Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,418 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana (7531 Views)

Senate Moves To Amend CCB, Administration Of Criminal Justice / [PHOTOS] 7 Powerful Nigerians EFCC Has Gone After Since Buhari Came To Power / Senate Passes Criminal Justice Bill, Confirms Nweze Supreme Court Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by thelastPope(m): 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2013
slim fit :

Good question but ACN members should come out and answer this question and avoid telling us you are minorities oh explain to us pls.

Interestingly, the combined power of the ACN and CPC house members determined the emergence of the current speaker of the house against the wishes of the PDP. All the power of the PDP could not stop it. So I wonder why they have never exercised their influence since then to make a difference. They seem to just be waiting for 2015 and telling us all to vote them in. funny.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by thelastPope(m): 1:15pm On Feb 02, 2013
olabukola: Wow did you guys noticed how Mr gbawe turned a blind eye to lastpope's post.

You know how it is na! We know how e dey go!
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 02, 2013
thelastPope:

The problem I have with you ACN folks is that you turn everything into a political campaign and have no true love for Nigeria. Simple questions for you:

1. Why have the opposition never sponsored bills to change these laws?

2. Do the opposition have to wait for them to produce a president to sponsor these bills? No matter the party in power in the USA, the opposition will always raise and try to push through, bills that reflect their ideology, whether they are passed on not. That is what they actually use in their campaign to come back to power.

3. Why have the opposition never implemented or championed anti-corruption laws and projects in their controlled states. Their states are as corrupt as any PDP states and sometimes even more as they perpetuate a one man rule system.

4. Why are opposition members of NASS part and parcel of the corruption in the NASS? They are all represented in all the corrupt committees in the house of reps and have never raised objections to corruption. I would have expected them to expose the ruling party practices in the house and actually use that as springboards to gain public acceptance, but they have chosen instead to be part and parcel of the corruption and only come out to say GEJ is corrupt when they want to do a political campaign.

So when you say PDP must go, I wonder what you mean. Which PDP? Go where? In the last two presidential elections, ACN has presented two former PDP persons as their presidential candidates. In 2007, ACN presented Atiku Abubarkar, one of the biggest thieves in Nigeria, as their presidential candidate. In 2011, the ACN again presented a former PDP person as their presidential candidate and the ACN leader was in Aso rock to make a deal with PDP and collect agunje. How are they going to now fight corruption? The last governorship candidate for ACN in Akwa Ibom state was a former PDP senator who for 8 good years, did nothing in the senate but collect money. The list can go on and on. Even the twitter warlord El Rufai was a former PDP corrupt politician who sold lands in Abuja to his cronies. Are these the alternative that would fight corruption?

The antidote to good governance is pressure from the people, not your proposed exchange of kettle with pot! Most of you keep showing yourselves up as party members doing early campaign in 2013 rather than concerned Nigerians who would love to see a new and a changed Nigeria! Sad!

[size=25]well said.[/size]
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Our current democratic experiment began in 1999. The PDP has been in control of the Federal government since then. When have they made any serious effort to reform critical sectors/parastatals/organisations like the judiciary, NNPC, Nigerian Police force et al? Can you logically fault the argument that it is wrong and self-destructive for PDP Presidents, one after the other, to continue going for crooks as AGF/Minister of justice for a critical sector long overdue for reform?

Furthermore, how does it help things for any us to be obsessing over when a problem began? Is considerations no longer about those currently in charge seeking solutions? When those who are in charge then deliberately worsen the problem with the woeful appointments they make, what point are you getting at here talking of the ACN and toll payment? How is that relevant to how PDP Presidents deliberately , and of their own free will, ignore great dsiciples of the law to choose blunt and ineffective tools as AGF/Minister of justice thereby rendering efforts to reform the judiciary 'dead on arrival'?

Like I always say, we can all have our biases and affiliations. What I find incredible is the way some Nigerians have uniquely distinguished our Nation as one where grown adults are unable to call a spade a spade and likely to ignore factual/logical submissions to begin arguing emotionally.

If i should remind you the topic at hand, i will say that you are derailing this thread. Mods take note. We are talking of corruption and the justice system and you are here talking about ACN. We have ACN lawmakers so talk to them not here.

Btw, was OBJ part of this PDP or not? Who was the last 8yr spending President in Nigeria? Can you catch a kitchen sit and sit down?
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Gbawe: 1:29pm On Feb 02, 2013
omenka:
Nigeria is indeed in a big mess!!! I saw one of those attorney generals @ a club last nyt acting like a taut with two policemen standing guard. It's a damn shame! I looked @ him and was like, heck, can't believe this was thesame man that caused the country sooo much problenm! Lord have mercy. Indeed, these men are irrideemable perverts!

Indeed. Issues are more straightforward than some clannish dolts would have us believe. Nigeria has always had some sterling legal practitioners totally devoted to justice like Gani Fawehinmi, Femi falana et al. These men have taken on many, many cases for free in their fight to gain justice for Nigeria and Nigerians.

Whether it is fighting against the death sentence of Ken Saro-Wiwa or the plight of the ogoni people, or for GEJ to be sworn in as acting President, according to the constitution, these men show up consistently to be counted.

Now, ask youself why Yar Adua ignored such men to go for a mediocre crook like Aondoakaa whose professional career consisted of defending crooks like Ibori.

Why, likewise, did GEJ ignore the Falanas of the world to go for the ultra-corrupt Adoke-Bello linked with far too many scandals than one can even count?

Are those appointments not powerful indicators both President simply wanted a 'Voltron' for their pals and a tool to keep affairs "business as usual" for the corrupt?

Who should be the champion of penal/judicial reform if not the AGF/minister of justice? Yet we have never heard peep from Aondoakaa or Adoke-Bello let alone a passionate campaign for reformation of what is clearly an offensive, highly biased, pro-elite and ineffective penal code. The right AGF would be appealing the judgement vehemently and not be indifferent and nonchalant as Adoke-Bello is.

The silly argument of opposition sponsoring a bill is also one of the most inane things I have heard and an indication some just enjoy defending those they are affiliated to blindly. The ruling Party enjoys a considerable majority in the upper and lower house. The PDP provides the Senate President and deputy senate President. The Party also produces the Speaker of the lower house. It has been so since 1999 and the responsibility of leading by example must fall mainly on the ruling Party for the situation we are in where the 1914 penal code delivered by colonial masters remain unchanged today.

Furthermore, these charlatan here talking about ACN/opposition not sponsoring bill negating the ugly state of affairs are liars. They have done so and continue to do so even in this recent case of this pension scam. Those not privy to the work of the opposition legislators think they can lie here to deceive the gullible and those not into reading. You can sponsor as many bills as you want but that will not make the PDP majority go along. Also, as seen below the upper or lower house can compel the AGF to act all they want. That does not mean he will accede to their request. It is the biggest lie, told to deceive the intellectually lazy, that the opposition is not doing its duty in our upper and lower Houses.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/n32b-pension-fraud-more-outrage-over-light-sentence/

N32b pension fraud: More outrage over ‘light sentence’
Posted by: Our Reporter on January 31, 2013 in News 11 Comments

THERE was more outrage yesterday over the “light sentence” given a former deputy director of the Police Pension office who pleaded guilty to fraud.
The House of Representatives insisted that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the office of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Justice Minister, should “as a metter of urgency” appeal the six-year jail sentence and the option of N750,000 fine given Mr. John Yakubu Yusufu by Justice Abubakar Talba, who admitted to being part of those who stole N32billion pension cash.
The Anti-Corruption Network (ACN), in collaboration with the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) and the Association of Unemployed Youths of Nigeria (AUYN), organised a protest march to the Supreme Court and the office of the Justice Minister in Abuja. The National Association of Ondo State students also faulted the judgment.
The House of Representatives resolved to amend Section 309 of the Penal Code and Criminal Code to reflect the realities of today.
[size=14pt]The decision of the lawmakers followed the adoption of a motion under a matter of urgent public importance by the Minority Whip, Samson Osagie (ACN, Edo), who said as responsive lawmakers, the House could not afford to be silent on such a sensitive issue.[/size]

Jerry Manwe (PDP, Taraba) said by the judgment, what the court has done is to encourage public office holders to steal public funds and keep some aside for settlement of fines by the courts.
“My appeal is that the National Assembly should look into the law and amend it so that people don’t come into public offices, steal with impunity and get away with it,” he said.
Udo Ibeji (PDP, Abia) argued that the legislature should be blamed for the ridiculous penalties, Kamil Akinlabi (ACN, Oyo) said the lawmakers have no constitutional powers to review a court judgment.
Minority Leader Femi Gbajabiamila (ACN, Lagos) blamed the judge.
He said the judge was provided with options in the judgment but decided to go with the most controversial alternative.
“The provisions of the law give the adjudicating officer the option of fine, that is to use his discretion and it is left to him to use it reasonably. Why should that discretion be abused to that level.
“To exonerate the judiciary is wrong, the blame should be placed squarely on the judge and not the National Assembly. I believe that those that crafted the laws never in their wildest imagination contemplated that someone can steal that much,” he said.
On whether the lawmakers have the powers to review a court judgment, Gbajabiamila cited Section 88 of the constitution, saying the National Assembly is empowered to deliberate on any matter that borders on good governance.
“This s not a review of the judgment, what we are doing is looking at the judgment with a view of tidying up the law”.

2 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Gbawe: 1:30pm On Feb 02, 2013
okpara ugo:

If i should remind you the topic at hand, i will say that you are derailing this thread. Mods take note. We are talking of corruption and the justice system and you are here talking about ACN. We have ACN lawmakers so talk to them not here.

Btw, was OBJ part of this PDP or not? Who was the last 8yr spending President in Nigeria? Can you catch a kitchen sit and sit down?

Get lost you clannish twerp. Did I mention the ACN or did you? It is obvious I am blaming the ineffectiveness of the ruling Party vis-a-vis it's abysmal and poor effort to promote judicial reform when it has the power and numbers to do so. Anyway, is always obvious what side of any argument your ilk will be on.

If, for example, I am mad at what the ruling Party (the PDP) has made of our Police force, how does that mean the ACN is involved in my stance? Is it not inane how some of you think here? Since you know which Party some support, you must judge all their utterances in relation to that? Because I support the ACN, does that mean I cannot rightly point out what the ruling Party is doing wrong?

Is the NPF not entirely under the jurisdiction of the FG and thus the PDP? Please let us start calling a spade a spade in Nigeria. This devotion to ethnicity, individuals, political Parties et al is displayed too much here. Beyond knowing I support the ACN, why don't you discredit all I level against PDP Presidents specifically their penchant for sabotaging the judiciary via the deployment of crooks as AGF/Minister of justice who then go on to work openly and directly for the most corrupt men and women in the land? Is that a lie? Is that something Nigerians, regardless of ethnic or Party affiliation, should desire or accommodate? I.e one crooked Attorney general of the federation after another chosen by one PDP President after the other? Please you guys should stop this shameful antics of attaching ethnic/Party affiliation to everything. This is about what the ruling Party has the power to do yet is failing to do.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Look, ignore characters like that. They are losers and clannish twerps who will never in their worthless lives be able to call a spade a spade. Have I lied that PDP Presidents have a penchant for deploying crooks and immoral mediocrities as AGF?

Do we not have principled, upright disciples of the law more fitting for such an office in a Nation that badly needs comprehensive and thorough judicial reform? Who should be the arrowhead or champion of such reforms if not the AGF? When President after Presidents deliberately shun principled men to go for crooked charlatans and extortionist, is it not only clannish sycophants who will defend the self-destructive appointments of such Presidents?

Whatever ethnic group or Political Party we are associated with should not blind us to the concept of how it should still be round pegs for round holes as solid base to lay reform foundation upon. That is what is responsible for the progress we enviously see others making yet lack the mindset and unity to demand for in Nigeria.

Instead Nigeria appears doomed with how it is clannish folks, dedicated to ethnicity and sectional bias, arguing against the simple principle that you cannot deliver reform using the wrong tool same as it is utterly ridiculous trying to cut a vastly overgrown lawn with a pair of small scissors. There are some things, regardless of ethnic or sectional affiliations, we should all agree over. For example, we can all agree the President who deploys a crook as AGF is not serious about judicial reform.

Well said but dont mention ACN again or....
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by thelastPope(m): 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Indeed. Issues are more straightforward than some clannish dolts would have us believe. Nigeria has always had some sterling legal practitioners totally devoted to justice like Gani Fawehinmi, Femi falana et al. These men have taken on my cases for free in their fight to gain justice for Nigeria and Nigerians.

Whether it is fighting against the death sentence of Ken Saro-Wiwa or the plight of the ogoni people, these men show up consistently to be counted.

Now, ask youself why Yar Adua ignored such men to go for a mediocre crook like Aondoakaa whose professional career consisted of defending crooks like Ibori.

Why, likewise, did GEJ ignore the Falanas of the world to go for the ultra-corrupt Adoke-Bello linked with far too many scandals than one can even count?

Are those appointments not powerful indicators both President simply wanted a 'Voltron' for their pals and a tool to keep affairs "business as usual" for the corrupt?

Who should be the champion of penal/judicial reform if not the AGF/minister of justice? Yet we have never heard peep from Aondoakaa or Adoke-Bello let alone a passionate campaing for reformation of what is clearly an offensive, highly biased, pro-elite and ineffective penal code. The right AGF would be appealing the judgement vehemently and not be indifferent and nonchalant as Adoke-Bello is.

The silly argument of opposition sponsoring a bill is also one of the most inane things I have heard and an indication some just enjoy defending those they are affiliated to blindly. The ruling Party enjoys a considerable majority in the upper and lower house. The PDP provides the Senate President and deputy senate President. The Party also produces the Speaker of the lower house. It has been so since 1999 and the responsibility of leading by example must fall mainly on the ruling Party for the situation we are in where the 1914 penal code delivered by colonial masters remain unchanged today.

Furthermore, these charlatan here talking about ACN/opposition not sponsoring bill negating the ugly state of affairs are liars. They have done so and continue to do so even in this recent case of this pension scam. Those not privy to the work of the opposition legislators think they can lie here to deceive the gullible and those not into reading. You can sponsor as many bills as you want but that will not make the PDP majority go along. Also, as seen below the upper or lower house can compel the AGF to act all they want. That does not mean he will accede to their request. It is the biggest lie, told to deceive the intellectually lazy, that the opposition is not doing its duty in our upper and lower Houses.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/n32b-pension-fraud-more-outrage-over-light-sentence/

Interestingly, the combined power of the ACN and CPC house members determined the emergence of the current speaker of the house against the wishes of the PDP. All the power of the PDP could not stop it. So I wonder why they have never exercised their influence since then to make a difference. They seem to just be waiting for 2015 and telling us all to vote them in.

If they could come out all guns blazing when they needed someone to be speaker, how can you now say they should take the back seat when it comes to pushing for accountability? Interestingly, the leader of the Integrity group in the house which the ACN all supported and rode on was Farouk Lawan, another PDP thief! There were ACN members in all the corrupt committees that have been exposed. The ACN house members all joined in the aye chorus in the Otedola-Farouk saga! They didnt even distinguish themselves by asking why Farouk has suddenly chosen to remove his name from the list!

Shouting about corruption on the pages of newspaper is not fighting corruption. They are elected representatives of the people and have an obligation to stop corruption. It isnt optional. Your news clip is very funny. OBJ has come out to speak against corruption and he is PDP. Atiku even said the same last week and he is PDP. Speaking against corruption is a cheap shot anyone can throw about. We need people who will take action and there is no better person placed to take action than an elected officer in the legislative arm of the country. You cannot excuse them by any means.

I will repeat it again. What we need is for every Nigerian to stand up and insist on good governance and accountability from all those in power, from LGA to state to FG. Changing from yam to cocoyam will not make any difference. Whichever party is in power should be put on the hot seat. All politicians should be put on the hot seat. In fact, if you have any love for Nigeria, you should be very very angry at your representative in the house and senate and state houses of assembly for not turning the fire on. It is interesting that the only time the house put the president under pressure was when he refused to release money and when Farouk was under fire. Shame!

1 Like

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by thelastPope(m): 1:56pm On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Get lost you clannish twerp. Did I mention the ACN or did you? It is obvious I am blaming the ineffectiveness of the ruling Party vis-a-vis it's abysmal and poor effort to promote judicial reform when it has the power and numbers to do so. Anyway, is always obvious what side of any argument your ilk will be on.

If, for example, I am mad at what the ruling Party (the PDP) has made of our Police force, how does that mean the ACN is involved in my stance? Is it not inane how some of you think here? Since you know which Party some support, you must judge all their utterances in relation to that? Because I support the ACN, does that mean I cannot rightly point out what the ruling Party is doing wrong?

Is the NPF not entirely under the jurisdiction of the FG and thus the PDP? Please let us start calling a spade a spade in Nigeria. This devotion to ethnicity, individuals, political Parties et al is displayed too much here. Beyond knowing I support the ACN, why don't you discredit all I level against PDP Presidents specifically their penchant for sabotaging the judiciary via the deployment of crooks as AGF/Minister of justice who then go on to work openly and directly for the most corrupt men and women in the land? Is that a lie? Is that something Nigerians, regardless of ethnic or Party affiliation, should desire or accommodate? I.e one crooked Attorney general of the federation after another chosen by one PDP President after the other? Please you guys should stop this shameful antics of attaching ethnic/Party affiliation to everything. This is about what the ruling Party has the power to do yet is failing to do.

Funny statement coming from you when you were the one that turned the thread into a party thread. The thread is about powerful Nigerians hijacking justice! Tinubu is a part of those powerful Nigerians! In your own partisan world, powerful Nigerians=PDP. But we all know better. Powerful Nigerians exist in all the parties. Lagos state hijacked justice in the last LGA elections. As long as you keep coming up with these your "campaign posters" on NL, we will continue to call you out. We need a new Nigeria not a new party!

2 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by nadias877(f): 2:28pm On Feb 02, 2013
The major problem of Nigeria is corruption and that was why I voted for Buhari. Everyone kept saying he's got no vision that all he wants to do is deal with people who embezzled public funds. If that's the only thing he achieves if he were the president, then I think he has solved Nigeria's problem cos corruption is our only problem.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by thelastPope(m): 2:37pm On Feb 02, 2013
nadias877: The major problem of Nigeria is corruption and that wassss why I voted for Buhari. Everyone kept saying he's got no vision that all he wants to do is to deal with people who embezzled public funds. If that's the only mission he has, then I think he has solved Nigeria's problem cos corruption is our only problem.

Buhari was there for 20 months before. what did he achieve? He was PTF chairman for five years. What did he achieve? Can you point to the infrastructure that he spent over 100 billion naira on? Do you know what the value of 100 billion naira was between 1994 to 1999? That the man presents himself like a poor man doesnt mean he is poor. It is only an act! The only thing that will change Nigeria is action from the people to insist on good governance and accountability, not any so called messiah of a man! It is total laziness from people like you who dont want to take responsibility as Nigerians to insist on good governance that is the problem of Nigeria, not corruption. You are looking up to a 70+ years old man to come and change the country? Isnt that a big shame on you? One voice of change is what we need! Not a new person or a new party. Whatever party wins at the polls should be put under pressure to perform. Criticism based on issues is fine. Why I always call out some people on here is because they do not criticize as Nigerians. They criticize as party members.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by dejijohns(m): 3:13pm On Feb 02, 2013
A time is coming in the nearest future when U'l ask a kid what he wants 2 become in the future, and all U'l hear frm im is; Politician, Thief, Kidnapper etc. Cos it is glaring dat crime pays in this our dear country. God help US...
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by gunuvi(m): 4:55pm On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

This is why some us hold that, fundamentally, the PDP has to go. No PDP President, since 1999, has shown an interest in the genuine reform of critical/transformational sectors that can turn around Nigeria drastically. We do not need to belabour the notion that a strong judiciary is needed to negate the lawlessness and "justice for sale" impunity now consuming and shaming Nigeria.

What then are Nigerian Presidents playing at, doing the opposite of what is required, deploying AGF/Minister of justice who are ultra-corrupt and morally bankrupt men like Aondoakaa and Adoke-Bello? Yet we all saw Yar Adua and GEJ, of their own free will, respectively go for those worthless and destructive characters while shunning the many distinguished and upright disciples of the law Nigeria parades. This is the biggest clue PDP Presidents are not dedicated to critical reform.

If you want to deliver reform you must seek out genuine reformers. The likes of Falana, Fawehinmi, Agbakoba et al were/are there. Some have gone to jail many times for Nigeria and stood up to the worst dictator our Nation has known. Yet successive PDP President shun those men to make corrupt crooks our AGF because those Presidents, self-destructively, are merely interested in immoral men who can help them continue the effort to make our judiciary a subjective tool that is institutionally weak and only capable of abetting the warped agenda of the rich and powerful in society.

"By their appointees ye shall know them". Simple as that. We are going nowhere when successive President shun brilliant, distinguished and fearless disciples of the law to empower crooks, mediocrities and cheap extortionists who will use the office of AGF/Minister of justice as a tool of massive self aggrandizement and an instrument with which to pervert and undermine justice.
Sorry Gbawe, what Mr Falana was saying cut across all parties. Ask us in Badagry and we know that ACN has been oppressing us with the judiciary ever since. Its a different ball game for different areas. May God help Nigeria.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by gunuvi(m): 4:56pm On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

This is why some us hold that, fundamentally, the PDP has to go. No PDP President, since 1999, has shown an interest in the genuine reform of critical/transformational sectors that can turn around Nigeria drastically. We do not need to belabour the notion that a strong judiciary is needed to negate the lawlessness and "justice for sale" impunity now consuming and shaming Nigeria.

What then are Nigerian Presidents playing at, doing the opposite of what is required, deploying AGF/Minister of justice who are ultra-corrupt and morally bankrupt men like Aondoakaa and Adoke-Bello? Yet we all saw Yar Adua and GEJ, of their own free will, respectively go for those worthless and destructive characters while shunning the many distinguished and upright disciples of the law Nigeria parades. This is the biggest clue PDP Presidents are not dedicated to critical reform.

If you want to deliver reform you must seek out genuine reformers. The likes of Falana, Fawehinmi, Agbakoba et al were/are there. Some have gone to jail many times for Nigeria and stood up to the worst dictator our Nation has known. Yet successive PDP President shun those men to make corrupt crooks our AGF because those Presidents, self-destructively, are merely interested in immoral men who can help them continue the effort to make our judiciary a subjective tool that is institutionally weak and only capable of abetting the warped agenda of the rich and powerful in society.

"By their appointees ye shall know them". Simple as that. We are going nowhere when successive President shun brilliant, distinguished and fearless disciples of the law to empower crooks, mediocrities and cheap extortionists who will use the office of AGF/Minister of justice as a tool of massive self aggrandizement and an instrument with which to pervert and undermine justice.
Sorry Gbawe, what Mr Falana was saying cut across all parties. Ask us in Badagry and we know that ACN has been oppressing us with the judiciary ever since. Its a different ball game for different areas. May God help Nigeria.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by gunuvi(m): 4:58pm On Feb 02, 2013
thelastPope:

Funny statement coming from you when you were the one that turned the thread into a party thread. The thread is about powerful Nigerians hijacking justice! Tinubu is a part of those powerful Nigerians! In your own partisan world, powerful Nigerians=PDP. But we all know better. Powerful Nigerians exist in all the parties. Lagos state hijacked justice in the last LGA elections. As long as you keep coming up with these your "campaign posters" on NL, we will continue to call you out. We need a new Nigeria not a new party!
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by gunuvi(m): 5:00pm On Feb 02, 2013
thelastPope:

My brother, you said it all. Nigeria problem my after all be the fault of the leaders but the fault of some few cheap brains who comment based on their throat on NL.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by honeric01(m): 5:36pm On Feb 02, 2013
thelastPope:

[b]Buhari was there for 20 months before. what did he achieve? He was PTF chairman for five years. What did he achieve? Can you point to the infrastructure that he spent over 100 billion naira on? Do you know what the value of 100 billion naira was between 1994 to 1999? [/b]That the man presents himself like a poor man doesnt mean he is poor. It is only an act! The only thing that will change Nigeria is action from the people to insist on good governance and accountability, not any so called messiah of a man! It is total laziness from people like you who dont want to take responsibility as Nigerians to insist on good governance that is the problem of Nigeria, not corruption. You are looking up to a 70+ years old man to come and change the country? Isnt that a big shame on you? One voice of change is what we need! Not a new person or a new party. Whatever party wins at the polls should be put under pressure to perform. Criticism based on issues is fine. Why I always call out some people on here is because they do not criticize as Nigerians. They criticize as party members.

Seriously, you mean you don't know what he did?

you're joking right? undecided
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Gbawe: 6:37pm On Feb 02, 2013
gunuvi:

Look, some of us have other Nations to take our examples from aside the aberration that is Nigeria. Who is most responsible, throughout the world, for setting precedence and examples if not the ruling party that has a clear majority everywhere and occupies, by far, the most powerful offices in the land - especially pertinent in the case of the judicial arm?

What do you guys think ruling Parties do throughout the world if not deliver policies and direction they swim or sink by?

If we are simply going to turn around and claim everything is a 'general problem' why do we bother voting for a government at all?

When Falana posits that "powerful Nigerians have hijacked justice" who has allowed that if not the Government that controls all influential offices with which to shape our judiciary for the past 14 years yet has created the atmosphere of impunity Falana berates? Let us get real in Nigeria. This is not how others reason elsewhere. How have we gotten to this position where Nigerians are now so dishonest with themselves they cannot even simply admit that this problem can be traced to the ruling Party that has the power, numbers and offices to effect changes yet fails to do so?

Does anyone from the ACN or CPC appoint the AGF or chief justice of Nigeria? What is the majority the PDP enjoys in the upper and lower house that it cannot influence our judiciary for good since 1999? Which Party is the Senate President and deputy Senate President from? Which Party controls the positions of Speaker lower house and deputy speaker?

In civilised Nations where citizens are ambitious and politically sophisticated it will be obvious the State of our judicial system is not a 'general problem'. The military boys set the precedence and then moved on to the PDP to carry on what they begun after shedding their khakis for babarigas.

Given the numerous pertinent powerful office and clear advantages the ruling Party enjoys, go and ask non-Nigerians who they think should shape our judiciary for the better. When we cannot even hold incompetence to account then we are going nowhere as a Nation.

1 Like

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by seanet01: 6:40pm On Feb 02, 2013
See last pope did not know what Buhari achieved when in power?
Did you know Nigeria was Exporting REFINED PETROLEUM PRODUCTS DURING BUHARI'S REGIME?
Stop comparing death with sleep jo.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by thelastPope(m): 8:49pm On Feb 02, 2013
seanet01: See last pope did not know what Buhari achieved when in power?
Did you know Nigeria was Exporting REFINED PETROLEUM PRODUCTS DURING BUHARI'S REGIME?
Stop comparing death with sleep jo.

Nigeria was exporting refined petroleum as in Buhari built refineries? What nonsense are you talking about? You sure you are not drunk? Did Buhari build any refinery? Did he upgrade our refineries? Did he do even a TAM? Some of you just come to NL to spew garbage! Buhari that was hiding behind Idiagbon for 20 months? Spare us the BS!
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by jmaine: 9:58pm On Feb 02, 2013
thelastPope:

The problem I have with you ACN folks is that you turn everything into a political campaign and have no true love for Nigeria. Simple questions for you:

1. Why have the opposition never sponsored bills to change these laws?

2. Do the opposition have to wait for them to produce a president to sponsor these bills? No matter the party in power in the USA, the opposition will always raise and try to push through, bills that reflect their ideology, whether they are passed on not. That is what they actually use in their campaign to come back to power.

3. Why have the opposition never implemented or championed anti-corruption laws and projects in their controlled states. Their states are as corrupt as any PDP states and sometimes even more as they perpetuate a one man rule system.

4. Why are opposition members of NASS part and parcel of the corruption in the NASS? They are all represented in all the corrupt committees in the house of reps and have never raised objections to corruption. I would have expected them to expose the ruling party practices in the house and actually use that as springboards to gain public acceptance, but they have chosen instead to be part and parcel of the corruption and only come out to say GEJ is corrupt when they want to do a political campaign.

So when you say PDP must go, I wonder what you mean. Which PDP? Go where? In the last two presidential elections, ACN has presented two former PDP persons as their presidential candidates. In 2007, ACN presented Atiku Abubarkar, one of the biggest thieves in Nigeria, as their presidential candidate. In 2011, the ACN again presented a former PDP person as their presidential candidate and the ACN leader was in Aso rock to make a deal with PDP and collect agunje. How are they going to now fight corruption? The last governorship candidate for ACN in Akwa Ibom state was a former PDP senator who for 8 good years, did nothing in the senate but collect money. The list can go on and on. Even the twitter warlord El Rufai was a former PDP corrupt politician who sold lands in Abuja to his cronies. Are these the alternative that would fight corruption?

The antidote to good governance is pressure from the people, not your proposed exchange of kettle with pot! Most of you keep showing yourselves up as party members doing early campaign in 2013 rather than concerned Nigerians who would love to see a new and a changed Nigeria! Sad!

This post killed it . . .Need i say more . . . . . .
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Kairoseki77: 1:38am On Feb 03, 2013
You peeps are silly.

There has only been one party in charge of government since 1999, but some posters here are 100% SURE that every other party would rule the same way.

You are just guessing. You have no idea what would happen, because its never been done before.

Besides, I don't think people talk about ACN because they are members of the party. I think people talk about ACN because they are the only party that seems to actually take the job of governing seriously. Does anyone talk about ANPP, or any of the other small parties??

Whining and saying "THEY WILL ALL BE BAD!" is just lazy. So if they will all be bad, should Nigeria just give up? Should every citizen just drown in a lake because you say it's never going to get better?

Pressure comes from a strong opposition party, period. That's why America has been a democracy for 250 continuous years.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by phoneport247: 3:15am On Feb 03, 2013
WHAT A SHAMEFUL SHAME
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by phoneport247: 3:15am On Feb 03, 2013
The woes of a confederated state called a nation, sometimes I wish I was never born a nigerian.
It is so painful that we have no legacy to leave for our children.
Big crimes are pardoned why petty stealing is now a serious crime highly punishable.
The message now is?
IF YOU WANT TO STEAL IN NIGERIA, STEAL BIG AND YOU WILL BECOME A CELEBRITY.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by teadrake(m): 3:43pm On Feb 03, 2013
YE!!What a country of tyranny,Those uniport students that were lynched as a result of unclaimed offences,Has the police remand anybody yet?Is alrite,I want my own share from the federation account o!!! 4billion will surely do
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by afm4ever(m): 9:12am On Feb 04, 2013
Na like dis we go dey dey?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibos Never Reply When Northerners Insult Them. Why??? / 10 Beautiful photos of Lagos you will mistake for london / Fg Will Ensure Nigerian Traders In Ghana Get Justice, Osinbajo Assures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.