Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos (6581 Views)

Ayodele Fayose's Inauguration Ceremony Pictures / Bunmi Awoniyi Is A Superior Court Judge In US / Lawyers Flout Nba's Directive, Attend Investiture Of 30 New Sans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Nobody: 6:06pm On Feb 02, 2013
As many of you may recall, a Nigerian was sworn in as a justice to the Superior Court of California in December. Honorable Judge Bunmi O. Awoniyi is the first Nigerian in California history to receive such honors. More on her swearing in can be found here:

Bunmi Awoniyi Is a Superior Court Judge in US

I had the privilege of attending and being in company with family, friends, and plenty of new faces. She had attendance and support from an array of members from the Nigerian community as well as her personal friends, family, staff, etc. Her parents flew in from London, England. Her children were in attendance accept for one of her sons, who was busy with school. One of her friends, a physician, flew in from Louisiana on the evening of the occasion. It was a big occasion folks.

The investiture held on the evening of 1/2/2013 at the Capitol Plaza in Downtown Sacramento. It's a lovely, multi-storied building... an old one too. There's actually an elevator operator as it still runs like the old ones from the early 1900s.

The brochure for the event (designed by my sister may I add).

The investiture ceremony lasted less than two hours. It began with performances from members of YHI (Yoruba Heritage International). There were speeches made by a couple of fellow superior court judges, personal friends, and a Reverend Father. Her son sang the American National Anthem at the beginning of the ceremony and "America the Beautiful" at the conclusion. Honorable Awoniyi also spoke, thanking her friends, husband and children, SAN (Sacramento Association of Nigerians), and, most importantly, her parents. "Your sacrifice was my opportunity", she said of them. They received a standing and roaring ovation.

After the main ceremony, there was a reception. There were fruits, veggies, and other finger foods (both western and Nigerian), with light music playing in the background. She posed for some photos in the investiture room before the main dinner.

The investiture room as well as the dinner hall were PACKED. I believe the limit was 240 as she gave SAN 120 seats and took the rest for friends, families, and 34 other justices. She actually invited over 170 people and wasn't worried, thinking they'd leave after the main ceremony and there would be room during dinner. There were over 300 people in attendance with people standing both during the investiture and dinner. Considering that this was a multicultural event (a British Nigerian sworn in as a California justice), people were intrigued and stayed.

Honorable Awoniyi made her entrance to the dinner hall around 8:45pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZRYwaKPrdo&feature=youtu.be

After a few brief congratulatory messages, dinner was served. There was an assortment of meats, fish, rices, and efo riro, and pepper soup. During dinner, there was a performance by the Akwa Ibom association of Sacramento. It's a performance I missed as I was busy serving moin moin and chicken, but the music sounded lovely and their ovation was loud. Later on in the evening, members of YHI performed for Honorable Awoniyi, her husband, and her parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HUB5ZeA8lk

This was my favorite, albeit long. The video doesn't do it much justice but it was intriguing nonetheless. This was the final performance of the night. Honorable Awoniyi spent the rest of the evening, posing with celebrants and dancing with her family.

Also in attendance were Professors Steve and Uche Ugbah. Professor Ugbah contested for governorship in Benue state in 2011 and lost to fraud

She was supposed to be taking pictures but "Ashawo Remix" started playing

And that's it! So another congratulations to Honorable Judge Bunmi Awoniyi on a remarkable and historical achievement. I think I speak for us all when I say that she has made Nigerians across the globe extremely proud cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by tpia5: 6:22pm On Feb 02, 2013
Is she a nler?

If yes, she should reveal her handle plz, unless its not advisable for her to do so.

Nigeria the worst place to be born indeed.
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 02, 2013
[size=13pt]Lol. Not to my knowledge.[/size]
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Nobody: 6:40pm On Feb 02, 2013
That is what I call a proud moment. Justice Awoniyi is indeed a role-model for Nigerian youths. Congrats once again, to her and d family. It's also good that the Nigerian community in Sacramento turned out to celebrate her achievement.
The pictures look great too. Ogugua, you just dey get prettier by the day cool

1 Like

Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by SAKUR: 8:55pm On Feb 02, 2013
Good one.... I live in Sacramento and nobody invited me??
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 02, 2013
SAKUR: Congratulations....But I live in Sacramento and nobody invited me??

You live in Sacramento? That's awesome.
I guess those in charge of the invitations didn't do enough publicity.
BTW, I live in San Diego County.
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by DisGuy: 11:07pm On Feb 02, 2013
go Ogugua888 wink

1 Like

Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by PaulJohn1: 12:36am On Feb 03, 2013
Nice one
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Asis(m): 1:04pm On Feb 03, 2013
Wow hw awesome..
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 03, 2013
I'm happy for her. May Obatala bless us all.
And thanks for the detailed sharing,Ogugua

1 Like

Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by manny4life(m): 1:13pm On Feb 03, 2013
Congratulations to her.

What is the Superior Court of CA? Is that like the State Supreme Court?

Please don't tell me to ask Google... embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Kairoseki77: 1:14pm On Feb 03, 2013
manny4life: Congratulations to her.

Please don't tell me to ask Google... embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Click here: [url]google.com[/url]
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by manny4life(m): 1:17pm On Feb 03, 2013
Michaeljones36:

Ask google. tongue

Click here: [url]google.com[/url]

Thank you.

Like I said, "Don't ask me to ask Google", meaning, I want to hear from people who live in CA.
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by 50calibre(m): 1:28pm On Feb 03, 2013
This is very nice, someday she might be a district attorney. This goes to buttress that statement that America is the home of the brave and the land of the free
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by mrkels(m): 1:28pm On Feb 03, 2013
manny4life:
Thank you.
Like I said, "Don't ask me to ask Google", meaning, I want to hear from people who live in CA.

OK... You would get all the explanation here my friend [url=google.com]Superior Court of CA[/url]

BTW...I see one girlie in glasses and on a local funny looking attire cheesy
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by mascot87(m): 1:40pm On Feb 03, 2013
so sweet,I am proud of her and may God Almighty continue to uplift her and her family. She has made us proud in Nigeria. I pray for myself also to serve as a positive impact to my nation internationally, so help me God

1 Like

Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by illuminutty: 1:44pm On Feb 03, 2013
nice lips and clean white teeth *BJ tinz on my mind* shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by KINGwax(m): 1:51pm On Feb 03, 2013
tpia@:
Is she a nler?

If yes, she should reveal her handle plz, unless its not advisable for her to do so.

Nigeria the worst place to be born indeed.
kai!!!!
Tpia, u fall ma hand. But i will keep to ma affronts jes for now, jes cos it's u. Nxt time...
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by fuke(m): 1:52pm On Feb 03, 2013
Too many Nigeria brains abroad
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Nobody: 1:58pm On Feb 03, 2013
fuke: Too many Nigeria brains abroad

This is type of people our government needs to bring home and let them apply their expertise in order to move Nigeria forward. But they won't do that; they will continue to use the same rogues and corrupt Nigeria officials they've been using since the independents to

1 Like

Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by tpia5: 2:03pm On Feb 03, 2013
KINGwax: kai!!!!
Tpia, u fall ma hand. But i will keep to ma affronts jes for now, jes cos it's u. Nxt time...

What are you on about?
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by suxes2005(m): 2:07pm On Feb 03, 2013
Wish my comment gets 2 frontpage koments.

I'll be happy!!!

Congo to her. Go fvcuk Obama
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by manny4life(m): 2:27pm On Feb 03, 2013
mrkels:

OK... You would get all the explanation here my friend [url=google.com]Superior Court of CA[/url]

BTW...I see one girlie in glasses and on a local funny looking attire cheesy

Nice try

If you live in CA, then answer the question, if not... OP please answer. grin

Funny looking attire kwa? Your bad mouth is just too much, ok OP reply back. grin grin
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by pak: 2:52pm On Feb 03, 2013
@ogugua,
what part of nigeria are your folks originally from ?

You look nice in that yoruba native attire by the way.
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by anonimi: 3:07pm On Feb 03, 2013
How many non-yorubas are judges in Lagos state despite the taxes paid by them since time immemorial

And we wonder why our country is emptying itself to these oyinbo places on voluntary slavery!

1 Like

Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 03, 2013
A big congrat to her.She is just one amongst many Nigerians excelling here in the United States.May this be the beginning of her success in American Judicial system.Can you imagine the whites calling her Yoruba name here and there.That makes me proud to be a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by anonimi: 3:26pm On Feb 03, 2013
chingyjant: A big congrat to her.She is just one amongst many Nigerians excelling here in the United States.May this be the beginning of her success in American Judicial system.Can you imagine the whites calling her Yoruba name here and there.That makes me proud to be a Nigerian

But doesn't change the fact that we are from one of the worst countries on earth CURRENTLY and we are doing very little to change that FACT.
Rather we are contributing our skills and efforts (as well as early investments on our education by the Nigerian government at different levels- LG [primary], state [secondary] and federal [tertiary]} to build another country while ours continues to slide further.
That Nigerian investment may not have been made for this generation directly but to the parents whose income benefits the kids who are today's adults.

1 Like

Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by KINGwax(m): 3:31pm On Feb 03, 2013
tpia@:

What are you on about?
stop insultin ma country. If it irks u so much, nobody's holding u not to take up nationality and citizenry of hiati. Plssssss. Ok?
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 03, 2013
illuminutty :
nice lips and clean white teeth *BJ tinz on my mind* shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin

Na wa for this guy. You just turned a whole superior court judge in the US into a sex object.
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by Nobody: 3:55pm On Feb 03, 2013
manny4life: Congratulations to her.

It's a Trial Court, just like a Federal District Court.
Re: Bunmi Awoniyi's Investiture Ceremony: Pictures & Videos by tpia5: 6:10pm On Feb 03, 2013
KINGwax: stop insultin ma country. If it irks u so much, nobody's holding u not to take up nationality and citizenry of hiati. Plssssss. Ok?

care to explain in plain english what exactly is getting your goat?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Results From Gombe. Who Did This To Jonathan? / The APC Is Giving Vent To What Constitutes Hate Speech - Segun Showunmi / Fight At APC Convention Wounds 70, As Buhari & Atiku Supporters Clash (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.