Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon (23318 Views)

Nigeria's First 'Frozen Egg' Baby / Head Transplant Surgery Possible By 2017...neurosurgeon Says. / Watch A Neurosurgeon Perform A Subdural Hematoma Operation - VIDEO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Nobody: 5:02pm On Feb 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Don't blame the youth for that. In the advanced nations, their youths are also unserious to a significant degree, but the nation's elite are well-read and able to prioritize. They know where music, sports, entertainment, scholarship, research, technology, etc. belong, and they know how to progress with any of the listed.

Nigeria's crop of leaders, though well-read to some extent themselves, are largely mentally inept, and are perennially chasing after cheap thrills. Imagine the oil minister scrambling to be friends with a jeweller and watchmaker to the stars. Or the way in which top government functionaries scramble for tickets to watch Chris Brown or Maxwell, splashing out cash for front-row 'VIP' seats. embarassed

Or is it the relentless 'importation' of call-girls from every part of the globe by some delinquent South-South governors?

when you read of old men going to this day concert to watch busta smoke weed on stage, you go jus shame
i'm sure some senators and their kids went together to the concert
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Iyaniwura123: 5:06pm On Feb 18, 2013
Thank you so very much for your time and kind suggestions. As for the length, I will work on that wink Thanks a lot.
opeoluwa2: Iyaniwura,I must commend your style of writing.Good use of narative technique.
Your post are always informative but verrrrry long*lol*
Thank you for this piece,its coming at a time when there is scarcity of role model.There is hardly no true character or people of sacrificial integrity anymore.Every one wants to make quick money, and no one cares for the next person.
Thank you anyway.more ink to your golden pen.

1 Like

Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by AjanleKoko: 5:06pm On Feb 18, 2013
oyb:

when you read of old men going to this day concert to watch busta smoke weed on stage, you go jus shame
i'm sure some senators and their kids went together to the concert

I have a first hand account. Don't worry.
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Nobody: 5:08pm On Feb 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I have a first hand account. Don't worry.

ebe like say u too join my ogas for office go shake booty with the teeny boppers cheesy
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Iyaniwura123: 5:10pm On Feb 18, 2013
grin grin grin #As per digressionthings
dominique: what a phenomenal individuall, very few people in the world can gain o many achievements within a lifepan of les than 50. Too bad very few people know of him. Sucks to come from a country that don't celebrate true heroes.

Iyaniwura, that your digression na wa grin
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Iyaniwura123: 5:14pm On Feb 18, 2013
Thanks a lot, I will break them into sections now. Your contribution is appreciated.
Sagamite:

It would have been bearable and tempting to read if he could have at least broke it into sections and sub-headed the sections. undecided

Very simple things that make a huge difference if Nigerians just aim to be as good as possible as they can be.
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by abdulkayus(m): 5:14pm On Feb 18, 2013
dis very interestin and informative thread has jus reach 2 pages, bt if its some useless nonsensical thread nw, it would hav reach 5 pages. Dat show u dat Nigerians themselves dont value Heros.

2 Likes

Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by AjanleKoko: 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2013
oyb:

ebe like say u too join my ogas for office go shake booty with the teeny boppers cheesy

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 18, 2013
yes naija is useless confirmed! if i hear any person saying naija is better than europe. medical practice have been rendered impracticable. Phds are scorned at. everything is upside down. if anyone is scientist or medic and want to contribute positively to humanity, that person should migrate from the jungle called naija.
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Theloveth(m): 5:34pm On Feb 18, 2013
This will go down as one on the longest post i have read online.OP una weldone
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Theloveth(m): 5:34pm On Feb 18, 2013
This will go down as one of the longest post i have read online.OP una weldone

1 Like

Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by chreldb(m): 5:47pm On Feb 18, 2013
Interesting. If only Nigeria could come to better appreciate people like this the country would be a much better place to live in. But unfortunately criminals and thieves are the ones being exalted and honored. This has led to the youths having misplaced priorities making them irrational and delusional. To the extent that they have been misled to think that the only way to success and accomplishment in life is becoming famous like Wizkid, Davido, Timaya e.t.c. or becoming a politician that has access to illegal wealth and a false success. I have nothing against celebrities or politicians or any talented individual that is following his/her calling. My only problem is that the things that Nigerians should concentrate on in order to be successful as a country have been abandoned. The norm is that the average Nigerian would rather take the short cut to pseudo success. Because it is the general thinking that it is a waste of time to dedicate your life to research and academic education that could potentially benefit not just yourself but your country people because you will not become rich that way. Failing to understand that money is not everything and success in life is not only determined by how much money you have/make but also the impact you have on lives around you. And how much money are we looking for really? We all talk about Bill Gates and Warren Buffet when we want to give an example of how people make money. But the irony is that those two men have realised that they, their families and future generations cannot even spend all the money they honestly and genuinely made in their life time and have pledged majority of it to charity. But politicians in Nigeria steal money that does not even belong to them, of which they will never be able to spend all that money throughout their whole life but store in banks while keeping it away from the citizens that really need it for scholarships, health care just to mention a few. My point is we need more of prof Odeku than Davido, Wizkid, IBB, OBJ, GEJ e.t.c. and we need to renew our minds, resensitise ourselves, change our mentality to move foward as a country. The greatest men in the world all came to understand one thing at some point. And that is true success is measured by the amount of lives you have affected positively and the magnitude of the effect you have on those lives. Riches and wealth will always come as a by product and will also pass away with you. But your impact will remain forever just like Prof Odeku. #my opinion. THANK YOU OP FOR THIS BRILLIANT PIECE

8 Likes

Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by wengerjay(m): 5:56pm On Feb 18, 2013
Compare and contrast Captain(rtd) Labode George and Dr Latunde Odeku in a sentence.

1 Like

Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by skyone(m): 6:05pm On Feb 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Don't blame the youth for that. In the advanced nations, their youths are also unserious to a significant degree, but the nation's elite are well-read and able to prioritize. They know where music, sports, entertainment, scholarship, research, technology, etc. belong, and they know how to progress with any of the listed.

Nigeria's crop of leaders, though well-read to some extent themselves, are largely mentally inept, morally bankrupt, and are perennially chasing after cheap thrills. Imagine the oil minister scrambling to be friends with a jeweller and watchmaker to the stars. Or top government functionaries scrambling for tickets to watch Chris Brown or Maxwell, splashing out cash for front-row 'VIP' seats. embarassed

Or is it the relentless 'importation' of call-girls from every part of the globe by some delinquent South-South governors? Whichever way you look at it, Nigeria's elite are largely a disgrace to the nation.

YOU NAILED IT UP.
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Sagamite(m): 6:43pm On Feb 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Nigeria's crop of leaders, though well-read to some extent themselves, are largely mentally inept, morally bankrupt, and are perennially chasing after cheap thrills. Imagine the oil minister scrambling to be friends with a jeweller and watchmaker to the stars. Or top government functionaries scrambling for tickets to watch Chris Brown or Maxwell, splashing out cash for front-row 'VIP' seats. embarassed

Or is it the relentless 'importation' of call-girls from every part of the globe by some delinquent South-South governors? Whichever way you look at it, Nigeria's elite are largely a disgrace to the nation.

A fcking disgrace but yet the righteous Nigerian fucktards would be climbing over each other to pray for them at the drop of a hat.
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Sagamite(m): 6:48pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ìyániwúrà123: Thanks a lot, I will break them into sections now. Your contribution is appreciated.

I didn't read it, bruv. Too long for me.

I read like the first 3 paragraphs and super-scanned the rest to look for achievement words like "University", "United", "World", "Minister", "International","Registrar" etc.

I would suggest if something needs to be this long, accepted best practice is to let the first paragraphs summarise everything about the piece and the rest expand on the sentences of each line or group of lines in the starting summary. That is the technique used by leading newspapers the Financial Times, The Economist, Times etc.

It would make it very easy and enticing to read.
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by TableLeg(m): 6:51pm On Feb 18, 2013
kramer: This some long a$$ post undecided
And no body forced your trifling as..shole to read!

1 Like

Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Iyaniwura123: 6:51pm On Feb 18, 2013
Thanks a lot. Your contribution is noted.
Sagamite:

I didn't read it, bruv. Too long for me.

I read like the first 3 paragraphs and super-scanned the rest to look for achievement words like "United", "World", "Minister", "Registrar" etc.

I would suggest if something needs to be this long, accepted best practice is to let the first paragraphs summarise everything about the piece and the rest expand on the sentences of each line or group of lines in the starting summary. That is the technique used by leading newspapers the Financial Times, The Economist, Times etc.

It would make it very easy and enticing to read.
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Sagamite(m): 6:54pm On Feb 18, 2013
Aggrippa: yes naija is useless confirmed! if i hear any person saying naija is better than europe. medical practice have been rendered impracticable. Phds are scorned at. everything is upside down. if anyone is scientist or medic and want to contribute positively to humanity, that person should migrate from the jungle called naija.

I would give them one thing though. They have vastly improved the remuneration of medical staff in Nigeria (at least at federal level) to make it more attractive. Now people in that profession are one of the highest paid in Nigeria and one of the best paid in the world pound-for-pound (PPP).

All that needs to happen now is to ensure they provide them with the environment, facilities and training that is one of the best in the world too. Hopefully that would happen when this person is voted off presidency.
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by TableLeg(m): 6:55pm On Feb 18, 2013
LEGEND
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Ejine(m): 7:23pm On Feb 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

That's why you can't graduate angry

Bros, don't pop a vein o.
I gave up on these people a long time ago grin
this is the 2go generation. Go with flow grin grin
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Puvguy: 7:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
Interesting narrative OP, very interesting... best I have read here by a mile. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by MMM2(m): 7:42pm On Feb 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

GOD forbid

Beside am not a student undecided
AjanleKoko:

GOD forbid

Beside am not a student
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 18, 2013
Sagamite:

The person that it was addressed to has seen the value. When you are educated enough, maybe you will see it too.

In the mean time, shut up, moronic product of a failed education system with substandard mentality!
The truth is bitter, no wonder u wer so workd up. Like durrh!
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by ajanaku2(m): 8:16pm On Feb 18, 2013
What a Man! What a Piece!...Iyaniwura...Respect!...
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by DrummaBoy(m): 8:29pm On Feb 18, 2013
I saw the his burst in the library @ UCH and was wondering what the story was behind him until I read those piece. Thanks Iyaniwura for the enlightenment
Re: Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon by kramer: 8:30pm On Feb 18, 2013
Table Leg :

And no body forced your trifling as..shole to read!

Please who is this f00l? i know you from somewhere?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Care And Management Of Body Odour / Gunmen Assassinate UBTH Doctor, Otote Osaikhuomwan, Colleagues Protest (Photos) / Three Crowns Milk Launches Program To Keep Nigerians Fit While At Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.