotism and see issues for what they are.

Can you rest your unpatriotism for once and see issues for how they are?

Are you saying the Goodluck Jonathan is the best that Nigeria can offer? I'm not saying that Obama, Hillary or John Kerry are the best but they're in the top 5%. In Nigeria we have people that are not even in the top 50% ruling the country.

HOW are Obama, Hillary and John Kerry in the top 5%? And 5% of WHAT exactly?

Tell us exactly HOW you reached your conclusion.

1 Like

Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Afam4eva(m): 10:06pm On Feb 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

What did Obama do before he was elected? What succeeses did he record? He didn't even govern any state. Yet he's president. Politics doesn't really work according to the criteria you've set, whereby 'intellectuals' are elected etc. Politics is a rough and tumble game, largely unsuited to intellectuals, whether in Nigeria or elsewhere. Else Gore Vidal would be US president not Obama.
Obama was a senator and apart from that his education and most especially his knowlede which he conveyed vocally won him the election. How many Nigerian leader have you heard talk and make you want to vote for them. They can't even state in clear terms why they want to become the president. Listen to Obama's speeches and you'll see someone that knows what he wants to achieve and Americans have bought into his vision.

1 Like

Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Afam4eva(m): 10:07pm On Feb 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

HOW are Obama, Hillary and John Kerry in the top 5%? And 5% of WHAT exactly?

My figures are not necessarily factual but the point is that these people are in the top tier of intellectuals in America.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva: Obama was a senator and apart from that his education and most especially his knowlede which he conveyed vocally won him the election.

Sorry this is just hot air. Jonathan was a deputy governor of a state so actually had more administrative experience than Obama before assuming office. Jonathan is educated to doctorate level, unlike Obama who has a Bachelors. Jonathan campaigned across the country and won over the people, and was voted in in the fairest election ever seen in this country. So what's your problem?

How many Nigerian leader have you heard talk

Loads. But realistically how many nations on earth have an 'Obama', a politician whose speeches are so 'captivating' that everyone melts when he speaks? None that I know of, and that's saying a lot.

Comparing any leader to Obama and asking why that leader is 'not like Obama' is foolhardy in the extreme because Obama is an 'anomaly' in the political universe.

They can't even state in clear terms why they want to become the president. Listen to Obama's speeches and you'll see someone that knows what he wants to achieve and Americans have bought into his vision.

I doubt you actually EVER listened to any single one of Jonathan's campaign speeches prior to his election. You're one of those who feel wayyy too big to attend Nigerian campaign rallies, but you will go out of your way to hear Obama fart. But you'll be quick to criticise the same Nigerian campaign speeches which you never listened to or attended.

2 Likes

Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
My figures are not necessarily factual but the point is that these people are in the top tier of intellectuals in America.

HOW did you reach that conclusion?
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Omexonomy: 10:21pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva: I just watched the farewell speech of the US secretary of state, Hillary Clinton and it just hit me that this she contested against Barrack Obama for the democratic ticket but lost. The person she's passing the baton to, John Kerry was also a democratic presidential candidate who contested against George W Bush. This is just a commentary of the level of intellectuals and experienced people that are heading various agencies in the US. President Barack Obama is not necessarily more intelligent than these two people. They're as intelligent and experienced is not more than the current American president. Obama himself knows what these people have got to offer, that's why he's brought them in to solidify and contribute their wealth of experience to the benefit of America. This goes to show that this is a country where the very best hands are sort after irrespective of the differences that may exist between them...

Nigeria on the other hand, is a country where people who don't have the per-requisite knowledge to run a small business find themselves in the corridor of power. We see a situation whereby a relatively experienced person wants to contest to become a president of governor and he picks a dummy(no offense) to be his vice. he picks someone who's just there to be a figure head without having the know-how to run such an office. These people are mostly picked in other not to pose a challenge to the main man. But sometimes something happens and this deputies become the governor of the state leaving the state at the mercy of luck. It happened in Bayelsa with Goodluck Jonathan, and in Oyo with Alao Akala. The very few deputies that have tried to assert their authority have been shown the way out. It happened with that lady that was Tinubu's vice...

Why can't we have a president and a deputy president that are almost at par in intelligence and experience and can compliment each other. They'll rather go to Bayelsa to pick some who has goodluck and which has gotten him to the level that he is and not because he has any precedence in governance. Why will a Yaradua who was the governor of Katsina state and achieved nothing been brought to lead the largest black nation in the world. Are we dummies that someone who said we should learn to live with bokoharam is our president and someone whose wife makes such ridiculous statements as "Ojukwu may be gone but his manhood lives on". is this a joke of a country? When are we going to have the Soyinkas, Fawehimnis, Suludos, Akunyilis, Iwealas, El Rufais, Fasholas, Chimes become the president of this country rather than people who are clueless and have no idea of what it takes to runa country and only want to learn on the job. When are we going to put square pegs in square holes. When are we going to get rid of mediocre in government?

Afam bu Afam
As as how.
Brotherly advice: for ur own good and the good of people arround you stop drinking raw enthanol and stop smoking strong indian hemp. And please please and please Please help us beg fashola he has being going about closing markets in lagos and demanding 50million naira from each of the market.
Ketu market
boundry ajegunle market
orile market
alaber suru market
coker building material market (they paid 65million b4 the market was reopen)
more comming up soon.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Omexonomy: 10:27pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pls can you just rest your overly patriotism and see issues for what they are. Are you saying the Goodluck Jonathan is the best that Nigeria can offer? I'm not saying that Obama, Hillary or John Kerry are the best but they're in the top 5%. In Nigeria we have people that are not even in the top 50% ruling the country.
. Mr afam go and contest and see how u will succed. And please please and please Please help us beg fashola he has being going about closing markets in lagos and demanding 50million naira from each of the market.
Ketu market
boundry ajegunle market
orile market
alaber suru market
coker building material market (they paid 65million b4 the market was reopen)
more comming up soon.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 10:31pm On Feb 01, 2013
Joe Biden looks like a dummy to me.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by dayokanu(m): 10:32pm On Feb 01, 2013
ROSSIKE: HOW are Obama, Hillary and John Kerry in the top 5%? And 5% of WHAT exactly?

Hilary clinton Yale law School

John Kerry - Yale law School

Barack Obama - Harvard law School

Mitt Romney - Harvard business School

George W Bush - Harvard Business School

Bill Clinton - Yale Law School

Do you see the similarities
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 10:34pm On Feb 01, 2013
dayokanu:

Hilary clinton Yale law School

John Kerry - Yale law School

Barack Obama - Harvard law School

Mitt Romney - Harvard business School

George W Bush - Harvard Business School

Bill Clinton - Yale Law School

Do you see the similarities

Do you seriously think these people got into Yale and Harvard because they were among the most intelligent people in America?

And what does this Yale stuff mean anyway? Are you saying Jonathan would be a better leader had he gotten his degree from UNIFE or UI as opposed to UNICAL?
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by donchris369: 10:38pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam i am very sorry for you. I used to think that you were intelligent before, but you are proving me wrong. This your analogy is the worste analogy i have ever seen in the history of mankind comparing america and nigeria trying to pass a message tactically that jonathan is not qualified to be president. Why not put the title of your thread # nigeria should drop federal character#. Nigeria is a multi-ethnic and religious country unlike the usa. Yes, we need intelligence, expertise and proffessionalism in leadership, but, how do you address this issue is the one million question. When one ethnic group refuses to go to school and get educated, and another ethnic groug goes to school and attain to the highest height of education, intelligence and proffesionalism and you as a leader tries to recruit the later, you know in a country like nigeria you are only brewing for war. Every ethnic group want to be represented whether intelligent or not. So the question is how do we solve this federal character bullshit. On a deputy taking over from his superior(governor or president) if a case of relinquishing the superior's post arises, is it not in the nigeria constitution? Or do you want us to start going against our constitution? On jonathan's intelligence, is it just now that you are realizing that all nigeria's leaders both past and present are mediocre. You didnt know that during gowon, murtala, obasanjo, shagari, buhari, ibb, abacha and obj again's time? Or is this hilary clinton farewell speech this night the nice opportunity to come and campaign for buhari 2015? Haba! Afam you really surprised me this night. So, how does patience english affect Gej's governance? Is the first lady's english enshrined in our constition to make nigeria better?

1 Like

Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by dayokanu(m): 10:40pm On Feb 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Do you seriously think these people got into Yale and Harvard because they were among the most intelligent people in America?

Yeah they do

The test scores required to get into these schools are one of the highest anywhere in the world

To get into Harvard or any Ivy league schools In most cases you need to have excellent scores

Or do you think Barack Obamas father "legged" him into Harvard ni or you think Bill Clinton parents were rich people who paid money to get him into Yale

Below is the house Clinton grew up in
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by dayokanu(m): 10:42pm On Feb 01, 2013
ROSSIKE: And what does this Yale stuff mean anyway? Are you saying Jonathan would be a better leader had he gotten his degree from UNIFE or UI as opposed to Unical?

These US leaders were some of the most intelligent academically and had a track record unlike someone like Jonathan who wanted to contest for LGA chairman and somehow found himself in presidency. One of the dullest Nigerians ever occupying Aso Rock
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by fkaz(m): 10:43pm On Feb 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

My broda, OBAMA YES WE CAN!
I don't think americans count on your past achievement or your credentials. It is all about what you can offer that is why they concentrate on debate during campaign(what are your plans,what do you have to offer).
And that is why nigeria has miss the point.
Sorry to say this, seen you as one of Azikiwe jonathan apostle. He was a former deputy governor,former governor, former vice president,thus it make him a better president? No. he still clueless, even if you won't agree.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 01, 2013
^^Dayokanu, Connections are used by the elite in America just like everywhere else. And you do not need to be intelligent to get ''high scores'' if you have the connections. George W Bush could hardly spell simple words, had no idea that Brazil had black folks living there, made the most basic grammatical errors, and yet he was a Harvard alumni who ended up becoming US president. Says it all really. Reagan before him had no real formal education, and was a Hollywood actor.

And do take off that silly picture as it's messing up the thread.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Afam4eva(m): 10:53pm On Feb 01, 2013
ROSSIKE: ^^Dayokanu, Connections are used by the elite in America just like everywhere else. And you do not need to be intelligent to get ''high scores'' if you have the connections. George W Bush could hardly spell simple words, had no idea that Brazil had black folks living there, made the most basic grammatical errors, and yet he was a Harvard alumni who ended up becoming US president. Says it all really. Reagan before him had no real formal education, and was a Hollywood actor.

And do take off that silly picture as it's messing up the thread.
So, does not knowing the demography of a place mean that someone is not intelligent? Human beings are pron to errors as long as these errors don't occur all the time.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by pokur: 10:54pm On Feb 01, 2013

.......uhm dude,Hillary never governed New York.She was the junior senator from New York,a seat she won by large margins her two elections.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 11:05pm On Feb 01, 2013
donchris369: Afam i am very sorry for you. I used to think that you were intelligent before, but you are proving me wrong. This your analogy is the worste analogy i have ever seen in the history of mankind comparing america and nigeria trying to pass a message tactically that jonathan is not qualified to be president. Why not put the title of your thread # nigeria should drop federal character#. Nigeria is a multi-ethnic and religious country unlike the usa. Yes, we need intelligence, expertise and proffessionalism in leadership, but, how do you address this issue is the one million question. When one ethnic group refuses to go to school and get educated, and another ethnic groug goes to school and attain to the highest height of education, intelligence and proffesionalism and you as a leader tries to recruit the later, you know in a country like nigeria you are only brewing for war. Every ethnic group want to be represented whether intelligent or not. So the question is how do we solve this federal character bullshit.

This is a big lie. There is no nation on earth that is as multi ethnic and multi religious as the United States. It is a fusion pot of every race, creed, tongue, ethnicity and religion on earth. America has peoples of Italian, German, Japanese, Igbo, dutch, English, Chinese, Spanish, Yoruba, French, Polynesian and Scandinavian descent to mention very few.

How come they don't have the same problems with ethnicity and religion that Nigeria has? And please don't say its because whites are the major demographic as that argument does not hold water since blacks are the only demographic in Nigeria. If whites of different ethnicities as I mentioned above can unite for their common good, what of the blacks in Nigeria who don't have other races to contend with?

How come Americans willingly surrender their native/ancestral languages and culture for the common language and culture of the country? How come you can be born in one state and represent another state in a political office? How come you dont't hear of Swedish Americans killing German-Americans in ethno-religious riots? Are they not of one race yet different ethnicities? Yet we have blacks killing each other in Naija over religion and ethnicity.
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 11:08pm On Feb 01, 2013

When did Hil Clinton Govern NY?

Why dont you just stick to topics which youre well versed in?
Re: The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government by Nobody: 11:11pm On Feb 01, 2013
J12: Joe Biden looks like a dummy to me.

Well, unfortunately for you hes one of the most brilliant U.S politicians breathing today.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Peter Obi Now Special Adviser To Jonathan On Foreign Affairs? / Army Captures Boko-Haram Leaders, Recovers Weapons In Borno, Yobe / Who's To Be Held Responsible For Niger-delta's Underdevelopment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.